By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Engine Doctor

Here is a list of all the postings Engine Doctor has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Radio Queen ailerons
02/12/2019 17:23:18

Why ?

Thread: Valve work
02/12/2019 11:09:22

You could try squirting some Plus gas around the valve to get it moving .Cam followers are prone to getting stuck if the engine is poorly stored for a long time and will hold the valves open when the cam pushes them up and they stick. Agian a squirt of plus gas will usually free them with a little finger pressure . It would be wise though to strip off the head and remove valves to clean the stems and seats .Once the head is off remove valve collets in a big plastic bag . That way if you slip you will be able to find the collet.. To clean the valve stem and head I put it in an electric drill and use an old razor blade etc to remove any thick carbon then fine wet and dry paper to finish off . I use fine valve grinding paste thinned with either a drop of paraffin or thin oil to re-seat the valves. You can test the seat quickly by putting a few drops of thinners into the inlet and exhaust and check for leaks . As the valves or follower are are stuck I would also check the rest of the engine for any gumming or corrosion as this can Kill an otherwise good engine in seconds . A quick look in the cam box and in the back of the engine (take off the back-plate) and you will see if there is any corrosion to worry about . Its worth checking as the 80 is a powerful old lump and generally good runners ..

Edited By Engine Doctor on 02/12/2019 11:14:28

Thread: A new caption competition - winner declared!
02/12/2019 08:50:45

"You climb over and get it !" "NO you climb over"

Or

Someones fly tipped and old airframe over here !

Thread: Medway MFC indoor flying Sun 8th December . Gillingham Kent
01/12/2019 19:57:30

Medway MFC indoor flying this coming Sunday , December 8th 2019 at Medway Park Leisure Center Gillingham Kent ME7 1HF For more details go to ; http://www.doddington-kent.org.uk/MMFC/ This will be the third indoor session this autumn /winter Further sessions will be held on the second Sunday of each month through to march 2020 Sessions run from 10 am to 3 pm Costs £7.50 to fly for adults (children get a reduced rate). £1 spectators. BMFA membership/ insurance required to fly. Please bring BMFA cert. There will be a free bring and buy table , just put a donation in the Air Ambulance box if you sell anything, and a raffle . All profits go to our club charity the Air Ambulance Kent,Surrey and Sussex. please come along have a good fun day and help support a worthy charity . In the last year we have raised £1769 for the Air Ambulance so pleas come along and support a worthy cause .

Thread: The Gov't, CAA, BMFA & UAV legislation thread
30/11/2019 09:55:13

As per Ken Andersons thought Dept .Too many barrack room lawyers over analysing and confusing readers Lets have a simple how too from the likes of Andy Simmons and lock the thread

Thread: 'Starloc' adhesives.
27/11/2019 14:42:58

I used to use there stuff and liked the glues etc but many flyers I have spoken to tried ordering by post and never got any goods or refunds . Steer clear  for now and buy from other dealers .

You can buy decent Cyano in 50 gram bottles from Tool station About £4 a bottle . They only do a medium and thick though

Edited By Engine Doctor on 27/11/2019 14:45:51

Thread: TX stick/gimbal direction guide plate?
27/11/2019 09:05:29

. You can achieve the same function on other simpler computer sets by just set end point adjust to 0% or switching required channel/s to Off or Inhibit.

Thread: Hobby king delivery charges
22/11/2019 17:37:10

The rules around posting batteries are mad . If I go to the post office and try to post some batteries they refuse point blank no matter what type of battery . Then I order some batteries NiMh from a company in the UK and they are delivered by the royal mail with no problem ? is it one law for consumers and another for business ?

Thread: Metal Tanks
22/11/2019 17:13:17
Posted by D for Donald on 22/11/2019 11:31:37:

Thanks Engine Doc. Cant see the pics as I'm not allowed to log in the Medway club site.

What happens when you click on the link ? Its always worked in the past ?

You could try logging onto www.forum.medwaymfc.org.uk  if that works click on 

Ben Buckle designs in traditional models then onto BB Taylor Craft and scroll to bottom of page one .

regards

Edited By Engine Doctor on 22/11/2019 17:19:25

Thread: How do you attached to those solid inners on snakes?
22/11/2019 11:16:33

I haven't seen those solid snakes around for years . The inners are very handy for threading bits through wings or fuselages etc . Do you need that particular type ? Newer types with a hollow inner are easier to secure linkages and are easier to find . Golden rods do a lighter weight snake for lighter models in a red outer yellow inner combination .

PS just read the post with pics link showing a crimped end which is probably best way to secure .

SJ Do you use a dedicated crimping tool or will a wire/plug crimping tool work ?

Edited By Engine Doctor on 22/11/2019 11:21:23

Thread: Metal Tanks
22/11/2019 11:05:02

Hello D for D . As in other post  just make tanks with a butt joint , no tabs needed. Copper will usually occur with glow fuel that contains Nitro Methane , the high the content the quicker the errossion, If that's the correct term , of copper . It will dissolve the copper from bass tube leaving a brittle porous tube of blackened Zinc . Any fuel residue left in the tank will go a dark green colour . Never experienced it it with diesel fuel though .

Some pics of making tin tanks here . Hope its of some help . When you have finished soldering and testing the tank half fill it with some cellulose thinner to dissolve any flux/resin that can block fuel tubes . |Guess how I found out about that .

