By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Engine Doctor

Here is a list of all the postings Engine Doctor has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Think I've been spammed!
01/10/2019 12:26:43

Well done Simon for persevering and well done to the bank . I hope the culprit gets done well and truly by the law.

Thread: Cleaning engines using ultrasound.
01/10/2019 12:16:07

Hi Dave . Ultra sound will remove dirt but wont restore the finish if its etched into the surface . A strip down and wash then a bead blast will restore to a near new finish . Polished parts will have to be re-polished . Followed by another thorough wash to remove any glass beads/debris before re-assembly .

Below is an early OS 120 I bought as a box of black oily castor coated bits .Its been bead blasted and now looks splendid Only parts to be replaced were the bearings , as you would expect ,cam cover and camshaft and followers .

I now regularly do rebuilds for club mates on old engines that are sound but look tatty . 

124_1831.jpg

124_1832.jpg

Edited By Engine Doctor on 01/10/2019 12:17:02

Edited By Engine Doctor on 01/10/2019 12:18:58

Thread: Club Night?
01/10/2019 09:48:21

We have tried having speakes or demos in the past but the low numbers attending have made us question whether it's worth while.

A neighbouring club invited us to a brilliant talk given by Tony Nijhuis some years ago and our party of five outnumbered their members! So it appears all clubs have the problem .

We still have our monthly meetings with any club business and then a social evening but numbers are low. We could possibly fill the seats if we had all the soaps showing after the club business smiley

Thread: Balsacraft Limbo Dancer IC
30/09/2019 09:34:44
​​​​​​Posted by SIMON CRAGG on 30/09/2019 02:14:41:

Having had a plethora of "Fun Fly " models over the years, I would fit an 1100 mah Life pack for the RX, and a more powerful lightweight engine (.36 size ideally). For more grunt fit a power pipe if required. A fine pitch wide blade prop is a good idea as well. These models need to be kept light, and every little helps.

yes + 1 .as Simon says keep it as light as you can . I used to use a 5cell AAA pack and never had any problems but check battery before each flight. A LiFe would be ideal. Fit a heavy engine and they become sluggish at lower speeds . I have had a few fun fly models and generally used a 32 /36 engine with a Weston throttle pipe. They often turn up at the club with a 46 or even an occasional 53 fast vertical or straight line flying but lose the low speed agility.

Edited By Engine Doctor on 30/09/2019 09:36:57

Thread: Toni Clarke fuel tank - how do they go together ?
29/09/2019 10:58:52

The fuel supply to carb goes on the cap . the other two nipples are a filler/drain and a breather and can be fitted in any suitable side of the tank. . No sealer should be required if parts are seated correctly ,just snug them up with correct spanner. Tip when you run the breather tube out of the model insert a piece of tube that is crimped with a pin in it . remove the pin and this will allow tank to breath but reduce any spills

Thread: Buying cheap new or (slightly) cheaper s/h?
28/09/2019 10:13:02

yes + 1 for the DX7 . I'm not generally a Spectrum fan but do have a DX 7 for the Ready to fly small models available. The DX7 will work on DSM2 and DSMX and as already said will "model Match" . Model match is one thing I wish my FF9 had . Its also made by JR and feels a sturdy Tx. . Be careful of fake Spectrum rx on the market .

28/09/2019 10:13:00

yes + 1 for the DX7 . I'm not generally a Spectrum fan but do have a DX 7 for the Ready to fly small models available. The DX7 will work on DSM2 and DSMX and as already said will "model Match" . Model match is one thing I wish my FF9 had . Its also made by JR and feels a sturdy Tx. . Be careful of fake Spectrum rx on the market .

Thread: Crashed my Spitfire now i will repair it
27/09/2019 10:24:56

Good to see new parts fitted that makes a strong and light repair. Some repairs I've seen over the years can only be described as a flying epoxy brick .

Good work.

Thread: A newbie trying to save some money
27/09/2019 10:20:39
Posted by Chris Walby on 27/09/2019 09:19:17:

.... do people have a thing against mode 3 and 4? Can and does anyone fly these modes?

They do but are probably wired up wrong smiley,.........,joking. I did know a chap who flew a very odd mix and had elevator forward for up ? And throttle up to closed ? He crashed regularly . Keep it simple and do as your instructor does

Thread: Buying cheap new or (slightly) cheaper s/h?
27/09/2019 10:05:01

If you are considering second hand then you can afford a Futaba or JR tx . A FF9 is a great tx and can be picked up for well under £100 as can the JR TXs . If you go for a 35 met set you can convert to 2.4 using FrSky module and Rxs.

Simple plug in conversion and very reliable, plus you can expand the model memory by pouting in a CamPac. Look for the later FF9 super easily identified by a red an blue led when switched on . The earlier model had a red and green led and is still a good TX . The "Super" has a few more features.

