By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Peter Christy

Here is a list of all the postings Peter Christy has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Apps and Overlander
02/04/2020 11:31:54

Couldn't agree more! Why does my local bus company's app (which tells me when the next bus will arrive) need access to my photos, etc?

I believe the latest versions of Android enable you to be much more selective about what apps are able to access, but with 5G on the horizon, now would seem to be a bad time to get a new 'phone!

And its not just apps! nearly every website you visit demands that you "accept" them sharing your data with all their marketing buddies, or accept reduced functionality! Why???

Some do provide a "reject all" option, but then keep asking the question every time you log on!

Come the revolution, these jerks need to be first against the wall!

angry

--

Pete

Thread: Round the Pole but Radio Control!
01/04/2020 19:09:37
smiley
--
Pete
Thread: Grass Cutting
01/04/2020 19:05:11

I think its fairly safe to assume that your area's Chief Constable will be a member of the Golf Club!

Or am I just being an old cynic?

angry

--

Pete

Thread: The Gov't, CAA, BMFA & UAV legislation thread
31/03/2020 17:07:19

Where is the Campaign for Plain English when you need them?

angry

Are people actually paid to write this stuff? Send 'em all back to school!

--

Pete

Thread: The penny is finally dropping....
30/03/2020 19:23:31

.... in some areas, at least! I wonder how long before our (and other) governments wake up?

**LINK**

--

Pete

Thread: Charmouth, Spring 2020
26/03/2020 17:23:31

I don't think anyone will be surprised to learn that the Spring Charmouth Heli fly-in has been cancelled.

Newlands Holiday Camp, which hosts the majority of attendees, is offering to move existing Spring bookings to Autumn at no cost.

Stay safe, folks!

--

Pete

Thread: Radio
26/03/2020 16:24:17

I actually had a long discussion about this with an Ofcom official, way back when 2.4GHz had just been legalised.

At the time, they were saying that modules could only be used in transmitters that they had been specifically tested in. ie: If one had been tested in a PCM-9, that didn't mean it was also permitted for use in a PCM-10!

I asked if this meant they were going to ask PC World to certify the WiFi adapters they were selling for laptops in every type of computer they sold that they could be used in? He said he would get back to me!

He actually did, and the answer was that they accepted that type approval held for any suitable transmitter. ie: if it was tested in a PCM-9, yes, it could be used in a PCM-10.

They stated at the time that the "transmitter" was the whole unit - not just the module - as the module was not capable of transmitting unless connected to the main unit.

That being the case, as long as part of the "transmitter" pre-dates the rule change you should be good to go!

Now I am not a lawyer, I'm just re-iterating what I was told by an Ofcom official. And, no, I don't have it in writing. But equally, it is a logical argument. And quite honestly, they will only investigate if a complaint is made. A pretty unlikely occurrence, I would guess!

wink

--

Pete

25/03/2020 16:48:34
Posted by MattyB on 25/03/2020 13:20:30:I would love to understand how T9 justify selling the DJT after all this time. Nothing new that uses the V8 or D8 protocols has had a valid certificate of conformity since the regs changed in Jan 2016, and the grace period for selling old stock was only 1 year... sarcastic

But if your transmitter pre-dates the regulation change (as Paul's PCM9x certainly does) then you have "grandfather" rights and can continue using the older protocols!

devil

--

Pete

Thread: Email for a mac
24/03/2020 11:15:41

I do have a Mac, though I don't use it much - mostly for video editing. But Thunderbird (email client) works absolutely fine with gmail, and is available cross-platform (Windoze, Mac and Linux). This makes it ideal should you ever decide to change platforms at some point.

--

Pete

Thread: Has Your Club Made Any Decisions Regarding The Coronavirus?
24/03/2020 11:11:34

Like most people on here, I will - reluctantly - follow the new rules.

What I cannot understand is why public transport was not closed down a week or so ago. Clearly, places like London Underground, over-crowded buses and trains are going to spread illnesses like this far faster than anything else.

When I was about to retire, a few years back, I joked with the wife that I wanted to buy a place in the middle of nowhere! She is now beginning to understand where I was coming from!

We ended up compromising, and live in an almost rural location - but not quite rural enough to escape Boris' Ban!

The appalling weather over the winter has forced us into semi-isolation since before Christmas. Now the weather has finally broken, it looks like we are going to be stuck at home for another 6 months (at least, I reckon!).

Typical!

angry

--

Pete

23/03/2020 15:39:19

Frankly, living out here, I'm far more likely to pick something up off the post, Amazon, food deliveries, than I am stood in the middle of a field, miles from anywhere. This thing can live on surfaces outside the body for some time, we're told.

So do you sterilize the post before you open it? Amazon deliveries? Food orders? Where do you draw the line?

In any case, most of the major food delivery companies are presently booked solid until the middle of April, so there is no choice but to visit the local shops, or (Shock! Horror!) the supermarket.

Mixing with "the great unwashed" in such places is far, far more risky, than a couple of hours with a small number of sensible people in an isolated location.

Frankly, I trust the other members of our small group far more than I trust the postman, the baker or the candle-stick-maker. These are people I've known for over 50 years in some cases, and there is mutual trust and respect.

We are all being cautious, and self-isolating at home. Current figures for infection in our area are 16 out of a population of 136,000 in the surrounding area. Of course, the true infection rate will be more than this, but even if it is an order of magnitude in error, it is still a vanishingly small number. This is NOT a big city - even remotely.

--

Pete

23/03/2020 12:44:02

With it looking like there might (finally!) be a break in the weather this week, a few of us have been discussing our options. We are all theoretically in the "at risk" group by virtue of age, but otherwise in good general health.

None of us is worried about being on the field in the presence of others (it is in the middle of nowhere!), but have decided that car sharing is out, as is handing the transmitters around! We will also be keeping a reasonable distance apart, and if anyone has any symptoms at all, they will NOT be coming to the field!

We believe that if we are sensible about this, there is no reason not to enjoy our flying while we can.

--

Pete

Thread: FrSky Major Update for most TX and RX
21/03/2020 18:26:05

Andy,

1) BECS. I don't like them! I've known them cause all sorts of issues, and will only use them on lightweight models where there is no other option.

2) Yes, telemetry loss when the model is close to the Tx is normal, and nothing to worry about.

3) The perceived wisdom is that the internal antennae offer a better signal distribution than the external one. I've not experienced an issue with either option, but am only stating what has been reported.

Your update suggests to me that your original issue was caused by the BEC. I have witnessed this on several other occasions over the years, with all manner of different equipment (35Mhz, 459 MHz, 2.4 GHz).

I don't use FrOS, but I would suggest doing the RF upgrade first, as once done, you can remove the relevant firmware files from the SD card. I've never experienced the issues that the new RF firmware is supposed to "fix", but there are reports that the new firmware itself may have some bugs. I intend to wait for further updates before I consider upgrading the RF firmware on my systems.

Just my 2p worth! wink

--

Pete

Thread: OpenTx - Questions and Problems
21/03/2020 09:55:30

Glad you got it sorted, Steve!

I always try and keep my systems relatively up-to-date to avoid issues like this! I know how traumatic it can be! Having said that, I don't usually update to v.2.X.0, preferring to wait for at least 2.X.1 to catch any bugs!

I know the developers do a lot of Release Candidates (RC versions) before finally issuing a major upgrade, but its not until it gets in the hands of the great unwashed that you find out how resilient your testing has been! wink

--

Pete

Thread: FrSky Major Update for most TX and RX
21/03/2020 09:47:47

I can only speak of my own experience with an X9D and X10S: So far, I have not experienced any un-commanded outputs. I am therefore holding off on updates to v2.X until it is thoroughly de-bugged.

