By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Danny Fenton

Here is a list of all the postings Danny Fenton has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Bristol Blenheim Mk1V
20/08/2018 07:30:16
Excellent news. I am glad you are back on this Linds
Cheers
Danny
Thread: Anyone interested in a Nats meet-up?
18/08/2018 23:59:35

I think BEB is meaning the refreshment area by the BMFA tent, marked with an i for information

I will try and make each day, but will be at the scale control line circle at other times

barkston-map-2018.jpg

Cheers

Danny

Thread: RN Hawker Sea Hurricane IIc
08/08/2018 16:41:27

Lovely tidy modelling as always

Cheers

Danny

Thread: Seagull Mosquito Laser build
08/08/2018 09:06:20

Blimey Jon, I have 5 cowls in total and they are all flimsy. The scoop underneath is fairly solid but still not that thick!

Maybe I just got lucky/unlucky

Cheers

Danny

07/08/2018 23:17:47

Keep in mind the nacelles will get a bit floppy if you cut them too much There is no structure to support them.

Thread: Accurate Stick Cutting - What's the Secret?
07/08/2018 10:08:30

I have to agree with Peter, cut over size then sand to fit, with a "fine" sand paper not 80 grit!!

I use a fine Permagrit block used on its side to ensure at least one angle is 90 degrees, then sneak up on the fit.

I am not sure if it is OCD or what, but I try and make every joint as perfect as i can, perhaps just obsesive me, but a good joint is a strong joint.

I have tried this Miter sander and it does work well, but more often than not I dont need it and can do it quicker by eye.

miter sander.jpg

Cheers

Danny

Edited By Danny Fenton on 07/08/2018 10:10:39

Thread: Seagull Mosquito Laser build
07/08/2018 08:10:44

I ditched the tailwheel on my second one, too heavy and at the wrong end of the model!

Both of mine came in under 7kg around 14.5 lbs with cells.

I used the supplied spinners and 17 x 12 apc props

Cheers

Danny

05/08/2018 23:38:28

Chris, C of G 120 - 130mm just to be safe

Looking good, the Seagull joints on those nacelles are very dubious, I would go over them all. I had an "arrival" and the nacelles completely fell apart, not one bit attached to another, but no bits broken amazingly!

Cheers

Danny

Thread: RAF's Finest Biplane? Hawker Fury MkI
05/08/2018 15:03:10

Okay just about to start the arduous task of laying out the parts over the plan to check the fit. The glass parts are now checked, and the fit is really nice. The CNC machine has kissed the material to indicate where the hole needs to be, but it is down to you as to the size, more of that when we start (unless you recall the Chipmunk build).

fury1.jpg

Cheers

Danny

30/07/2018 10:27:04

Thanks for the latest batch of email addresses etc. We now have 19 modellers taking on The RAF's finest biplane. Should be a lot of fun, if you want to call a Bryant wing a lot of fun....... However in fairness these look far easier than the Chipmunk wings.

If you haven't sent me a PM with your email addy and you want to receive any email updates please let me know.

Cheers

Danny

27/07/2018 21:32:02

SW, send me a PM and I will put you on the mailing list

Cheers

Danny

24/07/2018 11:43:45

Thanks Gordon that is excellent! What do you use to trim away the alloy? a rat tail file, dremel etc??

Cheers

Danny

24/07/2018 10:03:22

Guys, I have some news on the glass parts (hinges etc)

I have email addresses for :

Nev
Martyn K
Colin Leighfield
Tony Bennett
Klippy
Ernie
Martin Fane
JoseLG

If there are others interested in an update please PM me with an email address

Cheers

Danny

24/07/2018 09:55:54

Hi Ernie, paid using PayPal F and F. So hopefully no fees.

I will PM address

Thanks for sorting this

Cheers

Danny

23/07/2018 23:21:03
Posted by Stuart Rusby on 12/07/2018 20:47:12:

Hi Fenton Furies!

I have recently completed a 1/6th scale Mick Reeves Spitfire which I have electrified, just one wing and very few bendy bits I'm afraid! Would very much like to join the Fury gang if that is acceptable Danny?

I've been trying some litho forming using annealed thin material for the cowl blisters - re your article in RCME. Works well. I have also built a half wing of the Fury to test my limited skills with silver Oratex. Main thing I learned is to monitor the iron temperature carefully, the polyester fabric has a relatively high percentage shrinkage. Also the need to think through the best wing rib support during construction due to the underside camber.

With my best wishes,

Stuart R.

Hi Stuart, sorry for not responding sooner, have been working away and missed your post, thanks Chris for the nudge! Stuart, you are more than welcome to join the gang, the more the merrier

Great news on the spinner chaps though as you say the distorted sides do look odd.

One thing you need to remember about spinners with the cutouts. They are rarely cut for CW propellers, uncut spinners leaves the choice up to the modeller. Mine will be electric with a CW prop

Cheers

Danny

22/07/2018 10:30:19
That looks great Ernie, looks like you have put in a great deal of effort on those, well done.
Cheers
Danny
Thread: Fairey Swordfish
12/07/2018 16:00:36

Looks lovely, well done

Cheers

Danny

Thread: Hangar 9 Spitfire mk2 .60 radiator detail
09/07/2018 08:14:00

Hi Oliver, I would recess the magnets into the balsa so that everything is nice and flush. If you can hide the magnets then I guess there is no reason a good double sided tape wouldn't work.

Another option if you dont fancy magnets, you could consider, is clear silicone sealant. This would grip the Oracover and ducts really well. Again I have used this with some success. The parts do come off with a bad landing without wrecking the model. I often use silicone to retain wheel covers on retractable undercarriage type models.

Cheers

Danny

08/07/2018 23:42:46

I use neodimium magnets to hold radiators and scoops to my models, you may have to use one in each corner, and for a strong hold fit one in each corner of the model surface too. Magnet against magnet (provided they are attached as pairs with opposite poles) gives a much stronger "grab" I hold cowls on with magnets too, not had anything fall off so far.

Cheers

Danny

Thread: Masking
08/07/2018 23:39:22

I find Frisk is far to aggresive, its sticks too well

I have benn making stencils for lettering etc and use a series seven stencil film from a company called Metamark, it is far less sticky than Frisk but masks a really crisp edge. Not sure if we are losing the plot here, wasn't the original post about tape and paint bleed when used over textured film, or am I losing the plot crook

Cheers

Danny

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Gliders Distribution
CML
Expo Tools 14 July
Wings & Wheels 2018
Airtek Hobbies
Slec
electricwingman 2017
Overlander
Motion RC
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
What is the main brand of transmitter you use? (2018)
Q: What is the main brand of transmitter you use?

FrSky
 Futaba
 Graupner
 HiTec
 Jeti
 JR
 Multiplex
 Spektrum
 Other

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues