By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for John Bunting

Here is a list of all the postings John Bunting has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Charger software CD
11/11/2009 17:49:26
I've just bought a VistaPower EV-650A charger/discharger/balancer from BRC Hobbies, which looks a good buy at £30. However, it comes with a small 80 mm diameter software CD for computer-monitoring the system. Can these small discs be read in the same slot on a laptop as used for standard 120mm CDs? I don't want to put it in then find it can't be read and/or won't come out!
John Bunting. 
Thread: The fastest motor?
26/06/2009 12:12:02
I see Sir James Dyson has come up with a new vacuum cleaner using a 'digital switched relutance' motor, running at 104,000 rpm, which he claims is the fastest motor in the world. Is he right? Don't some model gas turbines run faster than that? Of course if he means just electric motors, not any kind of IC engine, he may be right.
Thread: A 6oz. ED Bee?
25/04/2009 11:04:09
Yes Peter, I had three Mills 1.3s, all with different porting. I played around with home-made throttle units for them, and it took me some time to realise that it was a waste  of time trying to throttle an engine with sub-piston induction, as even with the throttle almost closed the engine was still taking in enough air under the piston to keep running fast. Any further closure would just stop the fuel being sucked in, and stop the engine. The only one that would throttle reasonably well. which I still have, is an early Mk II 1.3, with no sub-piston induction at all.
04/04/2009 17:55:25
Sorry folks, that got accidentally posted before it was finished!
The Mills 0.75 and 1.3 diesels weighed about 2oz and 3.5 oz respectively, if I remember correctly. So did an ED Bee, which was only 1cc, really weigh as much as 6oz?
Mr Downes also says that the ED Comp Special, which I think was 2cc, was 'a good bit lighter'. Lighter than a Bee?  Something funny here: has a typo crept in somewhere?
I would also question whether the Bee was 'better made all round' than the Mills! 
04/04/2009 17:46:21
A letter from Mr M Downes in the May RCM&E says that the ED Bee diesel was 'better made all round' than the Mills, but much heavier at 6oz..
Thread: Boomerang repair
04/03/2009 22:44:33
Talking of boomerangs, wasn't there a Burt Rutan assymetric aircraft called the Boomerang? Now that would make an interesting scale job.
Thread: Flying Eagle
11/02/2009 17:30:45
Try a pterosaur sometime. You'd probably have David Attenborough and half the staff of the Natural History Museum turning up for it.
Thread: Aviation Funnies
08/02/2009 19:22:45
A few funnies from from early issues of 'Flight', on-line. Nice to see there was a healthy disrespect for bureaucracy in WW1: this one is from 1917:

"Miss Gertrude Hinds has had the honour of being fined ten shillings by Kent magistrates for photographing a fallen Gotha without official sanction. It is, without doubt, hardened criminals of this type which has necessitated the bringing in of the "Dora" (Defence of the Realm Act) regulations, as it is obvious that the only possible reason for this proceeding on Miss Hinds' part was to impart information on Gotha machines to the enemy".

For a page of front-line humour, see "An RFC Mechanic's Diary. By Corporal Vee", starting on page 775, 'Flight', July 11, 1918.  A couple of samples:

"A  DH6 was reported by the police for loitering over a village near the aerodrome. The pilot is taking action for slander, as he swears the machine was moving all the time"

"Found a piece of rubber tyre in my sausage this morning, which helps to prove that the motor-car is replacing the horse everywhere".

These early issues are worth a look for drawings and photographs, and a few little-known aircraft types, for scale modelling.
Thread: Skis anyone?
03/02/2009 17:27:04
My skis, Ian, were on an old APS 'Frankenstein', 50 inch span, weighing about 2 lb, with single-channel radio,  They were about an inch wide and 10 or 12 inches long, so 20 to 24 square inches total area. The model took off OK with them, but there was only a light fall of snow at the time, so I'm not sure how they would have performed on deep snow.
02/02/2009 14:39:56
Some skis I made many years ago were 16g alloy sheet, rounded and bent up at the front, with lugs about half-way along that fitted on the axles in place of the wheels. Cords from the rear of the skis to the fuselage were long enough for the skis to be nose-up in flight, and elastic bands from the front to the fuselage kept them in that attitude, but allowed them to lay flat on the snow during take-off and landing. The area of the skis needs to be large enough to prevent them sinking into the snow by more than a few millimetres. You can probably guesstimate this by tests with a bit of sheet metal and a few weights. Hope this helps.
Thread: Browne Monoplane
23/01/2009 16:42:38
Sorry, Dave: Correction. I should have said 90 grams, not 30!
23/01/2009 16:38:51
Dave, I haven't built the model, but I see from the article that Nick Browne had 30 grams, just over 3 oz, of weight on the nose of his model, so if yours needs over a pound to get the CoG right it sounds as if it's turned out considerably more tail-heavy than his. He gives the all-up weight as 4lb 10oz.  What does yours weigh?
Nick says he will answer any questions here on the forum. 
Thread: Recycling -Did modellers invent it ?
02/01/2009 19:21:00

Recycling? Years ago I had a wing from an old control-line stunt model that ended up as the tailplane of my first R/C power model, an APS 'Frankenstein'. Anyone remember it? The original tailplane, built to the plan, warped badly and I could never get it straight.

Back in the fifties I worked at the RAE, Farnborough, and our model club there got a couple of 'ditching models'. These were large solid balsa un-powered models that were launched into a tank of water to study the aircraft's behaviour when ditching. One was a Gloster Javelin; can't remember the other, but they were made of lovely hard balsa. Still got a few bits of it now.  

Thread: Cover Art
21/12/2008 22:44:00
The old Aeromodeller covers, up to sometime in the fifties I think, were water-colour paintings by Rupert Moore. I have a few bound volumes, the earliest going back to December 1941, but sadly they don't include the covers. Anyone else here old enough to remember the McGillicuddy stories, and the Freddie cartoons?
17/12/2008 19:33:00

Hooray, that's better!

Having complained, a few months ago, about the quality of RCM&E cover art, I am happy to see that a distinct improvement has now taken place. Mike Goldby's Sopwith Dolphin on the January cover is not only a superb looking model, but well photographed, in a natural setting. True, we still don't see all of it, but you can see nearly all if you turn to page 27. Sorry to read that you were unwell during the meeting, Mike: hope you are better now.

Thread: Looking for 16 ohms
12/11/2008 00:38:00
Myron, a very useful high-current variable resistor that I've used for years is just a 1 Kilowatt electric fire element: the wire-wound bar type, about half an inch thick. In normal 240v operation these take about 4 amps, so the resistance is about 60 ohms, but varies a bit with current and temperature. If you can find a large croc. clip, the type with rounded jaws that fits on a car battery terminal, you can clip it onto the bar and move it along to get any resistance you want up to the maximum.  Then all you need is a cheap digital multimeter, £5 or less from Maplins, which has a 10 amp current range, adjust the clip to set your discharge current to whatever you want, and off you go.
Thread: 100 years of British, Manned, powered, heavier than air flight today!
16/10/2008 22:30:00
Robin, I was at Farnborough in the 1950s, and knew a Jim Colbourne who had an Aeronca C3, registration G-AEWU I think. First powered aircraft I ever flew in, from Farnborough to Lasham. Any relation? 
Thread: Aircraft Art
16/10/2008 19:25:00
Hi, Eric and Ernie. Yes, I take your point. Look at the camber on the Camel's lower wing, compared with the top one!
15/10/2008 23:06:00

Anyone who's into aviation-related art might be interested in some drawings by Ernst Udet, currently being offered for sale by a London auction house, Bloomsbury Auctions. click here 

Thread: To UBEC or not?
27/09/2008 23:33:00
Years ago, in an electromagnetic flow-meter circuit, I used a resistor in parallel with a 7805, so the power dissipated in the regulator was less, and the current consisted of a regulated and an unregulated component. You just have to select the resistor so that the regulated voltage is maintained under all possible load conditions. Possibly this might help in some BEC applications. 
Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Wings & Wheels 2019
electricwingman 2017
Slec
CML
Gliders Distribution
Cambridge Gliding Club
Pepe Aircraft
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Do you use a throttle kill switch?
Q: This refers to electric-powered models but do you use a throttle kill switch?

Yes
 No
 Sometimes
 Rarely

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us