By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Derek Stevenson

Here is a list of all the postings Derek Stevenson has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Car indicators
05/07/2019 10:08:05

I have an Irish friend stopped by the police for driving down the middle of the road at 70m.p.h. When stopped the policeman asked him what he was doing, my friend said according to the highway code he was entitled to do it. T he police officer asked where it said that in the highway code? He took his out booklet and pointed to the little flap where it said "tear along the dotted line."

Thread: The demise of. ASP/SC
05/07/2019 10:01:05

In our club the ic/electric mix is probably 50/50. I have ne problem with folks flying electric I just love an engine. As for me it is all part of the hobby, some like ARTF, some scratch build, some buy broken and repair, they all get satisfaction from whatever floats their boat. If I didn't have an engine I would fly electric but while engines are still available it's the way for me. They are dirty, smelly but so is a dog!

04/07/2019 09:13:50

Jon

That's a whole topic I would be interested in, living in Northern Ireland we can't get the bulk deals o fuel you can due to transport. The carrier needs a special licence to legally ship fuel so to make it economical we would need to buy 250gls (a full palette). Needless to say that is far beyond us. We used to be able to get it 50gls at a time but that is no long viable. Is methanol readily available? Can't believe nitro would be easily picked up in Northern Ireland!! Please keep us informed with your friends bio ethanol trials.

Thread: FrSky Taranis - user chat
28/05/2019 12:20:09

Barry you have been a great help to me it is truly appreciated and thanks is due. I have the original problem all sorted with you assistance.

08/05/2019 16:26:54

I have a Taranis X9D Plus and x8r receivers in a number of planes. On one of my planes I have a problem, when the alerion rate (3 position) switch is changed the alerions move! Any ideas what I've done wrong??

Thread: CAA registration consulation
29/04/2019 12:52:41

Just written to the CAA hopefully they will have 1,000's of replies although they will probably charge us for reading them?

Thread: Cyanoacrylate safety
14/04/2019 12:00:26

Three weeks later, after 2 separate doses of steroids I had to go to out of hours doctor this morning. Now on antibiotics, inhaler and another does of steroids! Hasn't been the best of a time; don't reckon I use cyanoacrylate for a while!

Thread: Hi I'm Laura
13/04/2019 10:51:40

Hi Laura

My suggestion is go to a club, you will learn a lot there from people who have years of experience. I find most radio control flyers very helpful, if they have a club trainer and offer you a flight just except it as it is a good ice breaker. Even though will you think you have made a mess of the flight the one taking you up will have experienced it all before. Most clubs will be glad to welcome new members and we understand as we had to start somewhere ourselves. Not only that but having a female member will help them in behaving themselves!

Thread: Please answer the following two questions if you can.
13/04/2019 10:43:41

I think we are all a bit like that, people kept giving me crashed plane (or maybe I was the one willing to take them home). I got bogged down and spent far too long fixing some planes that should have ben binned. Now I've decided it's better to finish one model before going on to the next job, unless it's a quick fix from something I recently damaged. I've almost finished building a mini Tyro which came to me in 2011 I think! The thing is now I have a number of planes to maiden either new or repaired instead of multiple 95% finished ones. And then there is the stuff you buy at a swapmeet that you don't need, haven't been able to sort out that problem yet!

Edited By Derek Stevenson on 13/04/2019 10:45:15

Thread: RCM&E May 2019 issue chat
13/04/2019 10:30:10

Feel left out my magazine hasn't arrived in post yet crying

Thread: Disposing of modelling goods?
05/04/2019 17:25:41

We had a club member who died last year, prior to his death and while in the hospice he requested to see a couple os us. He asked us to take all his modelling and sell it at the swap meet. His wife had nothing to do, we cleared out his shed and raised £675 for the hospice ( his requested). Anything not sold was auctioned at the end of the swap meet. Some fliers even gave donations for the hospice.

Thread: Irvine MK111 piston and liner
04/04/2019 14:41:04

Many thanks Geoff, smashed engine arrived and piston and liner removed and fitted. Now running sweetly, your kindness is much appreciated. One think I love about rc flyers I have found the vast majority very helpful.

Thread: Reworking Ultimate
30/03/2019 17:41:43

Enjoying your efforts Bobby, thanks for sharing them with us. Look forward to seeing the finished article.

Thread: Is this a genuine HOBBYWING 60 Amp, or a knock off ?
30/03/2019 14:20:11

I rarely fly electric but bought an electric racer at a recent swapmeet. All was in plane except esc, ordered one of the above and it arrived yesterday same Colin's @3A cost me £13.21 delivered.  Checked advert and was shown as 3A so no complaint.

Edited By Derek Stevenson on 30/03/2019 14:23:12

29/03/2019 19:08:46

Thanks Don for the info and advise, just ordered a bottle of deluxe super phatic should be with me next week.

Thread: Irvine MK111 piston and liner
29/03/2019 14:51:58

Happy to take you up on your kind offer Geoff. I'll try to send you a message

29/03/2019 13:15:47

Does anyone know if it is possible to obtain piston and liners for MK3 Irvine Engines at a reasonable price? I checked Just Engines and they are £38 +p&p. Ripmax are showing piston & liner sets for Mk2 40 @ £13.50 (sounds more like it to me) I wonder would they fit a MK3 40??

Some years ago I bought a piston & liner set on ebay at a good price (it was new) but only ever saw them once. Flying from tarmac I think it is easier to pick up some foreign matter?

I did have a problem in the past where I had a deep score on an Irvine piston, being a savage I carefully filled in the crack on the piston with DB weld! I reckoned the piston & liner were useless so may as well give it a try. It actually worked for a while, but not forever!

I can imagine this will entertain some forum members. I can take it!!!

29/03/2019 12:41:59

A week has passed since I first had trouble. Feeling a bit better but still having trouble, bad cough etc, I'm on an inhaler plus steroids to reduce the inflammation in my lungs and stop the wheezing. Think it's back to the pva for me!

27/03/2019 17:22:50

Can agree David, takes time to really "peak" as for the mucus membranes, mine were sore for a few days although that is now gone thankfully

27/03/2019 16:48:01

I realise this thread hasn't been used for some years but I've had a cyanoacrylate problem. Six days ago I was building a wing and used superglue to glue the ribs in. It caused me breathing problems which got worse over the weekend. Six days later and a lot of sleep lost I called at the doctor's (today) to ask for an appointment. Due to my obvious breathing problem they said if I had time to wait 45/60 minutes a doctor would see me. The doctor after examination put me on a nebuliser for a while which helped. She informed me that I've had a bad reaction to the fumes bringing on an asthma like attack and that my lungs are inflamed. Perhaps I shouldn't have waited six days before visiting the doctor but I thought it would pass. I was given advise from doctor, if I cough up any blood A&E immediately and don't use cyno again. Hopefully the drugs help. Has anyone else had a severe reaction to cyanoacrylate?

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
CML
Gliders Distribution
Wings & Wheels 2019
Pepe Aircraft
electricwingman 2017
Cambridge Gliding Club
Slec
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Do you use a throttle kill switch?
Q: This refers to electric-powered models but do you use a throttle kill switch?

Yes
 No
 Sometimes
 Rarely

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us