Edited By Engine Doctor on 22/11/2019 11:06:26

Thread: Best Heating Option For Your Hobby Shed
17/11/2019 15:35:57
Posted by leccyflyer on 16/11/2019 17:47:05:

I'm assuming that I have to arrange for the exhaust to exit the building and don;t really want to drill a 25mm hole through the stone work, but could take it out through the perspex glazed side frame of a door. I thought I'd replace one panel with timber with a neat hole and fill the gap with something fireproof/heat resistant. Any guidance on suitable materials from those who have installed these exhausts through shed walls and the like?

The exhaust pipe does get really hot so drilling a hole through the brick would be your best and safest option removing any worry of damage to door frame or possible fire . You can buy extra lengths of exhaust tubing quite cheaply.

A good sealant for any joins or filling in around pipe and brickwork would be car exhaust putty that sets hard when heated.

If I had the room I would run the exhaust through an old radiator that would act as a silencer and give extra heating that would otherwise go to waste .

Thread: Foam Model Repair
15/11/2019 11:03:10

A bit of bad luck there .Looking at the pic I would if possible, in addition to the foam replacement fit a carbon spar/tube into the wing , extending as far as possible into the wings and through the repair as you can without compromising the retract units . As the wing is cracked right on the fuselage joint it will have to support the flying loads so a spar might help stiffen a compromised wing.. Good luck and show us any repairs as I am sure plenty of us ill be interested how you get on .

E.D.

Thread: How to remove glue from ARTF before recovering....
13/11/2019 09:14:45

yes + 1 for Acetone .

Thread: Help! Twisted wing
12/11/2019 10:47:51

Hello Phil . just a thought but when you shrunk out the diagonal wrinkles did yo do both side of the wing ? the reason I ask is that I told a club member how to do this some time ago and they said it did'n't last long so I said come round to my place and we will sort it . I did the top of the wing while he held it then said keep the twist on and turn it over so that I can shrink the other side and he had a light bulb moment enlightened.

Thread: Wanted parts for Enya 90 and 60 FS engines
12/11/2019 10:38:59

Hi everyone . I 'm looking for some bits for the following engines I'm restoring and maybe someone out there can help . There must be loads of old Enyas lying around in draws or sheds so here goes .

Enya 90 FS I need a cyl head and Crankshaft but would buy a damaged or clapped engine if those parts are usable .

Enya 60 or 80 FS crankshaft (same shaft ) again would consider a damaged or clapped engine if crank is ok

Also still looking for a piston for a MDS 148 2st

Any help appreciated

Thread: Lest We Forget.
11/11/2019 13:05:15

Lets also not forget the heroes who made it through but were damaged and scared for life . My grandfather joined up asap after war was announced as did many others . Due to the numbers applying he was sent with a few mates to different offices to sign up and instead of joining a London regiment ended up in a regiment with a lot of Irish entrants.His regiment was moved around a lot during WW1 . Serving in some horrendous conditions in many theaters of war as a machine gunner. He was gassed twice. the first time just sent back behind the lines for a couple of days of relief and the second time sent home for a couple of weeks to recover Then still severely damaged was sent back to finish the War in France. Amazingly gassing was not classed as an injury ! He lost most of his mates Or "Pals " as they were known and made it to corporal He survived through to the end of the war . He wasn't lucky enough to be de-mobbed like many but was then sent straight to Ireland where the troubles were kicking off

When he was finally discharged he spent the rest of his life in constant pain due to damaged lungs from the mustard gas . He couldn't get any decent work due to his health and was given no help whatsoever by our governments of the time .arthur fearn for king & country (2).jpg

He was not alone as there must have been thousands with similar tales from then and all the following conflicts

While I support our armed forces and donate to help or present veterans who I am immensely proud of I feel that there is a heavy veil of hypocrisy hanging over the whole remembrance day thing that our government should be deeply ashamed of . They were promised a return to a land fit for heroes but were quickly forgotten

Edited By Engine Doctor on 11/11/2019 13:11:08

Thread: Best Heating Option For Your Hobby Shed
10/11/2019 13:40:19

I finally got around to fixing my heater up on a proper stand . I looked for some time for some bent angle sheet similar to the old type Dexion to make a stand but was put off by the cost. I finally found a metal shelving unit on ebay .Using the bits that are like a light weight dexion I made a stand for the heater and car battery and spot welded it permanently together plus another unit for my battery charger . Shelving unit cost £18 and was far cheaper than buying materials seperately. I did have to extend the ehasust pipe but at £6 for a meter length not an issue. Had it on for a few hours already and burnt about haslf a gallon of fuel. Running well and well pleased with unit.

Thread: The "drooling" stage?
09/11/2019 10:40:33

Enjoy the drooling stage , but not for too long. While in the drooling stage make sure that the throws on control surfaces are set as per recommendation both from instructions and other model flyers who have same or similar model . Far too often I have seen a model taken off with maximum control throws only to end seconds later in bits. Even decent flyers who have flown 3d or aerobatic types but not conversant with war-birds think max throws will be ok and end up with a broken plane .And most of the things you say like "wind speed and direction" or "Grass too long" are valid points .Far better to drool for while , get it right and enjoy the model Good luck .

Thread: Bad news from Germany
09/11/2019 10:25:15

A great shame The same thing happened to EZ ARTF models some years ago and they never came back . Like Multiplex they were a great flying model .

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Gliders Distribution
Cambridge Gliding Club
Slec
Wings & Wheels 2019
Pepe Aircraft
electricwingman 2017
CML
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Do you use a throttle kill switch?
Q: This refers to electric-powered models but do you use a throttle kill switch?

Yes
 No
 Sometimes
 Rarely

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us