By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for julian

Here is a list of all the postings julian has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Southern Model Show 2019
09/09/2019 22:26:02

I went on Saturday with my sons. Even though I've more or less given up the hobby now I still like to keep an eye on what's happening. I went home and then came back with the wife for the evening flying and fireworks which were excellent.

The renegade team with the Crescent Bullet models were very good as was the Moki powered Yak.

The guys doing the commentary made a few references to the forthcoming registration including the costs involved which I thought was a positive

I think that it was an improvement on recent years.

Thread: CAA registration consulation
11/05/2019 13:19:50
Posted by Steve J on 11/05/2019 11:01:33:
Posted by julian on 11/05/2019 10:27:58:

I've had a reply from my MP who personally believes that drones can be dangerous and as such anyone who owns or operates them should have to be registered. Quoting government policy?

Which party? I would be surprised if the the DfT have not circulated a standard response to Conservative MPs and Labour have been pushing for registration for years.

Steve

He's a member of the current government so I'd have thought also that it's a standard response.

11/05/2019 10:27:58

I've had a reply from my MP who personally believes that drones can be dangerous and as such anyone who owns or operates them should have to be registered. Quoting government policy? He does go on to recognise the benefits that drones have made to photography, filming etc and then puts a link in his email to the CAA consultation.

I didn't expect anything else to be honest but at least he bothered to reply I suppose.

05/05/2019 22:47:32

That makes interesting reading Andy, particularly pages 17 and 18. Their polls show that 80 to 90 % of the public support government uses for drones but less than 40 % support other uses including hobbyists. I suppose it depends on who they're paying to carry out the polls and what results they'll then publish!!

I haven't read all 254 pages yet.

I will add that I have responded, as others, to the CAA and my local MP. I'll also be writing to Baroness Vere.

Edited By julian on 05/05/2019 22:48:43

Thread: Skyways Hawk 70
29/03/2019 13:14:11

Geoff, I received an email from Masons Models earlier this month saying that kits for the Hawk 70 are being checked and should be ready by Easter.

I don't know if you've been told the same?

Thread: Southern Model Air Show at headcorn
05/09/2018 14:59:01

I telephoned SLEC and they are not going to be there either. I've been unable to find a list of traders either. I've had to call traders to check. Nexus modelling supplies will be there so that's one!!

Thread: Southern Model Show 2016
12/09/2016 18:45:32

I decided to go yesterday and I actually enjoyed it. The weather helped, light winds and no cloud, also very warm.There was some excellent models and some great flying.Not many traders but I think that is the trend now because of the internet. In my opinion the best Headcorn show yet.

10/09/2016 20:11:07

Did anyone go today and if so was it any good? Not made my mind up yet on whether to go tomorrow. Weather looks better than today.

Thread: 2016 RCM&E Autumn Special- Free Plan Modellers Choice
12/01/2016 19:32:10

DH94 Moth Minor....55" span EP or IC.

Julian

Thread: Bambino free plan (Oct 2015 RCM&E)
18/09/2015 19:38:42

Thanks David,was about to start cutting the parts soon so that saved some head scratching...smiley

I had the chance to have a close look at this model at the Southern Model Show and discussed it with David.It's a cute little model and looking at the video added recently, it flies very well.

Julian

Thread: Southern Model Airshow 2015
14/09/2015 18:19:53

I went on Saturday and as last year there were very few traders,I did spend in Balsa Cabin on some depron which would have cost £10 postage,so that was worth the entrance fee.

I got the chance to have a conversation with David Ashby and his father - a couple of nice guys.

Credit where it's due,there were some nice models flown by some very good pilots who coped well with the cross wind and the skydivers!!

It would be good to see The Dawn Patrol there as well as a lot more traders as mentioned by others but I imagine that they do far better with internet sales now.

Interestingly,my son was with me and commented on the lack of things for kids,such as toffee bomber and the lunchtime trainer sessions on buddy leads.A fair point as this was done at the Hop Farm show and always attracted a lot of participants-my kids always enjoyed it,

This is the only show that I go to now and sadly I probably won't bother next year which is a shame as it has so much potential but after 3 years nothing has improved.

Greenacres always sounds fun so maybe I'll go there next year.yes

Thread: Urgent and important petition - Please sign
31/08/2015 18:29:25

Signed.

Thread: Vulcan 1 - Headcorn 0
19/08/2015 20:37:57

I agree with all the above I'm afraid.

I went with my son on the Saturday specifically to see the Vulcan but I was also looking forward to the Great War display team,as shown on the website.

If it wasn't for the superb display by the Vulcan I think that I would have requested a refund!

The TJD team did a good job of performing not only during their slot,but also filling in for the long periods when nothing happened!!

In the past the Tiger Club always put on a good display with their Tiger Moths and Turbulents but I believe that they are no longer based at Headcorn.

It was a shame as I went to the Battle of Britain show there last month which was superb but I won't be going to the Combined Ops anymore.

I local airshow that was always great was Woodchurch Wings & Things,which was at Rob Davies'(P51D Big Beautiful Doll),private airsrtrip.Headcorn could learn a lot from the organisers of that show.

I'm looking forward to the Southern Model show at Headcorn next month though.

Thread: Which Frequency Scanner??
11/11/2014 21:53:15

Hi Johnny,

I have a Maycom AR-108 which I've had for a couple of years.It's perfect for airshows and listening in to local airfields

I don't know how it compares some of the more expensive scanners though but I'm happy with it.

I think that it's been discontinued but I got mine from Maplins for £45.

Julian

Thread: Southern Model Air Show 2014
13/09/2014 20:44:03

I went today and it was a big improvement on last year.

Good models and some excellent flying I thought that there was a larger crowd this year also.

I'm looking forward to next year..yes

Edited By julian on 13/09/2014 20:47:45

10/09/2014 20:44:52

I'm going on Saturday.

Thread: DB 1/8" Scale Sopwith Pup E Build
11/03/2014 19:29:35

Hi Dave,

I have one of these kits so I'll be following this build.thumbs up

Julian

Thread: deagostini spitfire
11/01/2014 21:11:31

I've been given two of these over the last few years after the builders lost interest,both part built.I have used the balsa sheet,light ply etc on other models so I have a few spare unwanted parts if anybody wants them for free-canopy,cowl,spinner,decals,covering,wheels etc.

I've not heard many good comments about this model but those who have completed and flown theirs seem to be happy with them.

Thread: Greenair Designs
22/12/2013 16:57:11

No problem when I try Mowerman.

Thread: It's the grand pre-Xmas (better stuff than normal) giveaway!
22/12/2013 16:50:40

Count me in please.

Thankyou.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
electricwingman 2017
Slec
Wings & Wheels 2019
Sussex Model Centre
CML
Cambridge Gliding Club
CADMA
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us