By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Engine Doctor

Here is a list of all the postings Engine Doctor has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Cox 0,49 vs PAW 80
06/04/2020 12:36:21

The Black Widow is great little engine and with correct fuel will go like the clappers. The PAW 80 is also a great engine but totally different characteristics as already said . It really depends on whether you want out and out speed or pulling power/grunt. Cox for speed (and Noise) PAW for grunt ,

Good luck and have fun .

Thread: Coverings: not sure...
05/04/2020 10:40:08

You can buy a matt finish iron on laminating film in very thin gauges (microns)  I have some 32 micron but it's probably too thick for your model . Ask the control line combat flyers what they use.  10 micron stuff is available but getting difficult to find.

Edited By Engine Doctor on 05/04/2020 10:44:07

Thread: Is Wallpaper overlap adhesive similar to Balsaloc
04/04/2020 17:14:14
Posted by Andy Stephenson on 04/04/2020 16:39:28:

The glue I bought from the local pound shop for sticking down edges of wall paper turned out to be PVA which I ended up using to cover foam wings cores with lining paper.

I wouldn't use standard PVA as a heat sensitive adhesive as I don't think it's very effective. Instead I have used Deluxe Materials CoverGrip which is made for the job.

A.

yes +1 for Cover Grip

Thread: Kyosho T-33 Shooting star
04/04/2020 17:12:00

My T33 . sadly missed went vertical no problems with a 70mm fan on 4s . Small scoops fitted to cool the battery a bitimg_2051[1].jpg

04/04/2020 13:41:24

I lost my kyosho T33 last summer after many years of brilliant flying due to a servo failure !

I had one of the originals that was hopeless and it was quickly moved on . Fast forward a few years and lipos and brush less motors appear ! I found an unstartted kit at Old warden swap meet for £45 so the mods began. I threw away the original fan and motor and bought a 4s 70 5 blade fan off eBay. The battery compartment needed modifying before the fuselage halves were joined to take a 4s 3600 lipo. The compartment was then glassed and fuselage joined. The model ,from standard is transformed and will easily launch into vertical flight from an underarm launch. A brilliant model !

Given what I have learned about edf I would definitely fit a 10 blade fan and balance before installing to get a proper jet sound.

If I could find another untouched/ unstaffed kit I would buy it in flash ,price permitting.

Will put pic on later when on PC as tablet is useless and keeps changing words ! Predictive text that I can't turn off !!

You won't be dissapointed .

Enjoy.

Edited By Engine Doctor on 04/04/2020 13:43:57

Thread: Grass Cutting
04/04/2020 11:16:36
Posted by Rob on 04/04/2020 09:35:39:

The problem as I see it is whether or not you would be prepared to set out for the day to cut the grass or any other activities with the knowledge that if there was an accident/car crash etc of some sort that you may not have the option of receiving a response from the Emergency Service/NHS

I a Medic at a local small ambulance station, there is only about 10 of us to staff it 24/7 we also have to self isolate (I'm on week 2, having displayed symptoms after dealing with a confirmed case)there are others of at the minute aswell, the hospitals only have a fixed number of beds and have only started treating those who have a fighting chance of survival. My son works for the Fire Service and they are in the same boat. There is not an unending supply of staff or hospital beds. France and Spain have banned cycling for this purpose, so the choice is yours!

Good for you Rob yes

A big thank you for you ,your son and all the other emergency staff NHS, Police , Fire and Army who look after us in times of need and desperation.

Im a retired fireman( firefighter in modern parlance) and spent all my working life in the fire service on operational duties . Non emergency workers cannot begin to understand the dedication given by emergency workers to protect others from whatever threat comes along.

Those that criticise these emergency measures or have only to think about their daily activities , just think ; while your running out of or away from a dangerous situation these men and women are running in or towards it and putting themselves at risk.

Stop and think of the bigger picture of why am I being asked to stay in? Any incident while your out and about or cutting grass , will impact on the ability of the emergency services that are already stretched in some cases to the limit to respond. They have been cut mercilessly by cuts to funding by uncaring politicians of all parties for over a decade and now being asked to step up to the line and help us. In many cases those emergency workers have had virtually no pay rise in that decade !

If you must vent you feeling then get onto you MP and let them know your anger at our unpreparedness for a worldwide emergency and stop bickering about cutting grass and not being able to fly our toys .

By nagging your MP maybe just maybe they will not let this happen again as it surely will .

Edited By Engine Doctor on 04/04/2020 11:18:35

Thread: Making Steel Fittings. Question.
03/04/2020 20:48:11

Look out for a pair of Bilbo cutters. Like tin snips but more substantial . They will cut car body gauge and thicker with ease. For cutting tricky bits I clamp one of the grips in a vice and put a piece of tubing over the other . They are not cheap but are often seen at boot fairs etc.

Thread: Flat Car Battery from non-use of car
01/04/2020 11:27:59

Hi Romeo Whiskey . Most modern cars have sophisticated electronics that draw tiny current even when at rest. Provided your battery is in good condition it should be ok for at least three weeks and probably longer . If you can run a lead out to you car then a Ctek or similar charger/conditioner will maintain your battery for long periods of storage.Link.is for the Absaar model that is somewhat cheaper but a good little charger. I bought one of these a few years back and use it during the winter months when car is standing. If you do go for one of these make sure you buy one of sufficient capacity for you battery .

