By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Ian Jones

Here is a list of all the postings Ian Jones has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Galaxy Scorpion Twin - info request
27/04/2007 01:22:00
Too right and one of the modifications will be to fit bigger fuel tanks I think I'm only goping to get 8 minutes out of the ones fitted at present. Another modification will be to re-instate the steerable nosewheel - that's all it would have needed to prevent it from rolling into the battery box the other day, fortunately no harm was done but just taking out a prop could have ended the day's flying unnecessarily.

Not everyone agrees with me but I think learning to land properly is far better than locking off the nosewheel. The gains of having this steering by far outweighs the losses of nose legs and fuselage noses. Many new flyers damage this steering mechanism because of landing nose heavy and sometimes this is caused by setting the CG too far forward. The advice "better a little nose heavy than tail heavy" tends to end up as being nose heavy is OK, well it isn't. It makes the final glide and in some case the flare for a gentle landing impossible. Some people even convert to tail draggers so they don't damage the nose leg which by the sheer absence of a noseleg is bound to work (even if it does nose over & stick the prop in the strip) but anyone who can actually do a proper three pointer on a tail dragger should be able to land on a tricycle under carraige easily.

Anyway the "maintenance" isn't too serious but will take a good few hours to do properly and as you will see in due course, I have a few other things in the development hangar at the moment so delays are inevitable.

Have you had a look at www.forum.scrcs.co.uk yet?
23/04/2007 13:59:00
Gareth,

At least you saw it fly!

The maintenance schedule following rigidy testing may take a little while.

Hopefully it will be airworthy soon.

Oh also - let me have your email address next time I see you - the club list is very hard to read and I think that is why none of my emails seem to be reaching you.

Bye, Ian
Thread: Next stage model required
20/04/2007 11:28:00
The Seagull PC9 is fine on a 46 (mine is an Irvine) and this gives decent performance without being mad. If you find that it's hard to slow down when landing you might like to set the CG back 10mm from the instructions. It flies great out of the box but I've done this shift on 4 of these PC9s without adversley affecting normal flying (2 were mine & 2 belonged to others with favourable remarks). However it does allow a slower glide making the 'plane easier to land. By the way I know of PC9 with a 52/tuned pipe combination and goes like stink!
Thread: Fruitless flipping...almost
20/04/2007 11:02:00
I have had an SC52 FS for about 3 years. It's been great but the first start of a session has been critical.

The way I start mine is similar to some of the other suggestions but with a small variation. The issue is knowing when the engine is suitably primed and it's done by listening very carefully:

1. Fuel up
2. Set main needle 2.5 turns out
3. Turn the prop by hand until it has just gone past compression (makes it easier for the starter to spin up from this position)
4. Fully open throttle
5. Apply the starter (without glow clip attached) and listen, if you can see the fuel supply to the carb watch that too.
6.When the fuel reaches the engine the sound of the engine turning will become more muffled and the lubrication this provides will cause an increase in the speed it turns over. (If you can see the fuel being drawn along the fuel pipe into the carb that will give you a good clue this is about to happen.) As soon as this happens stop turning over the engine and...
7. .... immediatly apply the glow clip and turn over the engine with the electric starter.
8. At this point you should be smiling!
9. Follow previous advice on running in and setting needles.

Sometimes I don't use this engine for a while and I forget to follow this routine, it doesn't get properly primed and it will not start.

As mentioned elswhere though, the cautionary note is not to hydraulically lock the motor. If at any point you suspect that it is locked or the starter stops turning the engine remove the the glow clip and follow the advice already given for a locked engine. NEVER touch the prop with the glow clip connected.

Hope this is a useful addition to the good advice already offered.
14/04/2007 06:22:00
Hi Gareth,
I hope to clock up another flight this weekend and post some flying photo's soon after. If I can get some video done I'll put in a link to it.

Hey what's this? Gareth P? If I'm not mistaken you will be seeing the real thing at a field near you!
Thread: Got My A Cert Today
04/04/2007 13:36:00
I've had a look at the Tucano, good looking and as far as I can see quite solidly built. I'm getting a Tucano shortly myself, the Overlander model intended for electric motors but I'm going to put an OS25 in it. I expect the handling will be similar to the PC9 althouth the Phoenix Tucano wing looks more true to life than the Seagull model of the PC9.
03/04/2007 22:57:00
Hi shaun and well done.

My second 'plane was a Seagull Pilatus PC9 and I'm still flying one 3 years on. Have you seen the review on this site? (RCME PC9 Review).There are several being flown down at my club and everyone is happy with them, here is a photo of a couple of them..
Thread: Seagull Pilatus PC9
03/04/2007 22:54:00
Mine flew fine out of the box too but the landings were much improved by the slight adjustment and it didn't compromise the general handling of the aircraft.
Thread: Pick a Plane: shortlist
26/03/2007 23:25:00
Here's my three:
* DH Hornet
* Hawker Hurricane
* Hawker Typhoon

The Hornet because it represents the pinnacle in twin piston engined aircraft. Twin .25s could probably power a decent aeroplane (note the spelling for airplane :) A twin would be a great project. It's British too.

The Hurricane because without it we would have lost the Battle of Britain and though spits are great a Hurricane would would be a nice change. Oh, and it's British too.

The Typhoon because the chin scoop could lend itself to a nice juicy almost inverted 4 stroke. Fantistic sight, fantastic sound, fantastic flying. It's British. What more could we want?

In the interests of economy for the masses I think that a target engine size of a 46 could produce a decent aircraft and at the same time the plans wouldn't be so big to to be uneconomical to publish.
Thread: Futaba 6EXA
08/03/2007 22:12:00
Hitec make the Eclipse7 which is suitable for gliders, powered fixed wing and helicopters. Loads of options, including model naming. 7 channnels & 7 memories. TX only can be bought for about 104.00 - that's a lot of trannie for your money!
08/03/2007 21:59:00
Any info or tips regarding control surface movements or flying characteristics greatfully received.
27/03/07 - update maiden flight made, great to fly with both engines running. Rudders not very effective - anyone any experience with this?
04/03/07 New rudders have had desired effect. Photo's I upload some days ago have not appeared yet.
Thread: Seagull Pilatus PC9
08/02/2007 18:35:00
I've had two of these and know of two others. All flew much better and could be glided in for a slower landing by setting the CG back 10mm further than stated in the instructions, i.e. 90mm. My first PC9 and one other I know of crashed becuase the elevator horn sheared of at it's root so consider beefing that up. All were great to fly.
Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Cambridge Gliding Club
Pepe Aircraft
Slec
electricwingman 2017
CML
Wings & Wheels 2019
Gliders Distribution
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
New Poll - Sticky situations...
Q: How often - when using superglue - do you end up with it on your fingers?

Every time
 Occasionally
 Sometimes
 Rarely
 Never
 Wear rubber gloves

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us