By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for John Bunting

Here is a list of all the postings John Bunting has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Loveliest shape ever???
30/09/2010 23:57:26
No doubt I'm biased, but for me you can't beat a good sailplane for looks. Had a share once in a 1939 Slingsby Petrel, over fifty years ago. Happy days. 
Thread: Aerodynamics - who needs it?
29/07/2010 12:41:18
Two caterpillars see a butterfly overhead, and one says, "You'll never get me up in one of those things!"
28/07/2010 16:17:01
Lots of gatekeeper butterflies in my garden, in Surrey, in the past week or two, including one with its starboard rear wing completely missing. Still flying perfectly well. Anyone fancy flying a biplane with one lower wing removed?
Thread: 24" Sopwith Pup
03/06/2010 11:59:40
Well done, Simon.  Now, for such a light model it would be interesting to get a good estimate of the flying speed, by getting someone to time it over a known distance. Also, knowing the wing loading, you could also work out the effective lift coefficient. I did this once with a little rubber-powered indoor model, flying in circles of known diameter, and it turned out to be 0.8 
Thread: Li-Po Repair
31/05/2010 16:06:59
Thanks, Timbo. Yes, caution is the word. However, the individual cell voltages were still perfectly normal: it was just the link between them that had broken.
31/05/2010 13:20:11
Just a week ago, a 2S 1000mA.H LiPo of mine suddenly went down to zero volts, and I found the link between the two cells had gone open-circuit. As the linking tag was aluminium, damaged, very thin and very small, I thought the chances of soldering it were pretty slim, so I cleaned it, strapped it back into contact with the bit of circuit board it connects to, using tight rubber bands round the pack, then sealed round the joint with cyano. So far it seems OK, but I'll give it a little mild knocking-about and run it at the maximum expected in-flight current before risking a model with it.
31/05/2010 12:58:26
Hi Simon. Has the lightweight Pup flown yet? I've been out of touch for a while, and as far as I can see your last post about it was on 18th March.
Thread: Are we an ageing hobby?
27/03/2010 14:04:34
Started  in 1941, aged 11, making the classic beginner's mistake of building a small rubber-powered scale model: a Vickers Wellesley. A Frog kit, I think. Total failure, for flying! Then a few solid scale models and chuck gliders, followed by a 31-inch span 'Baby Gull' glider, designed by RFL Gosling, in 1946. Success! And what's more, I still have it, after over 60 years. It's been re-covered once or twice, and still gets taken out for a flight occasionally. Now, mainly gliders and small electric models, that I can fly close to home.
25/01/2010 15:58:09
Hi Simon, and others,
I just googled 'giantcod', for their website, to see the spec for your motor, and this came up:
"Australian police launch enquiry after a man's head is found inside a giant cod at a fish processing plant".
Thread: logged out while composing reply
19/01/2010 17:16:47
 At the bottom of each thread it says 'please log in to post a reply'; so I log in, type my reply in the box, then sometimes another message comes up saying 'Please log in to use this feature'. So I've been logged out while actually writing my reply, and it's lost, so I have to do it again. Seems to me the only safe way is to write the reply in Word or something then copy or drag-and-drop it to the reply box.
Thread: Is there such a thing!
19/01/2010 16:29:43
How about the Boulton & Paul Sidestrand and Overstrand: medium bombers of about 1930. I've never seen a model of either of them.
19/01/2010 13:29:55
Hi Simon; it looks brilliant.
Call me a heretic, but I still think the first flight might be less risky over grass on a calm evening, rather than indoors!
About your control runs and tubing:  years ago, before I retired, I got some very small bore PTFE tubing from RS Components, and still have a bit of it. Have a look at their site. If you put 'PTFE sleeving' in the search box you should find it. The smallest size seems to be 0.7 mm bore, and of course it's very low friction. 
Thread: What's your favourite aviation based movie?
01/01/2010 16:10:55
Odd thing about that Blue Max poster: no wings visible on the triplane!
One film that only the oldies among us will remember: "One of our Aircraft is Missing", made about 1941 I think.
19/12/2009 12:44:56
With that power-to-weight ratio, Simon, I would think you'll never need to use full throttle!
(By the way, what's 'WOT' ? Haven't come across that one before.)
Further to Ken Lighten's advice a week ago, I have now received four sizes of foam cord, for tyres, that I ordered  from Vintage Car  Supplies: 4, 6, 8, and 10 mm, which should do for WW1 type wheels from about 3 to 12 cm diameter. It's very light weight, black, and can be stuck end-to-end with cyano to form a ring, taking care of course to get the ends properly lined up. The cyano makes a rather hard joint: possibly something like rubber solution as used for puncture repairs might be softer, but I haven't tried that yet.
 As I have three metres of each size, I' ll be happy to pass on enough for one pair of wheels to anyone here who can use it.  As it's pretty cheap, it's Christmas, and I'm feeling generous I don't want any payment for it: just give a few pounds to any charity of your choice.

