By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Old Geezer

Here is a list of all the postings Old Geezer has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Complete newbie in Devon
25/01/2020 10:03:15

Carl - do try the Blackdown Hills club - lovely bunch of blokes and probably the most beginner-friendly venue you could find ( hard to hit a tree or a hedge in the middle of an old WW2 airfield ). Oh, and it's where I caught the RC flying bug in the early 70s too.

Thread: Apprentice Tail Question?
24/01/2020 23:20:03

Nay Lad, just careful wit' mi brass.

( Ever heard the description: Asset rich and cash poor? )

24/01/2020 19:29:36

Have you considered Stabilit Express? - sticks pretty well anything to anything else. First used it years and years ago to glue ply formers and servo trays into a plastic Robbe sailplane fuselage - bit of a palaver mixing it up ( and smells vile! ) but once it's gone off they were there for good.

Thread: Slope soaring sites near a camping site - help pleasee
06/01/2020 00:50:06

Leave your coat on the peg i2' - concise and to the point - I agree 100%.

I'm getting bored with all this harrumphing from a small but vocal minority of the parishioners who seem to have found a new "Ishoo" to feed their paranoia. (I'll bet they're fun at Club or worse still at Parish Council Meetings!).

Let's all just put a brave face on it, register, pay the money and get back to building and flying ( and repairing ) our toys. Oh, and a quick ThankYou to the BMFA while we're on the subject.

05/01/2020 23:33:14

That's awful! Someone must have really upset the owner of the land to provoke such behaviour. You can only assume that either a sloper or hang glider pilot got into shouting match with said farmer and he decided to make the site impossible to launch from or land on. From your description he must have been mightily p'd off - trust me, fence posts aren't cheap and they're hard work to bang into the ground too unless you have a tractor mounted "fencing post banger-inner".

Final thought: alternatively the land owner might be concerned with his vicarious liability if someone's glider, flown there previously with and now without his permission, brained a passing member of the GBP (Great British Public!). Though my money is on the first scenario.

Thread: The Gov't, CAA, BMFA & UAV legislation thread
02/01/2020 07:57:55

Which I suppose confirms the necessity for the legislation AND confirms our suspicions that the there is an entirely different mind set to be found in a self-promoting minority of drone flyers. Hopefully the "Authorities" will take the time and trouble to identify such antisocial individuals and in the fullness of time visit condign punishment on them - if for no other reason than "Pour encourager Les Autres"!

I don't want to try to teach the BMFA P/R dept. their job, but whenever such activities of the droners come to light, and particularly to court, there is an open goal for a press release to be fired off contrasting the safe and legal behaviour of the generality of model plane flyers over so many years and the antisocial behaviour of a minority of droners which resulted in the restrictions that have been visited on the godly and the ungodly together!

Edited By Old Geezer on 02/01/2020 08:00:02

Thread: Lost mojo
01/01/2020 02:20:03

Fly Boy - there aren't words that will console you to your loss - you need time, time on your own to reflect, time to grieve, time to remember and smile. Walking helps, truly it does. Then, eventually you will feel you need to get that plane covered, it is unfortunate that at the moment the covering job and your late wife's association with the task are so intimately associated - but one day when your feelings aren't so raw - do it for her.

It has been suggested to me that the concentration that both the tasks of building and flying ( and covering ) require a considerable amount of concentration, to the extent that there is very little room in your head for extraneous thoughts - which is what some folk would describe as a form of mindfulness - and that can only be helpful.

Thread: Hobbyking
30/12/2019 08:42:15

Ron - you're right, snuck onto Mrs OG's iPad Mini while she was out with her horses. Lo and Behold - there was Hobbyking UK. The site isn't as user friendly as it once was, but at least I can search it now when SWMBO's off the premises - choice presently has to be between a couple of el cheapo foam board jobbies or a RadJet for near enough the same money ( had both before - both are huge fun for not much money ).

28/12/2019 22:26:23

Has anyone else experienced an incompatibility between the Hobbyking UK website and their iPad?

I can get to the website, but as soon as I try to search for anything, anything at all, and all I get is that bloomin' rotating sunflower thing - wait as long as your patience will allow ( 5 min's plus is my best ) and that's it!!!

Looks like the nearest I'm going to get to Hobbyking is Rapid RC Models - very frustrating.

Thread: C.A.A Reg number ,inside or outside ????
28/12/2019 08:31:20

J.M.'s simple solution for me - I guess most of us on the site will have a printer, and the few who don't will have friends/acquaintances with one. So, cheap as chips too. Holding my breath as I wait for an avalanche of reasons as to why it's not a viable option.

Thread: I need glue !!
24/12/2019 01:01:24

All the above, just take your reading glasses with you, some have relatively short hardening times and some are a bit specific about working temperatures - so you need to know what you're buying. e.g. "30 minute" for firewalls and u/c mounts.

