By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for GrumpyGnome

Here is a list of all the postings GrumpyGnome has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: What's flying over your house
18/09/2020 05:57:47

Impressive birds, buzzards. I am still in awe at the sheer number around us - close to Filey on the East Coat. A pair seem to favour our flying field and throughout summer, I would invariably find them on the runway, taking to the air as I turn into the field. For the last few weeks, there has only been one though....

Before retirement in April, I used to work in Skipton a few days a week and be amazed at the number of Kites near Harewood house near Leeds.

I, for one, am glad the raptor numbers seem to be increasing.

GG

Thread: The Dark Nights Fix-up 2020
17/09/2020 12:43:44

The SE5 is a 'recreation' of how it was in the recently planted rape field. The bits at the front were spread around the main carcass. After taking the photo, I went to find the pilot - who was about 50 feet away from the crash site...

GG

17/09/2020 07:51:11

My contribution .......

20200917_070441.jpg

Thread: Antonov AN124 Ruslan
16/09/2020 05:53:23

Awesome. Simply awesome!

GG

Thread: Great Service
14/09/2020 08:33:17

I see lots of social media about bad service, so I thought I would try and balance this a little.....

After much searching, I located an Arrows Viper at Steve Webb models. Ordered one day and arrived the next, including a checklist showing SW had done their own QC! Great Service. (Great model too btw...)

GG

10/09/2020 21:23:13

Spooky. Couple of Chinooks were flying around earlier, quite low, doing triangular circuits, passing me at about 0.25 miles away. Surprisingly graceful machines..

GG

Thread: Price of Kits
09/09/2020 09:24:08

It's as much that as the disparity that gets me...... how can some shops charge £130 for a kit that is under £105 elsewhere....... and don't get me started on the Amazon markup!

Going back to the op, yes, things have gone up - an eflite artf that i got just before lockdown has gone up by almost 20%...

GG

09/09/2020 07:00:05

We moved to the Yorkshire east coast a couple of years ago and i was immediately surprised at the aircraft flying over - the military ones probably on their way to or from the MOD airspace just off the coast. Geographically, I am 5 miles from the coast, about 2 miles from an 'inactive' RAF base, about 4 miles from a private airfield, and a mile or so from my flying field😊

From what I can remember, these have flown over/around at various heights (often EXTREMELY low...) some are almost daily

Eurofighter/Typhoon

F15

F16

A400M (VERY VERY LOW)

USAF Galaxy

Tucanos (often have 3 practicing aeros overhead)

Grob Prefect

Tornado

Hawk

Tiger Moth (flew over one way at about 1000 feet; 20 mins later flew back much much lower to be under the clouds)

Bell 222

R22

R44

Various SAR helis

Chinook

Couple of autogyros (these land at Edsfield the private airfield)

Various other helis that I cannot identify

Microlights ditto

Usual cessnas and pipers

A Hurricane (I think) - probably going to/from an airshow....

My wife thinks it's funny that I run into the garden when I hear an aeroplane. Like a 60 year old child.

As an aside, we drove to our local refuse/recycling centre a while ago, and whilst waiting for a train to pass (LOADS of level crossings round here), I said "wow look at that long flat field, would have been great for WW2 bombers". I later found it was an emergency field for just that in WW2 - just outside Bridlington.

This place feels a million miles removed from Halifax!

GG

08/09/2020 18:03:50

A eurofighter is currently flying around iverhead. Very noisy!

GG

Thread: Wrong receiver being controlled?!
06/09/2020 05:15:54

13 posts until 'Brand bashing' starts... not sure if that's an improvement or not....

GG

Thread: Accident waiting to happen?
02/09/2020 08:14:27

I assume the concern is the fact that all the LiPos are in that open tub?

GG

Thread: Banggood Delivery Times
23/08/2020 06:19:56

I ordered a plane that arrived in 5 days, via Germany.

A spare prop for the plane arrived in about 10 days.

Three other props took just over 20 days.

So, varied delivery times would be my answer!

GG

Thread: flap/elevator setting
15/08/2020 18:14:24

So.... my Wot 4 needs down; my T28 needs down: my umx ss cub needs huge amounts of down; my typhoon needs up; my explorer needs nothing; my spitfire needs nothing......

Prevailing wind where i fly requires me to land by flying over/between treees and a large pile of cow manure so tends to needs a fair bit of juggling. Or i have to land downhill, or over a ditch and hedge, so ditto. Fourth direction is great! Nice and clear.... so adjustable on a knob would be tricky. Just have to set a mix by trial and error. (makes it sound like a poor field but it is really lovely and a really really good patch - best club field i have ever had

GG

Thread: Thumbs up to T9 Hobbysport
15/08/2020 15:22:49

+1 - always excellent service!

Thread: Starmax Panther
14/08/2020 11:20:39

Arrows Viper? Smaller with no wheels.....

Thread: What glues do you use?
05/08/2020 17:29:41

PVA

Aliphatic

Cyan (thin, medium, thick, Gorilla Glue Gel)

Uhu Por

Epoxy (5 min, 30 in, 24 hour)

GG

Thread: I max B6. Charger
31/07/2020 14:54:12

I used one of these in the past and I found (most weirdly!) that if not used for a while, all sorts of oddities occur. Leave the charger plugged in and it seems to recover ................ maybe it has a memory/battery somewhere?

GG

Thread: The Alpina is back!
31/07/2020 04:35:17

I can only drool at the machines costing that much.... I know they will last for years and still be gorgeous, but I'd never be able to justify the cost sad.

GG

Thread: Very fast delivery from Banggood China
30/07/2020 14:50:53

I'm not bashing HK in any way ................. I have posted several times praising HK. I have bought dozens of items off them over the years and only had one issue that was resolved extremely quickly.

I am finding their (discontinued) Spacewalker kit irritating as it is not very good - poor cutting and no plan or meaningful instructions. On the other hand I have had some excellent HK products.... and I have no qualms ordering from them again.

I was just trying to reinforce the original posting of good service from Banggood.........

GG

30/07/2020 12:26:16

Another Banggood surprise...

Ordered this late on Saturday, arrived 8:30 this morning!

20200730_105114.jpg

Well pleased. Now need to decide if I build it now or finish the (VERY irritating) HK Spacewalker kit...

GG

Support Our Partners
Slec
CML
Sussex Model Centre
electricwingman 2017
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
NEW POLL - has the pandemic altered your event safety perceptions?
Q: Has the covid pandemic deterred you from attending shows and events in 2021?

No, I'll be attending just as many as I usually do
 No, but I'll choose my event with greater care
 Yes, I'll attend fewer events going forward
 Yes, I wont attend any where previously I have

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!