Edited By Timbo - Administrator on 19/12/2009 13:14:29

Thread: No space, need a Tardis
16/12/2009 16:51:31
I have two 1.5 x 1 in.  verticals against a wall, 16 in. apart, each held by a single wall-plug and screw near the top, with 10 x 8 in. pressed steel shelf brackets (cheap from Screwfix) on them, spaced 8 in. apart vertically, or whatever suits your model sizes. No shelves, the model parts just rest across the brackets.  That gives eight levels, from near-floor to ceiling, and is easily altered if you need to. Models I don't expect to fly for some time go up in the loft, in long cardboard boxes or plastic bags.
12/12/2009 14:36:16
I have just ordered some of the foam cord from Vintage Car Parts, following Ken's info.
4.5, 6, 8, and 10 mm diameter, three metres of each, which was necessary to get just above the minimum order charge of £10. That's more than I will ever use, at my age, so I'll be happy to pass on a bit to anyone here who can use it.  Watch this space! 
12/12/2009 13:44:38
Yes, good point, Simon, about the spin speed. A case for trial-and-error, I think!
Tony and Ken; thanks for your suggestions. The foam cord looks very promising, being available in a range of sizes, lightweight, and cheap.
11/12/2009 19:41:51
Looking at your Pup wheels, Simon, it occurred to me that it would be nice if some enterprising manufacturer could produce a range of rubber or foam rings, for tyres on WW1 and other early aircraft.
 I am just cutting some rings from a chunk of what looks like a synthetic rubber foam I picked up somewhere.  Of course they will have square edges, so the idea is then to fit them to a wooden hub, spin them in the lathe at high speed, and see if I can shape them to a circular cross-section with a carefully-applied scalpel blade and abrasive paper.
Your Pup looks rather like a museum model which, incidentally, happens to be capable of flight!  As it's so light, I would be inclined to keep it for really calm weather out-of-doors, rather than risk any violent contact with walls, floor or ceiling. 
07/12/2009 22:33:23
Good to see it getting to an advanced stage, Simon.
A bit late for the Pup, but a couple of materials I've found useful for small models:
1. Bamboo barbeque skewers: strong and light. Glue a strip of balsa along one side, sand it off to a sharp edge, and you have a streamline section strut. Put a length of wire up the middle if you want a locating stub or hook at the ends.
2. Camembert cheese boxes; the round wooden ones. Top and bottom of approx. 3/32" ply; sides approx. 1/32" sheet wood wrapped round. Don't know what it is, but it's very light and flexible. Taken off the box, you can bend it to about 1 inch radius of curvature; probably less with a bit of steaming or hot water. 
Thread: Piano wire
30/11/2009 18:13:12
Well, I did wonder, John. No doubt Eric will get back to us.
You sometimes see stuff of about 1/4 inch diameter referred to as 'piano wire';  (some piano!)  I suppose people making really big models might use it.
Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Wings & Wheels 2019
electricwingman 2017
Slec
CML
Gliders Distribution
Cambridge Gliding Club
Pepe Aircraft
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Do you use a throttle kill switch?
Q: This refers to electric-powered models but do you use a throttle kill switch?

Yes
 No
 Sometimes
 Rarely

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us