Thread: Orchestra on your patch
20/12/2019 07:43:20

A perfect accompaniment to soaring: the opening of the concert version of Shine on You Crazy Diamond. Especially the opening synth' and then the repeated four note motif which always brings to mind circling, soaring sailplane's and or birds.

18/12/2019 07:58:25

I was going for "Learning to Fly", only by Pink Floyd, but as Glyn's got that one - what about "The Great Gig in the Sky" , also a Floyd number. The only problem I can see is who's wife/girlfriend is available to sing that amazing, soaring soprano part?

Thread: Not a new newbie
09/12/2019 23:54:14

Welcome Mark - another vote for a 4 cell NiMH - ideally go for Eneloops as they have a very very slow self discharge which means that if you remember to re charge your battery when you get back from the field you don't need to charge your battery the night before you go flying ( fit 'em in your transmitter too - bit of a luxury but well worth the additional expense ).

If you look at a previous thread about receiver batteries for an I/C trainer there're several pages of discussion and disputation there for you to work your way through - however it's mostly in the infra red part of the spectrum ie "More Heat Than Light".

Thread: what type of battery pack for i/c engine trainer
06/12/2019 23:34:12

I think we're all going OTT - it's bloomin' 2nd hand trainer! I refer everyone to my reply on the first page, i.e. KISS. All I would add is: after every session, once the airframe has been cleaned of exhaust residue and mud, and thoroughly checked for physical damage, hinges and linkages etc. all OK, instead of putting it away. put it on to charge overnight - that way, unless you've inadverantly knocked the on/off switch on! - as you're using Eneloops there's no need to remember to charge everything the night before your next session. An on-load battery checker just to re-assure you that you're good to go before each flight. Finally, as before, a new Rx battery switch - I prefer the simplest, which demands access to the fuselage interior to connect it to the charger - so at the same time you're reassured that your pride and joy's innards are still where you expected them to be.

So - 4S 2000 Eneloop + New Rx Battery Switch + On-Load Battery Voltage Checker - - - Simples (& less than £40).

Thread: Radio Queen ailerons
02/12/2019 17:59:29

I'm with k.c. And The Captain - having had my own Radio Queen all I can add is that you don't over power the old lady - mine had an old open rocker OS40 four stroke - perfect for whiffling round the field just sipping fuel. Best of all, on a calm afternoon/evening flying low, slow and close in - unbeatable.

Oh - and she managed to fly across The English Channel on a ED Hunter - diesel, electrics supplied by an accumulator!  (Some say using a Taplin Twin.)

Edited By Old Geezer on 02/12/2019 18:10:04

Thread: what type of battery pack for i/c engine trainer
01/12/2019 23:29:18

I tend to follow the KISS principle - in other words, avoid the LiFe batteries & diodes for now, so get a 4s 2000 Eneloop Rx battery - if there's a switch harness already fitted in the airframe, take it out and replace it! Contacts corrode, wires & insulation crack etc.etc.. Whilst you're in a buying frame of mind, an Rx battery checker - which will tell you whether the Rx battery voltage under load is adequate, and use it before each and every flight.

Thread: Is it Just my impession?
30/11/2019 19:25:02

Erf' - did'st thou not read the final paragraph concerning silliness and financial responsibility?

( Sighs, puts down quill, scatters sand upon parchment, blows out candle and retires to hostelry for refreshment. )

30/11/2019 09:41:50

Referring to our spend on our hobby/hobbies as an investment does actually make sense. You make an investment in the hope/expectation that you get out more than you put in. In our case the quiet enjoyment over ( sometimes many ) hours of building the plane, then there is that feeling you get when you look at it and think: "I built that". Finally, there is a special buzz you get when flying something YOU built yourself, in a way, there's a little bit of you up there. ( True - there are traces of your DNA on every bit you handled and glued or screwed to another bit! ).

Psychologists and Endocrinologists will explain the gut feelings that building, flying and to some extent ownership of our planes relate to Serotonin release ( that Hmmmmmm feeling of satisfaction you experience on your way home from the field ), and also the concentration that building ( and flying ) demands, that enable you to step away from life's worries for a while - I think it's sometimes referred to as mindfulness, is hugely beneficial. Fishermen are doing the same, tying a fly, watching a float, casting a line - the concentration required to do it right, like building and flying shuts out all your worries.

So - yes, when you do the sums, unless you're really silly or financially irresponsible, the cost/benefit of our hobby can be regarded as a profitable investment.

Thread: CAA or BMFA test to comply with OP & FLY ID
25/11/2019 07:31:49

Well put Andy - If we don't hang together we're more likely to be hung separately - -

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
electricwingman 2017
Slec
CML
Cambridge Gliding Club
Wings & Wheels 2019
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Do you use a throttle kill switch?
Q: This refers to electric-powered models but do you use a throttle kill switch?

Yes
 No
 Sometimes
 Rarely

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us