Thread: Have You Ever Noticed...
26/09/2019 17:34:43
Posted by David Davis on 24/09/2019 12:20:02:
Posted by Engine Doctor on 24/09/2019 11:31:04:

Its the main reaspon I dislike ARTF models. all clones of one another ! making your own colour scheme makes a model special . I was given a Cougar 2000 a year or so back . It had some damage so I stripped and recovered it giving it a totally different scheme. Its still just a Cougar but stands out head and shoulders above other cougars at the club

capture cougar1.jpgcapture cougar 2.jpg

Its now called "A Cougar Brexit Special" Fly the flag smiley

Edited By Engine Doctor on 24/09/2019 11:36:11

PS. Nice Cougar Engine Doctor! How did you manage it? Solartrim ?

Hello dave . yes its solar trim put on wet and Squeegeed .

Thread: The Repair Shop
25/09/2019 08:23:47

Providing they don't get a Mike Brewer type to present itangry It will survive

Thread: 2019: Britain's new air disaster
24/09/2019 12:17:45

I wish the media would stop "Droning " on about it at the slightest excuse !

Thread: Collapse of Thomas Cook
24/09/2019 12:03:35

School children on strike over climate change !!!! How hypocritical is that ? Virtually all of them have to have a lift to school in the family Chelsea tractor and as already said , wouldn't they complain if they didn't have their holidays abroard . Little darlings don't you love them? The fault lies with the parents spoiling them . Am I being too hard ? may be a little but the University of life does that

Children have been duped/ used as a tool by climate change activists .

Let children walk or cycle to school as we did and that would be a start . Parents will argue its a different world now with more cars etc etc . Yes there are more cars because they are taking taking children to school ! Aren't the roads quiet during school holidays ?

Population explosion is the real threat . Food fight will be next , not the bun throwing type but real fights as food supplies become stretched .

Thread: Have You Ever Noticed...
24/09/2019 11:31:04

Its the main reaspon I dislike ARTF models. all clones of one another ! making your own colour scheme makes a model special . I was given a Cougar 2000 a year or so back . It had some damage so I stripped and recovered it giving it a totally different scheme. Its still just a Cougar but stands out  head and shoulders above other cougars at the club 

capture cougar1.jpgcapture cougar 2.jpg

Its now called "A Cougar Brexit Special" Fly the flag smiley

Edited By Engine Doctor on 24/09/2019 11:36:11

Thread: ASP FS70 FRONT BEARING
24/09/2019 09:53:15
Posted by CARPERFECT on 23/09/2019 20:44:06:

Looking to replace the front bearing on my fs 70. is the bearing a sealed bearing ?

While your at it replace the rear bearing as well. Even tiny amounts of wear will change the valve timing enough to cause a drop in power. Rear bearing wear can be detected by holding prop atop and bottom an rocking back to front it,any play will be felt. Is it  a sealed or sheilded bearing ? Sheilded have a metal cover to prevent dirt from entering bearing while sealed have a rubber coated plate that is a actual seal on the rotating center of the bearing. Only the outer shield or seal is needed . Wash out grease and lubricate with appropriate oil before fitting.

Just replace like for like.

+1 for Simply Bearings.

Edited By Engine Doctor on 24/09/2019 09:56:59

Thread: MDS N/V
21/09/2019 09:50:33

Look up a local bearing factor as they also supply "o" rings and take the old ring to them for measuring . Failing that it's just luck trying the classifieds etc. I have been looking for a piston for the MDS 148 for months now but no luck but things like "O" rings and bearings are generic parts so you should be in luck.

Thread: Laser Engines - Technical questions
19/09/2019 10:46:43
Posted by Jon - Laser Engines on 18/09/2019 21:55:10:

Nice one Chris.

Now you can see that fish you will always hear it

And no, i dont expect else anyone to understand that

Obviously from the Eric Cantona school of thought smiley.

Thread: Are all chargers unreliable?
19/09/2019 10:35:05

I just use Imax B6 off of E-Bay . Charge virtually any type of battery we use and lipos up to 6s .Cost around £13 each and last for years . Just had to replace one though after letting the smoke out after shorting it while being distracted !!!angry . Trouble with the multi channel chargers , if one channel blows then the whole lot is rubbish . The newer versions of the B6 have been improved to 80W from 50W

Thread: Irvine 61 new bearings
18/09/2019 09:57:23

If you try the tap method ( not recommended ) make sure you screw the nut on the crankshaft to protect the thread.

Heat will release it but can often anneal the alloy if your not careful and get it too hot . The prop driver is then soft and can spread when used losing grip and come loose.

A puller is the only way to safely remove a tapered collet type prop driver. They can be very stubborn but quickly surrender to a puller. Pullers can be found on eBay for around £5 and don't take too long to arrive.

Bearings are available from many sources an Simply Bearing are IMO the best and quickest suppliers. Visit their website and it will show you how to measure the bearings . You will need a Vernier gauge . Model fixings may have the engine on their list so measuring the bearing will not be necessary .

Making gaskets is easy and my preferred material is thick brown envelope paper.

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Sussex Model Centre
CML
electricwingman 2017
Slec
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!