I did buy a solar powered battery trickle charger some years ago and was  not impressed but solar panels have improved so may be a better option no summer is on its way ?

Another thing to think of during long lay ups is the general condition of the car , brakes etc . They will benefit from a drive around the block once in a while enough to get them hot and dry out any moisture that can cause corrosion .

lets hope it all goes well.

Keep safe keep well and keep your distance smiley

E.D.

Edited By Engine Doctor on 01/04/2020 11:34:59

Thread: Sign of the times - funnies
31/03/2020 15:15:44

President Trump is talking to the nation telling them that they should be making more things at home in the USA.

he said " Why , this morning I looked at my television and it had "Built in antenna " on it , I don't even know where that is !

Thread: What Traders are still offering Mail Order? Services?
30/03/2020 10:40:55

All our local shops are doing online and mail order. Rapid RC .Model world UK and Weston UK. Contact details can be found with a quick Google

One of them told me they were also doing local delivery to the north Kent area while allowed to.

Keep well, keep safe and keep your distance!

Thread: Vibration absorbing engine mounting
30/03/2020 10:28:27

I know meanwhat you but you say certain revs so vibes are from something out of balance and rev critical. I have over the years had engines that are just rough running out of balance engines ,usually the cheaper brands. No amount of prop balancing would help. Change engine and hey presto , a quiet model ! Even some props in years gone by were so bad that balancing was impossible.

I think it really comes down to Individual model engine combinations / actions to get quiet drum free model.

Edited By Engine Doctor on 30/03/2020 10:31:36

30/03/2020 10:00:08

Don't bother with those mounts they will allow your engine to wobble all over the place. We used to use them years ago on backplate mounts on fun fly models like the Panic but they were made from a hard rubber so didn't wobble as much. If you take time to balance your prop properly , ex pun , it will greatly improve any  vibes/drumming . Saitos are pretty quiet and smooth running engine. I have used rubber Rawlplugs to hold Mount to the firewall but no noticeable difference. Dubro aluminium engine  mounts are very good with rubber isolation but expensive. A decent  covering like solar Tex if available or oratex if you can afford it will also help.

Edited By Engine Doctor on 30/03/2020 10:20:21

Thread: Can I or can I not fly?
24/03/2020 17:11:51

Why are even having this conversation? and why are some confused ?

Essential travel only for needed shopping or medical supplies . Limited exercise alone or with your household members.Only go to work if its an essential job. Simples

Very easy set of rules to understand really . Why even ask if its ok to go flying? The fool that does will be the first to moan about getting fined and causing our stre-e-e-etched emergency services even more grief

Thread: 2 vintage engines, what makes please?
22/03/2020 10:53:02

I had a mighty midget given to me when I was kid and reckon the second engine is a Mighty Midget. I distinctly remember it had Mighty Midget engraved on the transfer port . The crank pin was loose and Alan now owner of  Weston UK fixed the crank for me . Never got it o run and cant remember what happened to it . The 4 bolt ?

Edited By Engine Doctor on 22/03/2020 10:54:20

Thread: Covid 19
22/03/2020 10:33:13

Have you noticed how quiet the skies are. Haven't been this quiet since the 9/11 attack . I live on the flight path into London and the skies are eerily empty .

Thread: DA50
22/03/2020 10:26:43

As already said sounds like the diaphragm in the carb has gone brittle or has a small hole .Walbro or copy repair/overhaul sets are available on e-bay at a fraction of Walbro prices and are very good. The modern petrol with ethanol will eventually make the diaphragms go hard and brittle .

Thread: Has Your Club Made Any Decisions Regarding The Coronavirus?
20/03/2020 10:11:34
Posted by Gary Manuel on 20/03/2020 09:08:07:

I wiped the lock down on entering and leaving, then washed my hands. Wipes went in a bag that I took home and binned. Can't be too careful and yes, we all need to look after ourselves and

Well done Gary. The trouble is finding any sterilising wipes or sprays to use ! All cleaning sterilising items shelves at local stores are bare here in south east , not a piece of soap to be found! Lady on the checkout said to us "I wonder what people did for washing before this ,didn't they know about soap" smiley

19/03/2020 10:29:57

We have cancelled all indoor and outdoor organised meetings until further notice. The flying field is still open to members for normal flying as it's easy to distance from other clubmates. As already said when a full lockdown is brought in then the field will also be closed.

Just wondering how I'm going to cut the long grass when we can finally get back out ?indecision

Good luck to everyone and keep well.

E.D.

Thread: Motor stutters near full throttle
12/03/2020 11:04:27

I have had this problem on one of my planes. It sometimes wouldn't restart after closing the throttle but would just oscillate . Problem on that model was poor quality / connection on the bulit conectors on the motor leads. Another model with similar problem was a broken lead in motor.

Thread: David Boddington Tiger Cat
08/03/2020 12:23:34
Posted by Denis Watkins on 08/03/2020 11:46:39:

If you don't fancy an Old 20 Kevin

ASP do a great .21 that will fly 36" wing a treat

Just looked on Just engines and ASP 21's are now out of stock with little hope being re-stocked . You might be lucky and find one in stock somewhere.

Hopefully their new range of Taiwanese engines will grow as they only stocking a 15 and a 32 at the moment.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Cambridge Gliding Club
electricwingman 2017
Sussex Model Centre
Slec
CML
CADMA
Wings & Wheels 2019
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us