By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Robin Kearney

Here is a list of all the postings Robin Kearney has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Fantasy Formula 1
28/07/2019 22:01:06

What a race! I listened to it while driving back from Devon, but just had to watch it when I got in, to actually see what was going on, the radio commentary couldn’t keep up at times.

Washout from a predictions point of view for me, but considering the race the team did ok.

Thread: Balsa shopping list
30/06/2019 20:31:40

It was the subject of the 2013 mass build, a whole raft of info found in that section of the forum (link).

Just looked up what I used and it was:

• Motor - Turnigy SK-3542-1250kv
  • ESC - Hobbyking SS Series 60-70A ESC (accidentally bought the one without the BEC!)
  • SBEC - Turnigy 5A SBEC
  • Battery - 3s 3300 mAh 25~50C LiPo

Flys a treat, I love it.

Edited By Robin Kearney on 30/06/2019 20:33:16

Thread: Wings and Wheels 2019
29/06/2019 08:34:37

I'm popping along today, got a few models to put in the bring and buy sale, fingers crossed!

28/06/2019 20:44:29

Will do! It certainly fells like it's been in decline these last few years but it's my 'local' show so I always feel like popping along to support them. Got 3 models in the boot for the bring and buy sale, so fingers crossed!

28/06/2019 20:34:19

Too much time in front of a computer at work has kept me away at home, I knew my lead wouldn’t last long 🙁

I have to admit the bonus prediction for this round made me smile!

Am off to Wing’s and Wheels tomorrow so will try and remember to take a pair of headphones and listen in on Five Live.

As always thanks for the reminder John.

Edited By Robin Kearney on 28/06/2019 20:34:38

Thread: Anyone for a Tiffie?
19/05/2019 09:48:03

I was going to reply with an explanation but that link from Craig nicely covers it. In short its because the camera/phone hasn't really rotated it, they simply put a little bit of invisible data inside the photo saying 'rotate 90CW' (or whatever is appropriate). And the software that displays it then does it for you when you load the photo.

It seems that whatever software they are using to make the thumbnails etc for this site doesn't honour this extra data so it just blindly assumes the image is the correct orientation - result is upside down images sad

As you've seen, opening it on a computer/ipad in any photo editing software and rotating it twice then saving will actually rotate the image rather than using the Orientation field in the EXIF. They do this because its more widely compatible (as you have also seen) and they typically run on things that are far more powerful than a phone or a digital camera.

The EXIF rotation was added mostly because as images from camera/phones got bigger the the computational job of rotating them became harder for the device, whereas simply writing some text to say which way to rotate it and by how much is trivial.

11/04/2019 13:26:22

Chris I fear you might be mistaking judgment with blind luck - at least on my part

I've got my predictions in early, just incase I forget later on.

Good luck gents!

31/03/2019 20:06:17

I won't spoil it for those who've yet to watch it, but I have a question about predictions. What does "Nearly" mean? Both times the prediction was one out (for the quali). Do I get a point for that?

18/03/2019 11:15:01

KC, my dad had a similar issue, he subscribed to BT Premium mail for a while (which lets you keep you address for £7.50 a month) but later moved to a Gmail because having your email independent of your ISP is always good - one less reason not to move to a better package elsewhere.

Also, oh my. I wasn't expecting my team to do that well! Certainly better than I did with the 1/10 buggy yesterday

Am I right in thinking its free unlimited changes for anybody until the second GP?

Thread: Align Trex 250 micro heli spares
12/03/2019 07:50:07

I've got a few Trex 250 spares, I don't want anything for them, happy with collection from Ruislip, West London (possibly other bits if London too) or postage if you contribute to the cost.

Parts are in the photo below, part numbers (to save you squinting at the photo!) are:

• H25073TA - Landing Skid
  • H25039A - Canopy Mounting Bolt
  • H25041T - Main Blade Holder
  • HD203AT - 200 Main Blades

img_1651.jpg

11/03/2019 23:10:43

Ha, well spotted John. Pasting in here from the iPad was causing me issues wink

11/03/2019 20:08:23

Interesting change from F1 regarding point scoring: 1 point for the fastest lap

11/03/2019 14:50:46

Thats good with me, I just looked it up and its 6 normally and then 10 points per change, but 40 for elite, so a possible saving of 340 points! That does feel a bit unfair.

I'm happy to shout when I go beyond the 6 initial changes and have my 10 points deducted in the league spreadsheet if nothing else!

Also: No adverts for pro, bliss!

r

11/03/2019 14:19:03

Thats me, I paid up mostly to support the site, I didn't realise I received so many more changes than those who had not.

Can I somehow restrict my changes so we can ensure it is a level playing field?

r

13/02/2019 14:36:13

Hi,

I played a few years ago but missed the last couple, have joined up again. My team is called Roos Racers.

Thanks for organising it again John!

Thread: Mini Wot 4 or something else?
01/09/2017 15:30:37

Aha, the HK thing? Found it now! 😀

01/09/2017 13:20:57

Where can I find more info about the Mini Spirit? My Google fu is failing me!

Thread: Acro Wot mk2 artf electric advice plz
05/06/2016 01:09:58

Hi Tom,

I've converted my ARTF Balsa Acro Wot to electric, using a Hobby King G46 motor, 15x8 prop, 5s 4000mAh pack and a 70A speed controller. I bought a ESC without a ubec, so I also have a small nimh pack to power the radio.

I get 7 or so minutes with about 30% left in the packs. Performance wise, well it used to be powered by an OS 81 Alpha four stroke, and I'd say the electric setup has more power than that.

r

Thread: DOH!
15/05/2016 20:59:38

Whilst removing the connector from a new 6s pack which arrived without my preferred connector, I hastily grabbed the wire cutters and snipped through both wires at once. The resultant spark was quite something!

Thread: Any broadband wizards around?
03/09/2015 22:33:33

Steve, it does quite a bit, although I think all the big names are similar. The line speed tests typically only estimate the line speed from your router to the ADSL DSLAM in the exchange. From there out to the Internet it's down to the quality and quantity of the Internet bandwidth your ISP chooses to provide. Speedtest.net tests not just your ADSl line speed but also your ISP BandWidth. In cases, although people often don't realise it, the limiting factor can be their own WiFi - it's certainly the limiting factor to anything using WiFi in my house, the ADSl is far quicker than my WiFi .

A lot boils down to the amount the want to over subscrobe their links by, they don't size the links based on everybody using all of their BW at once, so it's a bit of a guessing game. Pick lower and it's cheaper but runs the risk of making customers unhappy, pick higher and it costs more and you have happy customers.

r

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Pepe Aircraft
Slec
Wings & Wheels 2019
Cambridge Gliding Club
Addlestone Models
CML
Gliders Distribution
electricwingman 2017
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Does your club have a safety officer?
Q: Does your club have a safety officer, or is the emphasis on individual members to each be their own safety officer?

Yes we have a SO
 No, it's down to everyone

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us