By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for SIMON CRAGG

Here is a list of all the postings SIMON CRAGG has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Best cleaning method?
24/05/2019 08:04:36

Thanks for those who made constructive comments.

Will give the cellulose thinners a go.

23/05/2019 14:38:06

s-l1600.jpgThis engine has never been run, but stored for quite a few years. Whats the current thinking on how to clean these without dulling the finish?

Thread: Glitches and crashes
21/05/2019 20:53:30
Posted by Don Fry on 21/05/2019 19:48:59:

Steven, Simon, there was a very cerebral discussion a few days ago about lockout interference issues with a series of FrSky receivers. It was informative and informed.

When you have either something valid to say, or a statistically valid argument, speak. Until then lob your bricks somewhere else. Thank you.

Thats us told then Steve!.

Time to scroll past in future.

Head in sand and all that!

21/05/2019 19:41:42

I know this is going to stir up a hornets nest!

Out of our 45 members, roughly 40 use Futaba.

The majority of RC problems I have seen at the field have been with Speccy gear.

It could be coincidence..........but personally with 40+ years of experience, I would not bother.

Sorry, but its Futaba all day long for me.

Heading for the shelter..................................!

Thread: Another thread closed
21/05/2019 19:36:10

By and large I think this is a great forum. Even though I have been in the hobby for 40+ years, I find there is always something to learn. I believe I have also helped out newbies to this site. Life is to short to get bitter and twisted!. Lets just get on with this fantastic hobby and have "FUN". Our club is going from strength to strength. All it needs is a dose of enthusiasm from the committee and non of those "Negative waves man"!.

Thread: What a sick world we live in
20/05/2019 16:55:34

Just heard that Rod Stewart has donated 10k.

Lets hope they get the club up and running again.

Mindless idiots who will get a slapped wrist........morons!

Thread: My Ebay posting
20/05/2019 16:48:21

I would try Facebook market place, and split the items in the first instance. I have sold a fair bit of modelling goods lately, all on marketplace. I had it advertised on Gumtree. Preloved, e.bay, Bmfa etc. The only inquiries were from marketplace. Give it a try, no on costs and you can always sell other items when the first buyer turns up!.

Thread: What BMFA Flightfest is all about
14/05/2019 09:05:26

Well done Andy, I'll be sending you an article for the BMFA News about our "Flightfest" activities with our local ATC Sqn. Just had our first junior member join in a long time........so all is not doom and gloom!.

Thread: Ebay sellers...
12/05/2019 19:52:23

E.bay was good back in the day, but now flooded with overpriced tat and crippling on costs.

I have now switched all my model buying / selling activities to Facebook marketplace.

No problem sellling kits, airframes and engines.

Purchased a couple of excellent ic models.

On costs? Virtually nil so far apart from a bit of petrol. Either collect or deliver locally.

No brainer really.

Thread: Paid-for flying lessons
09/05/2019 11:11:08

Another vote for the RC Hotel. Holiday + Sun + tuition + beer = no brainer really!

08/05/2019 19:08:28
Posted by Bruce Collinson on 08/05/2019 18:57:03:

The answers are missing the point, apart from the venerable Miller P.

. I fell on my feet three ... or was it four? Years ago when I strolled up to Dales MFC with an Apprentice and a month later was buddied to an infinitely patient man called Nigel who refurbed a 90 high wing trainer of totally unknown origin and had me solo by the end of the first season. He and I have become really quite good friends as well as flying pals.

Dales’ successors in title, North Leeds, never turn anyone away as long as they can regulate the differential between ears and mouth. In my 2 (?) years there several beginners have arrived but equally, some have gone on and two in particular spring to mind, both had a lot of attention but just didn’t get it, both are flying elsewhere, both the tutors are close enough to me to admit that there were issues, both students would if pressed say that they had inadequate attention paid to them.

What lessons do we learn?

Never turn away any applicant or learner. Try to match the temperament of the tutor and student. Impress on the student that he or she will get further, faster by listening more and giving the tutor a bit of slack periodically to fly his own plane, uninterrupted. A club trainer is probably helpful but there’s another imposition on the club hierarchy, someone has to take custody of it and find room for it in the car unless it’s safe to store on site. Set some ground rules at the outset.

i strongly suspect the OP is in the wrong clubs but if any senior members of either recognise the points or people, I hope this gives food for thought.

BTC

How are we possibly missing the point?

We are all trying to help the chap, by giving useful practical advice based on years of experience.

Perhaps you ought to re-read your post, which IMHO was more condescending than helpful.

08/05/2019 17:29:57

I have had a lot of experience instructing, and have also known of people who have attended intensive weekend paid for courses.

