By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Peter Christy

Here is a list of all the postings Peter Christy has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: FrSky Taranis - user chat
01/12/2019 10:31:57

Glad you got it sorted!

See Mike's post above about switching to EU. It sounds as if the new RF module has both, and just needs a script running to switch. I know he's talking about an X9Lite, but I can't believe they would be using a different RF module in different Txs. It would push the cost of compliance testing too high!

--

Pete

Thread: The Gov't, CAA, BMFA & UAV legislation thread
01/12/2019 10:27:43

Posted by Lima Hotel Foxtrot on 01/12/2019 09:49:20:

This is the club that will only let you fly if your TX/RX are the same brand. They sure do love some pettifogging faffing around in that club.

Heaven knows what they'd do if I turned up with some of my home-made gear, then!

wink

--

Pete

30/11/2019 12:28:07

We didn't insist on it at our AGMs, just recommended it. Anyone who wanted to do it the old fashioned way was welcome to, but the look on the membership secs face when he realised he was going to have to get approval from anyone wanting to do it that way was enough to dissuade the small minority who were unsure.

In any event, they all know who to call for help with any problems, and although its early days, so far none have needed it.

As I say, its more fear of the unknown than any inability. Once enough confidence has been plucked up to try it, they wonder what all the fuss was about!

And again, anyone capable of setting up a modern radio should have no problems at all.

--

Pete

30/11/2019 09:22:32

In my recent experience, most of the nervousness suffered by members about the renewal system evaporates as soon as they try it.

I will be turning 70 early next year, and in at least two of the clubs I belong to, that makes me one of the youngest members! Nonetheless, at the two recent AGMs I have attended, once the procedure was explained - carefully and slowly - everyone was happy. At the club at which I'm chairman (admittedly a very small one), I hooked a laptop up to a large screen and demonstrated the processes involved. The very next day, one member (who is older than me, and a self professed technophobe) took the BMFA Competency test and passed. He doesn't have a computer or an email, so he had to use his wife's, but he still managed it with no difficulty.

It is simply fear of the unknown.

Once you try it, you will find it is easier than you expect. And even for those of us who are of advancing years, it is mental challenges that keep the mind alive!

If you can master a modern computer radio - even at a basic level - then the registration processes should hold no terrors!

Keep calm and carry on!

--

Pete

29/11/2019 17:39:00

PS: The big difference between registering via the BMFA and via the CAA is that the BMFA asks if your aircraft carries a camera or not.

This may be a useful statistic to have in the not too distant future.

The BMFA have been working overtime on this for a long period, and whilst I agree that we were lucky with the change of Secretary of State, being prepared when that happened was no accident of fortune.

For heaven's sake, stop knocking the BMFA. It may not be a perfect organisation. Nothing made by man is. But none of the other organisations could have done what the BMFA has managed to achieve, and with a very limited budget and manpower.

--

Pete

29/11/2019 17:30:40

I have attended two club AGMs since last Saturday. At the first, there were only two members who didn't have a suitable competence certificate. Since then, both have taken the BMFA online test and passed, despite one of them being a self confessed computerphobe!

At both AGMs it was decided that since all the members had internet access, it would be up to members to handle their own BMFA renewals via the portal. This would considerably reduce the strain on membership secs, who now only have to worry about getting club subs in.

All the members of both clubs were happy with this (as were the membership secs!) as it leaves control in their own hands, and they have all been thoroughly briefed on what they need to do and when. Contact details were provided for anyone who might have queries, but so far none have emerged.

Simple, easy and efficient!

--

Pete

29/11/2019 14:47:12
Posted by Steve J on 29/11/2019 08:50:41:
Posted by Peter Christy on 29/11/2019 08:43:19:

There's a lot of inaccuracies in that article, so I wouldn't place too much faith in it.

Please list the inaccuracies in that article for those of us who aren't as well informed as you are.

1) "UK drone pilots must register their details with the Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) by the end of 29 November or face a fine of £1,000."

Not true. If you are a member of one of the recognised model flying associations, you can register when you renew your membership - anytime up to the end of December.

Also, if you are not intending to fly, there is no need to register. Possession is not the offence. Flying it without registration or a suitable exemption is.

2) "In December 2018, drone sightings on the runways at Gatwick Airport caused havoc for thousands of Christmas travellers."

The only confirmed drone sightings at this incident were of police drones. There is no evidence of any malicious drone activity taking place. Perhaps not totally wrong as written, but certainly misleading.

Basically, very sloppy reporting.

--

Pete

Thread: Horus X10 Express
29/11/2019 10:43:25

Tim & David: Thanks for you input! Its not my transmitter, but that of a fellow club member. He brought it to me at our AGM as he'd managed to do the hardware change OK, but couldn't get the software to "stick" in mode 1.

I managed to set up a "template" model in mode 1, but when we selected another new model, it went back to mode 2 again! As I said, I know little of FrOs, as I switched mine to OpenTx almost as soon as I got it - and I'm mode 2 anyway, so wouldn't come across the problem.

