By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Ernie

Here is a list of all the postings Ernie has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: The wee bit that joins the elevator halves
16/09/2020 09:17:50

Bert, that's incredibly kind of you, but not yet. I'll have a go myself. I've found a nice wee bit of steel, and some piano wire, all around the correct thickness.

As ever the first big problem is where did I put the silver solder, and is that white powder flux or cocaine

Trevor, that looks perfectly possible, It shall be plan B

ernie

15/09/2020 07:34:56

good morning guys, and thanks a zillion for your help and interest

Keith, thats exactly what I need, alas, I never get anywhere with Flair, perhaps I'll try yet again. Yes Denis, thats what I need, Its for the Fury that I'm building with Danny Fenton. I'm way behind, but still plugging away Thats the sort of thing John, I've spent a lot of time, so I want something substantial, and yes Peter Miller and Stuphedd, its going to be a home made silver soldered joint

ernie

14/09/2020 15:31:25

I've searched the web, both high and low for the wire with a horn soldered onto it, that is used to join elevator halves together

I do feel a bit of a wimp for not making one, but it is such a critical wee component, that I don't want to chance bin bagging my latest jewel due to my dodgy silver soldering skills

where can I find one?

ernie

Thread: Building board
14/09/2020 15:16:16

Hi All

Many architects have now gone digital. So there must be hundreds of old drawing boards (or even more) Lying around. They are microscopically flat, and usually perfect for pinning onto.

Mine is around a meter by a meter and a half

ernie

Thread: Will we continue to get the magazine (RCM&E)?
13/08/2020 09:43:58

Hi All,

Of course its annoying not to get our regular issues of RCM&E, but things are difficult, Give them a bit of slack. What we certainly dont need are USA style legal threats. Hey my plane crashed.....Sue Hobbyking. Hey my engine stopped.......Sue OS

ernie

Thread: Covid 19 sports club grants.
13/08/2020 09:16:21

Hi All,

We have a very similar grant or 'bourse' here in france. The French government are of course worried about the effects of the virus on our very top sports. There are very many model flying clubs around here, usually with great wee sites, so it has quickly become a pretty big political issue.

The system for obtaining the grant is unusually simple, You need to turn up at the 'mairie' or town hall with a model plane. Plastic ones are not acceptable, because an imposter could easily just buy one in the local branch of lidl. There is the usual form filling, and a short interview with the mayor, who subjects the model to a close and rigorous examination so as to ensure that it really is hand made. When these formalities are complete (about an hour) a cheque for €1000 is issued.

My own club, LES CIGOGNES d' AQUITAINE only really has 3 members, and the other two are storks, that pop in to see me from time to time for some flying tips.

As I write, I'm really at a loss of how to spend the grant, perhaps someone has a wonderful french style idea

ernie

Thread: Model Flying on Mars!
30/07/2020 16:17:45

would a space walker not have done just as well

ernie

Thread: Aero art
18/07/2020 13:15:58

Ive just noticed that the proportions are a wee but out (too fat) I can fix that

E

18/07/2020 13:13:46

Hi all, and especially Phil

I hope this is of some use. I've mixed the two images, the painting, and the Photograph. It's about A3 size, and can be printed on paper or canvas. I can send a copy of the file, if you want to sort of replace the lost one

ernieascension.jpg

17/07/2020 14:06:08

Hi Eric, Yes the Fury is looking at me as I write. I'm much slower than you lot. I'll post some pix on Danny's thread

ernie

17/07/2020 09:29:52

Sorry Eric, but your wrong. If you look closely, you'll see that she has cleats on the soles of her shoes, and toe straps fixed to the pedals.

ernie

spithurri.jpg

15/07/2020 10:22:34

Hi All, There are some wonderful aviation artists, perhaps we could see some of your favourites. To get things rolling, here is a beauty from Frenchman Romain Hugault

erniespithurri.jpg one of my favourites

Edited By Ernie on 15/07/2020 10:23:37

Thread: Ebay sellers...
28/06/2020 13:18:35

those who know a lot, know that they  know a little

those who know a little think they know a lot

ernie

Edited By Ernie on 28/06/2020 13:19:45

Thread: Adding nose weight
22/06/2020 09:07:53

Well, Alex?

My opinion is that its a NONO, Just too much to go pear shaped.

BUT, An old friend of mine, a very accomplished modeler (he talked me through my first wobbly loop) regularly filled plastic spinners with lead shot and epoxy..never saw one go wrong

ernie

Edited By Ernie on 22/06/2020 09:09:15

Thread: Litho plate substitute?
04/06/2020 14:37:35

Yes Alan. Of course, My only excuse, is that in my haste to be of assistance, I didn't read the entire thread.

ernie

04/06/2020 13:05:43

Hi Guys, A possible source for litho late are art schools. Many still use it, and throw away used sheets.

Also there is an interesting material called Flite Metal that comes from the US of A. It's easy to find on the web

ernie

Thread: Building Real Aeroplanes in America 1918.
30/05/2020 16:41:30

FORMIDABLE M david, Its just a great big model

ernie

Thread: ungluing
11/05/2020 10:24:00

A zillion thanks for the inspiration.. Yes it's done with major surgery The wing needs some TLC but he's a happy bunny, or a lapin content as we say..And Monsieur le president has loosened the rules, so SWIMBO and I are off for a picnic in the rain

merci ernie

11/05/2020 09:17:15

I'll speak to him later today,he'se gone to ground with embarrasment.

Thanks for all the ideas. I reckon major surgery is the only way, I suspect theres a fair amount of zap in there. Also, its saturated with debonder now, and the whole caboodle is beginning to fall apart. Reminds me of an early foray into float planes. My flair cub looked so fine parked in the shallows on the lochside. After half an hour it was the worlds first anhedral high wing monoplane

ernie

10/05/2020 14:46:16

Hi all, Now, I'm not admitting to anything, and I'm asking this for a rather hapless friend.

My friend needs to know how can he unglue a joint? He sort of has a wing with a ply tongue that fits into a similar box in the fuselage. Silly sod, he got some cyano into the box and can't get the wing out. He has poured some debonder into the joint, but it's still firmly in place

If only I'd been supervising it would never have happened

ernie

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Slec
CML
electricwingman 2017
Sussex Model Centre
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
NEW POLL - has the pandemic altered your event safety perceptions?
Q: Has the covid pandemic deterred you from attending shows and events in 2021?

No, I'll be attending just as many as I usually do
 No, but I'll choose my event with greater care
 Yes, I'll attend fewer events going forward
 Yes, I wont attend any where previously I have

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!