By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Peter Christy

Here is a list of all the postings Peter Christy has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Latest CAA Update
28/08/2019 13:55:39

I hope anyone going to Sywell will be polite to the CAA. They have always been pretty model friendly in the past, and I believe they would be now, if it was left to them. Unfortunately, they take their orders from the DfT, and it is the DfT that are calling the shots on this one, leaving the CAA to take the flack.

So by all means express your views strongly, but bear in mind that it is almost certainly NOT the CAA's doing. And if there is a change of heart by the DfT, we will need the CAA on side!

--

Pete

28/08/2019 08:45:31

Posted by Cuban8 on 28/08/2019 07:35:37:

"At the end of the day, there is little option other than comply and pay up or stop model flying".

Until someone with an ounce common sense and a grip on reality in government, decides to scrap the whole stupid idea as uneconomic and unworkable.

Quite so! But we are talking about politicians here!

Never mind, lads! Come the revolution........

wink

--

Pete

Thread: X9D+ 2019 or Q X7S?
28/08/2019 08:29:09
Posted by Mike Blandford on 26/08/2019 15:22:17:

I'm very close to having this D16 firmware for D8 receivers fully working. I've started a thread on RCGroups where I'll be posting instruction and the firmware: **LINK**.........

Wow! That's a really interesting project, Mike! I take my hat off to you!

Not sure it will be much use to me though. Most of my converted vintage transmitters use the "hack" module, which is D8 (or V8) only. Shame they never made a D16 hack module.

I know its possible to use the "plug-in" module, suitably stripped, and this is something I may have to look at in the future. However, I have several transmitters that would need modifying if I were to go down this route. Maybe a project for the winter....!

smiley

--

Pete

Thread: Latest CAA Update
27/08/2019 17:43:58

Posted by Steve J on 27/08/2019 17:16:48:

Do you mean the Secretary of State?

Yes, that'll be him! I try to avoid politics and politicians as far as possible, so I'm not familiar with the current state of their respective titles! The last one I remember having anything to do with transport was Marples....!

angry

--

Pete

27/08/2019 15:51:53

The language used by the BMFA in their update (linked to at the start of this thread) makes for some interesting reading: "The Aviation Minister / DfT are still of the firm opinion that all model aircraft flyers (ie those over 18) should register as operators individually, and that it would not be appropriate for the Associations to register on their members' behalf ......" (My bold and italics)

That says to me that there is nothing in the regulation preventing this, just that the DfT never thought of that option, that its not covered in the legalese, and that they are now trying to dissuade associations from following this path. Translation: They cocked it up!

At the Nationals, the BMFA Chairman had a small update to this, which he announced while awarding trophies. He emphasised that nothing is certain yet, that discussions are on-going, but that the new Minister of Transport (the Baroness' boss) has released a significant sum of money to be spent on General Aviation, of which model flying is part. It is just possible that some of this money could be used to offset, either in part or in whole, the cost of registration.

I emphasise again that he stressed that nothing is certain at this point, and that discussions are ongoing. But it gave me at least, some hope that all is not yet lost.

The Minister for Transport probably has his hands full with the HS2 shambles at the moment (more bad news for him today, on that front!), but he has shown himself sympathetic to model flying in the past. I just hope he can bring his influence to bear on this before the deadline......

--

Pete

Thread: August Nationals 2019
25/08/2019 19:49:55

Martin: Not speaking on behalf of the BMFA, but the BMFA can do nothing until the RAF officially hand the airfield over. Since we are there by their grace and favour, it would not be wise to push them too hard.

There was a rumour, a while ago, that we would not be able to get access to Barkston at all in future, so we need to be grateful for what we have.

--

Pete

Thread: ASP 21 vs OS Max 25FP
22/08/2019 14:58:59

If noise is an issue, Just Engines do a range of "quiet" and "super-quiet" silencers for small 2-strokes. They have the OS fitting dimensions, but will also fit the clones, such as ASP.

**LINK**

--

Pete

Thread: Sennybridge jamming trial
22/08/2019 14:53:14

I notice it doesn't mention 459MHz either, which is the *legal* UHF control frequency! 433MHz is the EU frequency, and I'm not sure it has ever been approved for model control in the UK. Mind you, there have been so many changes to the regs in such a short space of time, its difficult to keep up....!

