By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Manish Chandrayan

Here is a list of all the postings Manish Chandrayan has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Laser Engines - Technical questions
21/06/2018 14:16:59
Posted by Jon - Laser Engines on 19/06/2018 21:11:15:

Hi Manish

The old engines did have bronze valve seats but it was found they were not required. Once we hardened the valves in 92 all engines since have run their valves straight into the ali head. The type of ali we use work hardens nicely which is why we do not recommend a long cold run in process. Its very important to get the engine up to full temperature and with high rpm to make sure the valves bed in correctly

Thanks Jon. That settled the debateyes

Thread: Film covering
21/06/2018 10:09:19
Posted by Piers Bowlan on 21/06/2018 07:51:06:

Balsaloc is used for films that don't have a layer of adhesive, litespan, solite, fibrafilm (when it was available) etc. Not heard of it being used with solarfilm, Monocote etc. before.

It does help provide a better bond especially on substrates where the monokote/solarfilm etc did not bond easily or good. Like on ply or glass fiber surface.

Then it also helps put down the Chinakote coverings on ARF's that start to come off after some time. Just a thin coat under the he piece coming off, let it dry and iron it down.

Thread: Spruce or Obechi for a wing spar?
21/06/2018 03:58:36
Runny, me thinks
Thread: Film covering
20/06/2018 13:27:42

Monokote has also changed over the years. But it is still more pliable under heat (for compound curves) and glossier when compared to HK films. Never used Oracover so can't comment on that.

Solarfilm was lighter than Monokote (and also thinner) and did not tolerate any abuse with a heated iron. It would poke right through at temperature Monokote would accept. My first ever plastic covering was Solarfilm and I did end up with few holes through the covering while learning to use the film

19/06/2018 20:12:28
Question for you Jon. Over at RCG on the Laser thread, discussions have veered to whether Lasers use a bronze seat for the valves? Current opinions are that earlier engines sure had the bronze seat but this had now changed where the valves are seated in head material. This was enabled due to change in material for the head.
What would be the current position regarding use of bronze valve seats in current product. I have not yet had an occasion to open up a Laser so can't check on any of my engines
Thread: Bracing wires ....help needed please
18/06/2018 15:02:48

Even this one is Nicesmiley

16/06/2018 10:47:26
Cymaz
Question one, is that picture of your model or the full size? If it's a model I doff my hat to you.
Now coming to your question. The short acorns yo will have to be made of wood dowel and the angle will have to be either measured from the wires or eyeball it like I did for the long acorns my Tiger Moth. I did have to make few but I got them right.
Thread: Locking toggle switch
13/06/2018 16:48:25

Geoff

What was the price at which you ordered? I see it as 82.10 GBP per unit sad

Thread: Spare SC or ASP 52 two stroke crank shaft
12/06/2018 03:51:50
Steve the original pin (if I remember right) on the 52 was a pressed one
11/06/2018 19:51:56
Martin, the machine shop guy who I took the engine to scrounged around in the shop and found one that suited
Thread: Copying plans
11/06/2018 19:40:29
Ironing plans in my experience makes the paper brittle and also makes the paper shrink to some extent. I would just roll then up and let matural process work to the extent it may work.
Thread: Spare SC or ASP 52 two stroke crank shaft
11/06/2018 19:36:35
Replied to your PM Matt.
11/06/2018 18:16:04
Matt, if Dennis's prophecy hasn't yet come true, all you need to do is get a suitable size roller bearing (just one bearing from an old one of suitable size) and that can be inserted after taking out the existing broken one. Roller bearing because they are suitably hardened and well finished. I fixed two cranks that way. One is still working in the engine that saw two pins fail. One from the factory and another one in the crank I bought from Just Engines. Hope that helps
11/06/2018 16:41:10

Matt, what broke on the crank? The pin?

If it's the pin you can get a roller bearing of appropriate size inserted and it will work better than the original

Thread: Graupner
08/06/2018 10:53:13

I started off with a Sanwa 2 channel back in the 80's then till few years back was on Futaba. First 2.4 was a hand me down JR 9 channel (still using) and then I bought a Graupner MC 20.

Graupner MC is a great set but totally bogged down by the very poorly written manual. However the US Graupner dealer is quite active on one of the RC groups and help is available from fellow users and the dealer if you need it

Thread: Peterf's 1/4 scale Falcon Models Tiger Moth
28/05/2018 14:12:14

Lovely flying, watched the entire video multiple times, but each time I turned volume down to mute and imagined the music of a well tuned four stroke cheeky

Edited By Manish Chandrayan on 28/05/2018 14:12:39

Thread: Forum members' new models: Let's see them.
24/05/2018 18:13:07
Fantastic looking MiG 29 Peter.
23/05/2018 10:08:06

Thank you for taking that as a constructive criticism. I have no intention to tell you or for that matter any one else how to run the shopsmile

23/05/2018 03:03:54
Jon
I do not agree to large part of what you have reasoned. To illustrate,
Just because the engine is not in stock does not mean it's no longer there. There are plenty of examples in use or being traded by modeller, who may have a need to look up some critical dimensions. Case in point being a post preceeding few posts where some one wanted to know dimensions and I had to look up Gordon's album as I was about to acquire a 200V.
The other example, You have been nice to people emailing them dimensions and other details. But you have been telling us how pressed for time you have been. Will it not save some of your time if the ordinarily asked information was available on website?.
22/05/2018 18:37:15
I have to say this. The current setup on Laser website does not allow you to check back on dimensions or anything else for the multiple cylinder engines. Not very encouraging for a commercial enterprise.
I understand that engines are currently not in stock, that's ok. But why on Earth can't one see the engine specs? Why shut that section off?
Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Model Aircraft? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
electricwingman 2017
Expo Tools 14 July
Wings & Wheels 2018
Overlander
Slec
Gliders Distribution
Airtek Hobbies
CML
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
What is the main brand of transmitter you use? (2018)
Q: What is the main brand of transmitter you use?

FrSky
 Futaba
 Graupner
 HiTec
 Jeti
 JR
 Multiplex
 Spektrum
 Other

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues