By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Engine Doctor

Here is a list of all the postings Engine Doctor has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Orchestra on your patch
19/12/2019 12:01:52

B.O.B is stirring  music. I went to Leeds castle a few years ago to the Music in the park . During the afternoon we had War movie themes accompanied by a Spitfire and a Hurricane flying overhead . Later  as Dusk was falling the orchestra played the Battle of Britain music and the spitfire flew overhead . A spectacular display as the sun set over Leeds Castle . Lump in the throat stuff ! The link is of the old warden display but you get the idea . The pilot who was in radio contact with the show flew until the sun Had set and then announced he had to get back to Headcorn  air field a bit quick !! I cant find a recording of the actual event but This Leeds Castle video gives some idea with a  brief shot of a spitfire in the middle of the clip .

AC /DC Highway to Hell or Top Gun for jets .

Edited By Engine Doctor on 19/12/2019 12:26:05

Thread: Enya 120-4c Exhaust Replacement
17/12/2019 18:49:58

I use a 60 FS Enya in a x 2 Ladybird , Beautiful engine sounds great and no silencer as its an old one and never misses a beat.

Thread: Scammer/Trojan
17/12/2019 18:46:19

If in doubt ignore and delete the message .If they are genuine then they will be back in touch

Thread: Enya 120-4c Exhaust Replacement
17/12/2019 15:31:09

Hello Gary . Your best Bet is Steve web Models . I believe they were selling an exhaust on e-bay a couple of weeks ago

Thread: Fan /Model match ?
17/12/2019 11:44:31

Hello Dave . The price is £26 -20. Not sure if there is any postage .The last one I bought was on ebay , came from china and took a bit of balancing as it run horribly out of the box .As already said once balanced it runs really well.wink I think they are the rejects from the units fitted into RTF models .

My Habu Mk1 is made from EPP and the motor is quite noisy at full throttle but throttle back a little and its a lot quieter.. That is fitted with a 6 blade 70mm fan running on 6s and gives plenty of power for easy launching and reasonably fast flight. Flights only last about 4 to 5 min though as fan is greedy for power. I would say that the power from this 6 Blade unit is just as good as the !2 blade unit I have in my Viper but the 12 blade gives a smoother quieter exhaust note and no vibes through the air-frame 

Thin ply or balsa should be fine for an eflux tube . As Christmas is coming look out for Christmas Cracker boxes with acetate lids . Its light-ish and fine for an eflux tube and far cheaper than thin ply . A 10% reduction from inlet area to outlet area should work fine . Any EDF officianardos out there will advise if I'm wrong . It might be worth posting here on the EDF forum . .

E.D.

Edited By Engine Doctor on 17/12/2019 11:55:22

Thread: Andy Symons PR on Countryfile
16/12/2019 11:05:30
Posted by john stones 1 on 16/12/2019 10:50:24:

Giz a link someone. wink

You can fin it on catch-up or BBC i Player

16/12/2019 10:59:44

Hello Dave you will find that your unit will give excellent thrust but as said will probably be noisy . If it has a out-runner motor it might be a bit quieter .Balancing will help but the higher the blade count they are usually quieter . Have a look here at this 12 blade unit from Bangood . There are quite a few fan units available if you scroll down below the add . I fitted a similar one into a HK venom that was given to me without a fan unit . It was a bit noisy but after a bit of balancing gives a good jet sound and flys the venom well . Not sure if it will be powerful enough for you 56 in span model though . Its always a balance between going for a 4s set up to save weight or the 6s set up for the added power ? with the correct motor a good balance between weight and power is achievable without spending mega bucks .

E.D.

Edited By Engine Doctor on 16/12/2019 11:00:30

Thread: Andy Symons PR on Countryfile
15/12/2019 19:06:30

Well done Andy with the PR you gave model flying on BBC Countryfile this evening . yes

15/12/2019 11:17:15

Hi a 56 inch model will probably need an 80 or possibly a 90 mm fan , Do you know what the recommended battery is for the fan i e 4s or 6s and capacity then you will have a starting point to work out the balance/CoG and weight etc . It will also pay dividends to balance the fan, see you-tube , as a smooth running fan not only sounds much better but produces more thrust due less power being absorbed by the vibrations of an out of balance fan .

Try running the fan up before stripping etc as it might be a dynamically balanced unit.

Hopefully there will be more knowledgeable EDF build designers along to help. I can only offer what I have gleaned from messing about with fan models .

Good luck and let us know how you get on .

E.D.

Thread: Judder on all servos with DFT module
15/12/2019 10:48:39

Re the jerky or stepping servo action with FrSky radio . Friend in club has just found out that by holding the Fail-safe button on the Rx down for about 6 seconds when turning on changes the frame rate from a higher rate for digital servos to a lower rate for analogue servos . He said its seemed to have cured the problem . Hope this helps anyone else who has the problem.

Thanks for the help and suggestions .

E.D.