I only had his transmitter in my hands for half-an-hour, while I tried to figure it out, and no manual or any other guide, so I was guessing a lot! I'll be seeing him again next week probably, so I'll see how he is getting on.

I just thought I'd take advantage of this discussion to see if anyone else had run into the problem. It sounds as if I missed something during the setup, but it will have to wait until I see him again during the week. In the meantime, we have a work-around!

Again, many thanks, folks!

--

Pete

29/11/2019 08:53:29

One of our club members has just bough an X10S Express, and is insistent on sticking with FrOs. He flies Mode 1. Switching the hardware to Mode 1 was quite easy, but none of us can figure out how to make Mode 1 the default for new models in FrOs. (I have an X10S, but switched it to OpenTx almost immediately after purchase.)

We can make a model Mode 1, but have to do this each time a new model is created. The only way we have found so far is to create a Mode 1 template, then copy this to a new location each time a new model is required.

Is there really no way to set Mode 1 as a default?

Everyone else down here (including me!) flies Mode 2 and OpenTx, so this is the first time we've encountered the problem!

--

Pete

29/11/2019 08:43:19

There's a lot of inaccuracies in that article, so I wouldn't place too much faith in it. I reckon someone has added an extra "0"...!

--

Pete

Thread: Is it Just my impession?
28/11/2019 15:32:33

Perhaps its an age thing (and don't take this the wrong way, as I have no idea of your age!), but I wholeheartedly agree with Erfolg!

"Back in the day", models were cheap and the radio gear was expensive. Now its the other way around!

I have a couple of scale "foamies" - a Messerschmidt Komet 163 and a Spitfire - both by Durafly. They both fly well and are quiet - ideal for a calm summers evening. I guess these were reasonable value for money, as they came complete with all servos, retracts (on the Spit), motors, etc. But I always feel like I'm cheating when I fly them!

Since I retired a few years back, I've done numerous "small" builds (2-3ft span) and two "big" builds - both in the 5ft span region - from plans: A KingPin (Aerobatic) and Jackdaw (sport cabin). I was rather shaken by the bill for balsa for the two big ones!

For some reason, I get far more satisfaction from flying the ones I've built myself than the foamies, even though the Spit and Komet fly really well.

Again, like Erfolg, I have no interest whatsoever in large models - say more than 6ft span. I have certainly no interest in large ARTFs, though whenever I've gone to the local model shops in search of balsa, that's all they seem to have in stock! Where do they find fields big enough to fly these? (Or cars to carry them?) I live in a relatively rural area, yet most model clubs around here do not permit power flying on Sundays, or many other days of the week!

Decent quality, attractive design kits seem to have completely vanished!

Engines in the .15-.60 sizes seem almost unobtainable these days - certainly at reasonable prices - but luckily I have quite a good stock of old ones in good order. Worst of all is the unavailability of decent finishing materials - like genuinely fuel proof paint or nylon style covering, especially since the demise of Solarlac, Solartex and Clearcote.

I can't believe its all down to a declining market, as the market for Super 60s and the like was pretty small back in the 60s, but manufacturers still managed to make a living from them. Surely, with the increase in population since then - not to mention the better automated tools available - it ought to be even easier nowadays.

I just hope we are seeing the bottom of the trough in the market, and that from here, things can only look up!

--

Pete

Thread: Aeromaster
28/11/2019 11:39:09

Another worth considering is the "Stringalong", by Frank Knowles. Its not on Outerzone, but was a Radio Modeller plan IIRC, in the mid 60's, so might be available from Sarik.

I built two, back in the day, and it was a very nice flyer. I still have the fuselage and tail (wings were damaged in a cross-wind landing on a gusty day!) awaiting restoration! Mine was "adequately" powered by a Webra 61 Blackhead.

Its a lot simpler to build than the Aeromaster!

It was designed for competition aerobatics, and I recall seeing the designer flying one at the Nats around 1966/7 time, though it looks more like a WW1 Fokker!

Should go like a rocket with a 91 up front!

The pictures show my first one (around 1968/9), which was sadly destroyed on its second flight when the brand new Simprop radio suffered a total failure due to poor soldering in the battery pack! The second one used my Bonner Digimite (the radio the SImprop was meant to replace), before eventually being upgraded to a reliable "red box" Sprengbrook radio! I modified both to four inset ailerons instead of the original two strip ailerons on the bottom wing only. One central servo in the bottom wing worked the lot.

The roll rate was quite fast!

--

Pete

Edited By Peter Christy on 28/11/2019 11:41:28

Thread: Graupner SJ close down German office
25/11/2019 18:38:05

I don't think Graupner ever designed radio gear. This is my Variophon/Varioton "reed" set which I bought in 1965 - still in good working order!

And that was preceded by the Bellaphon range - all designed and built by Grundig (alas also no longer around!). As Erfolg notes, the Varioprop range were also made by Grundig, although the later MC range were heavily based on JR.

