By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Peter Christy

Here is a list of all the postings Peter Christy has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Hirobo Huey
22/11/2020 19:29:48

Hirobo stuff is still imported and available through Midland Helicopters: **LINK**

For odd spares, you can try the importer: **LINK**

They also import a range of Funkey scale fuselages to fit Hirobo (and others). Not sure about a Huey, but they do quite a range (JetRanger, Agusta, etc)

--

Pete

Thread: Sign of the times - funnies
18/11/2020 18:47:40

Brilliant!

yesyesyes

laugh

--

Pete

Thread: A Shortage Of Balsa And Lipo's, Where Do We Go From Here?
18/11/2020 17:17:40

One of the reasons I bought a "classic" car a few years ago, was that, unlike more modern fuel-injected cars, it is a relatively simple matter to run it on chicken manure!

**LINK**

The car will be 50 years old next March, and still drives almost like new!

All I have to do now is locate an aqualung compressor, gas tanks, dustbin, and - er - chicken manure...

laugh

I can see the price of "classics" going through the roof in a few years!

--

Pete

Thread: X8R update
13/11/2020 21:49:03
Posted by Geoff S on 13/11/2020 20:43:09:

I phomd T9 HobbySport this afternoon to check what RF version their X8Rs had installed. They're all the old standard and they said they's never heard of any of their customers having a problem in the UK. I have several X8R and X6Rs and they've worked perfectly.

Anyway, i ordered another (and another 80 amp Neuron esc).

I also down loaded from Frsky the latest X10 Horus s/w (FW-X10-X10s-v1.0307) which implies it's still version 1. Is this the version I would need to flash if I updated? The X10 and X10S are now discontinued but perhaps I should use the later X10 Express firmware? It gets confusing

Geoff

Geoff: The X10 Express has a different RF board to the standard X10/S, and therefore requires different firmware. It uses the "Access" protocol - not to be confused with ACSS! (yes, I know! wink )

Basically, if you have an original X10/S that uses D8/D16, DO NOT try and flash it with the Express firmware!

(I have to watch myself because my X10S is an original, but I also keep an eye on a flying buddy's X10 Express, which uses different firmware!)

--

Pete

Thread: Trouble with Laptop
12/11/2020 10:39:41

Quite so! I gave up on Windows decades ago, initially turning to OS/2, then Linux. Never had a problem with it.

Going back even further, I remember building a UK101 kit computer in the late 70s. It came with Micro$oft Basic. I thought that was great until a year or two later, when the BBC "B" arrived with BBC Basic, which showed how it should *really* be done!

Been very skeptical of Micro$oft stuff ever since...

--

Pete

Thread: Can I use NiCad trickle chargers on NiMH?
10/11/2020 22:07:02

Whilst a thorough trickle charge once in a while helps to balance a NiXX pack, doing it continually is not a good idea. Very few flyers use anything like the full capacity of a pack in a day's flying, and therefore charging at 0.1C for 10-12 hours will result in the battery being regularly overcharged.

Overcharging will warm up the battery, possibly drying out the electrolyte, though at 0.1C, this is not the major problem. What will certainly happen is that the cells will start to vent gas. The gas is alakaline and corrosive if there is any damp in the atmosphere. This is the root cause of the dreaded "black wire" corrosion.

It is no coincidence that "black wire" corrosion has almost disappeared since the introduction of "peak detect" chargers.

The short answer is that occasional use of a trickle charger will do no harm, and may be slightly beneficial. Continual use is not a good idea!

--

Pete

Thread: The Gov't, CAA, BMFA & UAV legislation thread
04/11/2020 09:05:26
Posted by MattyB on 03/11/2020 22:45:41:
Personally I highly doubt the CAA would conduct such a visit given a) the long-standing working relationship they have with the BMFA, and b) the fact it is highly unlikely to teach them anything they don’t already know.

I'm not so sure how knowledgeable the CAA are on modelling matters. They seem to rely heavily on the BMFA.

A few years ago (before drones became an issue), I was helping out on the helicopter flight-line at the Nats. A party of VIPs from the CAA was being shown round, and I was asked to give them some info on RC helicopters. Their first question was "How far can they go?", and they were quite surprised when I told them that the limitation was not radio range, or even eye-sight range, but how far you could see it well enough to maintain control. This distance is significantly less than it is for a fixed-wing aircraft. A fixed-wing aircraft will almost always be going the way it is pointing. A helicopter can be pointing one way and flying in a completely different direction! This means that the pilot must have a far better view of it to maintain control than for fixed-wing. ie: It needs to be kept closer!

The CAA bods were smart enough to see this once it had been pointed out to them, but you could tell that it was something that had never occurred to them previously.

Whilst model flying and full-size have a lot in common, there are significant differences. The CAA may well be experts in the full-size world, but have no doubt, there are big gaps in their knowledge of model flying. To fill those gaps, they must rely heavily on the BMFA.

And this is before we even consider political decisions that are out of their hands!

--

Pete

Thread: Why Do We Blunt The Leading Edges Of Our Wings?
03/11/2020 16:31:41

Philip Lewis: Thanks for the update!

Although it is along time since I took an interest in FAI aerobatics (though I have had a go at a UK Classic event), I seem to recall being told at the Nats that landings and take-offs were no longer scored! This amazed me, as these are two manoeuvres that are compulsory to any flight - regardless of class!

Also pulling off a smooth, straight take-off and a nicely judged 3-pointer (if you have a tail-dragger) is immensely satisfying!

Still better let the thread get back on topic...! wink

--

Pete

Thread: What's your favourite fuel proofer
02/11/2020 10:02:34

Nigel: I've also used finishing resin with great success around firewalls, tank bays, etc. Solartex stuck to it OK after a coat of Clearcoat on top (rather defeats the object!), and I try to avoid film coverings, so I've no idea if they stick to epoxy resin coated wood or not!

I tried Flair Spectrum paints (years ago) and was not impressed! I was under the impression that Spectra was the same stuff, but I stand to be corrected.

--

Pete

02/11/2020 08:01:18

I'm in the same boat! Since Clearcoat and Solarlac disappeared, I haven't found an equivalent!

My experiences with other model specific paints have been disappointing - to put it mildly! The best finish results I've had have come from car aerosols, but then you still have the problem of fuel proofing them. I've seen Rustins floor varnish (?) recommended, and it is on my "to try" list, but I have no idea how car paint will react to it.

Looking forward to suggestions here!

--

Pete

Thread: Why Do We Blunt The Leading Edges Of Our Wings?
01/11/2020 12:04:11

"Back in the day" ie: 1960s - before the dawn of proportional control - most aerobatic models had rounded, but blunt leading edges. This gave a pretty benign stall, but more importantly, an almost constant speed aircraft!

You couldn't throttle back coming down out of loops with "reed" equipment, and this design feature made the loops pretty much constant speed despite being stuck at full throttle!

One of my current models is a "KingPin" from 1963. In its day, it would have been considered a "hot" aerobatic model. Attempting to modulate the throttle during loops makes them look quite untidy (using modern radio gear). Leave it at full throttle, and it goes around nice and smoothly!

Another interesting feature is that most models of that era had a nose-leg that was shorter than the main gear, giving the model a nose-down attitude on the ground. This leads to a fairly abrupt take-off, once the elevator has enough bite to overcome the nose down attitude, and also makes the model stick firmly on landing, without bouncing.

Landings and take-offs were scored back then, and I cannot understand why they are no longer scored in modern aerobatic contests! Anyone care to enlighten me?

--

Pete

Thread: What happened to the great model magazines?
29/10/2020 10:10:38

I think the one I miss most is the American RCM magazine. Many of the contributors were well known designers and/or manufacturers (Clarence Lee - Veco and K&B, Jim Oddino, electronics wizard to name but two!).

It also pioneered the home-built radio side of the hobby with the ground breaking "Digitrio" and "Classic" proportional systems. The "Classic" receiver was generally regarded as one of the best of the 27MHz AM era.

