By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Engine Doctor

Here is a list of all the postings Engine Doctor has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Best Heating Option For Your Hobby Shed
17/11/2019 15:35:57
Posted by leccyflyer on 16/11/2019 17:47:05:

I'm assuming that I have to arrange for the exhaust to exit the building and don;t really want to drill a 25mm hole through the stone work, but could take it out through the perspex glazed side frame of a door. I thought I'd replace one panel with timber with a neat hole and fill the gap with something fireproof/heat resistant. Any guidance on suitable materials from those who have installed these exhausts through shed walls and the like?

The exhaust pipe does get really hot so drilling a hole through the brick would be your best and safest option removing any worry of damage to door frame or possible fire . You can buy extra lengths of exhaust tubing quite cheaply.

A good sealant for any joins or filling in around pipe and brickwork would be car exhaust putty that sets hard when heated.

If I had the room I would run the exhaust through an old radiator that would act as a silencer and give extra heating that would otherwise go to waste .

Thread: Foam Model Repair
15/11/2019 11:03:10

A bit of bad luck there .Looking at the pic I would if possible, in addition to the foam replacement fit a carbon spar/tube into the wing , extending as far as possible into the wings and through the repair as you can without compromising the retract units . As the wing is cracked right on the fuselage joint it will have to support the flying loads so a spar might help stiffen a compromised wing.. Good luck and show us any repairs as I am sure plenty of us ill be interested how you get on .

E.D.

Thread: How to remove glue from ARTF before recovering....
13/11/2019 09:14:45

yes + 1 for Acetone .

Thread: Help! Twisted wing
12/11/2019 10:47:51

Hello Phil . just a thought but when you shrunk out the diagonal wrinkles did yo do both side of the wing ? the reason I ask is that I told a club member how to do this some time ago and they said it did'n't last long so I said come round to my place and we will sort it . I did the top of the wing while he held it then said keep the twist on and turn it over so that I can shrink the other side and he had a light bulb moment enlightened.

Thread: Wanted parts for Enya 90 and 60 FS engines
12/11/2019 10:38:59

Hi everyone . I 'm looking for some bits for the following engines I'm restoring and maybe someone out there can help . There must be loads of old Enyas lying around in draws or sheds so here goes .

Enya 90 FS I need a cyl head and Crankshaft but would buy a damaged or clapped engine if those parts are usable .

Enya 60 or 80 FS crankshaft (same shaft ) again would consider a damaged or clapped engine if crank is ok

Also still looking for a piston for a MDS 148 2st

Any help appreciated

Thread: Lest We Forget.
11/11/2019 13:05:15

Lets also not forget the heroes who made it through but were damaged and scared for life . My grandfather joined up asap after war was announced as did many others . Due to the numbers applying he was sent with a few mates to different offices to sign up and instead of joining a London regiment ended up in a regiment with a lot of Irish entrants.His regiment was moved around a lot during WW1 . Serving in some horrendous conditions in many theaters of war as a machine gunner. He was gassed twice. the first time just sent back behind the lines for a couple of days of relief and the second time sent home for a couple of weeks to recover Then still severely damaged was sent back to finish the War in France. Amazingly gassing was not classed as an injury ! He lost most of his mates Or "Pals " as they were known and made it to corporal He survived through to the end of the war . He wasn't lucky enough to be de-mobbed like many but was then sent straight to Ireland where the troubles were kicking off

When he was finally discharged he spent the rest of his life in constant pain due to damaged lungs from the mustard gas . He couldn't get any decent work due to his health and was given no help whatsoever by our governments of the time .arthur fearn for king & country (2).jpg

He was not alone as there must have been thousands with similar tales from then and all the following conflicts

While I support our armed forces and donate to help or present veterans who I am immensely proud of I feel that there is a heavy veil of hypocrisy hanging over the whole remembrance day thing that our government should be deeply ashamed of . They were promised a return to a land fit for heroes but were quickly forgotten

Edited By Engine Doctor on 11/11/2019 13:11:08

Thread: Best Heating Option For Your Hobby Shed
10/11/2019 13:40:19

I finally got around to fixing my heater up on a proper stand . I looked for some time for some bent angle sheet similar to the old type Dexion to make a stand but was put off by the cost. I finally found a metal shelving unit on ebay .Using the bits that are like a light weight dexion I made a stand for the heater and car battery and spot welded it permanently together plus another unit for my battery charger . Shelving unit cost £18 and was far cheaper than buying materials seperately. I did have to extend the ehasust pipe but at £6 for a meter length not an issue. Had it on for a few hours already and burnt about haslf a gallon of fuel. Running well and well pleased with unit.

Thread: The "drooling" stage?
09/11/2019 10:40:33

Enjoy the drooling stage , but not for too long. While in the drooling stage make sure that the throws on control surfaces are set as per recommendation both from instructions and other model flyers who have same or similar model . Far too often I have seen a model taken off with maximum control throws only to end seconds later in bits. Even decent flyers who have flown 3d or aerobatic types but not conversant with war-birds think max throws will be ok and end up with a broken plane .And most of the things you say like "wind speed and direction" or "Grass too long" are valid points .Far better to drool for while , get it right and enjoy the model Good luck .

Thread: Bad news from Germany
09/11/2019 10:25:15

A great shame The same thing happened to EZ ARTF models some years ago and they never came back . Like Multiplex they were a great flying model .

Thread: Fuel Agitation
06/11/2019 19:14:51
Posted by Martin Harris on 06/11/2019 18:38:10:

i've never tried it but I've seen recommendations to add a couple of drops of a product called "Armor All" (sorry about the spelling!) to a tankfull of fuel to eliminate vibration induced frothing.

