By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for DCW

Here is a list of all the postings DCW has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Devil's Duster
03/11/2016 19:51:40

Hi Percy, Piers and all.

Change of engine for the DD Mk2. Originally I was going to use an ASP61FS from, but the price has risen from £115 to £135. This means that for a few 'dollars' more I can obtain an SC70 Mk II at £149.90. A little heavier, but the extra power is probably worth It.

David

16/10/2016 19:56:47

Thanks Guys.

Looks like I've stirred up a delta's nest. Ernie/Oini I love it.

David

15/10/2016 08:44:03

Hi Piers.

I have been making up the structure as I build, find a problem, think about it and carry on. I find myself spending more time than thinking than building! The power source is to be an ASP61 four stroke, at £115 it's a 'steal'. I already have one of these in my Pteranodon which weighs over 11lb and their is no shortage of power even at that weight.

Did I hear that you will be building a DD?....

Best regards

David

14/10/2016 22:49:48

Thanks Phil, thanks Percy. The original plan is available from Derick Scott of Model-Plans, I obtained my copy well after I had drawn up and started building my version. I hope that a few other guys will build one as well any feedback would be very much appreciated.

Happy landings

David

14/10/2016 21:10:26

On it's way....on its way.jpg

Thread: i wish
14/10/2016 20:59:24

Graceful flying like this is a rare event, beautiful to watch. Thanks Andy.

Thread: CONSUFESD
01/10/2016 22:21:13

Hi all.

Try this website..

**LINK**

The information they provide for each motor etc. I have found to be very accurate.

Hope this helps

David

06/09/2016 20:41:07

To Phil and all

Now for the bit in between....

now for the bit in between.jpg

27/08/2016 21:45:28

Hi Phil.

It is probably a good idea to get yourself a set of plans from Derick Scott. A look at these plans is almost certain to inspire you to want to build one. The DD although neutrally stable is easy to fly. Not a first model but a good second or third one. I will certainly post images on this thread and keep you posted on its progress. As you will see from earlier on in this thread the model I am at present building is a deviation from the original. It will be in three sections for easy transport, Which means a change in the design to accommodate wing joiners, this will mean that the model may be slightly heavier. Elevon control will be electronic via the transmitter and not a sliding servo as on the original DD plan. Power will be an ASP 61 four stroke. I now just need time to get it finished.

Watch this space, all the best. David

26/08/2016 13:29:01

Thanks John.

I will keep you and everyone else posted, I still have a lot of building ahead of me, afterwards I may even build another original DD. The structure of the original DD is quite simple, the only problem is because the wing is symmetrical some sort of jig is required. I built mine 'kebab' style with steel wing joiners through the chord line.

I wonder if Mr W. Fleming is still around?

Bye

David

26/08/2016 10:26:54

Hi All.

I have just received a beautiful plan, (2 large sheets), from Derick Scott of Model-Plans, see above, of the CAP Devils Duster. The plans are a perfect copy of the original aircraft designed by W. Fleming, cleaned up with no yellowing, well done Derick. Placing my part built wings over the DD plan, the shape is almost a perfect fit, (got that right), and the wing section is almost the same, mine is an NACA0015. That is about the only thing in common that my design has with the original, mine will be slightly larger and in 3 sections, laying the original plans on the floor it would be very difficult to get it into my car. but not impossible. If mine flies like the original did, I will have no complaints.

Happy landings

David

Thread: Model Shops
23/08/2016 20:43:34

Hi all.

I have just visited Gliders Distribution, that is the virtual tour of the shop on their 'landing' page. Must have spent half an hour looking around the shop at kits and in particular materials etc. I only wish I had a shop like that near me. Take a tour, thoroughly recommended.

Happy landings

David

22/08/2016 09:57:08

John

Thanks John I'll go to it straight away. I had all but given up on obtaining a plan for the DD, so I drew one up myself from memory. As the drawing progressed however, it has moved away from the original in that the DD was a 56inch triangle and would difficult to get in and out of a small vehicle, (back then I had a Volvo estate). I have designed it to be in three sections, i e Port and starboard wings and a centre section. I hope I have got it right, the DD plan will soon let me know.

Thanks again

David

Thread: 2012 Vintage Mass Build - What are you building?
17/07/2016 13:17:00

CAP Devils Duster.

I had the above delta in the mid eighties, now long gone. I decided to build another but have been unable to track down a plan. I am therefore resigned to draw up a plan and build one from memory... Hope I get it right!

See 'Devils Duster' in the forum.

David

15/07/2016 19:37:47

Hi John.

I've managed to contact Anglia Model Centre about CAP kits. They have most of the CAP plans, including the Vulcan, but not the Devil's Duster. Back to the drawing board I guess.

Thanks

David

10/07/2016 09:47:56

Thanks John for that tip, I have just emailed them.

David

10/07/2016 09:24:32

To KiwiKid.

Like your delta, very much. Also reminds me of a Handley Page HP115, another favorite aircraft. Pusher design that's started me thinking.

David

10/07/2016 09:18:27

Hi Piers.

Go for it...

I have reigned myself to design and build a super DD. In this case power would come from an ASP 80 fourstroke?

Some years ago I converted one of my wings to electric. This was the Pterasoarus based on a Manx Monarch but made to look like a vintage scale aircraft, fooled a few lads. It was originally powered my a vintage OS 60 with open 'rockers', down on power compared with a modern four stroke but still good.

Electric conversion consisted of: EMAX GT3526/04, EMAX 80A ESC, and a 4 cell, (14.8v) LiPo

This was down on power even compared with a Vintage OS 60. It just takes longer to get off the ground, it is after all a powered glider! I probably should have used a more powerful motor with a 5 Cell, but this would, of course, increase both weight and cost.

Perhaps a smaller DD with a 3 cell would be a good idea?

After a bit of research last night, I think the closest match for the original wing section could have been an NACA 0010. I think that that is the wing section used on an Avro Vulcan, that's good enough for me. 10 ribs per wing, but maybe the last 2 or three ribs should be NACA 0008. Also slightly larger elevons to increase the rate of roll and a better power to weight ratio to give a more vertical climb. Hope we don't spoil it.

Pterasoarus with OS 60, I will upload a 'pic' of the aircraft in it's present guise when I next get to the flying field, whenever that is......

Bye

David

pterasouarus.jpg

09/07/2016 10:27:52

All very useful info.

Incidentally if anyone has built an interesting delta, we would all love to see it.

Thanks Guys.

David

09/07/2016 09:09:04

Hi Piers.

Thanks for joining the thread.

Yes. I believe it was a Symmetrical wing section, Possibly a NACA 0015? If I cannot track down a plan I guess that I will have to design and build my own version, but it would be very frustrating after spending hours drawing up and building only to find that my design doesn't quite fly the same or perhaps I am just being lazy?

As to the CofG, originally it was well forward and on the first few flights elevator control was poor and the elevons had to have plenty of 'up' trim. It also it flew fast and was not particularly pleasant to fly. I then put ballast aft which brought the CofG into a much better position and never looked back.

I think that the elevons provided the reflex, mine could be trimmed to fly 'hands off'' when inverted.

I hope that the action man on Bob Fletcher's version had a parachute. I think a parachuting action man was part of the show. Might just try that myself!

The size looks about right, (56 inch span).

David

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
CML
Sussex Model Centre
Wings & Wheels 2019
CADMA
electricwingman 2017
Cambridge Gliding Club
Slec
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Do you use a throttle kill switch?
Q: This refers to electric-powered models but do you use a throttle kill switch?

Yes
 No
 Sometimes
 Rarely

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us