By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Geoff S

Here is a list of all the postings Geoff S has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: BMFA kick backs/discounts for clubs
30/09/2020 14:41:51
Posted by Martin Harris on 29/09/2020 21:25:20:

Nobody gave us any grants - although I understand that the local council offered us the use of the town centre shopping arcade's top storey car park on Sundays (this was before Sunday trading of course) while the club was "between" rented sites...surprise

That sounds, on the face of it, a very dodgy (and interesting, in the Chinese sense) place to fly! Landing out could have been an experience

We're in a strange situation. We're losing our wonderful WW2 airfiled site to a massive housing estate in the next very few years and have elected to bite the bullet and move to a different site altogether a few miles away. So for a couple of years we'll have 2 sites. One advantage of the new site, which is at a farm which was once part of a big estate (in old way) so we'll have access to mains electricity and a proper, modern toilet block (getting more important as I age ). Plus it's lower and more sheltered so not so breezy. There's a lot of work in preparation though. No grants, either.

Geoff

Thread: Lap top Computers
30/09/2020 00:47:58

Because I'm at home most of the time I prefer a desk top. I have a 24" display and full size keyboard and mouse (both of which need relplacing because they're worn out). My wife has her own desk top, too. As we've never had a TV in all 53 years of our married life our PCs are all our video entertainment.

With a desk top I can easily both repair and update as required. My HD failed last year and I just replaced it - fortunately had a reasonably up to date system image file fr all my software and my data were all backed up anyway. The HD is 2 TB and I have an additional 250 MB SSD which I tend to use for back up. I aso have a standalone HD for 'real' back up.

We do have an old Dell laptop to use when we're away in the camper but it's rarely used. A laptop we bought new failed completely (can't remember the make). I eventually managed to get it apart hoping the power supply was a separate unit but alas not. The fault was a burned out surface mount chip on the motherboard so unrepairable and motherboards unobtainable.

So, unless you need a portable PC, I'd go for a desk top.

Geoff

Thread: Forum members' new models: Let's see them.
29/09/2020 20:54:41

Tosh: The detail of the build, including the power train are here.

It's on 3S 2200 mAH LiPo with a 10x6 APC prop.

Geoff

Thread: Synthesised transmitters and mobile phones
29/09/2020 10:20:27

Had the memory of the transmitter been affected? ie were the controls still set up properly for the glider?

It's certainly sensible to carry your mobile when out on the hill in a remote spot (although we managed without them for years - in my case I was often cycling miles from home incommunicado but now I feel vulnerable without my phone with me ). However it's a good idea to separate it and your transmitter as much as possible.

Are you sure the hot transmitter and the proximity to your phone are connected? Could it simply have been hot for some other reason? eg in sunlight or switched on and covered by a jacket?

Geoff

29/09/2020 10:10:09

I built this Liddle Stik from a free plan downlooaded from Aerofred earlier this year just after the lockdown had started but was able to test fly it before things got really serious (from my POV, anyway). I've not been flying for months, sadly.

In a fit of whimsy I decided to decorate it All done with a bit of a google search for images, Paint and Publisher and some clear sticky back decal paper.

complete 6.jpg

complete 8.jpg

... and a close up of the logo.

wing logo.jpg

I'll offer it as a solution to the Covid 19 pandemic, perhaps ... or perhaps not

Geoff

Thread: Multiple Photos
28/09/2020 23:30:20

You can probably do it with MS Publisher. I've produced A4 prints with several photographs on in the past so if you uploaded the file that might work but I think it will need to be a Jpeg format.

However, why bother? I've never found posts with several images to be at all distracting if you space them from the text.

Geoff

Thread: Rans S-9 Chaos. Peter Miller's new design blog
28/09/2020 14:44:08

It's in the magazine article and I suspect also on 4max's web site

PO-3541-1070 motor

APC 11 x 5.5 prop

On 3s LiPo with a 40 amp esc

Geoff

Thread: Future balsa supplies in UK
28/09/2020 12:29:57
Posted by Matt Carlton on 28/09/2020 11:40:56:

In typical 'balsa sheet' sizes as well I see.

I wonder what 1/32" obechi wing ribs would be like.

I'm assuming that it could be laser cut just as well as balsa...

I would have thought foam board might be better?

There was a period when Correx was popular. IIRC Peter designed a model which was largely Correx - can't recall the name.

Geoff

28/09/2020 11:10:30
Posted by Peter Miller on 28/09/2020 10:08:48:

Matt (an others)

Designing is easy. To start use a proven basic layout of nose length, aprox wing chord and area tail moment and CG.

This is called basic research. Then design a box from the firewall back to the trailing edge of the wing and a tapered box from there back.

After that add any cosmetic shapes you like.

THen trust what you have done and build it.

You will make mistakes but unless you actually build and fly you wil never know.

No one ever told me that it was hard so I just went ahead. Some worked, some didin't (I remember a light weight model that developed violent flutter and shook its self to bits.

Of course small control liners were cheaper and we risked less but it was the start.

I can recommend a book I have on my workshop bookshelf. It's called 'Designing Model Aircraft'. Trying to think who wrote it but ... ah yes, some unknown character called Peter Miller

Geoff

27/09/2020 23:59:09

I'm a very average builder who came into the hobby quite late if life (55) but that still means, to my great surpriise, I've been at it 25 years. All my previous hobbies have been practical so I had little difficulty in building my own trainer and even my own transmitter and receiver I do have a few ARTF models both foam and balsa but I do prefer to build my own where I can and the balsa shortage is concerning especially as shed time is being forced on us all at the moment.

I've just more or less completed a DB S&S 60" ws Sopwith Pup (are scale models ever finished? Even sport scale like mine) and because I think I may be the first to do so I had quite a lot email communication with Richard Bristow ( the current reincarnation of Boddo himself) as I struggled at the start. I know he's experiencing difficulties sourcing balsa for his wonderful kits just like everyone else. As Richard Wills writes, there are all too few kit manufacturers left and, if we wish to keep having the designs and kits available for our amusement, we need to support them. There's a certain satisfaction in flying a model you've made although I hate maidens.

I'm pretty sure none of the kit manufacturers are going to become millionaires selling to us but they deserve a decent living.

I already have a few kits in stock and I intend to add a part kit of Peter Miller's Rans Chaos as soon as Sarik have them ready. I also have a small stock of balsa for repair or modification which I hope will be sufficient.

As if a pandemic wasn't enough to bother about!

Geoff

27/09/2020 17:53:22
Posted by Doug Campbell on 26/09/2020 10:14:09:

There was the Regal Eagle by paper aviation. I am not sure of the materials but it involved some paper or carboard.

Doug

I haven't got a Regal Eagle but I have the similarly constructed Ezee Pezee from the same source. It's largely made from paper covered foam board that I think was (is?) intended for art/display use.

ezee 7.jpg

Not a very pretty model. In fact one of our members is sufficiently ungracious as to burst out laughing whenever he sees it

Perhaps increased demand for balsa will promote growers to increase the supply by creating new plantations. Moreover it's a fast growing plant and the light stuff we need is harvested early.  After all balsa is technically a hardwood.  I have a sheet that came from an unknown source (I certainly didn't select it) which is unbelievably hard and very heavy.

Geoff

Edited By Geoff S on 27/09/2020 18:09:35

26/09/2020 13:10:28

That's a beautiful model of an incredibly ugly prototype, Alan

I can see that llateral balance might be a issue but it must have been on the full size. I really can't see the thinking behind the unusual layout and what advantages it might offer that led to its design. Is that a pusher propped engine at the rear of the cockpit?

Geoff

Thread: Need to adapt this part
26/09/2020 12:28:11

Could you fashion a completely new part from epoxy sheet and attach a metal collar at the end where you need to attach a grub screw either mechanically (small piano wire pins) or using epoxy (JB Weld) or, perhaps best, a combination of both?

Geoff

Thread: Best interference free 2.4 tx under ?350?
25/09/2020 20:13:29

I think with most (all?) radio systems the cost of the transmitter is a relatively minor issue because you only but one. It's the cost of receivers if you have multitude models and choose to fit and leave a receiver in each one.

Geoff

Thread: Ofcom trace interference to a lightbulb
25/09/2020 20:05:51
Posted by Kevin Wilson on 25/09/2020 17:49:11:
Posted by Geoff S on 24/09/2020 14:56:36:
(snip)....... I think eventually houses will be wired with a 12 dc circuit for lighting with a central ac to dc regulator/rectifier and much simpler (and probably cheaper) LED bulbs with greatly extended life.

Geoff

Geoff, I work at a UK satellite TV broadcaster and wiring the buildings for DC was under passing consideration a few years back. One of my buildings is a large broadband hub and we have many DC systems at 50volt, a data centre standard evolved from GPO so I am told. Typical loading of a DC system is around 1000Amps. And that is the rub with LV DC. Low volts = big currents = big cables.
China and India are leading the way with MV DC transmission lines (yes, 1million volts) now possible by high efficiency HV semiconductor converters. hopefully they are built to a higher standard than the SMPS in domestic LED lamps.