Perhaps someone who's tried it might comment?

Yes its a car interior dessing contains silicon . A squit of silcon based furniture polish does the same. It helps treat the result of vibration but its far better to treat the cause of the vibration. A fuel tank should be a good fit to stop it moving but some foam insulation is ideal . A smaller tank and some foam would help after you have balanced the prop and spinner.

Thread: Which servos for a Boomerang & a Nova 40
06/11/2019 10:56:44

Any decent standard servo from a reputable supplier will be fine for a trainer. Be careful to avoid of any cheap rip off servos on the internet . Loads of Futaba copies that are DANGEROUS to use . even Tower-Pro are being copied and these copies are NOT fit for purpose. The price is the give away if the price is looks too good to be true it generally is . Ask around at your club ,. Most club members have a box of used servos and will probabl;y let you have a set a a good price .

Edited By Engine Doctor on 06/11/2019 11:02:45

Thread: Where are the 50cc engines?
04/11/2019 20:22:56

Moki appear to still make a 50cc FS. Stuart McKay distribute them although they are expensive bits of kit . I have one . Excellent bit of engineering but a bit on the heavy side .Power is well down on an equivalent 2s though.

Thread: Soldering iron or flame torch
04/11/2019 10:56:58

As per Cuban 8 post For soft soldering piano wire cabanes , U/C etc a good old fashioned copper iron is your best bet and possibly the cheapest . Old irons can be found in junk shops ,swap-meets and boot fairs for coppers EX pun  . Or a high wattage electric iron will do the same job and you wont have to keep re-heating it. Use a good strong flux like bakers fluid and clean the wires with glass paper NOT emery,wet and dry or alumin oxide as they can leave a residue that will prevent solder flow . Practice makes perfect .

Just found out that P make P after trying Tig welding thin stainless after a long (many years) lay off angry

Edited By Engine Doctor on 04/11/2019 10:58:49

Thread: The Gov't, CAA, BMFA & UAV legislation thread
01/11/2019 11:12:25

If your flying legally at your site why would the police want to "visit" you ? Yes they might be interested enough to have a look but if your behaving and flying within the regs they won't 'thave to to question or have to inspect anything We invite our local police dog handlers to use our field/site for training/exercising their dogs and don't expect to be interrogated every time they see us.

Again its typical of many forums " what if" or " think the worst scenario " hype. Come on guys get real ,you would want the police to question anyone who is flying dangerously or bringing us into disrepute , wouldn't you ?

Ps. Section 2 pear (b) covers it on Steve J previous post.

Edited By Engine Doctor on 01/11/2019 11:15:36

Thread: FrSky Futaba Tx Module
26/10/2019 11:40:33

No it wasn't me , Roboit Birds were already out of stock Have spoken with Rapid RC and Justin cant get hold of them and T9 list them on "Back Order " The FrSky site lists them as "Discontinued"  so it will have to be old stock somewhere  . It appears that most dealers who used to stock them just haven't updated their websites . Still looking so if anyone wants to sell their module or any shops find one then please contact me .

ED

Edited By Engine Doctor on 26/10/2019 11:43:08

23/10/2019 17:43:29

Thanks for the offer but he has just bought a mint condition FF9 super and wants the module for that . He currently still fly's on 35 meg but wants to move to 2.4 . he said he will continue on the 35 meg (fishing rod smiley) until one turns up .

Thanks again for looking

23/10/2019 09:57:34

Bit of a long shot but does anyone have for sale or know of anyone who has a FrSky /Futaba Tx 2.4 module for sale ? A club mate is looking for one for his FF9 .

Not worried about telemetry model

Have tried HK, Bangood and Amazon (Amazon have them but asking over £70 for one, no thanks ) and have tried on the internet to no avail

Any help appreciated. Via a PM or location of dealer who has one in stock.

Thanks

Thread: How far do you travel to fly at your club?
20/10/2019 11:08:41

We have some m.embers who drive from London and can take over an hour . If you club has basic facilities like portaloo etc then it's not too bad

Thread: What are your three favourite war movies?
20/10/2019 10:56:37

" A bridge too far" and "We were soldiers" area a good watch .

We had a club member back in the 1980's ,sorry but I can't recall his name , sadly passed away now who was a sergeant in operation "Market garden" . When I knew him his sight had deteriorated so he couldn't fly his models anymore but gave talks about his experiences during the conflict. Back in the 1980's he had a group of model flyers who would tow Horsa gliders up at shows and he would give a commentary on the action giving a little insight as to what it was like . This was to commemorate the soldiers and his friends who many sadly died . The film" A bridge too far" glossed over the real cost of lives but still is a good watch .

" A band of brothers" is another great movie ,a pity we never had an English equivalent.

I remember an interview ,possibly on " Parkinson" when David Putnam a producer of The Memphis Belle said that he wanted to make a movie about a Lancaster bomber and it's crew . He described how nobody in the UK was interested so it went to America and became Memphis Belle !.

Edited By Engine Doctor on 20/10/2019 11:06:07

Thread: Spektrum DX7
18/10/2019 10:57:21
Posted by Trevor Crook on 17/10/2019 22:40:29:

C8, I believe the reason the DX7 charge connector is reverse polarity relative to common convention is that in those days, Spektrum used effectively a JR Tx case, and the two brands shared a lot of technology. For that tranny, Spektrum retained the JR convention. Don't know what JR were thinking though.....

C8 You are correct, infact the labels on my DX7 says Made by JR so would explain it. Easily overcome

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Sussex Model Centre
CADMA
Slec
CML
electricwingman 2017
Wings & Wheels 2019
Cambridge Gliding Club
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us