By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for DCW

Here is a list of all the postings DCW has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Man on the moon. Really?
17/07/2017 11:14:47

I used to believe that most modellers were intelligent life forms... Now I'm not so sure....

May I remind you that this is an model aircraft forum and NOT for ridicuolus theorists!

Thanks

DW

Thread: Fuel question
20/06/2017 22:28:36

Hi Scott.

Can I refer you to a previous latest post, 'Caster Oil', by ChrisH. Start to finish that says it all.

Happy landings

DW

Thread: Consumer vs Retailer vs Horizon
16/06/2017 19:56:02

Hi All.

To the best of my knowledge, these are the small number of UK. HH. dealers. None of my personal favorites are here and some that I have never heard of. Looks like a 'closed shop' wink for other UK dealers.

Fast Lads Performance Ltd, Wheelspin Models, Kings Lynn Model Shop, Apex Models Ltd, TJD Models Ltd,

Slough Radio Control Models, Blade Hobbies Ltd, Midland Helicopters Ltd, Penn Models Ltd,

Model & Hobby World (Skerton), Freeprawn Racing Co. Ltd, The Modelshop (Leeds), Als Hobbies,

Gliders & Racing Models Ltd, Western Valley Models, Nexus Modelling Supplies, Pegasus Models Ltd.,

Geedee Models Ltd, M.B. Models, Totem Hobbies, Wireless Madness Ltd, Rother Valley Optics Ltd,

R & K Enterprise Ltd, DMS Racing, Motion Impossible Ltd.

Make of this what you will..

Happy landings.

DW

Thread: Castor Oil
15/06/2017 21:02:15

Well done Kim for putting us 'straight' on the use of different lubricants. I have found that it is always best to use the fuel that the engine manufacturers tell you to use and not to be sidetracked by forums. For more information try the 'Just engines' website.

Cool runs.

DW

Thread: Consumer vs Retailer vs Horizon
12/06/2017 22:51:19

Horizon Hobby Update, I received this information from one of my favorite dealers. Information that many of us are, already aware of:

Horizon Hobby closed their UK office on 31/3/17, other European offices were closed before this date. Servicing and sales are now direct from Germany, (bad news). We can, of course, order directly from HH in Germany or from a handful of UK stockists, could this be a way of controlling prices? That is probably why stocks of Spektrum products in many of our favorite model shops are now depleted. As a retailer myself, not in model equipment, I no how frustrating it can be dealing with poor service from suppliers. It is always a good idea to let the customer know what the problem is, possibly offer a refund, and stop dealing with the offending supplier.

I have been using Spektrum RC for a number years after changing from Futaba. Maybe it is now time to go back to Futaba when an upgrade is required.

DW

Thread: Classic Aerobatic Model Photo Thread
01/05/2017 21:50:14

Mick Reeves Gangster 63 original - Built 1987 - Engine Veco 60, (later changed for an OS61 FSR). Back then most of us including myself were taught aerobatics on Gangsters.Gangster 63

Thread: Irresponsible ' drone' retailers
16/04/2017 22:20:17

As with any model aircraft the irresponsible use of 'drones' can a problem. A problem in that unlike seasoned aeromodellers who would almost always have third party insurance, fly responsibly and probably belong to a model flying club or association, any member of the public can just buy one and 'go fly in the park'. As a retailer myself, I believe that it is the responsibility of the shop to ensure that the would be flyer is acquainted with the laws and rules governing model flying, recommend that the purchaser obtains third party insurance, be issued with a copy of the CAA's CAP658 publication or better still join a model club and of course sign up to 'Model Flying'.

To this end maybe all retailers who sell ARTF aircraft in whatever form above a certain weight or size should be licensed by the CAA to do so. This then would prevent irresponsible retailers who do not provide warnings and safety advice to purchasers from selling such devices.

Please check the websites, adverts and if possible check in the stores especially belonging to the larger retailers if the appropriate advice is given, a bit like a 'mystery shopper'.

It would be much appreciated if the only replies to this thread is factual information of the experiences obtained from a visit to a drone retailer either in-store or on-line.

Many thanks

David

Thread: Devil's Duster
27/03/2017 16:24:47

Devils Duster 2 de-riggedDevil's Duster 2 ready for easy transport, the original was in one piece.

Thread: KeilKraft Pixie
19/03/2017 11:41:09

Hi Cliff.

Hope this is of use to you. I have so far 'electrified' 2 KK designs, the Chief and the Halo. In both cases the wing dihedral was halved at centre section and tips to prevent so called Dutch roll, 'tail wagging'. The batteries, motor etc, doubled the weight of these aircraft but they are still good.

Here are the specs:

The Chief: Motor PKZ4416, Batt 3-cell 11.1v, Prop 10x6 folding, RX Spektrum AR500, ESC Eflight 30A, Weight 31oz

The Halo: Motor GAD C23, Batt 2-cell 7.4v, Prop 6x5.5 APC, RX Spektrum AR6110e, ESC HiModel Pro 18A, Weight 24oz, (with ballast and a lighter tailplane and fin, the Halo has a very short nose).

