By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for DCW

Here is a list of all the postings DCW has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Devil's Duster
08/07/2016 22:12:07

Thanks John.

That is one of the 'coolest' pics I have yet seen on the forum. Is that you holding back the Duster, there seems to be quite an audience in the background. I find deltas and flying wings quite fascinating and the DD was very much a favorite of mine. That's why I am looking to build another, assuming the plans are still available.

Thanks again

David

08/07/2016 18:48:18

Red Dusterimg_0009.jpg

02/07/2016 11:24:55

Hi Percy.

Yes you are quite right, they were spectacular both to fly and to watch. I believe that mine was one of a trio flown at model shows in formation. The story goes that one 'pealed off' out of control and one of the pilots said 'your aircraft is gone out of control, Oops it's mine'. Whether there is any truth in that story, who knows...

Mine was initially powered by an Irvine 61, later an OS 61. Today I guess I would use a 61 or 70 four stroke to try to keep the noise down, with a tuned pipe it could be heard a mile or so away. The only problem was from 'ground effect' when landing on tarmac. It would float on it's cushion of air long after the elevons had become ineffective. To cure this I would take of on the runway and land on the grass. Being heavily involved with flying wings this is a common problem I have found when landing on a hard surface.

David

01/07/2016 18:33:09

Thanks guys, your comments and advice are very much appreciated. I will continue my search will all of your recommendations. If anyone has built a similar machine I would love to see it.

Keep flying, regards.

David

30/06/2016 22:10:39

complete a pac.jpgdevils duster profile.jpgHi all.

Some years ago we had an excellent 'one stop' model shop in the Wiltshire town of Warminster. It was called Hobbies and it was run by a well known and distinguished modeller, no name dropping.. he may well read this. Hung up in the ceiling was a CAP Devils Duster, it had been there for some time with no takers. I took pity on it, made on offer for it which was duly accepted.

After dusting it off, I fitted new radio gear and an 60 2/stroke. To my amazement it handled and responded beautifully, neutrally stable but still easy to fly. Under power I could fly it at very high angles of attack without stalling and in a light wind landing was almost walking speed. Loops slow rolls etc. could be performed with ease.

Stupid like, I sold it, together with the plan a few years ago. Has anyone else had experience with this 'beast' ? Better still does anyone know where a plan could be obtained?

Happy landings

Davidcap devils duster.jpg

Thread: Urgent and important petition - Please sign
30/08/2015 13:36:53

Now 6207

To Andy.

Have you contacted the LMA?

Good luck

DW

Thread: If your partner was an aeroplane 2
28/08/2015 21:32:02

smileyThis is one of the best threads yet! Let's hope the ladies don't see it...

My wife would be a Brequet 905 Fauvette. I was fortunate enough to have a half share in a 1/1 size version. With it's dolphin shaped fuselage, tapering wings, elegant 'V' tail and original color scheme, it just seemed to solicit for attention.

The first time I flew it with it's sensitive controls, it scared the pants of me and at first I didn't go very far with it, but once I got to know it there was no holding me back. I didn't want to fly anything else...

DW

Thread: Drone Near Miss.
27/07/2015 18:02:24

Copied from my thread of 9th July....

I don’t like to use the word ‘drone’ I prefer UAV or Multi-rotor, but it looks like we are stuck with it. So I will follow everyone else and call them drones. The first 'drone ' I ever saw was in 1961, the XT581 used by the British Army, check it out. I quite like these machines, or for that matter any form of model flying. My concern is however, that these aircraft are not just being sold by our favourite model shops, with all of the help, advice and safety recommendations that usually follow. That is...

Why not join a club and get help learning to fly your new machine.

Get yourself insured by joining an organisation BMFA, LMA, BARCS etc.

Don’t fly in built-up areas or on private land without permission. And so on.

Maybe these RC aircraft are being sold by the wrong people, to the wrong people. My first reaction is ‘not my problem’, on second thoughts though, well, maybe it is. Particularly if local authorities start to bring in restrictions or maybe refuse planning permission for new clubs etc. We are after all ‘Judged by our worst’. I wonder just how many of these non-model shops are responsible enough to give the above advice. How about a few of us becoming ‘secret shoppers’ and reporting the results back to this thread? Any ideas? DW

Thread: Drones... The dark side
09/07/2015 22:15:38

I don’t like to use the word ‘drone’ I prefer UAV or Multi-rotor, but it looks like we are stuck with it. So I will follow everyone else and call them drones. I quite like these machines, or for that matter any form of model flying. My concern is however, that these aircraft are not just being sold by our favourite model shops, with all of the help, advice and safety recommendations that usually follow. That is...

Why not join a club and get help learning to fly your new machine.

Get yourself insured by joining an organisation BMFA, LMA, BARCS etc.

Don’t fly in built-up areas or on private land without permission. And so on.

Maybe these RC aircraft are being sold by the wrong people, to the wrong people. My first reaction is ‘not my problem’, on second thoughts though, well, maybe it is. Particularly if local authorities start to bring in restrictions or maybe refuse planning permission for new clubs etc. We are after all ‘Judged by our worst’. I wonder just how many of these non-model shops are responsible enough to give the above advice. How about a few of us becoming ‘secret shoppers’ and reporting the results back to this thread? Any ideas? DW

Thread: Ideas for new polls
09/01/2015 19:38:29

Hi All.

Why not have a follow-up on the latest poll, (i. c. or electric).

That is, for models 7lb. and over. I have found that when I electrify this type of model both costs and weight escalate, not to mention the shorter duration. Below that weight, unless you require constant full power, it does not seem to be so much of a problem.

DW

Thread: July 2012 issue feedback
05/06/2012 16:57:37

Browsing the pages of the July 12 issue of RCME I read the ‘Top letter’ and was very disappointed that such a letter would even be included in the magazine let alone be given the title of Top Letter. I do not believe that this have happened to RCM&E a few years ago.

Not long ago to buy a ready made model you would have had your ‘leg pulled’ something rotten, (in the nicest possible way) and been called a ‘cheque book modeller’. We have all at some time or another purchased a model built by someone else, I even produced a limited run part built kit myself to get people started, but ARTF aircraft were purchased ‘as well as’ and not ‘instead of’. In one club that I belonged to a Falcon Sunbeam trainer was re-sold at least four times before meeting it’s demise.

Unfortunately, in recent years many model flying magazines, not so much RCME, look more like the pages of a ‘Toys R us’ catalogue.

Fortunately July RCME redeemed itself by Alex Whittaker’s article ‘Behind the wire’. The models were nothing short of stunning. Also ‘Crossing the divide’ with a ¼ scale reconnaissance Spitfire, scary but brilliant. I have yet to study AW’s article. I have read ‘snippets’ of it and liked the end bit ‘No change’, the truth sometimes hurts!

With respect to ARTF models, it may not be a bad idea to look at Model Flying’s own polls:

Q: Are you presently or will you soon be building a traditional kit or plan model?

Q: How many ultra micro models do you own?

Q: Are you a trad' balsa man or have you embraced the foamie revolution, what % of your fleet are foam models?

Are ARTFs a good thing or a bad thing? A new poll maybe?

DW

Thread: ic days may be passing?
05/06/2012 16:18:58

To Paul Marsh.

I think your video sums the whole thing up. Imagine replacing that Pegasus with an electric motor, Yuk! I fly electric as well as IC, but model engines with or without the aircraft is a hobby in itself.

Thanks Paul

DW

Thread: Build Log for Krick Grunau Baby IIb (1/4 scale)
02/05/2012 20:14:26

Grunau 2b BGA578

Hi Martyn.

How about this for a colour scheme? This Grunau was built in 1948 by the Hawkeridge Aircraft Company in Dunstable for the London Gliding Club. Pictured here in 1968 at Keevil, (sorry about the marks on the colour slide). Should you wish for further details please contact me.

The build is looking good, best regards

David.

Thread: How do you hold those Tx sticks?
10/04/2012 20:18:34

Hi. All.

When hand launching I have my thumb on the right hand stick, (Aileron/elevator), and use my nose to open the throttle Bet there can't be many that do that.............. Is there?

Keep em flying.

David W

Thread: Ask 18 1/4 scale glider from Cliff Charlesworth plans
31/03/2012 08:43:09

Hi.

Some time ago I had problems when I started building 1/4 scale, I did not know where to start. It was Cliff who put me right with his book.

Scale Model Gliders by Cliff Charlsworth. £14.95 from Traplet Publications.

Hope this is of use, I look forward to seeing the finished model.

Happy flying

David

Thread: Airtek hobbies
24/03/2012 18:48:20

Thanks guys.

I'll give them a call.

23/03/2012 22:19:22

This particular supplier, who advertise with us, seem to be perpetually out of stock of certain Skectrum & Hitec products. For example they advertise Hitec HS-65MG servos at £11.95, (required for my latest project), this is a very good price. I have tried to contact them about this but never received a reply. Pity it looks to be a very good shop.

Has anyone ever purchased HS-65MG servos from them?

Regards

David

Thread: Happenings
05/03/2012 10:24:26

Hi Chrisie.

Unfortunately there is no sign of anyone taking this shop on. I am heavily involved in photographic retailing to even contemplate such a venture. It is a nice thought though.

TTFN

David

05/03/2012 08:21:34

The Modellers Den November 2011 from above.

The shop from above. The missing upper floors were as a result of 2nd World War bomb damage.

04/03/2012 22:41:05

Hi All. I have started this forum thread and album, open to all and called it simply 'Happenings'. It is for things happening in 'our world' that you think that we should all know about and see. It may be an interesting happening in one of our clubs, maybe something humorous or a strange model in our skies, whatever. I have started the album off on a sad note, that is the demise of a long standing model shop, 'The Modeller's Den' in the City of Bath. I can remember visiting this model shop at the age of about nine with ten shillings, (50p), in my pocket and thinking that I could buy the entire shop! It was from this shop that most of us obtained some of our first flying models from manufacturers such as Keil Kraft, Veron, Mercury etc. In recent years however, The Modeller's Den concentrated more on plastic kits, model railways, cars and a few ARTF aircraft. It was still nice however, to visit this shop and have a chat with the friendly guys who worked there.

David.

Happenings

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
CADMA
CML
Sussex Model Centre
Wings & Wheels 2019
electricwingman 2017
Cambridge Gliding Club
Slec
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Do you use a throttle kill switch?
Q: This refers to electric-powered models but do you use a throttle kill switch?

Yes
 No
 Sometimes
 Rarely

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us