By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Geoff Sleath

Here is a list of all the postings Geoff Sleath has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: im now an X10 owner
21/07/2018 12:59:53

Mine was supplied with a foam protection strip for the switches.

Geoff

Thread: Flair Hannibal information sought...
21/07/2018 01:39:30

Not sure about the Hannibal but the closed loops for the elevator halves on my DB Gypsy Moth are controlled by one servo with the wires fed down 4 snake outers (2 up and 2 down - the elevators halves are totally separate) from the servo to where they exit the fuselage. With your fuselage uncovered it will be easy to install suitable feeds.

The rudder closed loop is from a cross servo bar with the wires both completely outside the fuselage as the full size. The Hannibal will be different I suppose.

Geoff

Thread: TDF 2018
21/07/2018 01:31:37

I did spot the Dakota/C47/DC3 whatever (I'm sure there are differences) that lookled as if it was being re-engined (or having its engines overhauled). Eurosport (or their image suppliers) lingered on it for a while.

The anti Sky spectators seem to be taking it out on G for some reason when there isn't a scintilla of evidence that he's done anything wrong (I don't think Froome has either). The trouble is the Festina scandal followed by the huge amount of systematic doping carried out by Armstrong's team has tarred everyone with the same dirty brush. Moreover, Armstrong was a vindictive bully (probably still is at heart) whereas both Froome and (especially) G are unfailingly polite and considerate of their rivals. Plus G always has a touch of dry humour in his interviews.

Also, I wish they'd scrap those awful flares which contributed to Nibali's fall apparently. None of those lighting them can be cyclists because none of the riders want to breathe in smoke when they're already working at near maximum effort. I tend to try and hold my breath on the odd occasion when I have to ride through bonfire smoke drifting across the road.

Geoff

Thread: Geoffrey Wellum
20/07/2018 11:35:23

'First Light' is an excellent book and it's sad that its author and BoB Spitfire pilot, Geoffrey Wellum has died. We shouldn't be too sad; he had a good life and we all eventually die so we should just celebrate what he achieved.

There was a former Lancaster radio operator in our village who lied about his age to get into the RAF as young man who died a couple of years ago. Not such a glamorous career as a Spitfire pilot but they all put their lives on the line and each relied on their comrades in what was an awful war. We have a lot to thank them for.

It's true that we aren't forgotten in France. On one of our early cycle tours we taken under the wing of an elderly gent in a cafe where I suspect he'd a few grand rouges. He led us into his garden and insisted Avice collected a large bouquet which she carried for the rest of the week on her handlebar bag. He continually referred to La Guerre as David writes.

Geoff

19/07/2018 21:37:16

They actually did cause Nibali to crash. G said he had to ride over Nibali's bike's back wheel. Apparently he's been to hospital in Grenoble and has a cracked vertebra which may mean he's out of the Tour which will certainly spoil the rest of the race (to say nothing of his health).

Most of the top sprinters have abandoned because of being outside the time time limit (or so far off the back they would be if they continued) - that's Cavendish, Kittel, Greipel, Gavira, and Groenewegen. The Uran and Porte are out because of broken bones and Tony Martin because of illness. It seems a lot more than in previous Tours. Perhaps having a Roubaix stage with all the cobbles followed closely by 3 mammoth Alpine stages, (2 with mountain top finishes) is something to do with it.

The lack of so many top sprinters is going to make the so-called sprinters world championship on the Champs Elysee a bit less of a spectacle. If I were a betting man I'd back Sagan.

Still today's stage had my wife and I on the edge of our seats throughout.

Geoff

18/07/2018 23:56:13

Sorry if I was being confusing, as Chris says, you need to do the interface for backup etc. Just follow the instructions and all will be well. They are very good and extremely helpful.

Geoff

Thread: No Hosepipe Then?
18/07/2018 21:47:14

Don't worry, Percy, you can always take a bucket and dip into Thirlmere or Haweswater I suspect the water use from the Lakes reservoirs is primarily by people living south of you in greater Manchester.

I don't think we in Severn Trent have a hosepipe ban but I don't use one anyway except occasionally to fill the water tank in our campervan. The last time we had a drought you could see the remains of the village flooded when the Derwent reservoir was built.

Geoff

18/07/2018 21:40:09

I did all the Zadig interface stuff to use Companion but, to be honest, I do all my model set ups on the transmitter as I did with my Taranis and my Mutliplex 3030 before that. On the Horus it's very easy to use and it means I check it on the actual model as I'm setting up.

What I do on my PC is backups and images from photos of my models which is fun but not absolutely necessary.

Geoff

Thread: Black Fly a new Flying Car
18/07/2018 18:07:36

I suppose that web site was to make me even more unconvinced Which it certainly did.

Geoff

18/07/2018 18:03:12

Certainly a great watch.

My wife and watched the Tour over the Cormet de Roseland some years ago when we were cycle camping in Beaufort at its foot. While we were there we rode light over the HC Coldu Pre - just a short loop but I remember having to push my bottom gear (one I rarely used even when loaded with 4 panniers). Now I know why It's a beautiful area and we enjoyed revisiting it via the Eurosport Player.

No spoilers here but I assure you it's worth watching.

Geoff

Thread: Black Fly a new Flying Car
18/07/2018 00:40:05

I need some convincing that this is real. There's no problem with the control system (at least the s/w is probably no more complex than that in sophisticated quads) and of course the electric motor isn't a problem at all. The biggest problem (like electric cars) is the energy store ie the battery.

Geoff

18/07/2018 00:30:56

"I'm now an X10 owner"

You should join X10 owners anonymous and get help

Seriously, I've had one for a few months and really like it. However, I loaded OpenTX to replace the Frsky OS and, If you have no experience of either OS, I'd suggest you do the same. There's loads of help here and elsewhere including an excellent manual which I downloaded.

Geoff

Thread: What setting for charging NiMH batteries
16/07/2018 20:58:24
Posted by John Lee on 16/07/2018 09:44:03:
Posted by Martin Harris on 15/07/2018 18:20:38:

However you charge, beware of any overheating - this is the real killer of NiMHs...anything more than warm to the touch will be damaging your cells.

What evidence do you have for that?

Panasonic, the maker of Enerloop, state that a temperature rise to 50 degrees (hot to touch) is normal & is not detrimental to the battery life of 2100 cycles, see the Q&A's on the link.

My calibrated finger can only just bear 50 c for a second or two.

Geoff

Thread: Friday the 13th!
16/07/2018 20:55:07
Posted by Devcon1 on 16/07/2018 20:32:27:

Funny things these superstitions, some say cutting a cross into Brussel Sprouts is nothing to do with helping them cook but a cross to ward off evil spirits.

I'm really glad a lot of people don't like Brussels' Sprouts because it leaves more for ME - evil spirits/crosses not withstanding yes

Geoff

16/07/2018 10:22:17

When I was a lot younger I was heavily involved in a motor cycle club which, amongst other things, organised sporting trials. We had a set of numbers riders were required to carry so that the observers could mark their attempts at the various hazards - there was no number 13! In cycle road racing riders who have 13 as their number attach it upside down . In the current Tour de France Lawson Craddock is carrying the number 13 and a broken shoulder blade yet is riding on at the back of the peloton! Unlucky and courageous (especially after yesterday's stage over the notorious cobbled roads to Roubaix).

Anyway, my Friday 13th lasted until Sunday 15th! I repaired my Gypsy Moth on Saturday, made a late visit up to our site in the early evening to check all was well, got the car loaded, set the alarm for 6am, and set off for Buckminster at 6.50 am and arrived at the gate just after 8 (a very clear run of 52 miles). Unfortunately I didn't have the bag containing my wallet, phone, cheque book etc etc!!! If I'd known it was 'safe' on the kitchen worktop I'd have stayed to watch (no money for the entry fee nor proof of BMFA membership) but I was concerned it had fallen out onto the drive at home so I returned home. Not my best weekend ever

Geoff

Thread: Bullet tape argh!
15/07/2018 20:41:23
Posted by r6dan on 07/07/2018 08:37:23:

just finished a zaggi type thing and it looks gash, should still fly though

gash? Haha that's the first time I've seen or heard the expression since I worked at GEC back in the early 60s when anything not quite right was always 'gash'. Thanks for that.

btw if you want to replace tape with Solartex then you'd better hurry and get some in stock - they're not making it any more.

Geoff

Thread: Holding Your Nose
15/07/2018 20:27:39
Posted by Don Fry on 15/07/2018 19:12:11:

Geoff, you've got a cheek claiming leccy is reliable. I do both and all in all, see little difference. Just different problems.

In the interest of fairness, leccy gives me more problems on reflection.

There may be problems for the uninitiated in specifying their own electric conversions from what were intended as liquid fuelled models but once set up they're very reliable ... and of course, ARTF electric models circumvent those problems entirely.

What reliability problems have you experienced? In literally 100s of flights with electrically powered models I've experienced just a couple - an esc failure on my Lazy Bee and the supplied motor on my Phoenix 2000 failed. The only other problem I've had was also with the Lazy Bee when the belt drive toothed pulley on the geared brushed motor lost its teeth. Other than that, it's just a matter of fit a battery and fly and repeat as far as the power system goes.

I certainly had problems with success when I was struggling with NiCads and heavy brushed motors but virtually nil since the LiPo brushless revolution.

Geoff

15/07/2018 19:04:02

... and people wonder why electric power is becoming more popular.

If the difficulties and experience necessary to get a glow engine sufficiently reliable to last a complete flight without stopping are as depicted here then it's hardly surprising they're falling out of favour.

Geoff

Thread: Friday the 13th!
13/07/2018 22:28:49

I didn't even realise it was Friday 3th until I got back home so I can't put today's 'disaster' down to a self fulfilling prophecy.

I've been practising my chosen schedule for Sunday's flying only scale competition for 3 or 4 weeks and with the good weather we've been enjoying I've had maybe 50 flights with over 100 touch and goes. Taking off became a relaxed procedure. So I loaded the van this morning looking forward to a great weekend at Buckminster.

I found the place easily (though a few signs in Buckminster and Sewstern might help). I know the way from Derby to Mleton Mowbray well because my brother lives there and Buckminster is about 10 miles on along the hilly twisty B676 but not a real problem. The final approach to the BMFA site is along a very narrow but generally straight lane from Sewstern.

It's a lovely site and the buildings are well presented and maintained. The flying site itseld is very open with short grass. There are starting benches (which I don't need) and there are some useful 4 wheeled trolleys available to carry your model and ancillary kit to the pits area. The camping field is very big and quite flat. I was very impressed by the whole set up.

I arrived at about 1pm this afternoon and set up camp. It was such a lovely day I decided to have a flight while there was no pressure and no spectators to get used to the area. I taxied the Gypsy Moth out and started what I assumed would be my normal take off run when the model left the ground on what I assume was a slight bump, one wing dropped and before I knew what was happening nosed over and hit nose first. I still don't know what happened.

The result was a broken u/c mount, prop, and some damage to the cabane mount on one side. On close inspection there's something odd about the motor as well. Nothing terminally serious but at the same time nothing I could easily fix out of the workshop. So I packed everything away and came home. A pity as I was looking forward to the weekend.

Finally, to top my problems, our beloved Hilleberg Stalon GT tent which cost several 100 pounds back in 1990 has seen the end of its days when the fabric at the side of the door zip tore. I think the nylon, though of the highest quality, has suffered UV degradation and is very flimsy. We did a lot of cycle camping with that tent but in recent years it's been downgraded to model hangar when we've been away in the camper - perhaps it feels insulted

Still worse things happen at sea (and in caves). I'll spend tomorrow on repairs. The cabane, prop and u/c are easy. Not so sure about the motor but the shaft isn't bent.

Geoff

Thread: Your favourite 3 songs
13/07/2018 21:55:42

Schumann 'Widmund' (Devotion) especially sung Elizabeth Schwarzkopf will bring me to tears. It's my absolute favourite piece of music. If I have a funeral that's what the few attendees will have to suffer - it's not very long

Then really anything from Schubbert's 'Die Schone Muellerin' (The Beautiful Millermaid) for the other 2

Boring aren't I? And I never mentioned Richard Strauss' '4 Last Songs' or any Mahler.

So much to choose from.

Geoff

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Gliders Distribution
Expo Tools 14 July
CML
Slec
Airtek Hobbies
Wings & Wheels 2018
Overlander
electricwingman 2017
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
What is the main brand of transmitter you use? (2018)
Q: What is the main brand of transmitter you use?

FrSky
 Futaba
 Graupner
 HiTec
 Jeti
 JR
 Multiplex
 Spektrum
 Other

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues