By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Engine Doctor

Here is a list of all the postings Engine Doctor has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Fuel tank position too high
02/02/2010 15:49:48
Helolo Vecchio . Your conversion is coming along fine . I used 2mm ali plate to mount  the carb on my engine as vibration could take its toll , but I extended it further so angle was decreased . 
Regards

E.D
Thread: Model Engineer Exhibition
29/01/2010 11:20:27
Rent and profit for the organiser probably .
Thread: Engine to Silencer gasket??
29/01/2010 11:07:53
Use the epoxy method . Gaskets on glow engine exhausts are a waste of time as they keep on compressing and allow silencer to loosen ,leak oil or fall off. Apply a small /thin bead of epoxy around the engine exhaust and screw on the silencer . Make sure the screws have oil on them before you fit them . This stops the epoxy from locking the thread . It will form a perfect seal as it is gap filling ( no need to lap the joint) It will also stop the silencer from vibrating loose or falling off in flight and can easily be removed by unscrewing screws and give the silencer a sharp tap . It also conducts heat away from the engine into the silencer better than a gasket .  I use the stronger epoxy like 24 hr Araldite as its thicker and will not run into the cylinder and fills any gaps better. Have been using it for years now with no problems . Hope it helps
Thread: Convert to petrol?
29/01/2010 10:55:23
Hi Gerry . If you want a twin ignition system then Weston UK sell the Runtronic system  It  can be used for single or twin cylinder operation. I am using one on a CRRP 45 and its excellent . As said  in previous post, the spark will take the route of least resistance and will probably only fire at one plug and that will be the one not compressed .
E.D.
Thread: Fuel tank position too high
19/01/2010 13:06:38
Hi Vecchio. It may cause problems if you leave the model standing for some time but I have used similar set ups and have not had any serious problems with flooding .You could fit a fuel regulator that will solve the problem . I believe Weston UK supply them .
 I did have a prototype Corsair some years ago that had the tank much higher than the main jet and this really caused problems . I solved this by using an carb extention that I believe was in an article or letter in the RCM&E . It involves a plate made to mount on the back plate screws of the engine  . The carb is mounted on this at the correct hieght and a alloy extention made to fit between the carb and the manifold . It worked extremely well but you really need the use of a lathe to make the extention tube . I used tufnol to make the extention tube . Best to try it first and see if any mods need to be made .
Good luck.
E.D.
Thread: Why don't we use metal propellers?
19/01/2010 11:55:15
I can imagine if metal props were allowed  that it would only be a matter of time befor a seriously bent and stressed prop was staightened by a modelller trying to save a few bob . The insipient flaws/crysalised metal created during the bending would then allow the metal to fracure at high RPM with possible fatal consequenses. At least with glass reinforced props they just break and thats that, no chance of a tight wad trying a repair. The forces applied to a prop spinning at high RPM must be enormous and how we dont have many more accidents ammazes me . So lets keep away from the arc of spinning props and keep any old alloy props for display only please .
Thread: New Bee
12/01/2010 16:36:07
The Mamselle  is a really great flyer . I built mine from a plan supplied by a club mate. Powered it with a original Mills P75 . and fitted radio on elevator and rudder . Still flyi's during the summer and about seven years old now and on its second mills as first threw a rod . I fancied the larger version but never got around to it .
Thread: The Mode Survey - what do you fly?
12/01/2010 16:23:52
!.Mode 2
2.North Kent
3,Kent
4.once or twice with instructor then got on with it
Thread: Convert to petrol?
08/01/2010 14:56:06
Hi  Phil . The petrol engine will undoubtedly be better on fuel than a comparable glow engine but not as powerful. Generally the petrol engines  are lower reving and produce most of their power between 8000 and 10,000 rpm. They will generally turn a much higher pitch prop than a glow engine as they produce more torque. If you want out and out power then go the glow route but if you want reliability and economy then petrol is the way to go.I fly a few petrol engines now on my bigger models but still use glow on the smaller ones . I have looked at the RCGF and thought it was a bit on the heavy side. I haven't actually run one as yet but have used the CRRP 26cc engine and thats great for little money. Why not ask on some other forums about this engine ? It is probably worth the time to chat before you commit to buy .
Thread: crrc pro50i
28/11/2009 22:52:41
Hello Gary . I have the 45cc and its a very powerful engine Pulls an 86inch Eurobat vertical as long as you let it. Break in for that was 20 x 8 wooden  and I'm still using it so a 20 x 10 should be fine for breakin and general use. Run the engine in on the plane ,as the movement of the airframe absorbs some of the energy . I run about a tank full at just under ful throttle with a 30 : 1 mix  bringing the engine up to full temperature then stopping it and alow to cool down . Do this a few times with the first tank then fly it . I tend to break in the engines without the cowling so as to keep a good flow of air over the cylinder. I also found that If I used fully sythetic oil the exhaust was messy and performance was down. I started using Comma two stroke oil available from motor factors anthe exhaust is virtually dry. I have run mine for about three hours now and its runnin fine on a 40 : 1 mix . My son is flying a DL 50 cc he uses a 22 x 10 wooden on that  . It develops serios thrust and again runs it on a 40 : 1 mix of Comma oil

