By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Handyman

Here is a list of all the postings Handyman has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Commons Science and Technology Committee Enquiry on Drones
11/10/2019 17:30:37

Why not resort to "Civil disobedience" over this typical attack on our years old hobby that in the main has always operated safely and policing its own members. I started out as a solo flyer, but I always took out public liability insurance, and joined up to a club as soon as I found one in my area. I have never had to claim on my flying insurance, and always flew sensibly. The other club members would soon have told me off if I had not done so.

Because of the actions of a few Drone operator idiots, we are all being penalised. This is an attack on our Civil Liberties.They are taking the easy option, the D of T and the CAA. They know that the BMFA has the names and addresses of all its bona-fide members,so how easy to attack an easy target. There should be a clear division between the operators of drones and the Father and Son who have built a model together and then gone out to see it fly. I for one would resist any form of legislation from the word go. If they get away with this Big Brother attitude, it could mean the death knell of aero modelling.

We either take a stand now, and refuse to comply with their proposals completely and insist that they come up with some other form of control over the idiots who endanger aircraft and airfields by their stupidity. What else can we do?

Thread: Servo power-up movement
10/10/2019 15:10:31

I had a similar thing happen to me about 4 years ago when I purchased one of the new Black Spektrum Radio sets. It cost me two aircraft before I sent it away to be checked. Turned out that it was a fault on the RF Board causing the intermittent loss of control. My aircraft dived towards the ground on both occasions. I would suggest having the Tx and Rx checked out then go from there. My kit was brand new at the time.

Thread: 80 Mick Reeves Hurricane
06/10/2019 22:19:00

Just to add my two pennyworth,regarding aileron travel. The correct amount of travel as I have always understood is that the upgoing aileron should travel further than the downgoing one. This is to prevent any adverse yaw, so in a nutshell,you have less movement going down and more going up. There are various ways to achieve differential travel on ailerons. Mechanically and electronically. Google the problem,there are usually some good pointers to be had on YouTube..

Hope this makes sense?

Thread: When it's a bit too windy!
06/10/2019 19:04:23

I think that you should also consider adding ballast in those conditions and get a little more penetration in those strong winds. Weight always helps.

Thread: Selling scam?
06/10/2019 17:49:28

Hi again. Have any of the other members on here contacted by this Chris McBean actually received a cheque from him. As I said, I got one in the post on Friday the 4th October posted in the UK and yet the cheque was also dated 04/10/2019.

I have googled the bank details and the cheque seems kosher. Good enough to fool some people. It was the amount of the cheque that set alarm bells ringing for me. It was 10 times the amount that I was asking for the engine. I had not intention of parting with my engine until I was completely satisfied and got the money in my hand.

But I am too sceptical in my old age to be caught out.

06/10/2019 01:20:15

Hi all.I have just had a cheque from this "chrisMcbean34@gmail.com. I have had an engine for sale on our classifieds site for a few months now. Had an email from this chappy asking for pictures and a price for the engine. I had not seen this posting about him before. Anyway he accepted my price and said he would pay by cheque, with an extra amount added on to cover the costs of posting the engine and any bank charges due through currency conversion costs.

Yesterday a cheque arrived in a brown envelope,with an English first class stamp on it, but containing a cheque drawn on a French bank. I was not too worried at first, because he was adamant that I should pay the cheque into my account,wait for the cheque to clear and then advise him that I had got the money, and then wait for his shipper to collect the engine, and also collect from me the extra cash to pay for the postal costs.

When I looked at the cheque more closely, it was made out for 2864 Euros,almost £2550. It was then that I got suspicious. I took the cheque along to my bank and spoke to a personal banker. When I explained what it was all about, he advised me to return the cheque and ask for a sterling check instead. I did this and since then, I have not heard a peep from this chrismcbean34@gmail.com.

I now realise that this is a "Scam", but I am intending to contact the French bank where this cheque appears to be drawn on and let them have sight of the cheque, or at least a copy of the cheque and get their angle on this strange happening. He must be able to access the "modelflying" classifieds to have been able to get my email address.

I still have my engine and this cheque that he sent me, that was 10 times more than I was asking for the engine.

