By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for DCW

Here is a list of all the postings DCW has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: ic days may be passing?
05/06/2012 16:18:58

To Paul Marsh.

I think your video sums the whole thing up. Imagine replacing that Pegasus with an electric motor, Yuk! I fly electric as well as IC, but model engines with or without the aircraft is a hobby in itself.

Thanks Paul

DW

Thread: Build Log for Krick Grunau Baby IIb (1/4 scale)
02/05/2012 20:14:26

Grunau 2b BGA578

Hi Martyn.

How about this for a colour scheme? This Grunau was built in 1948 by the Hawkeridge Aircraft Company in Dunstable for the London Gliding Club. Pictured here in 1968 at Keevil, (sorry about the marks on the colour slide). Should you wish for further details please contact me.

The build is looking good, best regards

David.

Thread: How do you hold those Tx sticks?
10/04/2012 20:18:34

Hi. All.

When hand launching I have my thumb on the right hand stick, (Aileron/elevator), and use my nose to open the throttle Bet there can't be many that do that.............. Is there?

Keep em flying.

David W

Thread: Ask 18 1/4 scale glider from Cliff Charlesworth plans
31/03/2012 08:43:09

Hi.

Some time ago I had problems when I started building 1/4 scale, I did not know where to start. It was Cliff who put me right with his book.

Scale Model Gliders by Cliff Charlsworth. £14.95 from Traplet Publications.

Hope this is of use, I look forward to seeing the finished model.

Happy flying

David

Thread: Airtek hobbies
24/03/2012 18:48:20

Thanks guys.

I'll give them a call.

23/03/2012 22:19:22

This particular supplier, who advertise with us, seem to be perpetually out of stock of certain Skectrum & Hitec products. For example they advertise Hitec HS-65MG servos at £11.95, (required for my latest project), this is a very good price. I have tried to contact them about this but never received a reply. Pity it looks to be a very good shop.

Has anyone ever purchased HS-65MG servos from them?

Regards

David

Thread: Happenings
05/03/2012 10:24:26

Hi Chrisie.

Unfortunately there is no sign of anyone taking this shop on. I am heavily involved in photographic retailing to even contemplate such a venture. It is a nice thought though.

TTFN

David

05/03/2012 08:21:34

The Modellers Den November 2011 from above.

The shop from above. The missing upper floors were as a result of 2nd World War bomb damage.

04/03/2012 22:41:05

Hi All. I have started this forum thread and album, open to all and called it simply 'Happenings'. It is for things happening in 'our world' that you think that we should all know about and see. It may be an interesting happening in one of our clubs, maybe something humorous or a strange model in our skies, whatever. I have started the album off on a sad note, that is the demise of a long standing model shop, 'The Modeller's Den' in the City of Bath. I can remember visiting this model shop at the age of about nine with ten shillings, (50p), in my pocket and thinking that I could buy the entire shop! It was from this shop that most of us obtained some of our first flying models from manufacturers such as Keil Kraft, Veron, Mercury etc. In recent years however, The Modeller's Den concentrated more on plastic kits, model railways, cars and a few ARTF aircraft. It was still nice however, to visit this shop and have a chat with the friendly guys who worked there.

David.

Happenings

Thread: Club Bans 35 MHz
15/12/2011 21:53:13
Oh dear!.. Clubs, Committees, BMFA, self opinionated modellers etc. etc. Who needs them?

Get yourself some private insurance, some good friends, private land with a friendly landlord and go fly.

I did this some years ago and have NEVER looked back.

TTFN

DW
Thread: Slope Combat
03/09/2011 21:17:15
Too much guesswork and assumptions......... Why not go on the CAA website and get a copy of the main points of the ANO. Just don't try combat on National Trust property or any other public place.

DW
02/09/2011 22:18:10

There are no 'grey areas' with the Air navigation Order, it refers to ALL aircraft manned or un-manned. There is no doubt that so called slope combat is a breach of the of this order.

Consider this: what would happen if debris from one of these aircraft, say a battery or something hit and killed someone. We all have seen the speed that falling objects can reach and have probably dug up embeded items from the ground......

Further information: CAP 658, article 74.

DW

Thread: Matt Polyester
28/08/2011 20:50:21
Thanks Allan, just what I thought. I think I'll continue to use Solartex.
26/08/2011 22:12:46
Hi.

Has anyone ever used this covering film?, if so 'Any good?'.
It may be a substitute for solartex on smaller models. However few shops stock it, although it can be obtained direct from solarfilm at £11.75 for a 2mtr. roll.

PS . Take a look at the Solarfilm website, it's pretty 'cool'.

David

Thread: A National Aeromodelling Centre
15/08/2011 08:28:15
BMFA Surplus or break even?

Hi David.

Perhaps a check with 'Companies House' might give you the answer.

Best regards
David W
14/08/2011 21:26:56
What an excellent idea, but…

It would need to be independent of any modelling organisation, e.g. BMFA, LMA etc.
Especially the BMFA! It would need to be run and administered by mainly volunteers
and not just providing 'jobs for the boys' at our expense. Funding, as it has already been said, could come from the National Lottery. Better still from model businesses and model magazines who, in return could have advertising and possibly a small presence on the site.

DW

Thread: SC 70fs idle trouble
06/07/2011 19:16:46

Hi John.
I am pleased that every thing has turned out OK. I use OS 'F' type plugs.. they last for years. I have many old engines including an original OS 61 four stroke with open rockers. It has had many hours flying time and has been used on several models. It is now over 30 years old! and still starts and runs beautifully. Careful maintenence has ensured this. Without that 'TLC' our engines would soon fail and have to be replaced.

Happy landings

David.

17/06/2011 19:58:28
Hi. Jon.

I have an ASP 61 four stroke that seems to have the same symptoms. i.e. will not idle and additional turns on the needle valve are needed to make it run, this would normally be a very rich setting.
I think i have found the answer, in that when I went to prime the engine to hand start it. I noticed that fuel was leaking out from the inlet manifold where it is connected to the carb.
I have ordered a new inlet manifold 'O' ring from Just Engines hoping this will cure it.

Regards
David

Thread: R-C.co.uk
04/09/2010 09:18:07
Hi All.

First  order received, good service and at a very competitive price.

TTFN
David
25/08/2010 15:56:03
Hi.

Sorted, order placed.

David.
Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
CML
Sussex Model Centre
electricwingman 2017
Slec
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
NEW POLL - has the pandemic altered your event safety perceptions?
Q: Has the covid pandemic deterred you from attending shows and events in 2021?

No, I'll be attending just as many as I usually do
 No, but I'll choose my event with greater care
 Yes, I'll attend fewer events going forward
 Yes, I wont attend any where previously I have

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!