By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Peter Christy

Here is a list of all the postings Peter Christy has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Old Multiplex radio kit, any value?
03/03/2020 19:04:03

Most of it went. All the modern stuff we got quite good prices for, but the older stuff went mostly to enthusiasts for renovation / museum / converting to 2.4GHz. We knew we weren't going to get much for them, so tried to make sure they went to people who would appreciate them.

If you have a look here: **LINK**

you might even spot some of the stuff in the museum! The "Duo-Ten" in the reeds section came from a deceased modeller, and was pretty scruffy when they got it! Now its like new!

This site is run by some of the folks on the "Mode-Zero" site, and has all the details of how to convert older gear. I've done a couple of sets myself:

That's a Royal Classic (c.1969) and a Grundig "reed" set (c.1965) now both in regular use on 2.4 GHz.

Put an ad up on Mode-Zero and I'm sure someone will show an interest! Just don't expect shed loads of money!

But if you have any old "reed" sets in reasonable condition......

laugh

--

Pete

03/03/2020 16:34:22

Well, it won't be a case of simply plugging a module in to convert to 2.4 GHz, but since its a basic FM system, there will be a simple PPM signal leaving the encoder board. Its therefore a fairly simple mod to replace the existing RF board with a "hack" module, and off you go!

--

Pete

03/03/2020 11:32:54

Nothing wrong with that gear, Don, and its probably still perfectly serviceable as is. It would also be quite easy to convert to 2.4 GHz, should anyone wish to do that.

Its probably too modern to be considered a classic, but who knows? Someone, somewhere will want it!

Might be worth posting on "mode-zero", which is where most of the retro enthusiasts meet:

**LINK**

--

Pete

Thread: Merco Engines
27/02/2020 18:51:20

Hi Adam, my mistake - was typing in a hurry! Have sent another PM.....

--

Pete

Thread: Jumper 4in1 Range Check
27/02/2020 12:33:43

Thanks for that, Gary! It does sound about right. If the weather ever does finally improve, I'll do a ground range check and work out the indication at which signal is actually lost, add a safety margin, and then use that figure when setting up DSM-X stuff.

The built-in figures for FrSky receivers seem to work OK. I've never had a signal loss with FrSky, but do get the occasional warning when the antenna orientation is less than ideal. This is something I would expect at these frequencies! With the DSM-X, I was getting near constant warnings, despite never actually suffering a loss of signal. It was quite irritating! wink

As I say, not at the top of my list at the moment, but something I will look at in due course....

--

Pete

27/02/2020 08:59:13

One thing I found with my IRX module (similar, if not identical, to the Jumper) is that when using Orange DSM-X receivers, I was getting RSSI warnings when there was still a very acceptable signal level.

Its something that I need to look in to at some point (not high on my priority list at present!), but the level necessary to trigger the warning is clearly different between DSM-X (at least, the Orange version) and FrSky.

--

Pete

26/02/2020 09:09:21

Those are actually pretty good engines. I've got quite a few Super-Tigres, and they've all been excellent quality and reliable.

I might be interested, depending how much you want for it! wink

--

Pete

Thread: Probable scam?
26/02/2020 09:06:37

Hi Brian,

Yes, I'm with Plusnet, and when I rang to complain, they also offered me that same service (they are part of BT now).

However, the calls I was getting - all identical - came from a different (UK) number every time, making this system useless.

They have stopped for the moment. A week or so back, I was getting 2 or 3 a day! Either they realised they were wasting their time with my number, or someone in the telecoms chain has taken action. But no doubt they'll be back at some point....

--

Pete

26/02/2020 07:51:46

That is a Super-Tigre Como, not a Merco!

--

Pete

Thread: Probable scam?
24/02/2020 11:12:07

Recently my wife and I have been plagued with 'phone calls, all pre-recorded messages threatening 1) our internet is about to be cut off 2) HMRC have sent the police to arrest us and 3) the usual one about being involved in an accident.

All of these have asked us to "press 1" to speak to an "advisor". No doubt this would connect us to an expensive reverse charge line.

Doing a 1471 shows that identical calls come from different numbers, all around the country, so they are not easy to block (they never use the same number twice).

I've contacted our 'phone supplier, but there isn't much they can do about it other than offer a call blocking service. However, as the numbers are constantly changing, even this doesn't work.

As soon as we hear a recorded message, we just hang up, and it looks as if they have finally got the message - for the moment anyway.

I can well understand the vulnerable getting caught out by this, though!

--

Pete

Thread: FrSky/Taranis throttle trim
24/02/2020 11:04:41

Wayne: PM sent!

