By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Danny Fenton

Here is a list of all the postings Danny Fenton has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Laser Engines - Technical questions
30/09/2020 09:20:43

Thanks Jon, I picked up fuel and a Mentz 20x6 from Webbies yesterday. So I think I am good to give it a go at the weekend. Bike clips at the ready......

Cheers

Danny

28/09/2020 18:06:32

Thanks Nick and Jon I will follow your advice.

The only Hobbyking prop I can see is an Aerostar 20 x 6 wooden, is that what you meant?

Cheers

Danny

28/09/2020 16:40:03

Thanks David, I picked up the engine second hand, its in great condition, and apparently Jon has given it the once over for the previous ownere.

Can I just clarify, what size tank for say a 15 minute flight, fairly sedate aeros, and how should the tank be positioned? clunk in line with needle valve?

Cheers

Danny

28/09/2020 09:51:35

Thanks Ron, looks quite complex to me. I will try and keep it simple.

Cheers

Danny

28/09/2020 00:01:02

Hi Bruce, great info and thanks for sharing, though I am at a loss as to what a chicken hopper is??

I gave up on IC ten years ago. When I was in my twenty's and starting out flying R/C my engines would not stop. But move forward 20 odd years when I took up the hobby again and the blessed things would stop at the drop of a hat. A group of us were dabbling with LiFe batts from DeWalt power tools and getting great results, we even had to design our own chargers.I gave away all my glow field equipment and never looked back.

I am not going to go into a discussion of which is better, each to their own, but having just one dead stick in the last 12 years speaks for itself, (that was down to a dodgey Deans connector, I stopped using Deans after that).

A Laser ticks the sound box when flying in competition. Yes I have several models with sound modules, but for me the technology is not there yet.

Let's see if this laser will run reliably.........

Cheers

Danny

27/09/2020 19:45:07

I appreciate your comments Chris but I am not spending money on a model. I have loads of hangar queens already. A test bed will be fine. As you point out burying an engine in a model restricts your access to alter things. As I say this may not get used, I may opt for electric and sell this on. But I would at least like to run it in the garden.

I am used to big props, though admittedly not having to swing them to make them go. This supposedly will swing a 20 x 6 which is what I intend to try.

Cheers

Danny

27/09/2020 19:29:38

Thanks chaps, managed to find a glass mount that claims to be for up to a 180 at Just engines, that's on its way. I am near Webbies on Tuesday they apparently stock Model technics, so I will try and call in. I believe i have to phone first.

As for OS F plugs haven't found any yet.....

Frank, the secret is out the bag elsewhere, I am drawing a 1/4 scale Chippy for F4C.

I hasten to add this may still end up electric as I am more comfortable with that form of propulsion.....the Laser gives me options. The points lost for sound with electric is annoying.

084.jpg

Cheers and thanks again

Cheers

Danny

27/09/2020 18:53:47

Thanks chaps, I have no model to put this in Martin, so it will have to run on the bench. I really didn't want to have to use it, but they sound just like the full size apparently......

I spent another 75 quid today at Model Shop Leeds on very little, but needed to operate a glow. I had intended to use my armstrong starter, a commercial unit to turn this over is way too expensive. I might try and make something using a battery drill if I can't hand start.

Does anybody do mail order on fuel during these covid times?

Cheers

Danny

Thread: Future balsa supplies in UK
27/09/2020 13:42:17

I placed a fairly large order (for me) from SLEC of 80 plus sheets, there was no problem nor inflated price. I would wait and see what happens.

Cheers

Danny

Thread: Laser Engines - Technical questions
27/09/2020 13:38:53

I am not familiar with IC, having not operated one for many years, I am almost entirely electric. However I finally managed to get a long sought after Laser.

The Laser 180 is quite a lump, the mounting lugs do not appear to be very wide, can you wise sages suggest what to use for a mount to test run the engine, probably on a workmate?

I also need to know the type of plug and fuel you would recommend?

Cheers

Danny

Thread: Warbird Replicas Ju88 Night Fighter build
27/09/2020 13:07:42

Cracking on nicely Eric, well done

Cheers

Danny

Thread: Brian Taylor P-51
26/09/2020 22:22:23

Hi Gary, I have the Jerry Bates too, and the Dave Womersley, neither are quite right. Though Dave's is closest.

I took part in my first R/C BMFA scale comp at Blackpool on Sunday and it has fired me up to get a decent model built, I have been talking about it long enough crook

I didn't do that well on Sunday, but I didn't come last either.

A Fenton Chippy, now I like the sound of that smile p

Cheers

Danny

Edited By Danny Fenton on 26/09/2020 22:22:49

26/09/2020 21:09:43

I thought I was doing very well The Apache is waiting flight tests, as is the Fury, and a Hurricane, not to mention a Grumman Trainer.

I don't have access to a decent flying site at the moment, so I am supposed to be alternating between a day on the Mustang and a day on the Chippy, alas that plan seems to have gone a tinsy bit awry embarrassed

Cheers

Danny

26/09/2020 20:06:05

I am drawing the plans for a 1/4 scale Chippy, but don't tell anybody wink 2

084.jpg

I have done all 5 views, have to revisit the full size to check some dimensions.

Cheers

Danny

26/09/2020 19:23:16

Hi Gary, that is great news

I look forward to following along.

Mustang hasnt been touched for a week as i have been preparing some 5 views for an upcoming project. The BMFA Scale Tech Comitee will validate the drawings, then i can start the plans

But really must do more on the Mustang....

Cheers

Danny

Thread: Colinís Spanish Fury
23/09/2020 17:19:21

Congratulations Graham, and doesn't she look grand!!!

Great pictures too.

Cheers

Danny

21/09/2020 21:40:57

Glad to see you back at it Colin

Cheers

Danny

Thread: Brian Taylor P-51
17/09/2020 08:35:32
Posted by leccyflyer on 16/09/2020 19:02:35:
Posted by Danny Fenton on 09/09/2020 12:44:10:

Brian woudnt release a plan unless it flew well. They all do fly exceptionally well.

Brian held back at least one, because the ground handling was poor. I have forgotten which it was.

There are so many blogs on RCSB to help you will be fine with any.

Cheers

Danny

It was his Beaufighter. He specifically warned me away from it in the early nineties when Beaufighters were extremely rare. Several very successful plans for Beaus are available now.

Thank you sir, I remembered it was a twin, but sadly that was all my memory would recall

Cheers

Danny

16/09/2020 19:04:05

ahhh you mean the aileron trim tab outlines, sorry with you now.

They are cut through at the ends, may score the leading edge, or cut them away. Depends how the full size is hinged.

Cheers

Danny

16/09/2020 19:02:04

Hi Alan i think they are just where the extra wood had to be added to the front of the provided cut parts, just a bit undersize.

The tubes work well dont they

Cheers

Danny

Support Our Partners
Slec
electricwingman 2017
CML
Sussex Model Centre
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
NEW POLL - has the pandemic altered your event safety perceptions?
Q: Has the covid pandemic deterred you from attending shows and events in 2021?

No, I'll be attending just as many as I usually do
 No, but I'll choose my event with greater care
 Yes, I'll attend fewer events going forward
 Yes, I wont attend any where previously I have

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!