By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for GrumpyGnome

Here is a list of all the postings GrumpyGnome has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: FrSky Taranis - user chat
21/11/2019 07:49:27

My X9D+SE 2019 is driving me nuts! I just can't get it to bind.

I think it's an International version as it came from Bangood - how can I tell ?

On the understanding I do have an international Tx, I flashed my Rx, but it still won't bind. What should I check before sending the Tx to T9 to check it's working ..... ?

I'm sure it's going to be worth the rather steep learning curve ...........................

TIA

GG

Thread: Looking at a new supplier
18/11/2019 07:17:59

I've bought a few things from them - car, spares.... never had a problem.

GG

Thread: How many on-going projects and unstarted kits do you have?
10/11/2019 08:21:15

1. Make my taranis bind............... VERY frustrating!

2. Fix the airborne radio install in my Ultrastick 10cc (to use the OpenSky Rx from 1. probably....)

3. Finish small Tiger Moth

4. Remove warps from small DR1

5. Make radio work in UMX A10 so I can put it back together following purchase of new fuselage

6. Replace tailerons on UMX F16 - needs Horizon Hobby to actually make replacement tailerons that an be used first ......

7. Touch up umx SS Cub

8. Fix ailerons on C-Ray

9. Stabilise wings on Wots Wot-E - they're a little loose after several hundred flights

10. Build Micro Aces Fokker DIIV

11. Build SFM SE5

12. Build SFM spacewalker

13. Tidy workshop!

14. Decide what to do with the dozen or so 'benched' planes that live in eaves and will most likely never be used

15. Decide what's on Xmas list!

GG

Thread: Petrol Newbie
27/08/2019 11:12:02

Piccies later.

Layout as follows, from nose:

RCGF15cc rear induction side exhaust engine on standoffs

Fuel tank and tacho

Electronic ignition unit

Throttle servo - metal pushrod to carb, running alongside ignition unit

Switches (RC & ignition)

Satellite receiver

Batteries - RC and ignition

Spektrum AR6200 Rx (2.4)

Rudder and ele servos in tail, on extension leads.

HT lead to cap seems good. Cap to plug seems good. Have found plus a little loose ........... probably won't help!

Cheers, Mark

26/08/2019 13:05:17

Good afternoon

I am just Dipping my toe in the world of petrol and have a couple of questions....

1. my glow powered models use three lines to the tank.... fill, carb, and pressure. My petrol engine does not provide exhaust pressure - do I leave a line 'open' to allow air to the tank to replace burnt fuel?

2. the engine runs nicely with power to the ignition supply only; when I switch on the radio, there seems to be a ton of interference, with all servos moving, including the throttle, and the motor stops. I assume this means there is a problem with my electronic ignition ? Can I replace it with any unit or are they bespoke? The motor is an RCGF 15cc..

Thanks in advance

Mark

Thread: Model Recommendation
31/07/2019 12:10:11

Nope, unconventional is fine.

Hi MowerMan - I wondered if you'd recommend a nutball I recall it does fly rather well ......

GG

30/07/2019 12:13:30

Thansk for suggestions so far.....

Little Midge out of stock - shame, looks good!

New criteris:

* 4 channel

* Fully Aerobatic.

Keep 'em coming!

GG

Edited By GrumpyGnome on 30/07/2019 12:15:21

Thread: Chris Mass Build thread - Renaissance
30/07/2019 10:49:32

Hi Chris

Yes, I do all 'odd' bits like wingtips first.

Yes, I do fuselage bottom, then sides, then top. All after odd bits like around control rod exits...

Mind you, im not going to be entering any Concors events with any of mine so others may have better advice

GG

Thread: Model Recommendation
30/07/2019 10:36:07

Morning

I have a very old, and very tatty small EFlite Viking that really neds retiring. So I am looking for recommendations for a suitable replacement model to use the dozen or so 3S 450mAh Lipos I have for it.

Foam, wood, ARTF, kit, PnP, BNF, happy with any, based on real world experience rather than over-promising adverts.

TIA.

GG

Thread: Spektrum DX7
30/07/2019 10:31:43

Another vote to keep it. Mine's about 8 years old and still does all I need.

GG

Thread: SIG Kadet LT-40 Build - My first proper build!
24/07/2019 12:33:11

Hi Nu Me 1

Totally agree with all those who are asking you to continue. I know that sometimes threads degenerate (often very quickly!) but you may pick up a gem or 2 that helps you; I'm sure that even those who have been building/flying for years often learn something.

GG

23/07/2019 12:01:58

I took a 'hybrid' approach with my sadly dead Wot 4 ..... 2 aileron servos using 1 torque rod each, both in the wing centre section. Best (or worst) of all worlds!

Having said that, I agree with previous posts - follow the plan for the first build.

GG

Edited By GrumpyGnome on 23/07/2019 12:12:02

22/07/2019 13:09:34

Gosh, that's a difficult way to do shear webs. I tend to glue them to the vertical faces of the spars - can be less critical of length then sand them down.

But I suppose SIG have made more kits than I have!

GG

Thread: Local club attendance
03/07/2019 08:25:06

I think we shouldn't call people 'armchair flyers' just because they are not seen.............. I like to fly early in the morning as it lets me have the rest if the day with my family.

I have been a member of my new club for over 11 months now, have flown at the field on dozens of occasions but have only seen one other memer once, arriving as I was leaving.

I'm lucky in that it takes me longer to pack my car than it does to get to the field it has to be said!

I know miss out on the 'banter' etc., but it works for me until I have more spare time.

I do appreciate there will be true 'armchair flyers' but maybe not as many as we think....

(Once at my previous club, I stayed longer than normal and was greeted with "Oh, we didnlt think you ever flew...."

GG

01/07/2019 09:54:52

I have been a member of three clubs, all similar size.... same experience!

GG

Thread: Good luck to the BMFA
08/06/2019 06:45:00

Hear hear!

GG

Thread: Building a Pilot with a 3D Printer
27/04/2019 06:17:26

The printing bit is quite easy - you can get a decent enough printer for under £200, and the software to use it is free. The challenge is creating a good 3D image of yourself.................... there is software out there but unless you want to pay quite a large amount, be prepared to do a lot of tinkering using cheaper (free!) software.

GG

Thread: Cheaper Teslas.....
11/03/2019 08:38:13

and now................ more expensive Teslas!

**LINK**

GG

Thread: Keil Kraft Outlaw
06/03/2019 16:31:10

Maybe Solarfilm Solite would be better for covering? Can be ordered direct from solarfilm web site ......

GG

Thread: Nigel Hawes 30" Tucano advice.
14/08/2018 12:43:41
I updated my old small one to brushless and lipo as well..... Very very slippery. Throws about 4mm each way on mine.
GG
Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
CML
electricwingman 2017
Sussex Model Centre
Slec
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!