By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Danny Fenton

Here is a list of all the postings Danny Fenton has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: RAF's Finest Biplane? Hawker Fury MkI
15/01/2020 22:23:58

Well done Graham, I look forward to seeing the pics. It has indeed been a bit quiet on the Fury front.

I have been sidetracked with a little bit of indoor mania, have designed and nearly built a little Hawker Sea Fury, (does that still count as a Hawker Fury?) 26g so far

sea fury 31.jpg

Cheers

Danny

Thread: Sackys FJ3 Fury
01/01/2020 13:48:53

Happy New Year David Build is coming along well.

Cheers

Danny

Thread: 1/6 Westland Whirlwind
30/12/2019 16:27:40

Really looking great, well done

Cheers

Danny

Thread: S1581 Hawker Nimrod MkI
23/12/2019 14:48:06

I probably should be more careful, Dad would cover at least one full size a year, so the hangar was always smelling of dope. Must have just got lucky.

Cheers

Danny

23/12/2019 12:16:26

Had to order more dope as this build has seriously depleted my stock.

Decided to go for full size dope and bought 5 litres. The full size stuff is much thicker than we get for modelling. So this will probably dilute 50:50 to equate to model shop viscosity. So really more like 10 litres. Should see me out

I went for low taut, most of my models are 60" plus so this will be fine. But with hind sight should probably have gone non tautening. Anybody want to swap 2.5 litres non shrink with me

445.jpg

The LAS catalogue is a fascinating thing to flick through

Cheers

Danny

Edited By Danny Fenton on 23/12/2019 12:17:30

21/12/2019 17:21:15

This pic may look very similar to the last one. The wing was given two coats of 50:50 non-shrink dope, and then today the second layer of tissue applied, upper and lower. It is applied wet and allowed to shrink back fully on both sides. Doing both sides at the same time and keeping them damp until finished should help keep everything from warping.

444.jpg

Fingers crossed.

That's picture 444 of this build.....

Cheers

Danny

Thread: Sabre Rattling time
21/12/2019 13:21:59

The problem with commercial RDS adaptors is that they are manufactured to fit specific servos, more accurately their splines. These that I use are universal and bolt onto a supplied cross output arm, which virtually all servos come with.

When set up correctly they are very robust. But be aware of the weight, the longer the piano wire the more weight you are adding, so short lengths are good. I make the bearing that the torque rod rotates and passes through, out of hardwood, not metal to save weight.

Cheers

Danny.

21/12/2019 12:38:34

A friend (Eric Strefford) is printing these for me.

443.jpg

Cheers

Danny

21/12/2019 12:35:49

432.jpg

This is my implementation. I have got some 3D printed adaptors for the servo output arms.

The bit that will wear and cause slop is the torque box. I line mine with melamine so that it is very hard wearing.

Maybe this will help?
Cheers
Danny

15/12/2019 22:25:16

Hi Stuart, I am intending to include the forward wires, bracing on mine too. It looks like the replica that Andy is modelling, does not have the additional bracing. Also of interest is that early versions did not have the removable side sections/panels to the fuselage. Another reason you have to find a subject and take details from that aircraft and not use generic 3 views.

The replica in (Belgium??) also uses pinked rib tapes, the Duxford examples (3) all use torn fabric rib tapes.

Cheers

Danny

14/12/2019 16:48:49

Wont make much progress for a while as work commitments intrude. But I did manage to cover the port wing upper surface with a layer of tissue.

442.jpg

Cheers

Danny

08/12/2019 22:34:00

Panic averted, aileron now had two layers of tissue and three coats of Banana oil, all ready for tapes and paint.

441.jpg

Cheers

Danny

07/12/2019 17:28:12

I contacted Richard this morning and he said the model, built as per Dennis's plan, flies fine.

So I leave it up to you guys what you want to do. I will be following the plan.

Hope that helps

Cheers

Danny

07/12/2019 11:51:25

Must remember to fit the aileron before the upper tissue!!

07/12/2019 11:41:21

Well that is up to you Andy, you have flown the full size. It is possible the 3 views are drawn with the elevator trim all the way in one direction, which could be misleading. To counter that, nobody has complained about the model flying with excessive trim? When I next see Richard Dalgleish I will ask him if his requires much trim.

That is a real shame Tony, can anything be done to remedy the covering? is it going to alter the way it flies? probably not!

Cheers

Danny

06/12/2019 23:42:32

Got the upper wing sanded, sealed and final sanding before the first layer of tissue.

440.jpg

The madness continues

Cheers

Danny

Thread: MF's Hawker Fury Mk1
06/12/2019 15:27:23

Looks great Martin, yes apart from a panel across the top of the storage area the storage sides are doped fabric over ply.

438.jpg

Cheers

Danny

Edited By Danny Fenton on 06/12/2019 16:00:24

06/12/2019 11:59:55

Hi Stuart, the Fury has a very clever way of altering the pitch trim. A threaded shaft runs up the rear of the fin post, it is rotated by a cable from the cockpit. the stabiliser front mount pivots, the rear mount is on a bogey fitted to that threaded shaft, as is the lower bracing strut and upper rigging wire. So the wires, braces and stab trailing edge all can go up and down. So really there should be a gap above and below the stab, to allow it to move. Dennis has taken an easier route and mounted the tail-plane in the full down trim position, ie abutted against the fuselage upper longeron.

This stab gaps necessitates the fin also having a clearance to allow the stabs incidence to alter.

So it looks kind of like this:

437.jpg

Hope that helps?

Cheers

Danny

05/12/2019 23:06:31

Oh yes, Martin asked, and I meant to show how I have re-enforced the root rib area of the wing panel, the tissue and dope, even though none shrinking nitrate still can exert some force!

436.jpg

just an upper and lower 3/32 load spreader.

Cheers

Danny

05/12/2019 23:00:08

I felt I hadn't really explained fully some of the benefits of using the RDS system, so a quick addendum video.

Cheers

Danny

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Support Our Partners
electricwingman 2017
Cambridge Gliding Club
Slec
Wings & Wheels 2019
Pepe Aircraft
Gliders Distribution
CML
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Do you use a throttle kill switch?
Q: This refers to electric-powered models but do you use a throttle kill switch?

Yes
 No
 Sometimes
 Rarely

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us