By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Steve Hargreaves - Moderator

Here is a list of all the postings Steve Hargreaves - Moderator has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: another newbie.
01/12/2019 18:14:47

Welcome to the forum Derek....thumbs up

Thread: Trimming Question after Crash :-(
11/11/2019 22:10:11

Frank, was that the red & white Goodrich one....about 60" span...like this

extra5.jpg

extra6.jpg

I had one too & you're right it had a really vicious streak. Lovely looking model but you always felt it had one malevolent eye on you waiting to drop your guard & get a bit careless with the elevator.

Much as I liked mine it was almost a relief when it crashed....dont know

Chris the best way to post pictures is to upload then to your Albums on the site & link to them there.

There's a "How to do it" Tutorial just here & here

Thread: The Gov't, CAA, BMFA & UAV legislation thread
10/11/2019 21:12:52
Posted by Andy Symons - BMFA on 10/11/2019 20:09:03:
Posted by Philip Lewis 3 on 10/11/2019 19:43:40:
When the BMFA upload the data to the CAA the CAA will e mail you the number and if you have and A,B or C will e mail you your pilot number.

From an IT perspective this should just happen as the upload will populate the system in the same way as someone who fills in the form so the response should be immediate.

Not quite, if you only get a flyer ID if you take the CAA test, if you are using the exemptions you do not need one. Basically the flyer ID is only a confirmation you have passed the CAA test.

@Andy Symons....can you just clarify that statement please. I understood we would ALL need a Flyer ID number & this number would have to appear on the model somewhere.

Point 6 of the statement from Dave Phipps on the 23/10 said...

Members who ‘opt in’ will receive an email from the CAA with their ‘Flyer ID’ once their data is uploaded. (Should a member be asked to provide proof of registration before receiving their Flyer ID the BMFA office will provide evidence of compliance.)

That reads to me as though all model flyers will need a Flyer ID

Have I missed something?

Thread: Trimming Question after Crash :-(
10/11/2019 17:38:36

Hi Christopher & welcome to the forum.....thumbs up

I'm not a "glider guider" so my experiences will be of little use but I wonder if you might have simply had too much movement & induced a high speed stall thus making the model flick into a spin. I had a YAK 54 (RIP) which was very prone to this.....too much elevator & Whoa...you'd best be 3 mistakes high or it was curtains (one day it did it & was only one & a half mistakes high & ran out of altitude, airspeed & idea all at the same time hence the RIP).

The flicking out of loops tends to support this theory too IMHO.

It may be that the model is one that prefers smooth high energy aerobatics using smaller control surface deflections rather than being forced through tight turns/loops etc. using a lot of control surface movement....

But as I say I'm not a glider man so hopefully someone who is will be along soon to set us on the right path...wink 2

Thread: Charge rate ???
10/11/2019 15:14:45

Does the 2.00 refer to the multiples of the C rating I wonder meaning you can charge it at 2C or 12A?

LiPos in my experience will take a 1C charge (ie 6A) with no problem at all with more recent ones accepting 2C (12A) & even 5C (30A) charge rates.

What make is the LiPo? What sort of discharge rate can it cope with? LiPos used in EDF tend to offer very high discharge rates of 40C, 50C, 60C or even higher.

Personally I can't see a 6A charge doing any harm at all...

Thread: Maricardo build
10/11/2019 15:08:24

Hi Tim & welcome to the forum....thumbs up

Putting "Maricardo" into the search box brings up over a dozen threads concerning the Maricardo so may a quick look through these will help....wink 2

Thread: Lidl XL Glider
03/11/2019 18:10:10

Could the motor from the quad be a brushed dc motor hence just two wires?

You can still buy small brushed ESCs.....maybe this one?

Thread: Looking for a trainer kit
23/10/2019 20:48:49

+1 for a Wot 4....suspect you will get bored of a Trainer very quickly....dont know

Thread: The component shop
13/10/2019 11:03:59

+1 from me too....great product range, great prices & great service....what's not to like....thumbs up

Thread: Selling scam?
06/10/2019 17:26:29

Caveat emptor.....or seller beware in this case but my Latin doesn't extend that far.....teeth 2

Where these is evidence of wrongdoing the Modelflying team will always take action but please contact us directly & ask us to investigate. We may not see a thread like this & hence be unaware of the problem.

As far as this case goes there is no evidence of that particular email being registered on this site hence what we can do is limited. As a public site clearly anyone could see your advert & contact you directly using the information given. They would not need to be a member of Modelflying to do this.