--

Pete

23/02/2020 17:37:47

Wayne,

Just a thought: When you select ccpm it will certainly inhibit the throttle trim for the pitch function, and you may have to re-enable it on the throttle.

The helicopter I was setting up was an old HeliBoy - mechanical mixing, not ccpm.

Nonetheless, I had to be very careful to select the correct inputs to the throttle and pitch channels to ensure no cross-over between the trims. I forget exactly what I did now - I'll try and get Companion up and have a look later - but its possible that you (or ccpm!) has implemented the throttle function in such a way as to by-pass the trim.

I don't think any of the OpenTx devs fly i/c helis, so its possible they've missed this!

--

Pete

23/02/2020 08:57:57

Hi Wayne,

I did have an issue with the throttle trim on an i/c helicopter, but it wasn't that the trim wasn't working! It was the fact that because of the way I'd applied the throttle curve, any adjustment to that curve had a dramatic effect on the idle - resulting in a "hot" start.

The whole saga can be found here: **LINK**

The mistake I made was following advice about general computer programming that I was taught as a college student! This was to apply any maths (ie: mixing!) late in the process to reduce any "rounding" errors. In this case, this was the wrong thing to do! Applying the curves at the input stage solved the problem, though I still had to separate the throttle and pitch functions.

I posted my setups as part of that thread, and the final version has worked well. Of course, that was all written a few years ago now (OpenTx-2.1.9) so you may have to play "catch-up" to copy it into a current version.

I've recently updated to the latest OpenTx, but haven't had chance to fly the model again due to the weather. However, if you have a problem, I will happily email you a copy of my current setup. Just bear in mind that it is currently untested on the latest version of OpenTx, and will need checking! PM me your email address if you need this.

Cheers,

--

Pete

Thread: Jammed OS engines
22/02/2020 08:50:14

I've used contaminated diesel or red diesel in the past. Both cheap and readily available. Nasty stuff, though! You don't want to get it on your hands!

I use a large Kilner jar, fill it with diesel, take the carb, backplate and plug off the engine, and suspend it in the jar for a few days. The carb can also go in, but is removed to allow the diesel to soak into the inlet side of the engine.

Has worked for me on a couple of "solid" engines.

--

Pete

Thread: Modes 1 or 2
15/02/2020 09:34:55

I'm sure I've said this before, but it bears repeating: Have you ever wondered just *why* we have mode 1 and mode 2? Well, it dates back to the days before we had proportional control at all (late 50s / early 60s).

Back then we had a system called "reeds" (for reasons that don't matter for this argument). This was a non-proportional system, and a transmitter typically looked like this:

Picture from RC Hall of Fame: **LINK**

The switches on the left moved up and down and operated the elevator and throttle. The switches on the right moved sideways, and operated aileron and rudder. Pressing a switch moved the control surface to its full deflection, and releasing it brought it back to the center. The servos were quite slow, so a reduced travel of the control surface could be achieved by "blipping" the relevant switch. The throttle was progressive rather than self-centering, and would move in the desired direction until the switch was released or maximum travel was reached.

Systems like this were "simultaneous" in that you could operate any left switch at the same time as a right switch. However, you could not operate two right or two left switches together. The switches were arranged to make this almost impossible, physically.

Systems like the one illustrated were high end systems - expensive, and usually only flown by experts. Note that to allow simultaneous operation of elevator and aileron (or rudder), the elevator had to be on the left, and the aileron (or rudder) on the right.

When proportional came along, many manufacturers eventually settled on the "two stick" arrangement that we still use today. However, most of the expert flyers - who were the early adopters - had got so use to having their elevator under their left thumb that they found switching to a more conventional layout difficult, if not impossible. Hence mode 1!

Those of us who hadn't been flying "reeds" that long before switching to proportional had less trouble switching, and adopted mode 2.

Areas of the country where multi-channel "reeds" had been popular and had resident experts to teach newcomers (Geoff Franklin in Leicester, Ed Johnson in Bristol, Peter Waters in Wales to name but a few) taught them mode 1, which is why it has hung on for so long.

Before "twin-stick" became adopted as the norm, a lot of early proportional systems used a single stick for all the aerodynamic controls. Indeed the system regarded as the very first fully proportional set used this, and was initially copied by most others:

Picture from RC Hall of Fame: **LINK**

Ailerons and elevator were controlled by the stick in mode 2 fashion, rudder controlled by twisting the knob on the end, and throttle by the two push buttons at the top right (or on later systems, by a separate slider on the side).