This chrismcbean34@gmail.com needs stopping,can the moderators prevent him from doing this again?

Anthony.

Thread: Prop balance query
30/09/2019 22:11:01

I am an i/c flyer and have always been so,with the odd foray into electric flying. I always check the balance on any prop that I buy,regardless. I started flying when i was 15 and I am 78 years old now. My early radio sets were single channel and were also valve sets. It was important then to have your receiver mounted to prevent vibration getting to the radio equipment. Hence the balancing of the propeller, or to be correct,the airscrew!!

Thread: A newbie trying to save some money
26/09/2019 21:56:45

Cuban8,you sound like a "Gent" to me, and I fly mode1. I did try and change some years ago, but all my instincts were governed by my always flying Mode 1, so I stayed a "Gentleman"!

Thread: 2019 Special Issue
26/09/2019 21:09:03

One item that did catch my eye,on page 14, was the small picture of the"late"Pete Lowe and his wife,Nettie or Nattie or something like that. I always looked forward to whatever project he was working on,right up to his death. If memory serves me correctly, it was a Bristol Freighter that he was working on. Nice to see his picture though. I don't suppose anyone has been in contact with his wife,to ask how she is doing. After all,he was a regular contributor to our magazine. Just a thought!

Edited By Handyman on 26/09/2019 21:09:50

Thread: Servo rotation
16/04/2019 00:34:11

Thanks for the info Chris Walby,been in touch and will be sending transmitter to Garry at Al's Hobbies. Thanks again.

Anthony.

14/04/2019 19:49:53

HI all,sorry if this is the wrong place for this post, but I have couple of the black DX6s that I use for buddy box training,I fetched the master tranny out tonight to charge up battery and to check all controls. I appear to have a problem with my Aileron potentiometer, which I confirmed by using the monitor function.

Where do I get my Spektrum gear repaired these days, Can anyone point me in the right direction,please.

Anthony.

Edited By Handyman on 14/04/2019 19:50:40

Thread: How can I reverse a plan to build two wing halves
09/02/2019 21:56:48

A good printing shop could do you a mirror image of your plan. Just have to learn to read backward writing.

Thread: BMFA News Feb 2019
28/01/2019 00:02:50

I will grant you that they have done some good things. I did say that I am not knocking the BMFA. As regards the relaxing of the 400' Rule for BMFA and other organisation members, I personally do not see any advantage of wanting to fly above 400 feet. I like to keep my models at a height where I can see what they are doing, and can get them back on the ground in the shortest possible time, if problems appear. Not fly to a height where its just a speck in the sky.

And just as an aside, a lot of these impending regulations appear to be as a result of our membership of the Quango that is called the European Union. (Oh dear, I think I may have breached the forum posting regulations) Oh well at my age, I can stand any any rebukes that come my way. Its part of life!!

Thread: Catastrophe!
27/01/2019 23:34:28

May I add my pennyworth into this forum. I am mainly an i.c man, but I have made several forays into the electric scene. One thing that I was very particular about, was the power suppy to the Rx. I have always adopted a seperate power supply to the rx, and not trusted the 2 or 3s Lipo/Li-ion batteries to maintain a constant steady voltage to the rx,especially when one has upward of 5 or more servos for the battery to contend with. I have several Esc's with the red wire removed from the harness and taped back, so that I can use a 7.2 battery to just power the Rx. It's extra weight, I know, but worth it in my mind, for peace of mind.(pardon the pun)

Thread: BMFA News Feb 2019
27/01/2019 22:52:42

What happened to this wonderful stress-busting hobby of ours. I can remember a time when we could get our favourite model, out of the shed and trundle off to our chosen flying area and have a couple of hours flying,then return home feeling refreshed with the pleasure of flying an aircraft that we had built ourselves and hopefully brought back in one piece. Then suddenly, out of the depths emerged the unelected spectre of Bureaucracy. "We cannot allow these Sunday model fliers to go on piloting their potentially dangerous remote control aircraft,without some form of legislation". And to my mind, as a 78 year old boy,this is where it all went wrong. This came about in 1975 when the Health and Safety in the working environment reared its head.

