By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Peter Christy

Here is a list of all the postings Peter Christy has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: FrSky DJT 2.4ghz Module For JR Transmitters
26/01/2020 09:38:14

I haven't got a Plus SE, but a DJT module works fine in my early Taranis and in my relatively new X10s.

Basically, if your Tx has a JR module socket in the back, it should be fine! Remember to set the protocol correctly when setting up the module - usually they want PPM. The naming of this may vary depending on which version of OpenTx you have, and whether the "multi-protocol" option was selected when it was created. (Some multi-protocol modules will talk to the Tx directly in serial digital, rather than PPM, and OpenTx will offer this option if specced accordingly.)

--

Pete

Thread: FrSky Major Update for most TX and RX
26/01/2020 09:25:12

As far as I'm aware, D8 and V8 (the original, non-telemetry system) are unaffected by this glitch. I too have quite a bit of D8 gear!

The legal position of D8 is a bit of a grey area! Under "grandfather rights", if you purchased your transmitter before January 2015, D8 is perfectly legal. (There was a "transition period", but lets keep it simple!)

If you bought your Tx AFTER Jan 2015, then you are probably breaching EU regs if you use D8. However, this would only be a problem in the highly unlikely event of someone actually checking!

I'm happily using D8 "hack" modules to convert vintage transmitters, and would quite happily argue my case in court should it ever come to that! Frankly, Ofcom have far more important things to worry about.

Also, I believe that, post-brexit, should the BMFA and the other organisations request it, there is a reasonable chance that the current restrictions on pre-2015 specification gear could be lifted. At present, Ofcom's hands are tied by EU regulations, but otherwise their policy is to grant use provided none of the other stakeholders (other users of the band) objects. Since 2.4 GHz is unlicensed, there really shouldn't be an issue. But note that this is my *personal* opinion!

That covers the legal aspects, I think. Moving on to the practical issues, I haven't updated my systems yet - and don't intend to for a while as, so far, I haven't had an issue! I've learned the hard way never to use "version 1.0" of any software! Wait for the first batch of updates to come along! Having said that, MikeB - who does an awful lot of work on this, and is better qualified than I on this subject, says that the upgrade doesn't affect D8 in the transmitters, but *does* prevent X-series receivers from being forced into D8 mode. Again, its possible that a future firmware revision may fix this.

Hope this helps!

(Mike posted whilst I was writing this! smiley )

--

Pete

Edited By Peter Christy on 26/01/2020 09:26:05

Thread: Spektrum DX6i Throttle issues
25/01/2020 13:05:20
Posted by Gary Manuel on 25/01/2020 12:34:50:
Posted by Colin Carpenter on 25/01/2020 12:23:51:

Always disconnect Rx/model before turning off tx ! Otherwise ☠️☠️😂😂Colin

I disagree. In fact, it's a mandatory safety test at our field - to test that the fail-safe is set right.

Obviously hold onto your model whilst doing it - just in case fail-safe is wrong way round!

Yeah, but the OP appears to be flying a helicopter! Your club's "safety test" is a recipe for disaster in that scenario!!!

--

Pete

Thread: Upgrading Windows7 to Win10 for free
24/01/2020 16:23:20
Posted by Jon - Laser Engines on 24/01/2020 11:37:57:Linux is hopeless for those who are used to windows and just want things to work as they always have. Installing windows, yes its a bit annoying but honestly you could have the system rebuilt in half an hour if its got a half decent spec. I have recently been on a binge of installing windows and its really not that time consuming. Not like the old days of windows 98!

Sorry, Jon. I have to disagree with you there! That might have been the case a decade or so ago, but a modern Linux distro loads in a fraction of the time it takes to install Win 10, is more stable and only updates when you let it!

I agree gaming can be a pain, but I don't use my computer for that!

As an example: My wife is a complete technophobe! You've heard of people with "green fingers"? Well, she's the exact opposite when it comes to anything electronic or mechanical! As soon as she touches anything hi-tech, it immediately starts to misbehave!

Her computer had windows on it, and it was nothing but trouble. I was constantly having to sort it out. In the end, I got fed up , wiped windows and installed Mageia Linux. Haven't had to touch it since!

She had no problems at all switching from Windows to Linux, and I doubt many other people would have either. Yes, it used to be a "geeks" system, but that was back in the days when all model aeroplanes were noisy!

We've got quieter, and Linux has overtaken windows in the usability stakes. Linux has progressed, where windows has just got even more bloated and slow.

cheeky

--

Pete

24/01/2020 08:49:24

Exactly! I ditched windoze decades ago, and have never had a problem since!

--

Pete

Thread: New old stock - SC30FS - just purchased.
21/01/2020 16:54:30

Never had a problem running an OS20FS inverted in an Attila. Just be careful not to flood it and cause a hydraulic lock when starting.

I've got an ASP30FS as well (running upright), but it seems a bit gutless. It seems happier on straight fuel, rather than the recommended 5%. On 5% it sometimes sounds like its tightening up in flight, which it doesn't do on straight. Maybe it just needs a lot more running in....

--

Pete

Thread: Theory of the operation of a servo
21/01/2020 16:49:14

True enough, Mike!

The problem is that I'm old enough to remember *real* analogue systems - Space Control, Sampey 404, Orbit (all American), and in the UK, Flight Link and Staveley.

They offered good interference rejection, but were inferior in every other measurable way - though the Staveley was probably the best of the bunch.

These were genuine analogue systems where the servos were controlled by a varying voltage, not by pulse width, and thus really deserved the name "analogue". We mis-use the terms "analogue" and "digital" for our current generation of servos, because in reality, they aren't really either, but have some characteristics common to both.

Sorry, but this terminology is a pet hate of mine! devil

--

Pete

21/01/2020 14:34:42

Nigel: Yes, all quite true!

I really didn't want to get into concepts like velocity feedback and damping because I would imagine many readers eyes would have been glazing over already! wink

Its actually not too difficult to apply a crude form of velocity damping to a conventional "analogue" servo by feeding some of the back emf from the motor (during the "off" period) to the pulse stretchers, and most amplifiers do this. It helps in controlling overshoots on light loads.

--

Pete

21/01/2020 12:53:29

Any properly designed servo amp will apply FULL and CONSTANT voltage across the motor if the error is more than about 10% (typically). This is true of a genuine analogue servo, a PWM "analogue" servo or a "digital" servo.

True analogue servos have not been available since the demise of Flight Link and the Staveley analogue system.

On a true analogue system, when the error is less than 10%, the voltage across the motor is reduced, and becomes proportional to the error. This is why true analogue systems suffered from poor centering that varied with load.

On a PWM "analogue" servo, or indeed a "digital" one, when the error is less than 10% (approx) the motor gets a pulsed drive, still at full voltage, but with a mark/space ratio proportional to the remaining error. This provides full torque for brief periods, improving the centering under varying loads.

The main difference between a PWM "analogue" servo and a "digital" one is the rate at which the motor is "pulsed" at low errors (less than 10% typically). On an "analogue" servo, the rate will be around 16-20mS (50-60Hz). On a "digital" servo it will be higher, maybe as high as 300Hz. However, the "digital" servo will still only receive updates from the transmitter at around 50Hz, unless it is either connected to a high-speed gyro, or the receiver has been programmed to a high frame rate.

In short, the main difference between any of the 3 different types of servo is only noticeable when the error is less than around 10%. If the error is greater than 10%, all will behave the same - all other factors being equal.

--

Pete

Edited By Peter Christy on 21/01/2020 12:55:23

Thread: Synthetic instead of caster oil?
19/01/2020 13:07:22

I see a number of people here differentiating between "old" and "new" engines, when specifying which oil to use. I think we need to be careful here. If by "old" you mean "vintage" (Frog 500s and the like), then there may be a case for some castor - but I'm not convinced.

To give an example, I'm running a pre-Blackhead Webra 61 dating from late 67 / early 68 (can't remember exactly when I bought it, but it was around then!) on Bekra - pure synthetic - with no issues at all. Similarly I'm running an old OS Max 40 from around 1973 on it. No problems at all. And then there's all the Cox .049s.

Basically, my experience is that anything made in the last 55 years is fine on full synthetic! And I wouldn't dream of allowing castor anywhere near them, nowadays!

--

Pete

18/01/2020 11:53:11
Posted by Jon - Laser Engines on 18/01/2020 11:00:06:
I say two oils, but so far the only comparison has been between one oil and one manufacturer. Klotz make a number of different oils and some, like super techniplate, are very much inferior due their castor oil content.

Quite correct, which is why Bekra uses plain Techniplate, which contains no castor.

IIRC, it also contains small amount of other synthetics as well, as each synthetic has a working temperature range. I was told that these small amounts of other synthetics (may well be ML70) provide some protection outside of Klotz's range - for example during a prolonged lean run.

Certainly, my experience had been that with standard size motors (ie: up to .90 size), nothing compares with Bekra. Clearly larger motors may need less oil, and for bigger engines I have no direct experience.

--

Pete

18/01/2020 10:22:23

Thanks for the update, Mike!

That's a pain, stopping X series receivers binding in D8 mode! I've got at least one set up like that, so that I can fly it with my single-stick Tx, using a "hack" module. Of course, if FrSky brought out a D16 hack module, it would solve all my problems, but I suspect that if they were going to, we would have seen it by now!

I wonder how long they'll keep producing D-series receivers....

--

Pete

Thread: Theory of the operation of a servo
17/01/2020 16:16:21

P.S. Should have added (for the benefit of OP):

A "digital" servo will work with either a low or high frame rate system. An "analogue" servo will only work on a low (standard) frame rate, and may be damaged if used at a high frame rate.

All 35 MHz systems are standard frame rate, and most 2.4GHz systems put out a standard frame rate unless specifically instructed otherwise. Some gyros output a high frame rate.

--

Pete

17/01/2020 16:07:09

I hate the terms "analogue" and "digital" when referring to our servos, as neither term is strictly accurate.

Early proportional RC systems were truly analogue, and supplied a varying voltage from the receiver to the servo. Those early servos were REAL analogue, and bear no relation to anything currently in use.

Modern systems became known as "digital" because the signal was either off or on (0 or 1), however, the varying pulse width is (sort of) analogue.

The main difference between between a standard ( "analogue" ) servo and a "digital" one is that the "digital" one uses speed controller technology to drive the motor. This makes it relatively independent of the frame rate of the transmitter. The amplifier in a standard servo will only work correctly if the frame rate of the pulses it receives are within a fairly narrow window, in the 50 - 60 Hz region. Both work on a variable pulse width control signal.

The original (truly) analogue RC systems were much less sensitive to interference than the "digital" systems that succeeded them. However, they suffered from fairly slow response times, neutral drift and it was very difficult to make a system with more than four channels.

Even four channels was a challenge, and Kraft spent years trying to produce an analogue system, before giving up and going "digital".

"Digital" systems weren't so good on interference rejection, but offered better response times, better centering, little or no drift, and many channels. They were also cheaper to produce, as all the circuits for the different channels was the same. You only had to design one channel and then you could "daisy chain" the rest.

So PLEASE can we be careful when referring to analogue and digital servos, as neither term is really correct!

[Rant mode /off] devil

--

Pete

Edited By Peter Christy on 17/01/2020 16:08:21

17/01/2020 15:43:12

I, too, still have my original DSX-9 and its still giving sterling service. However, it doesn't have telemetry - which may or may not be a good thing - and it isn't upgradeable. Neither are the receivers.

At least the FrSky is upgradeable, and relatively easily at that. And whilst they may not be the most communicative, they do seem to react quickly to any problems that occur.

From reading a translation of the German website, it appears that most of the issues have occurred in Germany, Austria and Switzerland, countries that share a lot of common borders and geography. They are also - I suspect - countries that are more eco-friendly than many others, with a larger percentage of electric flyers. This probably means that many clubs operate closer to civilisation and potential sources of interference than is common in the UK. Lets face it, most of us fly way out in the sticks!

For that reason, I suspect that the issue is not as pressing here as it may be in other countries.

Having said that, I probably will upgrade, but not immediately. I learned long ago, never to use "Vers-1.0" of any software. Always wait for at least the first bugfix! wink

One or two of my models have rather inaccessible receivers (the downside of scale foamies!), which is an active discouragement! Also, a lot of my models are still on D8, and I want to be sure that this upgrade won't remove that protocol from my transmitters before upgrading!

--

Pete

Thread: Trendsetters and Iconic Models over the Years?
17/01/2020 15:26:29

Well, the "Taurus" dominated fixed wing-aerobatics for many years, and clearly influenced many other designers. On that basis, I would think it deserves to be regarded as a trendsetter, iconic AND common - at least in 60s aerobatic circles!

--

Pete

Thread: Synthetic instead of caster oil?
16/01/2020 08:31:43

I run all my engines - from Cox .049s to 4-strokes - on Model Technics Bekra fuel. The main oil constituent is Klotz, no castor whatsoever, and no problems.

Although sold as a helicopter fuel, it works fine in all my engines, ancient and modern! Helicopters generally run hotter than fixed wing, so if the fuel will work in a heli, it will have no problems in a fixed wing!

--

Pete

Thread: No Auto Rotation
13/01/2020 09:39:12

Even if the pitch is set negative with respect to the hub, it will still be positive with respect to the *airflow*, which is the important bit!

Remember, the disk is tilted back so that the air flows up through it.

My experience with autogyros is limited, but I have a lot of helicopter time! More negative pitch will accelerate the blades to speed quicker, but the rotational speed will be slower. As you increase the pitch, the blades will spin faster, but take longer to get there - bit like using a higher or lower gear on a car. Eventually, if you increase the pitch too much, the blades will slow down - like over-gearing a car.

At our sizes, autorotational forces are small, and need all the encouragement they can get! Airfoil section is fairly important, and a flat plate is unlikely to work well!

--

Pete

Edited By Peter Christy on 13/01/2020 09:39:38

Thread: Upgrading Windows7 to Win10 for free
13/01/2020 09:30:48

I ditched Windows years ago in favour of Linux - readily and legally available for free! Never looked back or regretted it!

If you are a technophobe try this: **LINK**

If you are familiar with computers, I recommend Slackware - but get the -current (development) version, which although marked as a development version is far more stable than windoze!

--

Pete

Thread: Dog harassment while flying!
11/01/2020 10:03:35

This happened in the mid to late 70's: I was teaching myself to fly helicopters (very few others could fly them back then!) and as I worked on shift, I often had days off during the week. There were some large, local playing fields where a heli club used to meet at week-ends. These were usually deserted on weekdays, so I would find myself a quiet spot, and start practising.

I'd got to the stage where I could hover okay-ish, and just about stagger around a circuit, so I was practising "circuits and bumps".

Fuel was starting to get a bit low, so I decided to land, shut-down and re-fuel. As I was approaching and coming back to the hover, a dog appeared out of nowhere, and started jumping up, trying to grab my heli!

I opened up the throttle and flew round another circuit, hoping the dog would lose interest, but no, as I set up for landing, there was this dog again, still trying to grab the heli!

By this time fuel is getting worryingly low (fixed pitch heli, so no chance of autorotation - even I had been capable of it!). I decided to fly off slowly up wind, hoping the dog would follow, make quick turn, and land before the dog could get back!

This worked, and finally I got the heli down and shut off the motor. However, this heli had a very free transmission, and the blades would keep whirling for some time. By this time the dog was running back towards the heli, so I ran to put myself between dog and heli to prevent a gruesome accident!

As I stood there trying to stop the dog getting at the heli, I was struck from behind by an umbrella, and heard an angry female voice shouting "Get that thing away from my dog!", and how she was going to call the police, etc!

I replied to the little, old lady that she was welcome to call the police, as there was nothing illegal in what I was doing. However, I pointed out that there WAS a bye-law that said that all dogs had to be kept on a lead in the playing fields, and that if she didn't keep her animal under control, I was going to call them myself!

She stormed off in a huff, muttering that it shouldn't be allowed.

I never saw her again, even though I regularly went up to those playing fields to practice.

--

Pete

Edited By Peter Christy on 11/01/2020 10:04:38

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Support Our Partners
Sussex Model Centre
Wings & Wheels 2019
CML
Slec
Cambridge Gliding Club
CADMA
electricwingman 2017
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us