I was lucky enough to get hold of a "single-stick" transmitter some years ago:

I converted it to 2.4 GHz, and now fly all my aerobatic models with it. And I much prefer it to either mode 1 or 2!

laugh

--

Pete

Thread: The Gov't, CAA, BMFA & UAV legislation thread
13/02/2020 18:27:21

I can't see any "conspicuity devices" small or light enough to fit inside my .049 powered single-channellers being available in 3 years time!

On the other hand, something that could be clipped to the back of my Tx would make more sense.

In any event, given the landscape around most of the flying sites down here, you would need a satellite to be able to pick them up anyway!

Waste of time and money!

--

Pete

Thread: Centrifugal clutch pads - from where ?
06/02/2020 14:52:55

i/c helicopters use centrifugal clutches, and most helicopter suppliers keep strips of ferodo (or similar) for fixing worn clutches.

If you go to Midland Helicopters website and use their search engine for "clutch lining" it will show a number of options, though many appear to be out of stock at the moment.

Might narrow your search, though!

--

Pete

Thread: On a lighter note
03/02/2020 14:14:35
Posted by Piers Bowlan on 02/02/2020 17:29:43:

Peter, I always regretted selling my late father-in-law's Saab 9000 Aero. I had two 'good' cars at the time which both let me down subsequently in a big way. (Disco 3 engine threw a big end! - RIP). The build quality of the Aero was fantastic and it was fast smile d. I previously had owned a Saab 9000 CD which was uber reliable and built like a tank, so I should have known better than to 'dispose' of the Aero. crying

There aren't many good ones left! Most of them have been "tuned" to 300BHP and beyond - though how they manage to get that on the road is a mystery to me! Mine is stock, and its very easy to spin the wheels up, even in second and on a dry, sticky surface! Some have even had their engines removed and transferred into Astras! The mind boggles!

I was very lucky to find mine. A young-ish lad had it, and hadn't owned it long. I suspect the insurance was a bit high for him! The previous owner to him had been a mechanic at Haymills - the front for SAAB GB - and all the odd jobs that need doing at high mileage had been done by him.

You are right about it being built like a tank! Barring accidents, I think it will outlast me!

And NO! I have no intention of parting with it! Just as the only replacement for a DC-3 is another DC-3, so it is with a 9000 Aero too!

wink

--

Pete

Thread: FrSky Taranis - user chat
02/02/2020 13:40:15

I believe there is an updated board for the X10, but having looked at what is required to install it, I'm not going to bother! It doesn't appear to be a simple board swap.

And at the moment, no-one seems to have the receivers in stock, so the whole thing is probably a pointless exercise at present!
Mike: Thanks for all your hard work on this!
Personally, I haven't had any issues with the standard D16 protocol to date, and I suspect that the issues in Germany, Austria and Switzerland may have as much to do with local issues as anything else. I accept that there may be a bug in the system, but it only appears to manifest itself under very specific circumstances, possibly due to the local issues mentioned above.
I'm certainly not going to be upgrading anytime soon. Maybe when a revised version comes along I'll consider it, but my gut feeling is to stick with what has proven to be very reliable for the present!
--
Pete
Thread: On a lighter note
02/02/2020 13:26:55

The best car I've ever owned is my current "new" car, a 25 year old SAAB 9000 Aero (the quick one! My "old" car is a 1972 SAAB 96!)

I always thought of the 9000 as a large car - until I stopped at the lights alongside a new "Mini"! They really should have called it a "Maxi".

Nonetheless, the 9000 makes a great modeller's wagon! A couple of years ago I took it from South Devon to Pontefract for the retro meet:

In there is my "KingPin" (5ft span), Frog Jackdaw (5ft span), MicroMold Lark, Sub-Mini (half-size Super 60), and a Veron Mini-Robot. Plus all the support kit! And I only had to fold one seat down!

I can also get a Schluter HueyCobra in there without de-rigging it - though that doesn't leave much room for anything else!

On the Pontefract trip it turned in 46mpg - not bad for a big petrol engine - despite doing the speed limit wherever possible. When not carrying a delicate load it is quite capable of seeing off any BMW short of an M series, and even the odd Porsche - but it won't do 46 mpg if you drive it like that! laugh It is superbly comfortable, everything works, and burns no oil, despite the 216,000 miles on the clock! And the best part? I gave £1250 for it, 7 years ago!

Bargain!

--

Pete

Edited By Peter Christy on 02/02/2020 13:27:51

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Sussex Model Centre
Cambridge Gliding Club
electricwingman 2017
CML
Slec
CADMA
Wings & Wheels 2019
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us