By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Steve Hargreaves - Moderator

Here is a list of all the postings Steve Hargreaves - Moderator has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Free seaplane plan from the 80s
12/04/2019 21:59:17

Hi Alex & welcome to the forum......

I can't help you identify the model unfortunately but I'm sure someone will know.....

Good Luck....thumbs up

Thread: Hi I'm Laura
12/04/2019 21:56:29

Hi Laura & welcome to the forum.

Sorry to hear about the loss of your Dad.

But you've come to the right place....centuries if experience on here so any question you like...ask away. Are you planning to join a local club & learn to fly there? If you used to fly with your Dad I'm sure the knack will soon return.

Enjoy your new hobby...thumbs up

Thread: Ben Buckle Mini Super - Build
09/04/2019 21:55:25

2nd flick start...you'll see....thumbs up

09/04/2019 21:41:56

Yep... some wheels would be a good investment.....teeth 2

Not long now until you fire up that trusty diesel Luccaaa

Thread: Crankcase breather/. 4stroke
27/03/2019 21:48:28

I have done exactly that on my Pitts Special fitted with an ASP61 Frank....thumbs up

27/03/2019 21:33:08

Which engine is it FB? Some engines already have the breather pipe connected to the inlet manifold. Many of the OS engines breath through the castings so have no external breather.

If yours has a breather nipple in the crank case simply add a length of fuel tube long enough to clear the cowl & vent to atmosphere. Excess oil is discharged through the breather so if you don't vent this you'll be amazed at how oily the inside of the cowl becomes.

Thread: Field Box
17/03/2019 18:21:14

Looking good Will.....thumbs up

Just a couple of thoughts about the D cell though...

• how are you going to connect a glow lead to it? Maybe a battery box you can put the cell in & connect to the battery box
  • Will it supply enough current? Typically a glow plug will take 2-3 Amps...
  • The USB connection almost certainly won't handle the 2-3A draw from the glow plug.....

A good tip to to put a small cheap ammeter (like this) in series with the plug...that way you know if it's glowing inside the engine...wink 2

Thread: Big Trouble in Model Britain
10/03/2019 22:22:17

Built a lot of 1/72nd Airfix kits as a nipper...mainly Tanks & other vehicles....I also spent hours painting the soldiers.

When my boys were old enough to give them a go I was shocked at how small the parts are.....they seem a lot smaller than my 9 year old self remembers them.....

Edited By Steve Hargreaves - Moderator on 10/03/2019 22:27:10

Thread: Hello from Italy
10/03/2019 22:11:57

Hi Simon...welcome to the forum.

Look forward to your first build thread...thumbs up

Thread: Cheaper Teslas.....
10/03/2019 22:08:33

Off topic posts deleted...

Thread: Field Box
10/03/2019 17:11:44

Bit reluctant to say this if you've just bought a new SLA battery Will but....dump the SLA battery & replace it with a small 3S Lipo to power your Power panel glow driver & use a 3S LiPo (2200 is fine) for your starter (attached directly to the starter).

Less weight, more power....gotta be good...

Personally I'd ditch the Power panel altogether & use either an NiMH glow starter or (better still) a 2V SLA battery like this **LINK** (or maybe the 5Ah version).

More weight saving.....a smaller fuel bottle perhaps? a 1 litre can will get you many flights on that 46 glow motor...keep the bulk supply in the car...

Thread: Big Trouble in Model Britain
09/03/2019 21:44:19

I've just watched it too Geoff & as you say well worth a look if only to see the fine job made of the new Airfix model ready for it's debut......thumbs up

Thread: How much for a kit?
09/03/2019 21:27:42
Posted by paul coleman 1 on 05/03/2019 17:07:22:

I have just purchased the super flying models,piper cub kit to build a 67 in wing span,43 in fuse,elec or ic,for £89.99,you can but an artf one for about £120,i got mine off a dealer on ebay,as ripmax have not yet got them in stock for distribution,April or May expected,good quality kits.

Interesting model for a newcomer to R/C Paul......maybe get an experienced modeller to fly it for you first....wink 2

09/03/2019 10:42:04
Posted by paul coleman 1 on 09/03/2019 09:40:04:

Shouldnt we be sticking to the intended use of this site,model planes,im sure there will be plenty of sites to rant on about cars,happy landings everyone,when the weathers right that is.

The forum is a big tent Paul, there is room for many different subjects & opinions. The Chit Chat section was created specifically for "Anything & Everything".....indeed I saw a thread about growing Chillis recently....

All that we ask is that posters stick broadly to the topic under discussion in a particular thread & follow the CoC. There is no compulsion to read every thread. If the topic under discussion does not appeal to you then do not read it.

Simple as that really....

07/03/2019 21:06:57

Chaps, as Nigel & others have mentioned this thread is in great danger or re-running the circular arguments in the Electric Car thread.

Let's not go there eh? I'm not sure the servers could cope

Thread: Solarfilm
06/03/2019 20:00:26

The new address is in Coppull nr Chorley, not a million miles away from me so I might have to take a looksee.....

I know the site & it's not really an industrial manufacturing type site...more small offices & lock ups....so it seems unlikely that production is going on there. Clearly the address given might be the sales outlet with the product being manufactured elsewhere....

06/03/2019 19:46:40

Nikola Tesla was also an absolute genius who was so far ahead of his time it was difficult to comprehend. One reason he went bankrupt was his decision to release Westinghouse from the patents/contracts agreement he had with them as they were on the verge of bankruptcy. Had he pursued them & had Westinghouse been around to pay him I read he would be worth around $43 billion in today's money.....

He was an amazingly clever man & we owe much of today's electrical infrastructure to his ideas.

Thread: Electric setup advice
28/02/2019 21:21:17
Posted by Will Anderson on 26/02/2019 23:06:09:

After a chat with the instructor at the local club, Iv'e decided to keep the IC engine instead of electric. He suggested that you have an extra sense to hear the model in case you lose sight of it (in the sun for instance). Something thats more difficult with electric. So I'll box up all the leccy bits for a later project. Iv'e had plenty of years experience in my youth, building and tuning 2 stroke twin motorbike engines. So how hard can it be with a wee couple of CCs single?

I'd never thought of it like that but I think your instructor does make a valid point....by listening to the sound of the engine you can often tell if the model is climbing or diving from the sound of the engine.

Certainly not hard to operate a glow engine but it does take a little skill...you'll be well on your way to mastering it if you've been into 2 stroke bike engines (RDs or LCs perhaps...? wink 2). Best advice is to ask the guy who turns up...starts his engines first or second time, flies without incident & goes home....thumbs up

Look forward to hearing about your first solo....

Thread: Got bitten today :-(
28/02/2019 21:11:47

It doesn't really matter if it's Watts or burning methanol driving them.... spinning props hurt & are best kept away from fingers or indeed any soft fleshy parts....

Thread: Help - Middle Phase Recomended Throws & CofG?
28/02/2019 21:08:22

Hi David & Welcome to the forum......

Not a glider guider myself but I'm sure someone will be along shortly who can help....smile

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Support Our Partners
Slec
Revoc
Gliders Distribution
Wings & Wheels 2018
Motion RC
CML
Pepe Aircraft
electricwingman 2017
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Does your club have a safety officer?
Q: Does your club have a safety officer, or is the emphasis on individual members to each be their own safety officer?

Yes we have a SO
 No, it's down to everyone

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us