--

Pete

Thread: O S
22/08/2019 14:11:37

OS engines may be OK, but I don't like their carburetors! I always found them excessively fiddly to set up, right from my earliest Max 40 to my 70SXH heli engine. I've NEVER managed to get the latter to behave properly at all times!

Luckily, I have very few OS engines! Lots of Super-Tigres and German Webras (before they moved production to Austria). Indeed I have a Webra 61 that is now 50 years old, bought new, and still hauling a large, vintage aerobatic model around in style!

It will probably out-last me!

--

Pete

Thread: Hands free mobile calls
22/08/2019 14:04:19

Well, I don't know about anyone else, but my Garmin Satnav has been dumped in favour of the Google Maps app on my phone!

The 'phone SatNav has more up-to-date maps, its free, and it has far more up-to-date traffic information! The Garmin was supposed to navigate you around congestion, but it only told you about it once you were in it! The Android satnav is far better at this, and I now use it exclusively.

So is this use of a 'phone going to be banned? And what about those 'phones that connect to the car radio for true hands-free operation? How on earth is this going to be policed?

Nothing reduces the credibility of the law more than unenforceable regulation.

--

Pete

Thread: 3 wired switch, etc....
20/08/2019 18:42:56

Its not simply a matter of mAH, but also the internal resistance of the battery pack - ie: how much current can it actually deliver?

As Denis has pointed out, in days of yore we flew quite happily on 5 or 600mAH packs. But those were NiCads, and quite large physically. You might think that a modern 800mAH pack would suffice, but such a pack is likely to be AAA size cells, physically small, and the voltage may well sag under the load of 4 standard servos all wiggling at once.

I would suggest a 4-cell AA pack of either Eneloops or Vapextech of 2000mAH capacity. These will provide plenty of oomph for 4 standard servos, and don't self-discharge (something some NiMhs are prone to!). Don't be tempted to go for the higher capacity 2200s in the same cell size, as these tend to have a higher internal resistance.

I would also recommend investing in a peak-detect charger to charge them, though I see you already have some electric flight gear, so you may already have a suitable charger.

Best of luck!

--

Pete

Thread: Orange Receiver Telemetry Problem
18/08/2019 10:09:33
Posted by Roger Dyke on 18/08/2019 09:44:29:

In saying all of the above. I have never ever had any Holds (H) recorded or had any sign of glitches or non-control. The receivers have behaved perfectly.

Edited By Roger Dyke on 18/08/2019 09:45:57

I rest my case! It would appear that the recorded numbers are meaningless!

--

Pete

18/08/2019 08:47:34

Bear in mind that Orange "reverse engineer" the Spektrum protocol, so 100% compatibility can never be guaranteed. And if Spektrum upgrade the protocol, it can have knock-on effects.

Its well known that the Orange Tx modules don't play nicely with UMX BNF models (the throttle doesn't work!), so I'm not too surprised that some functions on other Spektrum / Orange combinations suffer from oddities after an upgrade! Having said all that, the Orange stuff seems generally to be pretty good.

Moving on to the original question, have you noticed any loss of control on the flights where telemetry logs showed a problem? It is possible to get too fixated on numbers and miss the bigger picture. What matters is that the system actually provides reliable control, numbers not withstanding.

My experience with another brand of 2.4 GHz will give me RSSI beeps long before the signal reaches a critical level, as I discover when carrying out ground range checks prior to flying. In the air, I will get the occasional beep due to aerial orientation issues, but never suffer a loss of control.

After all, we managed for decades without any form of telemetry at all, and nobody worried about it then! I suspect that if we'd had telemetry back in the 27 MHz days, nobody would have dared to fly at all!

wink

--

Pete

Thread: Drones in the news - again...
17/08/2019 14:10:27

Mark: No follow up on the local news website. Mind you, its a pretty poor website, so I wouldn't really expect it to actually follow up a story. I suppose they *might* put something up if the pilots ever appear in court. I'll keep an eye open...