Of course that's true if you need real power for heating etc (one reason I think our 240v mains supply is superior to the US 110v - though we had a 110 v supply at work which was rarely used). However I would think the current involved in LED lighting would be quite modest and any extra copper conductor cost would be offset by the lower energy requirements of pure LED lighting (as opposed to the current LED bulbs which need 240v ac to a low voltage dc converter in each one with the potential for EMI). In your case the energy requiremnts may well justify high voltage/low current supplies but that probably wouldn't be the case in a domestic setting.

I admit I haven't done either the maths or any research but it seems worth consideration. Vehicle lighting is also becoming more LED based. When I edited a national cycle club magazine (Tandem Club Journal) back in the late 80s I was given some LED rear lights to review (red LEDs being really the only ones generally available then) and they were brilliant both literally and figuratively. The main advantage was their reliability and low weight. The so-called Never Ready cycle lamps were notorious for intertmittent operation LED cycle lighting is now so good that motorists complain about their being too bright whereas back in the 80s the complaint was of cyclists having no lights at all.

Geoff

25/09/2020 13:09:32
Posted by J D 8 on 25/09/2020 09:54:01:

What sort of bulbs were they? If you hold a fluorescent tube under a high power cable it will glow.

When I was still at school (1953 ish) I went on a visit to the Rugby Long wave transmitter facilty with a local radio club. There was a large hall-like room where the feeds to the aerial arrays left the buildings and I was amazed to see how fluorescent tubes lit when suspended form bits of string. Very useful for maintenance I suppose.

Of course it was all thermionic valves and the big transmitter power output ones had removable glass covers so that elements that failed could be repaired, the covers replaced and the valve evacuated.

All very impressive to a 13 year old and quite impressive to an 80 year old, too

Geoff

Thread: Best interference free 2.4 tx under ?350?
25/09/2020 00:05:34

I doubt if there is a 'best'. All the main manufacturers work well and are relaible. I used a Multiplex 3030 for years on 35Mhz and used Frsky DiY modules as a first foray into 2.4gHz so when I bit the bullet I bought a Taranis and now a Horus, which I love.

It's like cars, they're all pretty reliable which, for me with no interest in family saloons other than as a home appliance, is prime consideration.

I would never criticize anyone's radio choice. I like the fleibility of OpenTX but to many it's too much bother and that's fine.

Geoff

Thread: October 2020 issue chat
24/09/2020 23:57:42

Another good issue with interesting articles. I think the editor and contributors are surviving very well and I'll certainly continue my subscription.

I've been involved with computers for most of my life one way and another and I quite enjoy on-line content but there's something about a glossy paper magazine I wouldn't want to lose. We still subscribe to a daily newspaper as well. Perhaps it's because we're old

Geoff

24/09/2020 15:06:22

The SLEC (Precedent) Funfly is a great flying model. I had a couple and I passed my A with the first.

They are quite weak in the middle because of the mid-wing design. Mine had a ST34 engine and when the model blew off my stand it fell on one wing tip. There was enough inertia in the engine weight to snap the fuselage just around the wing seat where it is weakest. Quite an easy repair and I reinforced the fuselage with carbon tow around the wing seat.

Yours looks very nice, Matt and it's a good choice to get you back in the groove.

Can't recall any CoG issues with either of mine and I originally had an Irving Q40 in the first. I replaced with the ST34 because it was a bit too much for a beginner. An electric version may have problems in that regard because the electric motor is lighter than an equivalent glow engine.

Geoff

Thread: Ofcom trace interference to a lightbulb
24/09/2020 14:56:36
Posted by Kevin Wilson on 24/09/2020 13:41:30:

As KC notes, with the increase in worldwide transport of electrical fittings ES27 lamps (and ES14) are not uncommon. Decorative light fittings are frequently ES or SES.

That's true now but back in 1950s and 60s they were almost unknown in a domestic setting. I much prefer bayonet fittings myself as they're much easier and quicker to fit.

A good point about LED light fittings which have switch mode regulators (and rectifiers) to convert 240v ac to 12v dc or whatever for the LEDs. I'm sure they could well generate all sorts of RF interference. I think eventually houses will be wired with a 12 dc circuit for lighting with a central ac to dc regulator/rectifier and much simpler (and probably cheaper) LED bulbs with greatly extended life.

Geoff

Support Our Partners
Slec
electricwingman 2017
CML
Sussex Model Centre
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
NEW POLL - has the pandemic altered your event safety perceptions?
Q: Has the covid pandemic deterred you from attending shows and events in 2021?

No, I'll be attending just as many as I usually do
 No, but I'll choose my event with greater care
 Yes, I'll attend fewer events going forward
 Yes, I wont attend any where previously I have

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!