By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Toni Reynaud

Here is a list of all the postings Toni Reynaud has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: What size to print plans without a scale tab
30/06/2020 08:00:43

I built this one - haven't got round to flying it yet. The plans printed out tiled and stuck together with no problems.

Thread: 1S Wattmeter
26/04/2020 13:49:37

Understood. Thanks for all the replies about the possible extra loading of the battery under test.

26/04/2020 08:52:48

Just a thought - there appears to be a part of the thread the suggests making this self-powered using a voltage boost board. Given that the unit is for testing small 1S lipos for indoor models, would this give rise to the current draw for the unit being a noticeable percentage of the load (motor) current draw? Would you therefore be getting false readings as to load power consumption?

Thread: What are my options?
24/04/2020 17:00:16

Answer to the OP - NO.

Thread: Show Us Your 3D Prints
03/04/2020 16:25:23

I am in awe of all that I see here, from use of someone else's plans/files to self generated files and expanded priter capabilites to a complete printer built from bits. Absolutely amazing!

Edited By Toni Reynaud on 03/04/2020 16:25:47

Thread: Scratch Build Twin
30/03/2020 15:10:57

Also watching with interest. Impressed with the CNC gadget.

Thread: Composite wing ribs
28/03/2020 19:47:08

Try this thread. Simon Chaddock does a fair bit of work in this area.

https://www.modelflying.co.uk/forums/postings.asp?th=130897&p=3

Thread: Has Your Club Made Any Decisions Regarding The Coronavirus?
19/03/2020 10:38:10

What we have done..................

Cancelled all Club meetings until further notice, and also We recommend that those who do go flying observe the following sensible safeguards, which concur with the BMFA's advice:
1. Stand further apart to chat; at least a metre and preferably more. Chat crosswind, not upwind or downwind.
2. Don’t shake hands, and avoid physical contact with other members.
3. Don’t go to the flying site if you have a new cough or fever; please stay at home in accordance with the Government’s latest advice.
4. Consider being more relaxed with some rules, for example the requirement for pilots to stand close to each other in the pilots’ box, and the size of the start-up box. However, do not compromise the safety of others.
Finally, members should respect that some colleagues may want to maintain a larger social distance than usual but, with the above pointers in mind, we do not want to discourage anyone for whom flying is the highlight of the week!
Thank you all for your cooperation and understanding during these unprecedented times. Hopefully life will return to normal before too long.

Thread: Drone crashes are now investigated by the AAIB
16/03/2020 06:45:46

"Until you have personally flown RC models, who would believe that tree branches can move and grab a model, hedged can physically jump up to stop a passing model clearing them, bushes can transplant themselves instantly into the path of a model."

Plus 1 for that - there is one particular tree near our patch that caught me twice!

Thread: English language ?
13/03/2020 07:04:25

Full agreement on the "Proof-read before posting" comment. So many paragraph breaks where they are not needed, commas sprinkled in where they are not needed, your instead of you're, there instead of their - makes things difficult to read if they don't flow nicely.

Thread: Mad idea?
11/03/2020 08:37:00

I did something similar last year - a cheapo all-in-onecamera/Tx from Banggood, a single screen headset (cheaper than goggles!) and fitted it to a Gentle Lady with an electric power pod. Powered the camera with a lead from the battery plug on the Rx. It all worked well from the FPV point of view, but having a spotter was quite necessary - height judgement is not easy when flying over a ploughed field next to the patch! Well worth doing, and I hope to geet more flights this year.

Thread: New EDF Mini Jets- Jet Provost & Folland Gnat
08/03/2020 09:59:28

Finally got the Jet Provost to the patch on a sunny and not very windy day. Got a club member to launch - it sank a bit, wobbled a bit, gathered speed, and away it went. A good flight, if a bit twitchy - it turned out I put a 4S2100 instead of a 4s2500, so the balance point was a bit rearward - manageable but not the best. It went quite well on half throttle, but kept climbing. When it slowed down, control response was not good.On the approach I got within spitting distance of the patch and cut the throttle and it glided in very nicely. A good maiden, and my first EDF, and I'm sure that when I next fly it with more nose weight, it's going to be good.

Weight with big battery 720 gm, 25 oz

full chat - 13.5V, 30A, 380W, 540 gm thrust.

Thread: Forum 2020 Mass Build discussion.
06/03/2020 16:17:14

Finally got the Jet Provost to the patch on a sunny and not very windy day. Got a club member to launch - it sank a bit, wobbled a bit, gathered speed, and away it went. A good flight, if a bit twitchy - it turned out I put a 4S2100 instead of a 4s2500, so the balance point was a bit rearward - manageable but not the best. It went quite well on half throttle, but kept climbing. When it slowed down, control response was not good.On the approach I got within spitting distance of the patch and cut the throttle and it glided in very nicely. A good maiden, and my first EDF, and I'm sure that when I next fly it with more nose weight, it's going to be good.

Weight with big battery 720 gm, 25 oz

full chat - 13.5V, 30A, 380W, 540 gm thrust.

Thread: Differential Throttles
24/02/2020 19:47:28

Third mix on PMIX4

[PROG. MIX4]

RUDD-> RUDD ON

RATE -50%

0%

SW:ON

OFFSET : 0

Because the rudder is now mixed to the port ESC, it will control port motor speed independently of the main throttle setting. Left rudder will decrease the port motor speed.

Fourth mix on PMIX 3

[PROG. MIX3]

RUDD-> AUX2 ON

Rates -50%

0%

OFFSET: 0

Because the rudder is now mixed to the stbd ESC, it will control port motor speed independently of the main throttle setting. Right rudder will decrease the stbd motor speed.

24/02/2020 19:47:10

First mix on PMIX 6

[PROG. MIX6]

THRO -> RUDD ON

RATE +100%

+100%

OFFSET: 0

This makes the port ESC work independently of the throttle channel. If this were not done, any rudder movement would tend to override the throttle output instead of being mixed.

Second mix on PMIX 5

[PROG. MIX5]

THRO -> AUX2 ON

RATE +100%

+100%

OFFSET: -100

This makes the stbd ESC work from the throttle channel

24/02/2020 19:46:08

I spent hours today sorting out mixes on my DX7 to get differential throttle control on the Flair Beaufighter. Why? I got fed up with having to repair the motor mounts every time it landed in the long grass, so I fitted electric retracts. It would still have to be a hand launch because it has no rudder. It would add too much weight to fit one, so to get directional control on the ground for take-off, differential thrust is the answer. It'll be interesting to see if it works.

Tx is Spektrum Dx7

One ESC on THR, one ESC on AUX1

Mix throttle to AUX2 100%

Mix throttle to RUDD 100%

Check both motors work

Mix Rudder to Throttle

Mix Rudder to AUX 2

First, set the AUX2 switch towards you. Leave it there at all times, or things don’t work.

Connect port ESC to RUDDER, connect stbd ESC to AUX2.

Using PMIX5 and PMIX 6 means that they will respond to THROTTLE channel trim settings

Check all settings on the control monitor display as you make them. Only make and check one setting at the time.

Thread: Lightweight hinge for a small depron model?
17/02/2020 07:10:50

I used to bevel the parts to be hinged on one side, then lay them flat in position with the bevel downwards. Run hot glue along the hinge line, and immediately, while still hot, run the end of a metal rule along the fillet of glue. This flattens it out and forms a good hinge. Good for quickly produced models that don't have to be too scale.

Thread: So what is the FAA trying to do in the USA ?
16/02/2020 13:32:14

Not a lot different? By my reading of the first few pages, in the US it is proposed that ALL UAS must carry equipmet capable of connecting to the internet at all times while in flight to identify that UAS. I haven't heard of anything like that being proposed over here yet. Have I missed something??

Edited By Toni Reynaud on 16/02/2020 13:32:52

Thread: How wings generate lift
14/02/2020 09:18:10

Quite interesting. However, the discussion as to why planes fly upside down provided that the angle of attack is correct seems to me (as a simple layman) to totally ignore gravity. This is also ignored in the bit about blowing across a piece of paper. In fact gravity and mass and weight seem to have been ignored throughout. Blowing air across an airfoil at any orientation will result in the splitting and pressure differential that is lift. This is probably not IDENTICAL to the same airfoil moving through the air and having gravity affect both the wing and the air mass. Thoughts??

Thread: Fixed leading edge slats
03/02/2020 11:36:09

Plus one for Peter's answer. I won't tell you how I know!!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Slec
CML
electricwingman 2017
Sussex Model Centre
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!