Thread: Another noob!
06/10/2019 17:19:00

Welcome to the Forum Robin....& welcome to your new...old hobby...

You'll find a lot of changes have occurred in the last 40 years.....wink 2

Thread: New on Site
06/10/2019 17:16:32

Welcome to the Forum Nitro Flyer... thumbs up

@ Steven Shaw....I suspect that isn't a link NF has posted...the site has picked up the @ symbol & thinks it's an email address...

Thread: RCM&E 2019 Fly-In - pics etc,,
14/09/2019 18:14:12

& in flight....

(Courtesy of Chris Bott)

Edited By Steve Hargreaves - Moderator on 14/09/2019 18:15:34

14/09/2019 18:11:26

TNs Harrier takes to the skies...

Thread: System hook ups
11/09/2019 18:08:52

You could do worse than check the Electric Flight For Beginners section on this very Forum.....there are lots of guides to the various components.

The best way is to read a bit...ask questions...read some more...ask more questions.....it really will start to come together for you.

Welcome back to the hobby & to the RCM&E Forum...thumbs up

Thread: Charge amps query
07/09/2019 21:09:25

If you have a multimeter pop it across the terminals of the battery....Anything over 12.5V is in a good state of charge....Max voltage you would see would be around 12.6V or so.

12V or under is completely flat....

Thread: Cyclon 2v cells
07/09/2019 21:03:55

I had 5Ah version for many years...only seemed to charge it once every blue moon. When it eventually died I replaced it with the 2.5Ah version.....it doesn't seem to last much more than a session or two.

IMHO the 5Ah version is worth the extra....

Thread: Mill 75 electric set up
27/07/2019 19:12:22

There was some discussion around the power of a Mills in this thread Richard which might be useful **LINK**

If it helps I have an electric powered Mini Tyro which is the sort of model a Mill 0.75 might have been used in & that flies very nicely on max 60W.....I did initially have about 100W in there & it really wasn't pleasant to fly...the torque of the electric motor made it want to roll every time I opened the throttle. Torque a theoretical concept where a Mills 0.75 is concerned however so I'd venture to suggest somewhere around the 50-60W mark would be about right....wink 2

Thread: Moon landing
21/07/2019 17:55:31

I was lucky enough to visit the Kennedy Space Centre during a work trip to the US a few years ago....if ever you get the chance...just go...it's an amazing place.....

Some pictures....

F1 Engine...the Saturn rockets had 5 of these....

apollo engine (2).jpg

Some facts about the engine......

apollo plaque.jpg

Business end of a Saturn V rocket....

saturn v (2).jpg

And slightly off topic but worth showing. They had not long opened a new museum on the Shuttle....to enter you walked under the main tank & between two of the solid rocket boosters....there's a person stood just next to the booster rocket on the right..... Big innit....

shuttle tanks (2).jpg

Just on the Van Allen belt too I read that travelling through this radiation would damage the eyes of anyone who passed through it. Apparently all the Apollo astronauts developed cataracts....wink 2

Thread: Newbie with some starter trainer plane balsa IC questions please.
14/07/2019 16:52:13

"mentioned fuels"....I wrote a book....teeth 2

Yes they do come pre-mixed....most usual to buy by the gallon....there are various suppliers hence the comment to choose something you can buy consistently. Model Technics are probably one of the biggest/most common suppliers...Opti fuel also quite common.

Consumption....I suspect you will have something around an 8oz tank in the model.....this will be good for easily 15 minutes, probably much more at the low-ish throttle setting you'll use in training & this will be plenty. 10 minutes per flight is usually enough as the concentration level needed are quite high & after 10 minutes you'l find your attention wandering. Obviously the more throttle you use the shorter the flight....

Forgot to mention glow plugs as well but I think the OS comes with one (most engines don't) so use whats provided. If not, an OS number 8 plug is a good match for the engine. (as with spark plugs you can buy different "heat ranges" of glow plugs)

Unlike Pandora's box you shouldn't WANT to put the lid back on....wink 2thumbs up

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Support Our Partners
CML
Cambridge Gliding Club
Gliders Distribution
Pepe Aircraft
electricwingman 2017
Slec
Wings & Wheels 2019
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Do you use a throttle kill switch?
Q: This refers to electric-powered models but do you use a throttle kill switch?

Yes
 No
 Sometimes
 Rarely

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us