Thread: Valve work
13/12/2019 10:41:58

Hello Wilco. The originals will be fine . I usually anneal them by heating before refitting . Be very careful if you try this as too much heat can destroy them . If in doubt just clean and refit them . Dont use any silicone or gasket paper it will do more harm than good .There may be one or two gaskets/shims the diagram shows two but just refit the same that came out . If I'm stuck for a head Gasket or shim I cut one from annealed Litho plate . Also Be careful not to over tighten the head bolts as once a head is distorted its a throw away job.

Hope it all goes well

E.D.

12/12/2019 16:27:47

Hello Wilco . When you say head gasket do you mean the Cylinder head to the cylinder joint / If yes then the gasket here is a thin Aluminium washer there may be two . If you mean the rocker cover that cover the valves then then there is no gasket need or fitted . Some FS engines like YS need a rocker cover gasket but the ASP don't have any pressure in the valve gear and the cover is just to keep the dirt out .. Os engines have a gasket fitted to the rocker cover but its not really needed .

There is no oil supply to the valves or rockers and they should be oiled after every few hours running.Also apply a few drops down the push-rod tubes to lube the tops of the cam followers . A good quality mineral based 2 stroke oil is fine provided it doesn't have any Castor oil in it

Thread: The Gov't, CAA, BMFA & UAV legislation thread
12/12/2019 15:53:36
Posted by Gavin Mack on 12/12/2019 13:39:51:

Not sue if this has already been discussed but if your operator ID is on the outside, then anyone could take your operator ID and put it on their drone or plane, fly it and possibly crash it near an airport etc. You would have difficulty proving you weren't flying. Although more complicated each plane should have a unique number displayed on it, linked to an operator id which is kept private.

Be careful what you wish for ! The powers that be make a pigs ear out of the present set . Imagine what it would be like if we had to register each model ?

Anyway the number doesn't have to be visible it clearly states your number has to be IN or ON a model . Mine will all be IN the model

Thread: Bespoke water slide decals
12/12/2019 15:43:55

The ink jet water slide paper may have improved over time. I used it when it came out some years ago and it took the print very well but the adhesive was very poor and the transfers kept peeling off when put onto Lightspan unlike the transfers we used when we were kids that really stuck. Have used the self adhesive inkjet clear and metallic with good results

Thread: Buying LiPo`s
11/12/2019 13:24:52

You could also try Rapid RC Justin keeps a good range of lipos in stock .

Thread: Judder on all servos with DFT module
10/12/2019 15:26:52

Thanks for you input Brian .

hello Peter yes not a problem worked that one out .

Thanks

E.D. (Phil)

10/12/2019 11:09:17

Hi Mike The Tx is a FF9 Super . The judder might better be described as stepping? they go move at an inconsistent speed hard todescribe

Alan have tried binding in telemetry and non telemetry modes the Rx binds ok in either mode and the servo response is better/smoother in telemtry mode .

Peter . we will try binding using the jumper method . It currently binds in either mode using the F/S button but will try the binding plug and see if any improvment

Thanks for all the input . We intend to go to the flying site when its a bit drier and try range checking and also see if some distance between the Tx an model changes anything.

Will let you know the outcome

09/12/2019 13:44:50

Thanks Peter I'll pass that on

09/12/2019 11:59:04

Can anyone shed any light on the following ? I recently obtained a FrSky DFT Futaba Tx module . I don't need or want any telemetry and am using a Vr8 11 Rx

Have set the switches on the back according to the instructions for use with this Rx , Binds instantly but all servos judder as if the frame rate is wrong . I have checked back on much earlier post and there were some dodgy modules in early batches. This one I was assured is from the later batch so in theory should be ok . Were there any fixes found ?

Thread: Can I have two Life batteries powering my Futaba receiver?
09/12/2019 08:58:00
Posted by Piers Bowlan on 23/09/2018 11:47:30:
Posted by Engine Doctor on 23/09/2018 11:31:09:
Posted by Allan Bennett on 22/09/2018 21:10:21:

A simple way to prevent two separate power sources interfering with each other is to simply install a Schottky diode (with a suitable amps rating) into each +ve battery lead before they go into the Y-plug or into two separate receiver inputs. Then if one fails in some way, the other will not be able to feed power into the duff one, but will continue to power the receiver. I've got such a system in several of my aircraft -- fixed wing and helis -- using BECs rather than batteries as the power sources. I've also added an LED to each 'channel' to give an indication if one of the power sources has failed.

yesThats my preferred method too. I also use a separate switch for each battery fitting the diodes into a "y" lead between the switch and Rx .

OK, so to ask a silly question, what is a 'suitable amp rating"?

I use schottky diodes 1000v 10Amp . You can buy them online 10 for a couple of pounds.

They will lower the voltage of a pack by about 0.25 to 0.5 v but if you use 5cell NiMh or two Life cells there isn't a problem.

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
CML
Sussex Model Centre
Slec
electricwingman 2017
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!