Both kits came from the Vintage Model Company in their original form, here is the blog on the Chief.

**LINK**

On a calm evening at the end of a flying session with the larger aircraft packed away, this is very relaxing flying, without the pressure of an expensive mishap.

PS. I had a KK Pixie **-**!!~~# years ago when I was still at school!

Look forward to seeing your Pixie at a later date.

David

kk chief electrified.jpghalo airborne.jpg

13/03/2017 14:04:45

Hi All.

The Devil's Duster 2 is now 'ARTF', seen here with it's temporary engine, (ASP61 FS). After testing trials are over and I am satisfied all is OK, the engine will be replaced with an OS FS62V with a 3 bladed 12x7, or 12x8 prop, and a cowl...

DW

Devils Duster 2

08/02/2017 22:02:04

Devil's Duster Mk. 2

Hi all

Please note that when completed this model will be available for purchase if anyone is interested.

Happy flying

DW

04/02/2017 21:34:40

Thanks Ron.

They look good to me, keep 'em' coming.

David

04/02/2017 12:18:07

For anyone interested in building the original Devil's Duster these are images of the 2 part plan. Available from Derick Scott of Model Plans, you will have to email him, the DD plan is not yet listed. www.model-plans.co.uk. Cost about £10, see earlier in the thread. DW.

Devils duster planDevils duster plan

Thread: OS Engine price variance
06/01/2017 09:02:37

I think that this thread is now time expired and time to close it off. I have been in the retail business, (photographic and optics), for nearly 20 years. We never 'slag off'' the opposition, and we do not use this type of forum to promote our products. The original reason for this thread was to get members to 'shop around' for the best deals. That is what our customers do and if possible prices are adjusted accordingly.

Just for the record the OS FS-62V will be going into the Devil's Duster 2, for the first few test flights however, I will be using a older less important engine just in case I have a problem.

I think I have a Laser engine gathering dust somewhere in the workshop which should do.....

DW

Thread: 1/5th scale Supermarine S6b
05/01/2017 17:59:14

Excellent.. Nice to see a model of such an iconic aircraft.

David

Thread: OS Engine price variance
05/01/2017 13:59:59

Thanks Guys for the info. The main I started the thread was because of price variances and to 'shop around ' on line and get the best price.

Originally I would only use OS, and had one of the original 'open rocker' OS60fs engines, but recently I bought cheaper thinking that there would be little difference. They looked the same, some were even clones of an earlier OS design. However, I had forgotten just how good OS four strokes are, particularly the new designs and the FS-62v is no exception. It is the differences of pricing between outlets, nearly £70 seemed to 'oil-up my plugs'. The lowest price I could find was £217.99 with free delivery. The highest price I could find was £284.99 + £4.60 delivery, all UK shops. I have declined from mentioning dealerships, that would not be right and I would hope that dealers will not use this thread. That would not be right either.

DW

04/01/2017 20:10:10

Recently I purchased an OS 62V four stroke engine. With it's retro design it looks too good and sounds good. Almost too good to be placed in a model, it would not be out of place in a display cabinet, where it is at the moment. Only temporarily though, when finished it will be destined for the Devil's Duster Mk.2, now nearing completion. I could not however notice the online price variance from £217.99 to a colossal £284.99! ( prices not including delivery, which is free in the first instance), Being in retail myself, (photographic not model supplies, unfortunately), I would expect, of course, to pay more from a high street shop for the extra service and advice, but £67 for an online purchase, I'm not so sure. Anyone else know of similar instances?

Happy New Year

David

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 05/01/2017 17:02:07

19/12/2016 16:40:09

Hi All.

The Devil's Duster 2, now ready for covering, (yellow of course) and final assembly. Anyone wishing to build one of these, the original DD is thoroughly recommended. Plans are available,Devils Duster 2 build see earlier in the thread.

David

14/11/2016 16:26:46

Hi All.

Devil,s Duster Mk.2 in it's three parts. Complicates things a bit but this should make it easier for transport. Perhaps we should change the name, 'Devils Duster' may be copyright.

Devils Duster Mk2 in 3 parts

03/11/2016 19:51:40

Hi Percy, Piers and all.

Change of engine for the DD Mk2. Originally I was going to use an ASP61FS from, but the price has risen from £115 to £135. This means that for a few 'dollars' more I can obtain an SC70 Mk II at £149.90. A little heavier, but the extra power is probably worth It.

David

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Gliders Distribution
Slec
Pepe Aircraft
Cambridge Gliding Club
Wings & Wheels 2019
Addlestone Models
CML
electricwingman 2017
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
New Poll - Sticky situations...
Q: How often - when using superglue - do you end up with it on your fingers?

Every time
 Occasionally
 Sometimes
 Rarely
 Never
 Wear rubber gloves

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us