hope it helps
Thread: Medway Model Flying Club
21/11/2009 18:26:49
Medway Model flying club  fly at just north of Sittingbourne in North Kent . We are a BMFA affiliated club and have  vacancies for fixed wing flyers . If you are interested in joining then have a look at our club website at 

Our flying field is just under 10 acres and we have a large overfly area .
E.D. ( Phil)

Edited By Timbo - Administrator on 06/02/2010 11:42:46

Thread: Zenoah 26cc Petrol Engine Battery
21/11/2009 18:13:46
Hello Andrew . Check the the instructions before fitting any higher voltage pack . As the last post said it depends on the voltage range of the module  All my engies require 4.8V  to 6.0 V and warn not go any higher  I  use Rx packs of 4.8V 2000  plus mAh and run all day without any trouble . Dont forget that a freshly charged 5cell pack can exceed 6.0V and could damage the ignition module .
Thread: taipan
17/11/2009 19:05:14
Hello Gary. It might be worth getting a value on it . You may just get that big four stroke  . I used to vist boot fairs and never ever found any  aircraft bits !

E.D.
Thread: OS versus Saito
08/11/2009 12:38:30
Posted by Aslan on 25/10/2009 09:26:27:
Tim,if you have not heard of YS,stay away from them. Great engines,but they need a lot of TLC,30% nitro(expensive)along with other tuning needs. The pump sounds great,but can have diaphragm problems,plus you don't need a pumped engine. You do need to know what you're doing with them. They are at the top end of the market.I'm a Saito man myself,but Martins Laser 150 sounds like a good option and well worth a look at. Failing that,Saito 125 without a shadow of a doubt. They can be a bit stubborn,and need a bit of tuning, plus a while to run in,but while all this is going on they run,lumpy though they may be. They are great if you enjoy fiddling with engines. If you want to just start and go,the OS would be the one,smooth from day one.They certainly are not as torquey as the Saitos,but would also suit your needs with not much fiddling to do. So after all this.......get the Saito Lad, and stop messin'

Thread: taipan
08/11/2009 12:15:01
Hello Gary. If your taipan is a rear exhaust model comlete with a silencer /expansion chamber then you have a rareish collectable engine . I had one a few years ago but I didn't have an exhaust . apparently they broke easily in a crash and are now rarer than hens teeth. prices for engines have fallen slightly over the last few years but if its in good cond then get some advice before using or selling it .

E.D
Thread: Medway MFC Annual Table Top sale/Swapmeet
05/11/2009 17:44:26
The Swapmeet planned for Remembrance Sunday has had tobe cancelled due to lack of support. We will be organising a swapmeet  next spring.

Regards

E.D.
05/10/2009 13:05:33

Medway MFC 2009 table top Sale /Swapmeet
Sunday 8th Novemberat Iwade Village Hall
Just off the A249 north of Sittingbourne North kent
Entrance £1-50 Tables £7-50 in advance or £8-50 on the day
Starts at 10am . Table /Stall hoders 8.30 am
Refreshments available
come along and pick up a bargain
or sell some of that unwanted gear .
For details or to book a stall
call Colin on 01634-317187
or    Phil on 01795-476535

ALL of the proceeds go to our club charity
The kent Air Ambulance

Edited By Engine Doctor on 05/10/2009 14:03:22

Thread: OS 70 FS Exhaust Port
11/09/2009 20:47:29
Any one wanting taps and dies for odd sizes try Tracy tools in Dartmouth. keep all odd sizes in cheap carbon steel and the prices of the quality HSS are not bad either.

E.D.
Thread: Can anyone recommend
03/09/2009 08:49:28
Hello Robert . Have you thought about a band saw ? I bought a small band saw a few years ago and wouldn't be without one now . Ideal for cutting strip from sheet etc and cutting awkward shaped formers etc . They cut much faster and accurately than a scroll saw , although the scroll saw is great for internal holes . ie removing the inside of formers .

E.D.
Thread: Reliable On-Board Glow for Twins
01/09/2009 09:20:49
Hello Adrian. I have used SM Services glowswitch with a 160 twin  with ghreat success . Very easy to set up and very reliable. It works purely on the throttle position (adjustable) .

E.D.
Support Our Partners
electricwingman 2017
CML
Sussex Model Centre
Slec
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!