By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for John Bunting

Here is a list of all the postings John Bunting has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: 24" Sopwith Pup
30/11/2009 10:21:06
Thanks, Simon. That lets me off the hook re. Terry's question!
Getting models af slow-flying aircraft like the Pup to fly slow enough, and look realistic in flight, is difficult, and more so for smaller models. At your scale, of about 1/13, and assuming a full-size speed of 100 mph, I'd say the model would look right flying at about 7 mph.
29/11/2009 22:32:00
Hi Terry.
I answered your enquiry, but then, to my intense annoyance, found I'd been logged off while doing it, and lost it, although I'd logged on only shortly before. This has happened to me before! I'll try again tomorrow.
Thread: logged out while composing reply
29/11/2009 22:18:36
How do I prevent getting logged out while typing in the 'reply' box?  This often happens unless I can complete my reply very quickly. It's infuriating to take care over explaining something, and then find I am logged out, and lose it, although I logged in only about half an hour earlier.
29/11/2009 17:26:26
That will be great, Simon, if you can get it near 5 oz. The speed should then be around 10 mph: more realistic, and you might get away with an even smaller motor.
For flying, I'd be inclined to find a place with nice soft grass and wait for a calm evening. Any good sites in your area?
Thread: Piano wire
29/11/2009 16:32:24
Thanks, Paul.  Everyone here has been most helpful. Great bunch of guys, aeromodellers!
29/11/2009 14:03:34
Simon, I've just done few figures on the Pup, using your estimated weight of 10 oz, and the wing area for 24 inch span, which I calculate to be 1.447 sq. ft, i.e. 208 sq. ins. That gives a wing loading close to 7 oz. per sq. ft. (with apologies to all you modern types who prefer to use metric!). Assuming a sort of average lift coefficient of 0.8, and referring to my ancient copy of R H Warring's 'Nomographs for the Aeromodeller' (published about 1940, price 2/-), that gives a flying speed of about 22 feet per second, or 15 m.p.h. 
As to what is a realistic 'scale speed' for flying scale models - well, that's another whole can of worms!
Thread: Micro-aircraft
29/11/2009 13:13:18
Myron. Further to yours of 27th, 'Spintronics' seems to be the buzz word for it!  0 or 1, up or down, alive or dead, like Schrodinger's Cat.
29/11/2009 12:46:21
Yes indeed Eric. I begin to think, these days, how small do we need to go!  I've just bought a 4-channel 'Corona' receiver, roughly 35 x 15 x 7 mm, weight about 5 grams. Really big, of course, compared to what's used for some indoor models!
29/11/2009 12:29:25
Thanks, Eric. It would never have occurred to me to try B&Q for piano wire.  I wonder if they have it coiled or in straight lengths - and what plumbers or other tradesmen actually use it for!  Straight would be better of course, for undercarts, struts etc. Anyway, thanks to Bruce's advice here I have some on order from Inwoods: even-number sizes from 16 to 24 swg, which should keep me going for some time.

Thread: Micro-aircraft
27/11/2009 14:23:44
Interesting article in yesterday's Daily Telegraph 'Careers in Engineering' supplement, about some research at Birmingham University on a propane-fuelled micro-turbine engine. Among many possible applications for it are micro-aircraft, the size of a housefly, and battery-powered devices such as mobile phones. If that's likely, then it's a fair bet that there will be applications in the hobby market as well in due course.  Related work in nanotechnology is also being done at other universities, Surrey Satellite Technology Ltd, and QinetiQ.

27/11/2009 13:51:38
interesting photos, Simon. Where was that machine photographed?
I've only done one bit of metal spinning, a spinner for a small Bristol M1 monoplane, which is a fairly simple bowl shape. I assume your Dad's cowling was done starting with a flat disc on the front of a former and working it backwards to get the cylindrical shape. I may try to do one, as I am just starting on a 1/12 scale 1914 French 'Ponnier' scout prototype (50 HP Gnome). Far simpler than your Pup, though: wings probably light 1/16 sheet, with the camber held in by ribs on the underside.
27/11/2009 11:37:47
Thanks, Dave and Bruce. Inwoods looks promising, if they can send straight lengths taped to a piece of wood or something to stop it getting bent in transit. I see they do 'streamline' as well, which I haven't seen before. I assume this is streamline section tubing for interplane struts etc.
27/11/2009 01:04:43
I'm curious to see how you are going to tackle the cowling, Simon. I did a beaten aluminium cowling for my 1/8 scale Pup many years ago. Turned up a hardwood former, with a 1/4 inch deep recess on the front, so when the metal was worked round far enough it was tapped into the recess to form a rim or flange round the front opening. The al. sheet was held round the former with a metal strap, and of course had to be taken off and re-annealed quite often, when it got work-hardened. Took ages to get the wrinkles out, but the end result wasn't too bad.
27/11/2009 00:42:55
Does anyone know of an online model shop that has piano wire? I have no local shop, and have spent the evening browsing most of those that advertise in RCM&E, but none of them seem to have any. I'm looking mainly for small sizes, up to 16 swg or 1.5mm.
Thread: Electrifying a glider...
20/11/2009 11:05:41
Hi Heaton.
For a start, I would suggest test-gliding the model with the motor switched off. If the CG and rigging angles are as they should be, it should glide OK, although being heavier it will be faster than it would have been as a pure glider. You might slope-soar it if you have a slope handy. Then try again with the motor at low speed, giving a powered glide, then a bit faster still, and so on. You should then see when anything funny begins to happen. As a point of interest, what is the wing loading?
17/11/2009 16:17:27
This takes me back a bit, Simon, as I still have a 1/8 scale Pup that I built in 1967. It was an Aeromodeller free-flight design, published about 1950, adapted for single-channel R/C. The engine was an old Frog 100 diesel, the original one with  the tie-rods down the sides of the cylinder. I made a scale-size prop for it, twelve-and-a-half inch diameter but very fine pitch, which gave just enough thrust to fly it. At present I am converting it to electric power.
I admire your application to the airframe construction. I may have missed a few things in previous posts, but can you tell us what motor, battery, radio and servos you are using?

Thread: Name the new Britflight plane
17/11/2009 14:54:52
SKIPPER.
Thread: Charger software CD
11/11/2009 23:02:43
Well, Dell say that the optical drive on the Studio 1535 only reads standard 120mm CDs, and an 80mm one might get stuck inside. Just as I feared. I've emailed the charger maker, 'VistaPower', to ask if the software can be downloaded from their website, but I'm not holding my breath.
11/11/2009 22:08:43
Thanks for your kind offer, Olly. I live near Godalming, Surrey. However, I have one or two friends near here who might be able to help, so I'll try them, and see what Dell say about it, then maybe get back to you if necessary.
I don't know why the makers of the charger had to use this small CD: there's enough room in the box for a standard size one. Inscrutable, these Chinese.
11/11/2009 19:36:14
Thanks, all.  My computer is a Dell Studio 1535 laptop, which doesn't have a pop-out drawer, just a slot. I've asked Dell support about this CD: if and when I get a reply, I'll let you know. However, I've just noticed my Dell Quick Reference Guide says the optical drive doesn't support irregularly-shaped discs or discs smaller than 120 mm, which doesn't sound good.
Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Gliders Distribution
Pepe Aircraft
Wings & Wheels 2019
Slec
electricwingman 2017
CML
Cambridge Gliding Club
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Do you use a throttle kill switch?
Q: This refers to electric-powered models but do you use a throttle kill switch?

Yes
 No
 Sometimes
 Rarely

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us