By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Ian Jones

Here is a list of all the postings Ian Jones has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Website Not Secure
13/06/2018 11:25:03

Only just come back to this thread, pleased to see the result. Thanks Beth.

Thread: Difference between 2.4 module and 2.4 tx.
13/06/2018 11:06:19

Not JR but on a similar vane, I use several Hitec Modules (in Futaba & Hitec module type transmitters) and one "built in" Hitec Transmitter. With these I use genuine Hitec receivers, FrSky comaptible receivers, and Ikonnik KA-6 compatible receivers; all without issues.

The issues with the JR modules/transmitters seems very strange, has anyone else experienced the same problem I wonder. Are oreange receivers cheap enough to try out a new one as a test?

Thread: New Drone Laws from 30/5/2018
08/06/2018 13:40:03
Posted by Megawatt on 08/06/2018 11:45:31:

I think I need to challenge the assumption that this legislation is to clear the airspace above 400' for commercial drone ops. Full size aircraft are subject to a 500' rule and it is quite legitimate for them to descend to that height for whatever reason and remain legal. IMO the 400' limit and 1KM from an airfield is to allow separation from full-size aircraft and ensure that any increase in commercial drone ops remains segregated from manned aircraft. We shall be sharing the 0-400' range with them.

Sounds right to me.

That said, 400' is painfully low. Fly at 200' and pull in a large loop or go up for a good old multi rotation spin (bearing in mind the need to pull out well before the crunch) and it's easy to get up there. As for thermal gliding, 400' is nothing. I've tested all this with GPS telemetry and found it to be so.

I beleive a lot of the fun we freely enjoy at the moment could be affected in such a way that it just won't be worth doing.

I don't suppose they'll be any compensation scheme for those forced to abandon £K's worth of models & equipement.

I hope BEB's optimism turns out to be correct.

Thread: Where do you stand when taking off?
08/06/2018 12:57:57
Posted by Geoff Sleath on 08/06/2018 12:28:08:
Posted by Ian Jones on 08/06/2018 12:06:40:tripping over the buddy lead when walking to pilots box.

Another point in relation to beginners is, who does the early take-offs anyway? The instructor does. If he does so from the pilots box then the novice is already becoming accustomed to that view.

I seem to remember when I was learning (I still am!) I wasn't allowed to take off until I could land, which seems sensible as take offs are much easier - it's getting the model back down safely (and hopefully elegantly) that's hard.

Geoff

That's a good point too Geoff, learning how to make an aborted landing can't be done from behind the model and a take off has a lot of similarities to a low level abort, apart from the ground run of course.

I too wondered if, as Martin suggests, there's an element of "this is the way we've always done it"? Though perhaps Andy's comment answers the OP.

It would be interesting to hear from a NATS regular on this point.

08/06/2018 12:06:40

As well as the safety issues already mentioned, which I totally agree with, standing behind the model gives the pilot an unusual view of his model!

At all times during the flight the pilot is (or should be), in the pilot's box and therefore is viewing his model from the same position. From that position he is controlling the speed and direction of the model and also from that position he has to conduct a landing, which unles it's a crash results in the model travelling along the strip in a controlled manner - similar to a take off. So it makes no sense at all to stand in a different place for take off.

It doesn't make any sense to me to teach a beginner to take off from behind the model then change his position to one he is not accustomed to later. I have found training beginners to take off from the pilots box no more difficult than training them to take off from behind the model, furthermore if a buddy lead is in use there's no tripping over the buddy lead when walking to pilots box. Progressing to learning to take off involves(for me at least) teaching ground handling first, from the pilots box, so again why take off from anywhere else.

Another point in relation to beginners is, who does the early take-offs anyway? The instructor does. If he does so from the pilots box then the novice is already becoming accustomed to that view.

Edited By Ian Jones on 08/06/2018 12:10:55

Thread: Martyn's Dalotel
29/05/2018 13:49:40

Sunshine all around us, perhaps a bit draughty today though. Whatever the weather get the covering on, it's going to be a beauty,

Thread: All change at RCM&E
29/05/2018 12:52:02

Hi David,

Disappointed to hear this news, you were making an excellent job as editor, however looking after your health, as I know very well, must come first.

Good luck with your future plans, don't pack up but keep them within your own personal limits.

All the best, Ian

Edited By Ian Jones on 29/05/2018 12:53:00

Thread: Get rid of wiring!!
10/04/2018 11:10:49

Would be good but is this a demonstration of an idea rather than a working model?

For example what happens when RF signals are introduced into the equation - for our purposes essential.

Those servos don't just simply work, there's a control system which needed switching on for each one.

Still I hope it does come to something.

Thread: NEW POLL! The 2018 Transmitter Survey!
10/04/2018 01:40:19

Currently I use:

Futaba SkySport6 (simulator only)

Futaba 6EXA (simulator only)

Hitec Eclipse 7 (35Mhz and 2.4Ghz)

Futaba T8UAP (Hitec 2.4Ghz module)

Hitec Eclipse 7 Pro

The Hitec Tx's are my primary radios, the Futaba T8UAP I mainly use for sloping.

Thread: Your Transmitter History
10/04/2018 01:37:20

My Own:

Futaba SkySport6

Sanwa, A brief 2nd hand encounter, can't remember the model

Futaba 6EXA

Futaba T7UAP (Hitec 2.4Ghz module)

Hitec Eclipse 7 Pro

For training purposes all the above plus:

Spektrum (various)

Sanwa (various)

Futaba T6J

Futaba FF6

Futaba Challenger

JR (can't remember the model)

Hitec Aurora

I don't do much training these days but of my own Tx's, these are still in use:

Futaba SkySport6 (simulator only)

Futaba 6EXA (simulator only)

Hitec Eclipse 7 Pro

Thread: Website Not Secure
05/04/2018 20:24:30

Actually it's potentially quite important.

How many people use the same password for two or more websites and how many of those websites contain personal or banking information?

So, someone grabs your email address and password from here and they can then use the same credentials to try and get into your more sensitive websites. Hopefully your personal websites have better security measures than just email & password login, then again some websites are a bit behind the times.

The risk is there and that is why nearly all websites that require a log-in now use SSL (Secure Sockets Layer) which is visible to users as the previously mentioned https protocol.

Thread: 3D Printed fuel tanks
05/04/2018 18:06:01

Hi Levanter,

Polythene? tell you the truth, I don't know. Big sort out in my garage today, might be able to get in there and get some work done soon, so hopefully will be making some progress.

Edited By Ian Jones on 05/04/2018 18:06:22

21/03/2018 14:09:26

I'm looking into this, don't have a final answer at the moment but I can say definitely do not use PLA. I've got a photo somewhere of some testing I did by leaving the filament in some fuel for a few weeks. Nylon is looking quite promising.

Thread: Show Us Your 3D Prints
21/03/2018 13:58:52

Wow, Gunter, that is impressive

09/03/2018 14:34:49
Posted by Robin Etherton on 07/03/2018 20:16:24:

Ian

Only just saw your post.

The easymax001 is now finished. The thin wall printing is easier than it looks and is just a matter of fiddling with the settings. 3dlabprint instructions are very helpfull.

See my blog for details.

Finished model below.

c98dbf82-eaf5-4e87-a425-9b70bbe0954a.jpeg

Thanks Robin, seen the blog, looking foward to hearing about the maiden.

Thread: FMS Typhoon
22/02/2018 00:34:54

Well done Cliff - I'll try and get my friend to try the undercariage mod.

Thread: Seagull P40 - weak bulkhead / poor design
22/02/2018 00:32:32

Pleased to see it all coming together now Ron. Good looking model too. At least the bulkhead won't depart the airframe smile.

Hope you are going to post a video when you have it flying.

Thread: 3dlab.com
22/02/2018 00:15:03

So just to be clear, the invasion stripes are different coloured PLA?

Looks brilliant.

Thread: Show Us Your 3D Prints
22/02/2018 00:10:26
Posted by Tony Bennett on 18/02/2018 16:59:39:

i mix printing with depron in my builds.

my aerobat has a 3d printed front section including battery box, motor mount and u/c mount with a depron outer skin.

The wellesley has some thin 3d printed formers to maximise internal space for cockpit detail.

Tony B

Mixed builds seem a popular way of making up for missing detail, how did you find the weight worked out with the printed formers?

I've got some catching up to do! Nice work everyone thumbs up.

Thread: Durafly Vampire V2?
18/02/2018 15:43:18

V2, the Canadian Version?

Looks like it's addressed some of the issues of the original version (the one I have) so although I have been flying it for some years I don't think I can help.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Model Aircraft? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Overlander
electricwingman 2017
Wings & Wheels 2018
Expo Tools 14 July
CML
Gliders Distribution
Airtek Hobbies
Slec
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
What is the main brand of transmitter you use? (2018)
Q: What is the main brand of transmitter you use?

FrSky
 Futaba
 Graupner
 HiTec
 Jeti
 JR
 Multiplex
 Spektrum
 Other

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues