By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Old Geezer

Here is a list of all the postings Old Geezer has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Not a new newbie
09/12/2019 23:54:14

Welcome Mark - another vote for a 4 cell NiMH - ideally go for Eneloops as they have a very very slow self discharge which means that if you remember to re charge your battery when you get back from the field you don't need to charge your battery the night before you go flying ( fit 'em in your transmitter too - bit of a luxury but well worth the additional expense ).

If you look at a previous thread about receiver batteries for an I/C trainer there're several pages of discussion and disputation there for you to work your way through - however it's mostly in the infra red part of the spectrum ie "More Heat Than Light".

Thread: what type of battery pack for i/c engine trainer
06/12/2019 23:34:12

I think we're all going OTT - it's bloomin' 2nd hand trainer! I refer everyone to my reply on the first page, i.e. KISS. All I would add is: after every session, once the airframe has been cleaned of exhaust residue and mud, and thoroughly checked for physical damage, hinges and linkages etc. all OK, instead of putting it away. put it on to charge overnight - that way, unless you've inadverantly knocked the on/off switch on! - as you're using Eneloops there's no need to remember to charge everything the night before your next session. An on-load battery checker just to re-assure you that you're good to go before each flight. Finally, as before, a new Rx battery switch - I prefer the simplest, which demands access to the fuselage interior to connect it to the charger - so at the same time you're reassured that your pride and joy's innards are still where you expected them to be.

So - 4S 2000 Eneloop + New Rx Battery Switch + On-Load Battery Voltage Checker - - - Simples (& less than £40).

Thread: Radio Queen ailerons
02/12/2019 17:59:29

I'm with k.c. And The Captain - having had my own Radio Queen all I can add is that you don't over power the old lady - mine had an old open rocker OS40 four stroke - perfect for whiffling round the field just sipping fuel. Best of all, on a calm afternoon/evening flying low, slow and close in - unbeatable.

Oh - and she managed to fly across The English Channel on a ED Hunter - diesel, electrics supplied by an accumulator!  (Some say using a Taplin Twin.)

Edited By Old Geezer on 02/12/2019 18:10:04

Thread: what type of battery pack for i/c engine trainer
01/12/2019 23:29:18

I tend to follow the KISS principle - in other words, avoid the LiFe batteries & diodes for now, so get a 4s 2000 Eneloop Rx battery - if there's a switch harness already fitted in the airframe, take it out and replace it! Contacts corrode, wires & insulation crack etc.etc.. Whilst you're in a buying frame of mind, an Rx battery checker - which will tell you whether the Rx battery voltage under load is adequate, and use it before each and every flight.

Thread: Is it Just my impession?
30/11/2019 19:25:02

Erf' - did'st thou not read the final paragraph concerning silliness and financial responsibility?

( Sighs, puts down quill, scatters sand upon parchment, blows out candle and retires to hostelry for refreshment. )

30/11/2019 09:41:50

Referring to our spend on our hobby/hobbies as an investment does actually make sense. You make an investment in the hope/expectation that you get out more than you put in. In our case the quiet enjoyment over ( sometimes many ) hours of building the plane, then there is that feeling you get when you look at it and think: "I built that". Finally, there is a special buzz you get when flying something YOU built yourself, in a way, there's a little bit of you up there. ( True - there are traces of your DNA on every bit you handled and glued or screwed to another bit! ).

Psychologists and Endocrinologists will explain the gut feelings that building, flying and to some extent ownership of our planes relate to Serotonin release ( that Hmmmmmm feeling of satisfaction you experience on your way home from the field ), and also the concentration that building ( and flying ) demands, that enable you to step away from life's worries for a while - I think it's sometimes referred to as mindfulness, is hugely beneficial. Fishermen are doing the same, tying a fly, watching a float, casting a line - the concentration required to do it right, like building and flying shuts out all your worries.

So - yes, when you do the sums, unless you're really silly or financially irresponsible, the cost/benefit of our hobby can be regarded as a profitable investment.

Thread: CAA or BMFA test to comply with OP & FLY ID
25/11/2019 07:31:49

Well put Andy - If we don't hang together we're more likely to be hung separately - -

Thread: Bowmans simple stuntman
21/11/2019 18:47:04

Following that link took me back - memories of my fantastic little Spatman - with a 20 on the front it brought out the "Three Function Hooligan" in anyone holding the blue folded metal case of my World Engines Tx (built with TLC by Mick Wilshire 🙂).  Went like poo off a warm digging implement. 😎                                                                                                                                         Shame we've lost these ( and many other manufacturers' ) tough old trad' British kits.

Edited By Old Geezer on 21/11/2019 18:52:20

Thread: Mick Reeves Gangster 63 Lite
16/11/2019 00:21:09

Well, Bless my Soul! Why didn't I think of that.

Thanks for that Kim - I'll just do that thing, there's certainly no harm in asking. Then unless it's silly money I'll have to start looking on eBay for an inexpensive (there's no such thing as cheap these days) old two stroke 60 to pop on the front.

15/11/2019 16:07:39

My first low winger was a Gangster 63, with a smokey old Meteor 60 on the front, she was a real lady. On advice from the proprietor of our much missed LMS I didn't fit a steerable nose wheel, a blip of throttle would kick the tail round and as soon as she was moving the rudder kept her pointing in roughly the right direction until there was daylight under the wheels. Shame though, easy to build trad' kits are so rarely on the menu now, I'm sure original Gangster 52 & 63 kits would still sell well, and they were so much tougher than these CNC plywood airframes we're stuck with these days - one rough landing can often result in the portion of the fuselage supporting the U/C requiring a major reconstruction (a 3D jigsaw or bodge depending on your talents). Or scrapping it altogether.

Couldn't Peter Miller design us a 40 sized slab sided (no stringers!) constant chord low winger --  for for us Neanderthals, choice of nose or tail wheel - i.e. an M.R. Gangster de nos hours - a tough quick build hack, and access to a veneered foam wing supplier to speed construction would be nice too.

Further back in the thread someone mention a predominantly black colour scheme - these can work well as long as you use large blocks of colour ( ideally white or fluorescent ) on upper and lower wing surfaces - visibility is excellent and you're never uncertain which way up it is.,

Edited By Old Geezer on 15/11/2019 16:11:41

Thread: Cremation, or Composting ?
12/11/2019 07:45:50

Yes - horrible black smoke from anything like that Trevor - unless it's burned at high temperature. So foamy carcasses ( and their packaging ) go on the fire when it's really got going so that the smoke ( unburned plastic ) is consumed by the fire rather than making life unpleasant for anyone downwind.

Shame that it's difficult/uneconomic to recycle a lot of plastics. I think most of us would, given the opportunity, but complete burning at least vanishes the stuff which chlorophyll and sunlight can then utilise - except we're told that there's more CO2 in the atmosphere than we need already. Bit of a bummer really.

Thread: Lest We Forget.
11/11/2019 16:50:21

THEY SHALL NOT GROW OLD.

The fact that no-one has mentioned this movie , which was shown on BBC2 again this year probably means everyone has already seen it - but if anyone has yet to see it, please do. The film isn't easy to watch but everyone should see it at least once, if only to get some idea what these men went through and to understand why soldiers never really want to talk about their war experiences.

You should be able to get it on the Internet.

Thread: Cremation, or Composting ?
11/11/2019 16:29:00

Small farm = hedge trimmings, tree ditto means that regrettably a big bonfire twice a year - and before anyone starts to complain, it's all woody so composting isn't an option. Deceased models have a Chapel of Rest in a corner of the Barn where their eviscerated carcasses (i.e. Sans servos, motor etc which WILL be recycled.) await the next cremation service.

n.b. Next service won't be until late Spring next year now, when any hedgehogs that might be overwintering/hibernating have moved out from under the heap. Still, fewer chances to fly/destroy planes over the Winter, so the Chapel of Rest might still be empty by then.

Thread: How many on-going projects and unstarted kits do you have?
11/11/2019 08:50:56

BalsaNova* - covered, engine, tank & servos in - nearly there.

Galaxy Wizard - covering half done + installation. (Putting in my first glow motor, an OS25, bought 2nd hand in the 70s, still starts first time and runs like a Swiss watch.)

Unstarted kits: Junior 60, Black Magic, Sharkface. Balsa Cabin mini-glider.

Needing a full service: :Bogey (leccy Correx combat jobbie) - needs bigger motor and stronger servos to allow it to express it's full hooligan DNA.

* Old USA design aerobat ( see The Outerzone ) airframe in the raw balsa bought some 20 years ago but it's taken this long for me to find a Round Tuit for it.

Thread: Bad news from Germany
09/11/2019 14:48:38

Not so bad then - thanks Frank.

Thread: The Gov't, CAA, BMFA & UAV legislation thread
09/11/2019 10:37:51

Can't think of any club would be welcome you to fly with them if you were uninsured - and unless you have nothing that could be taken off you ( see: Man of Straw ) if you became subject to a civil claim for damages as a result of any of your model flying or associated activities, and you're not insured, you're going to be comprehensively stuffed. All for getting snotty over Nine Quid A Year. Get real and grow up everybody - we're about building and flying our planes (Models to most folk, Toys to those we upset.) not making a principled  stand in a scrap you can't win.

See: Episode 1 of The Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy -- Arthur Dent v The Bulldozer. How much damage will the bulldozer sustain if it runs over Arthur Dent? I rest my case.

Edited By Old Geezer on 09/11/2019 10:39:01

Thread: Bad news from Germany
09/11/2019 09:19:05

Seen on Facebook ( in German but the translation is slightly confusing ) a big fire at their manufacturing/storage facility - so it looks like Multiplex products are going to be in short supply for some time to come. Shame, Multiplex are the Mercedes of the model world, I've had more planes from Multiplex than any other manufacturer, everything fitted together without any sanding or trimming and all flew well - never had a dud. A very sad day.

Thread: How many flyable aircraft do you have ?
06/11/2019 08:15:42

A dozen flyable (some without Rx's though), and two "almost" finished. Even after all these years I still can't get my head round how long it takes me to get from the bare uncovered airframe to Ready to Fly. Having taken the time to do a head count, and then thought about how many have actually been flown this year, I need to grit my teeth and thin out the unflown. The obvious solution is to take as many of the "unflown" as I can pack into the car to the next local Swapmeet - and try not to come home with more planes than I left with! (But if the right engine's there at the right price - - - - !)

Thread: power panel
02/11/2019 07:36:26

I'm another power panel refusenic - had one once, vastly over rated, electric fuel pump failed quite early, adjustable glow driver output makes it so much easier to burn out a plug and the combined weight of a lead acid battery and your fuel in one container invites a slipped disc and/or a hernia. My own preference is for a retired 3000 LiFe flight battery powering my starter. My glow clip is fed from a pair of size D Duracell dry batteries soldered together in parallel and wrapped up snugly in fibre tape - these usually last at least one season ( the last pair did two ) and are pocket proof unlike some of the clip on NiMH glow drivers. And a hand cranked fuel pump - far less fuel wasted by overfilling!

Thread: The Gov't, CAA, BMFA & UAV legislation thread
01/11/2019 07:31:29

Well said Chris.

How many of us have chucked in the towel and stopped driving just because they have to renew their driving licence every 3 years? Remember: "Nil carborundum illegitemii etc. etc. - - - "

( Don't let the Barstewards grind you down! )

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Cambridge Gliding Club
CML
Slec
Pepe Aircraft
Gliders Distribution
Wings & Wheels 2019
electricwingman 2017
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Do you use a throttle kill switch?
Q: This refers to electric-powered models but do you use a throttle kill switch?

Yes
 No
 Sometimes
 Rarely

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us