To try and help:

Are you flying the right type of model? It needs to be a decent sized high wing trainer, which is big enough to see easily and does not get blown all over the sky.

Have you tried different instructors? They all try their best, but you will gell with some better than others?

Are you learning on the buddy lead?. If so, it might be a good idea to purchase a second TX, set it all up at home and turn up at the field ready to fly. No faffing about trying to find somebody to set up with. We do this and it works a treat.

Simulators are great, but have virtually disappeared apart from the expensive offerings.

Hope this helps.

Thread: CAA registration consulation
06/05/2019 17:56:50
Posted by Percy Verance on 06/05/2019 17:46:18:

Does anyone know when the meeting between the BMFA head honcho and the Minister for Aviation takes place?

I'm not a BMFA member, but the outcome is likely to affect us all so I'd like to know all the same.....

Edited By Percy Verance on 06/05/2019 17:49:20

The BMFA website is being updated regularly on the subject.

Thread: Exponential for beginners?
30/04/2019 16:22:30
Posted by Andrew Ray on 30/04/2019 14:35:32:

This would have been a non argument when I learnt to fly, we didn't even know what rates were let alone expo because they hadn't been invented. The model was set up appropriately so we didn't worry about non linear movement as it was not noticeable.

Edited By Andrew Ray on 30/04/2019 14:36:15

Me too.

Just grateful that it went up.............and came down. Then we went to the pub.

Simple really.

Thread: Hi-Boy TURBO
30/04/2019 11:06:57
Posted by stephen craggs on 29/04/2019 17:21:27:

Hi Folks, Can anyone help with either plans or instructions for a Precedent Hi-Boy Turbo?

I have had both the Hi Boy and the Turbo, please let me know what info you need.

Thread: Exponential for beginners?
30/04/2019 07:58:35
Posted by ASH. on 29/04/2019 22:56:43:

I am a firm believer in Expo... Not much, just 10-12%. It's almost negligible but it helps smooth out the centre ever so slightly. I would always recommend it to all. And newbies need not fear it. I don't fly 3D.

Me too. Usually teach with 30% dialled in. Especially helpful with a nervous FNG. Over many years, I have found that they progress much better with it, than without it. I always carefully explain what it is, and how / when it can be adjusted as the student progesses.

Thread: Wash out
25/04/2019 18:24:07

I have had several cubs over the years, and none of them had wash out. I would not get bogged down with the subject. I would just build it all square, and after covering check carefully with an incidence meter. Test fly with everyhting at zero. You can always "twist" some wasout in at a later date, using the heat gun. Good luck.

Thread: Where's all the stock?
25/04/2019 16:57:30

This might seem a bit far fetched, but this is what we do:

We have a club "shop" in our club hut.

It stocks most of the odds and ends that we need on a regular basis, and comes from mainly deceased members workshops. (Props, servos, wheels, glue, servos etc. etc.).

Items are purchased on donation basis and money collected monthly at club night by the shop treasurer.

We have been doing this for a couple of years now, and so far it works a treat.

Maybe food for thought for some clubs.

Thread: Beware - Scammers
25/04/2019 16:50:45

I recently had the "I am overseas at the moment, but want to purchase your item at the full asking price. I will send my courier to collect it etc. etc".

What a wast of time and energy.

Have these morons got nothing better to do than trawl our free ads, and send out xxxx like that?.

Had this on a variety of selling sites.

Sellers beware!.

Thread: Saito and OS engine servicing
22/04/2019 08:40:39
Posted by Percy Verance on 22/04/2019 07:54:19:

As fewer i.c. model engines are sold, the manufacturers will look to try to recoup the lost revenue on spares and servicing. Saito spares have always carried eye watering price tags, with OS spares prices not far behind. Sadly, it's led to a downward spiral. There are few whom would freely fork out £75 to £100 to have something like an OS .91fs serviced, and there lies the problem...........

And I don't believe them when they say it's cheaper to buy a new one either Martin, not at OS prices anyway. A list price of £350 for a .56fs alpha? Come on OS, get real. Ok, some of the shops will knock one out at 50 or 60 quid less, but it's still a healthy wedge for a 56 four stroke.

And you can't box clever by buying an ASP or SC anymore as these seem to have been out of stock for months.

Edited By Percy Verance on 22/04/2019 08:03:44

Agreed.

I wonder what to make of the "ASP / SC Factory is moving", which I have read on a couple of sites. Is this the end of the cheaper ic engines we all know and love?.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Revoc
Gliders Distribution
Pepe Aircraft
CML
Wings & Wheels 2019
Slec
electricwingman 2017
Motion RC
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Does your club have a safety officer?
Q: Does your club have a safety officer, or is the emphasis on individual members to each be their own safety officer?

Yes we have a SO
 No, it's down to everyone

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us