By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Nigel Dell

Here is a list of all the postings Nigel Dell has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Threadlocked.
21/02/2020 16:50:25
Posted by PatMc on 21/02/2020 16:00:26:

If the servo is out of the model or you can remove it, try leaving it in the freezer for 30 mins or so then heat the screw with a soldering iron for just a few secs or carefully hold the servo arm in a cup of boiling hot water. The sudden changes in temps may give enough variation to do the trick.

I concur have done it this way with success, sometimes just a few seconds of the soldering iron without the freezing works fine, is it a metal geared servo?

You can afford a little more time with the heat, also a small point but using a pointed bit seems to work easier than a flat blade bit but only in minimising the damage done to the horn for me.

Thread: Poorly OS40 repair
17/02/2020 10:44:13

I think Jon it’s what you are comfortable doing otherwise you are making it more stressful, at the end of the day it is the imparting of information that is the important thing.

17/02/2020 09:11:00

I will second a movie Jon, always interesting seeing this.

Thread: RCME free plan 'Gamine'
07/02/2020 10:36:15

Nice that Paul, very nice👍🏻

Is that the material you got from eBay by any chance?

I got some in various colours but have not had a chance to use it yet.

Thread: Sopwith Camel, Tony Ray Models.
06/02/2020 08:03:36

And very well packed it was too Steve, always have had excellent service from the A team!👍🏻

I will keep you posted on the builds, Tony is obviously talented judging by first impressions of these kits and is deserving of your support, nice to see new blood in this game!

Nige.

Edited By Nigel Dell on 06/02/2020 08:04:17

Thread: Futaba
06/02/2020 07:56:16

Mike Ridley

Keith

you could try Mike, he covers most radios and gives an excellent service.

Thread: Sopwith Camel, Tony Ray Models.
05/02/2020 21:50:42

Hi Guys

Thanks for the messages and info, the kits arrived today due the usual SWM excellent service and Royal Mail of course.

These really are excellent little kits, the cutting is superb, I am going to have to raid my stash of Esaki tissue for these babies.

I am going to try and make a start in the next few days.

Nige.

04/02/2020 11:44:43

Thanks Colin for posting this here and thanks Steve for highlighting the distributor status.

I had seen the Tony Ray kits on eBay and was taking a closer look but other projects got in the way as they always do with me, this has reminded me to have a look and this morning have pulled the trigger on the DH 53 and Eindecker, I did agonise for the Taube and 504 but let’s get these done first!

Cheers chaps

Thread: OS FSR engines
01/02/2020 12:18:10
Posted by FlyinBrian on 01/02/2020 12:05:18:

I thought the liner flaking started with the FX series, my 40 FSR was fine but the 40FX needed a new liner and piston plus bearings after a couple of hours running.

I also has a .61FSR which I used with an E.D. pipe in my Super Star, boy that was a powerful motor.

It was bad with the FX but not started with that model by any stretch, I had a friend that went through liners in his ‘Hanno’ 61’s when competing in F3a with frightening regularity, he eventually found someone who could re-chrome, using chrome, his old liners and lap the pistons and this cured the problem.

He put me onto the idea of sorting the 40 which I never did as I had moved on by then but I was not alone with the problem with the FSR and that was from the guy who repaired my 40 at Irvine.

01/02/2020 01:55:56

As Robin says if it ain’t broke! ....

I bought both the 40 FSR and 40 FSR ABC back in the day, still got them! The ringed 40 has done many hours and though still giving good service, I treated it to a clean, new bearings and a new ring! It runs sweet and is stored away until I finish the new airframe for it.

The ABC however is the polar opposite, I had installed it in a Graphic 40, I had run it as per instructions and after 2 hours running it was not happy, the first time I had come across the problem of Nikasil flaking off the liner that OS went through, the piston and liner were replaced and it did another couple of hours running but I never really trusted it after that although it is still in fine fettle managing to retain its nikasil this time, it too is stored so I might use it but will be looking into getting the old liner re-chromed as a more hardy replacement in case it wants to snack on its liner surface again!

Still very good engines though, one of my favourites.

Thread: Flat plane wing question
21/01/2020 22:18:58

Mini Phase

there was indeed, 3/8” sheet wings.

Thread: Christmas Present for a Two Year-Old.
13/12/2019 21:05:38
Posted by Robin Colbourne on 13/12/2019 21:01:30:

I seem to remember when Jeremy Clarkson bought one and had it delivered home, his wife's reaction was, 'Its like living with a two year old!'

So how about a full-size English Electric Lightning?

👍🏻🤣 and no he won’t be able to chuck that either!🤔😀

11/12/2019 20:25:57

That will be fun David for all of you, some people seem to over think this, it’s all about garnering interest, we know at that age interest soon moves on but in the case of my neighbours boy he has a thing about planes, sounds familiar! And it still is played with toy. His Dad already has recently got some of the BMFA models such as a Dart and the Aerojet that Martin mentions, yes his Dad is getting interested as well and the balsa models are there for a time when he can understand more, he may be a bit premature but is keen to do father and son things.

11/12/2019 13:42:42
Posted by Andy48 on 11/12/2019 12:19:09:
Posted by Nigel Dell on 11/12/2019 07:07:03:

**LINK**

Hi David

A foamy Chuck Glider such as the MPX Fox is very resilient but there does seem to be things about.

Not in the hands of a 2 year old! It will be wrecked within minutes and he won't be able to chuck it anyway.

Edited By Andy48 on 11/12/2019 12:19:33

Funny, my neighbours 2 year old got on fine with the one I gave him, admittedly it took a while before he got the hang of it, hours rather than weeks, but is happy throwing it of sorts up and down the garden bouncing off everything even over the fence, I guess it depends on the 2 year old, he is 2 and 7 months now, he has even slept on it apparently and it still survived, he has not however tried to eat it. Tough stuff this elapor

I also think his Dad gets some enjoyment out it as well. 😁

Edited By Nigel Dell on 11/12/2019 13:45:03

Thread: Beware using PayPal with HobbyKing (and maybe others)
11/12/2019 07:16:32

You can choose to pay in $ from you credit/debit card in the PayPal screen and your bank does the conversion and not PayPal, I find that is more favourable.

Thread: Christmas Present for a Two Year-Old.
11/12/2019 07:07:03

**LINK**

Hi David

A foamy Chuck Glider such as the MPX Fox is very resilient but there does seem to be things about.

Thread: DB Hurricane paint and finish.
04/12/2019 09:59:05

It is illegal in Germany as you would expect and quite rightly, not here though.

04/12/2019 09:24:17

Yes I meant to also put up the Finnish schemes but the door bell rang and I was waylaid.

04/12/2019 09:00:11

Jon as you wanted different, how about captured ones? They are different! 😳😉

**LINK**

Thread: Radio Queen.
04/12/2019 08:53:28

That is a cracking looking Radio Queen E/FB 👍🏻 These vintage designs still look great don’t they.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
electricwingman 2017
Sussex Model Centre
CML
Cambridge Gliding Club
Slec
Wings & Wheels 2019
CADMA
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Do you use a throttle kill switch?
Q: This refers to electric-powered models but do you use a throttle kill switch?

Yes
 No
 Sometimes
 Rarely

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us