By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Essjay

Here is a list of all the postings Essjay has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Terry Wogan RIP
31/01/2016 15:31:58

Yes, I have all the Janet & John CD's as well, and have copies in the car for light relief on those long journeys when a good giggle is needed.

RIP Sir Tel.......one of lifes gents.

Thread: Hobby King rotary cutter...cuts iron on film
27/01/2016 19:01:19

John, you can order the Gyrocut from the Traplet shop on the following link. They're selling for £10.95, and the postage is around £2.80.

**LINK**

27/01/2016 17:57:53

I know it's quite a bit more expensive, but check out this video of the 'Gyrocut'. I have one, and it makes cutting shapes in covering materials a real doddle.

**LINK**

Thread: snakes - lubrication?
25/01/2016 11:44:32

I think the fact that any oil/grease could attract dirt is a good point. What I've done in the past is to use a good silicon furniture polish. Remove the inner snake and spray a small amount of polish on a clean rag, then draw the inner throught the rag. Replace in the outer and it should slide a treat. It works very well. As an aside, I've used this method on a sticky curtain rail as well.

Steve

Thread: Space X.....spot landing
23/01/2016 13:56:11
Posted by David P Williams on 23/01/2016 13:40:08:

...and his rivals just did this. Isn't this stuff really cool? Just like the stuff I used to read about and see in films when I was a kid.

Now that is impressive!!

Thread: New year caption competition!
22/01/2016 11:06:05

The new "Kawasaki model magnet" seems to work quite well!!

Thread: The best (and most overblown) name for a multicopter.......
20/01/2016 17:51:10

It was originally going to be called "The eye of Moses", because you can 'command' it from most 'tablets'.

..........I'll get my coat! blush

Thread: 2016 Nationals
11/01/2016 19:36:36

How about Long Marston? That seems to be fairly central N,S,E and West (if you don't count Scotland)

Thread: Windows 10 - Any Advice
01/01/2016 12:32:08

There is an excellent free program available called "Classic Shell" which allows you to customise in many ways your new Windows 10 installation to look like Windows 7. It really is quite extensive and I can highly recommend trying it.

You can find it here:

**LINK**

Thread: Geographical Position
18/12/2015 12:31:47

I was having accuracy problems with the website I linked to above, and since found a far more accurate site.

**LINK**

17/12/2015 11:04:49

Hi Erfolg, use this website to find the lat and long. Just place the curser on the map and read off the values.

**LINK**

Thread: Bold washing powder ad showing drone flying in a bedroom!!
16/12/2015 12:12:13

Area 51, the drone in the offending ad is clearly not the Aldi one you describe, but a far larger dji type, and certainly something I would not attempt to fly indoors, and I do fly a Blade 350 (sensibly and outside I must add).

I must admit I'm quite surprised at the differing opinions suggested in the thread, just goes to show that the whole "drone" thing has opened up a can of worms. I used the word 'outraged' in the OP, which may have been a tad over the top, in hindsight I should perhaps have said 'concerned'.

I don't necessarily agree that we're being over sensitive these days, just ask the mother whose toddler lost the site of one eye when a neighbour was 'demonstrating' his quad in their garden. And this was outside and not in the confines of a small bedroom.

Still, I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who seems 'concerned'.

Edited By Essjay on 16/12/2015 12:31:32

15/12/2015 22:19:10

I was watching the TV this evening and came accross an advert for "Bold" washing powder backed by Aldi supermarket which showed a youngster flying a large 'dji sized' drone in the confines of a small bedroom. Surely anyone in their right mind must realise this is a stupid thing to do.

It maybe that the ad was made using cgi, and wasn't real, but it still gives the impression that it's ok to do it. In the light of recent reports and the fact that there will be an awful lot of these given as presents this Christmas, I felt outraged enough to make a complaint using the system on the Advertising Standards Authority (ASA) website.

If you've seen this ad then please consider complaining as well. We all know there are irresponsible fliers out there, but these ads are just making things worse.

Thread: Lidl Modeling Jigsaw and Bench Grinder
05/12/2015 12:16:29

Have a look at Beesley Tools, they have a good stock of Proxxon tools and accessories including jigsaw blades.

**LINK**

Thread: Man blinds himself flying helicopter in his flat
30/11/2015 18:09:07

Dave, I think you'll find Ian was commenting on the guy flying his helicopter indoors, NOT the guy flying the drone which blinded the poor little boy.

Thread: The future of...
29/11/2015 11:28:17

I dont understand why these so-called "concept" videos use quads with exposed props!. Surely a lot of the safety concerns could be satisfied by purely encasing/shrouding the props. I don't see it affecting the flight characteristics in any way, but I could be wrong.

Thread: Help in choice of DSLR camera.
28/11/2015 11:30:17

Like Peter, I too have a Fuji HS-10 and a Canon DSLR. I totally agree about the flying shots, the Canon is far better than the Fuji, however for static/non action shots, the ease of use and versatility of the Fuji is second to none.

Buy both for the best of all eventualities! wink

Steve

Thread: Blue Peter does FPV
18/11/2015 15:55:53

Ooh! I wonder if we'll learn how to make an fpv quad from an old washing up liquid bottle and sellotape? wink

Thread: Messersmart!!
16/11/2015 14:57:02

Now, if it had been a SMARTFIRE............., smiley

Thread: Taking the quad copter plunge.
15/11/2015 09:36:35

Dave, you are correct, it's 10mW for 2.4GHz, and 25mW for 5.8GHz. Still way below the 200mW being recommended.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Slec
Wings & Wheels 2019
Sussex Model Centre
CML
electricwingman 2017
Cambridge Gliding Club
CADMA
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us