Andy's telemetry dropouts also set alarm bells ringing for me, too. Its very difficult to diagnose at a distance - you really need to get the transmitter on a spectrum analyzer to see what is going on. It does sound like a dodgy RF link, and switching between FrSkyOS and OpenTx will have little, if any, impact on this.

Andy doesn't state whether he's using the internal or external antennae. It could just be a poor connection between the RF board and antenna, so that is the first thing I would check. See if the problem goes away on the other antenna.

If its the same on both, does changing the receiver help?

If not, it points to a faulty RF board in the Tx.

I don't know whereabouts Andy is, but unless he has a local electronics guru who can run a ruler over it, I would be inclined to return the Tx to T9 for a check-up.

--

Pete

Thread: UK leaving EASA!
20/03/2020 17:14:04

Quite right Erf! We managed OK before we joined EASA, so I don't see why we shouldn't manage OK again. Indeed, as has been pointed out, EASA has relied quite heavily on the expertise of UK staff, so if they are all brought home to the CAA, then it is EASA that will need to source new expertise, not us!

Assuming of course that the Brits at EASA want to come back!

--

Pete

Thread: OpenTx - Questions and Problems
20/03/2020 17:07:59

There was a fairly big change in the filing system used for storing models a while back (can't remember which version, but think it was 2.2.x). The format of the SD card also changed, and it is essential to have the right SD card format for the version you are using.

Remember that you are trying to jump 3 major generations of software here, so expect a few bumps in the road!

Back up your SD card on your computer, then download the version appropriate to whatever version of OpenTx you are trying to use, and then use Companion to convert everything to the new format before saving it to the new SD card.

Unless you have a lot of complex setups, it might be easier just to update to 2.3.5 (with a new SD card) and start again from scratch.

You will find download links for the SD card (and Companion) for 2.3.5 here: **LINK**

(scroll down to the bottom of the page)

You will also find SDcard downloads and Companion for older versions on the same site.

Best of luck!

--

Pete

Thread: Radio
19/03/2020 16:49:13

+1 for T9Hobbysport.

They currently do two modules for JR transmitters, DJT and XJT. The DJT supports the older protocols (V8 and D8) which are no longer technically legal. However, as your transmitter pre-dates the 2015 cut-off date, you have "grandfather" rights and can use these legally. (V8 is non-telemetry.)

The XJT supports the newer D16 protocol, and is the one I would recommend. I suspect it also supports D8, the older telemetry protocol, but the website isn't clear on that. I would be surprised if it doesn't, as I think its the same board as goes in the FrSky transmitters.

However, this is academic unless you have some older FrSky receivers. Just go with the XJT module, and get X-series receivers to go with it.

You could also consider one of the multi-protocol modules, but make sure you get the one with a rotary switch on it, like this: **LINK**

The switch enables you to change protocols, and it also supports DSM-2 and DSM-X, so you could use your PCM-9 with your Spektrum receivers as well as FrSky, Hitec, Futaba - to name but a few!

A bit more complex, and it would help to be a bit of a computer geek - or know someone who is - but almost infinitely flexible!

For simplicity, stick to the XJT.

--

Pete

19/03/2020 12:08:18

Nothing wrong with any of that gear, but probably worth changing the battery packs! I still have - and still use - my PCM9x! The 35 MHz band is almost empty these days, but keep an eye out, as people have got sloppy about frequency control!

You can get 2.4 GHz modules to fit the PCM9x if you want to move completely to 2.4 GHz, but it isn't necessary unless you want to.

--

Pete

Thread: 35 MHz crystals
19/03/2020 11:01:10
Posted by Bob Cotsford on 19/03/2020 10:07:15:Peter, I still have both my FF8 and FF9s though I think I only have one module between them and no ideas where I may have put their aerials. Maybe I should polish them up and use them as wall art?

Convert them to 2.4 GHz!

wink

--

Pete

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Support Our Partners
electricwingman 2017
Sussex Model Centre
Cambridge Gliding Club
Slec
CADMA
CML
Wings & Wheels 2019
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us