Rarely covered these days, except in Shaun Garrity's column, is the amount of "home-made" equipment still being built on 2.4 GHz. Much of this is down to Phil Green and his Arduino and Digispark encoders, coupled to "off-the-shelf" modules, but now some are even programming up readily available RF boards and producing their own 2.4 GHz systems! Maybe not as sophisticated as the commercial offerings, but don't underestimate the buzz you get from flying with a system you've made yourself!

I will never forget the first successful flight I had, with a completely home designed and built system back in the 27 MHz days! And I would never have managed it had I not pored over the RCM articles as a teenager!

--

Pete

Thread: 20-size add-on silencer wanted
29/10/2020 09:55:38

I've found the BCM silencers very effective. Not cheap, but very quiet. I've used their "Universal" (strap-on) silencer on an old-ish 45 that I was having problems locating the proper silencer for, and have been very pleased with it. They also make silencers for specific manufacturers.

JustEngines

Scroll down to the bottom for the "universal" ones.

--

Pete

Thread: Get it off your chest.
26/10/2020 18:49:16
Posted by Peter Miller on 26/10/2020 18:35:46:

Tonight I had another of my favourite bellyache or moans.

Why, oH WHY in a documentary after each set of commercials do they have to give a repeat of what happened just before the commercial break.

It does seem to be mainly American documentaries. Possibly their viewers are not expected have a suffcient memory span to last 4 minutes.

I would agree were it not for the fact that the commercial breaks on "minority" channels seem to last longer than the programme segments....!

--

Pete

Thread: Will old electric motors ever have the fascination that IC engines do?
26/10/2020 16:05:52
Posted by PatMc on 26/10/2020 15:39:57:

IC engines don't have "soul" or "character" they have "characteristics" as do electric motors.

So are you telling me you've never cursed at a recalcitrant glow or diesel motor?

cheeky

--

Pete

26/10/2020 10:28:22

Electric motors may be convenient, but they have no SOUL!

Car manufacturers strive to make their cars as near perfect as possible (OK, and cheaply as possible at the same time! wink ). Because of that they are BORING!

Classic cars are often popular, not because they were particularly good, but because their defects gave them character!

IC engines can be cantankerous and rebellious, but they have CHARACTER! I have never heard anyone suggest that an electric motor has character!

Yes, I have a few electric models. Some of the fields I fly at are electric only. Electric is convenient for a quick "fix" at a local field. But for enjoyment, give me IC any day!

--

Pete

Thread: Get it off your chest.
23/10/2020 08:58:10

"Reality" TV shows! Especially anything with the word "celebrity" in the title!

I watch TV to escape from the dreariness of "reality". I don't want "celebrities" taking me back to a "reality" from which I'm trying to escape!

Definition of a "Celebrity": Someone famous for being famous!

--

Pete

Thread: The Gov't, CAA, BMFA & UAV legislation thread
22/10/2020 10:25:46

^^^^^^^^^

Very true!

--

Pete

Thread: What applications would I need on a lap top?
21/10/2020 17:50:54

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

What he said! wink

--

Pete

Thread: Best charger for 6S 5000mah LiPos
21/10/2020 15:55:13

Have a look (Google!) for ISDT chargers. I bought one of the smaller ones a few months ago, and it has no problem parallel charging 2x6S 5AH LiPos. It would probably do 3, if I had 3!

Larger ones are available! I bought the small one to take up the field if necessary, but its proven so good I've replaced my RC-D100 with it!

--

Pete

Support Our Partners
electricwingman 2017
CML
Sussex Model Centre
Subscribe now
Slec
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
NEW POLL - has the pandemic altered your event safety perceptions?
Q: Has the covid pandemic deterred you from attending shows and events in 2021?

No, I'll be attending just as many as I usually do
 No, but I'll choose my event with greater care
 Yes, I'll attend fewer events going forward
 Yes, I wont attend any where previously I have

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!