I will agree that the working environment needed regulation of this kind, but not our hobby,surely? I had a few cut fingers during my flying life-time, but that was down to my carelessness, and did not need the heavy hand of enforced regulation by an entity that was put together,ostensibly to safeguard ourselves and other people from injury or harm.

I can remember a time when it was a requirement to have a radio transmitting licence for your model aircraft equipment, and along with that licence, I also purchased model flying insurance. I was quite aware back then,just how dangerous an out of control model aircraft could be. I am not knocking the BMFA in any way, but it always seems that once you give someone or some institution a little bit of muscle, they soon begin to start to push the boundaries and insist on adding just a little bit more legislation, to what is already a well policed hobby.

If instructors and examiners are not happy about these extra burdens on their time, (and bearing in mind that these posts are being filled by people who are voluntarily giving of their time), then they should canvass the BMFA en-mass and stop this extra burden before it becomes enshrined in BMFA rules.

Thread: PVA and Balsa sawdust.
25/01/2019 16:04:21
Posted by Percy Verance on 24/01/2019 19:48:27:

It is Sonny. I've used Titebond for a decade or two now. There is also a waterproof version, which I'm told is a favourite of model boat builders..........

Hi Percy, I think that you are referring to Cascamite. I have been using it for years. Mix it with water and when it dries it becomes waterproof. I purchased a new tub only recently. Worth trying!!

Thread: Plans and Woodpacks from Flying Scale Models - Doolittle Media
22/01/2019 19:55:13

Hi Graham, you asked "are Sarik Hobbies any quicker?". I ordered and paid for a Farmhand 90 kit on 6th January. No sight of said kit as yet, but their website says to allow at least 14 days from date of ordering. So no!,no quicker in my opinion. Anthony.

Thread: Newbie from Pennsylvania, USA
22/01/2019 19:02:24

Hi Dean and welcome to the forum,it's is a hell of a site with lots of clever and informative people on here,(but don't tell them I said so,they might get ideas above their station). Me, I tend to prefer high wing aircraft of early years and the bigger the better so that I can see them easily. Its a cracking hobby. Just wished the Wife understood the attraction.

Thread: How long have you been in the hobby?
22/01/2019 17:21:27

I started back in 1956, when I was a mere lad of 15. Got a paper round to earn some extra money and got my first Keil Kraft kit from a local model shop, along with the shrinking dope and I think some banana oil, (cannot remember what the banana oil was used for), tissue and some pins. I was told by the shop owner where to go and get myself some safety razor blades,with which to cut the balsa wood,which in those days was never more than 1/4inch thick.

Built that kit on my Mothers best dining table,working on some newspaper, but got banned from the house because of the smell of the dope, and because I had spilled some dope onto the varnished table, which took the shine. No more building inside for me, it was the cold shed,with a paraffin heater. 62 years ago this year and been building and flying ever since. Even when I was posted abroad in 1965, I took some modelling items out to Aden and found a shop down in Steamer Point that stocked all the items that I would ever need, and duty free at that. I was using some Macregor single channel gear at the time,with elastic powered escapements, but I was shown by the Aden shop keeper a set of Graupner gear, which although was not proportional,was better than the Macregor set,because you did not have to remember how many pushes of the button you had just given. The Graupner set had sticks like we have now, and left was left, and right was right. The snag was, you had to build big models,because the receiver was the size of a small brick, and the screw driven servos were also huge.

Was I glad when true proportional controls came out, and servo's got progressively smaller. Learnt a lot over the years and am still learning at 78. But loving it all!!

Edited By Handyman on 22/01/2019 17:27:24

Thread: Bi-Fli 48 re-furb
21/01/2019 20:55:07

It's got to be the 80s HP gold cup engine, it looks made for it.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Cambridge Gliding Club
CML
Slec
Wings & Wheels 2019
Gliders Distribution
electricwingman 2017
Pepe Aircraft
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
New Poll - Sticky situations...
Q: How often - when using superglue - do you end up with it on your fingers?

Every time
 Occasionally
 Sometimes
 Rarely
 Never
 Wear rubber gloves

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us