Their kits were superb, but not cheap! Real "Rolls-Royce" quality. I had a few down the years, and wish I could still get them. As with so many modelling items, there seems to be a dearth of high quality, "standard" size kits out there these days. Plenty of huge warbirds, etc, but very little for the club modeller.

<sigh!>

--

Pete

25/11/2019 11:46:45
Posted by Steve J on 25/11/2019 11:13:25:
Posted by Martin Harris on 25/11/2019 10:57:32:

Curious expiry date - anticipated processing time for the bulk upload?

That was my reaction, but I'm a bit worried if they think that it will take them three weeks to sort out the bulk import.

Maybe they are just being cautious. Its the first time anything like this has been attempted, and in view of the recent chaos in a number of high street banks when they've "updated" their systems, I don't blame them!

--

Pete

25/11/2019 11:42:12

Thanks for that update, Mike! There's not a lot of info out there yet on ACCESS.

I see FrSky are advertising upgrade RF boards for the X10(S), but the pdf manual doesn't reveal much at all - nor is there any sign of them being in stock anywhere yet.

Also, having just bought an RX8R-Pro myself, the sticker on it says EU-LBT (got it from T9). The instructions say default is D16 and that D8 can be used by jumping pins during bind. It bound instantly in D16 mode.

I wonder if GG has a non-ACCESS Rx and is trying to bind it to an ACCESS Tx? He says he's flashed the receiver, but not which firmware he used.

Too many variables to offer an accurate remote diagnosis!

--

Pete

Edited By Peter Christy on 25/11/2019 11:42:51

25/11/2019 10:18:26

GG: Sorry for the delay, the topic vanished off the front page before I realised you'd posted an update.

If you are using ACCESS, the binding procedure is somewhat different from before, and there is a good guide here: ACCESS binding

If this doesn't work, it maybe because we don't actually know what firmware is in your Tx! We're assuming its non-EU, but we don't know for sure. Be aware that the firmware for the RF board has nothing to do with OpenTx or FrOS. OpenTx is the bit which governs the encoder functions (model memories, stick modes, etc) The RF board firmware controls - er - the RF board (D16, ACCESS, etc).

I would recommend that you flash the Tx RF board AND Rx to a common standard so that you know that everything is the same. Unless you have good reason not to, I would recommend using the EU firmware, as this is well proven and reliable.

Now I have no experience with ACCESS, but the more recent versions of OpenTx can flash the Tx RF module from OpenTx itself, without having to worry about connecting to a PC. The process is dead easy and there is a guide here: Flash RF module

You can also flash receivers from the Taranis, using a special lead connected to the module bay: Rx update

I note that you've already flashed the receiver, so you probably know how to do this anyway, but you can also do it over-the-air with receivers using the ACCESS protocol, but I haven't seen a guide for this yet.

One final warning: Just make doubly sure that you have not only the right firmware for both your Tx and Rx, but that the two MATCH! (EU, non-EU, ACCESS capable, etc)

Hope this helps!

--

Pete

Edited By Peter Christy on 25/11/2019 10:20:03

Thread: CAA or BMFA test to comply with OP & FLY ID
25/11/2019 09:31:34

The (small) club of which I'm Chairman has just held its AGM. Our Treasurer was concerned at having to deal with BMFA and CAA registrations and checking whether everyone had the necessary certificates or not.

We therefore decided that the Treasurer would only be responsible for collecting the Club subs, and individual members would renew their BMFA and sort out their CAA registration themselves. We recommended that CAA registration be done via the BMFA in order to strengthen the BMFA's hand in any upcoming negotiations. Everyone agreed wholeheartedly with this approach.

All bar two of our members have A or B certs, and during the course of the meeting I demonstrated the process for taking the requisite tests.

The BMFA membership Portal makes renewing so simple that it makes sense to do it this way anyway, and relieve club officials from yet another administrative burden.

--

Pete

Thread: Any other female flyers out there???
23/11/2019 08:25:06

There's a few in the helicopter world. Indeed, I think there was a picture of one flying at the Nats in the last-but-one RCM&E.

--

Pete

21/11/2019 17:46:11
Posted by Cuban8 on 21/11/2019 17:02:14:

Lets face it, this registration scheme is a vanity project, I'm stumped as to what good it will do for aeromodelling - we are where we are though, have to cough up and lump it for the time being. It was winding me up but I can't give a flying fig now, it's so absurd. Keep calm and keep flying.

Edited By Cuban8 on 21/11/2019 17:05:55

Quite!

yes

--

Pete

21/11/2019 17:44:20
Posted by Ron Gray on 21/11/2019 15:42:09:

Access comes up as Access!

Thanks, Ron! What Tx were you using? Just wondering if its the same for all, due to differences in screen resolution, etc...

--

Pete

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
electricwingman 2017
Cambridge Gliding Club
CADMA
CML
Sussex Model Centre
Wings & Wheels 2019
Slec
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us