Moving on, I see the police have finally 'fessed to the fact that most of the Gatwick drone sightings were of police drones sent up to try and catch the original (unconfirmed) sightings! **LINK**

Interestingly, most of the comments under the article seem broadly along the lines of the fact that the original drone never existed at all - something that most of us felt likely right from the start!

--

Pete

15/08/2019 08:00:01

...and for all the wrong reasons!

**LINK**

--

Pete

Thread: Merco 61 muffler?..
14/08/2019 21:12:59

Might not be quite what you are after, but I fitted a BCM Sport muffler to a Super-Tigre 45 when I damaged the ST one in a heavy landing (oops!). **LINK**

Its the tubular ones toward the end that you want. Its a strap-on fitting, so no worries about the bolt holes. I tried the 40/50 size one against my Webra .61 Blackhead before I fitted it to the ST, and it was a perfect match. Should fit the Merco too.

I reckon a modern, Schnuerle-ported 45 is about the equivalent of an old school 61, in terms of power, and it looks as if the same rule of thumb applies to the muffler fitting as well.

Not the cheapest of silencers, but very quiet!

--

Pete

Thread: X9D+ 2019 or Q X7S?
14/08/2019 21:04:11

Thanks for the clarification, Mike!

I guessed that it would be a choice between keeping "D" or having Access as there are only so many protocols you can squeeze into the available space!

However, I have quite a few models equipped with "D" series stuff, and also several "Old School" transmitters (including a Grundig "reed" outfit) using the "D" protocol, so I think I'll be sticking with what I've got anyway!

--

Pete

14/08/2019 08:42:54

I think basically it comes down to personal choice on the styling. There doesn't seem to be much difference spec-wise.

The QX7S has a layout more similar to the X10S, which would make a transition easier in future, should you decide to upgrade at some point. On the other hand, the X9D+ has the new Access protocol, which might perhaps make it more "future-proof". (Information on Access is limited at the moment, so I have no idea how much advantage this brings in real terms!)

I would expect QX7s to have Access in the near future as well. It may even be possible to do a firmware upgrade to the new protocol at some point, as I seem to recall reading somewhere that FrSky would offer this to hardware that was capable of supporting it.

Having mentioned "future-proofing", FrSky seem better than most at supporting older protocols, even the original V8 receivers are still available.

So as I say, I think it will eventually boil down to which styling you prefer - and that is a matter of personal taste!

Either way, you will have made a good choice! wink

--

Pete

Edited By Peter Christy on 14/08/2019 08:44:18

Thread: Commons Science and Technology Committee Enquiry on Drones
13/08/2019 16:55:52

Steve J: The point I was trying to make is that, regardless of Brexit, we will remain an EASA member. As such we will be bound by its rules, whether we are in or out of the EU.

Jeremy: Thanks for your clarifications. Many years ago - for my sins - I was a union rep. (I didn't volunteer, I just didn't step back quickly enough!) I well recall "consultations" which were carried out because they were legally required, but at the same time the company was under no obligation to implement the results of the "consultation".

I guess the same applies here.

Nevertheless, I still have the option to vote with my feet, and the implementation date being in the depths of winter, I will feel under no pressure to register until I feel the need to go flying again! Probably not before spring at the earliest!

--

Pete

13/08/2019 15:49:23

Steve, EASA has little to do with the EU, and we will still be a member, Brexit notwithstanding. Having signed up to EASA, we are bound by their regulations and recommendations.

I suspect the "for now" is because until the EASA rules come in to effect, the DfT can (perhaps?) ignore them. Once the EASA rules come into effect, the UK will be bound by them.

There have been several comments about the DfT regulations needing amendment in the near future, and I suspect this is what they are talking about.

It would seem to be common sense to ensure that you are EASA compliant from the outset. Sadly, Baroness Vere seems to posses very little of this admirable quality!

--

Pete

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
electricwingman 2017
CML
Pepe Aircraft
Gliders Distribution
Wings & Wheels 2019
Cambridge Gliding Club
Slec
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
New Poll - Sticky situations...
Q: How often - when using superglue - do you end up with it on your fingers?

Every time
 Occasionally
 Sometimes
 Rarely
 Never
 Wear rubber gloves

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us