By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Ian Jones

Here is a list of all the postings Ian Jones has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Show Us Your 3D Prints
16/04/2017 10:11:47
Posted by Trevor Rushton on 16/04/2017 08:18:03:

Tony, I like the look of that wheel; I have drawn up something similar for my Avia using Fusion 360, however I got stuck on drawing the spoke holes on the inside of the rim and I have not progressed it. What diameter are you making? I need about 90mm.

Trevor

idea Ah! now I get it!

Slow or what embarrassed.

Great idea chaps.

16/04/2017 00:32:33

Geoff D, Nice stacks! I'm sure they will do your mossy proud.

Tony B, Spoteed your front end of fuselage build, you're really getting into it aren't you? Must confess I haven't worked out what your latest is yet though.

Thread: Dynamic Soaring World Record 519mph
14/04/2017 16:01:36

Incredible, amazing that anyone can keep sight of a model at that speed.

Thread: Joining 3D Printed Parts
12/04/2017 16:05:31
Posted by Robert Armstrong 2 on 30/03/2017 08:47:49:

UHU Por seems to have worked quite well for PLA, though the parts have only been together for a few days and are not subject o much load. I tried thick cyano on two bits of the raft offcuts, with poor adhesion. Might have been better with kicker?

I think cyano is used for PLA quite a lot but I don't know how good the join would be under stress, especially if kicker is used.

Anyone stress tested any of these methods?

Thread: Wanhao i3 Duplicator V2
12/04/2017 15:58:18

How's it going Colin?

Edited By Ian Jones on 12/04/2017 16:00:18

Thread: Show Us Your 3D Prints
11/04/2017 01:02:11

If only steam was an option wink 2.

Actually an interesting exercise that demonstrates the only limit is at the end of our imagination.

Thread: 3D Printers, where do you store and use yours
11/04/2017 00:24:05

Whilst my printer was safe sitting on a piece of old work-top bridging a shelf and bench, it was not ideally placed, blocking access to the adjacent shelf in particular.

enclosed.jpg

We are having a new bathroom fitted so it's an opportunity to change things, "how's that" you may ask dont know. Well, the electrician will not fit the electric shower whilst we have on old fashioned fuse box, which also had an access problem as it was partly obscured by the framework of a bench, so the bench had to come out, which meant just about everything else had to be moved around too; I expect you can see where this is going now. So I'll stop the long, long story there and just finish it off by saying that I built another bench to cater for the 3D printer and also for other items that lacked somewhere to live.

newbenchprogressive.jpg

So, now you know why I haven't been around much for the last week or two. Yay, now I can do some more 3D printing teeth 2.

Thread: Fusion 360 for modellers
10/04/2017 20:03:05

This is all good stuff, now I've got my 3d printer setup in it's new location I'll be catching with it all.

Thread: A Flying Ostrich!!
08/04/2017 23:31:17

Yes very amusing, thanks Cymaz.

Pity about the punch line though, "cant" = hypocritical and sanctimonious talk, typically of a moral, religious, or political nature. I don't think that's what Samsung intended dont know disgust wink 2

Thread: Wings - the tv series
08/04/2017 01:23:13

By Co-incidence I have just watched the episode where Farmer was Court Marshalled, Tim Piggot-Smith being the Chairman (?) of the court.

Thread: Geoff's Tucano
03/04/2017 00:53:19

Wow, I'm pleased to see that I'm not the only one to take years to finish my Tucano(s). One is glow powered and has actually flown but the inverted engine has flooding issues so I don't regard it as finished. The other is an a slope version which at about the same stage as yours.

So please don't rush yours, it saves me considerable embarrassment wink 2.

02/04/2017 00:31:05
Posted by Martin Harris on 31/03/2017 01:05:14:

It's a very long time since I watched it but IIRC the central character was named Farmer and was played by Tim (son of Edward) Woodward.

Ah yes, I remember that now, it's all coming back to me, well some of it anyway wink 2

Thread: Caption competition!
01/04/2017 11:14:47

There was a pilot that thought it would be thrilling,

And a launcher that was remarkably willing,

To commence a flight inverted,

Knowing that disaster would be averted,

Due to the skill in engineering of the wonderful Miss Shilling.

30/03/2017 23:57:16

I remember it first time round but couldn't remember what the series was called. The naem Farmer rings a bell, was it a character or an actor?

Armed with this info I will get the set too. Ta very much.

29/03/2017 00:24:25

Aussie modeller wins Monty Python's falling over backwards award.

Thread: Spring is Here....
29/03/2017 00:20:33
Posted by Tom Sharp 2 on 28/03/2017 00:31:00:

That's what I like to see, a happy bunny. cool

You'll be a happy bunny too, 'cos I cut strip whilst I was there.

28/03/2017 19:37:19

I say chaps, look at our Algy, he's the only one that's doing it right.

27/03/2017 20:51:12

My trusty 14 years old trainer suffered an uncharacteristic dead stick last week. The last one, if there was one with this engine, was so long ago I can't remember it. The model was okay but the engine was a write off, bits of metal and bearings all over the place.

Today with a new ASP 46 mounted in the front I headed off to the field and was quite surprised by what happened, not only did it start easily, first time of asking (okay they do that) but after setting the main needle the idle was spot on. It just sat there burbling away nicely and when I opened the throttle after 30 seconds or so there was no hesitation in achieving the top end revs I had set for running in. Nice one Mr ASPthumbs up. I'm sure it would have been fine flown like that but I like to know the engines really ready.

So, a few heat cycles on the ground and off she went, as good as new, no issues. A gorgeous day full of blue sky, skylarks, buzzards, ravens, reed buntings and a bright yellow Irvine Tutor 40.

Really pleased smile.

Edited By Ian Jones on 27/03/2017 20:51:51

Thread: The Atom Special
27/03/2017 20:28:06

Mine's still flat packed sad.

27/03/2017 01:28:33

I believe it was busy yesterday Tom. Since it's it's not so far to travel I might get away with sneaking down there myself mid morning.

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Slec
CML
electricwingman 2017
Sussex Model Centre
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!