By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Sparks

Here is a list of all the postings Sparks has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Variable resistors
18/04/2019 19:20:41

Here is a zero-cost solution using the existing 5 Ohm pot.

If its a three terminal pot, connect the two outer terminals together and connect to voltage input.

Then take the output from the middle (wiper) terminal. For a 5 ohm pot, this will give you a 0>1.25>0 Ohm pot.

e.g. at beginning and and end of pot travel, resistance will be 0 Ohm. At mid-span resistance will 1.25 Ohm.

You could restrict pot movement to half scale mechanically to give 0>1.25 Ohm span. The travel/resistance will be a little non-linear, but shouldn't be a problem in this application.

Hope that helps, Sparks

Thread: Servo /RX incompatibility?
05/03/2019 22:04:38

Hi Phil,

Have you checked what servo frame rate your transmitter is set up for?

On my Spektrum DX8 you can set a frame rate of 11ms or 22 ms.

The older Analogue Servos require the slower frame rate of 22ms.

The newer Digital servos are happy with frame rates of 11ms or 22ms, but give a faster response with a frame rate of 11ms.

On the DX8, the frame rate setting can be found in the 'system setup' menu.

Thread: Announcing Plans for the 2019 Mass Build
01/10/2018 19:44:05

From the previous posts, an Astro Hog would be appropriate build!

Astro Hog

Thread: Ebay sellers...
25/07/2017 20:11:52

Now, here's a bargain for someone!

Thread: whats safest and why
20/07/2017 19:19:29

'B' looks a bit dodgy to me as a prop coming off a plane on the rear row could hit someone on the front row... and vice versa.

Sparks

Thread: Wifi Central Heating Controls
08/07/2017 14:20:48

Hi Erflog, I would check the channel setting jumpers on your neighbour's installation.

My Altech Wireless CH system was behaving erratically, so I checked with my neighbour who had the same installation (same fitter) . Turned out both were set to the same default channel so we were controlling each others system.

I changed the channel jumpers on mine and sanity returned!

Sparks

Thread: Who's a lucky boy then?
08/06/2017 22:47:00

The postie delivered a 'mystery' parcel today. I was surprised to find I had won an Overlander TS80 Charger in the last competition. Many thanks to RCME and Overlander, much appreciated. My luck is obviously in so I think I ought to buy a lottery ticket now.

Sparks

Thread: changing lipo connectors
16/05/2017 08:42:52

... and when you twist the wire ends, don't forget to use gloves or tissue. You don't want all that grease on your fingers getting on your nicely cleaned wires.

Thread: 2017 Mass Build Voting Thread
07/11/2016 19:59:16

1. Astro Hog

2. SLEC Fun Fly

3. Maricado

Thread: 2017 Mass Build
17/10/2016 09:42:52

Another classic for consideration, the Astro Hog and its siblings. The plans are available for download from the usual sources.

The original Hog is 72" span, but there are also 48" and 36" (Mini Hog) versions as well.

The full size SIG kit is available at a price, but you would rather cut your own wood wouldn't you?

Here is my leccy powered Mini Hog:

Astro Hog

Sparks

03/10/2016 16:44:31

Blimey, is that time already, I've only just finished my Mini Jazz!

Thread: Mini Jazz builders hangout.
09/09/2016 19:27:22

Hi John,

I'm a slacker too, my excuse is house extension, decorating, life etc.

I did ask the question of the man himself, Malcolm Corbin, via the members email. His reply was:-

"The plan in the mag was drawn wrong. I set tail at zero!!"

So, that is what I have done.

I have just covered my Mini Jazz and hope to have it completed and maidened in a couple of weeks if the wind ever drops below gale force!

Good luck your Mini Jazz.

Sparks

Thread: SLEC building jig problem
19/07/2016 13:40:46

I used Conti board and drew the gridlines on the board with a black marker pen, very therapeutic!

Thread: Kit builders, what would you like???
30/04/2016 09:51:46

There was mention of a twin, how about the Grumman F7F Tigercat?

One day I shall build one, but would be good to have a kit to get me off the starting block.

Grumman F7F Tigercat

Thread: What size staples ?
18/11/2015 10:27:31

There's an Industria stapler and box of staples for sale on fleebay (here). It uses No 230 staples and the pictures show a box of OFREX 30/40 staples which may be equivalent to the Industria 230.

Hope that may help.

Sparks

Thread: Folding prop question.
28/10/2015 08:43:43

Hi Snorbitz,

Sounds like you haven't set the ESC to brake so as to stop the motor at min throttle setting.

The prop will only fold when stopped.

Sparks

Thread: Sign of the times - funnies
31/08/2015 19:38:14

I have just deleted all the German contacts from my 'phone.

It is now Hans free.

Thread: 2 stroke petrol engines
16/08/2015 09:13:56

Cymaz,

I think you will find that the BMFA suggested noise limit is 82dB(A) @ 7m

Thread: Droning on about Drones
10/07/2015 12:40:38

Though I have no intention of owning a drone I find Shahid's 'Heavy Lift' article very interesting and instructive.

His overall approach to design, safety, servicing and practicability could apply equally well to fixed wing machines.

So I'm all for articles like that.

Thread: Can I use my charger to charge my Dremel?
29/05/2015 08:55:25

Simon,

An obvious question, so apologies if you have already investigated this. There looks to be a wired-in glass fuse on the left side of the charger PCB. Have you checked the fuse is OK?

Regards, Richard

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Support Our Partners
Revoc
Motion RC
Slec
Pepe Aircraft
Wings & Wheels 2019
CML
Gliders Distribution
electricwingman 2017
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Does your club have a safety officer?
Q: Does your club have a safety officer, or is the emphasis on individual members to each be their own safety officer?

Yes we have a SO
 No, it's down to everyone

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us