By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Tony Richardson

Here is a list of all the postings Tony Richardson has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: RCV engines
16/05/2020 23:58:23

JD8 I was thinking hard O ring as well, I have two sets of instruction/owners manual with this engine and in one it says the starting setting for the low speed should be set with the throttle fully closed then back out 4 turns the other manual says just the opposite, ie open throttle fully back the low needle all the way out then screw in 3 1/2 to 4 turns, anyone have any idea which one is correct as I found the low speed setting to be really sensitive when it was in the Rascal, totally confused now LOL.

16/05/2020 22:25:41

Quick question, anybody on here running a RCV58 CD, I have one and have had it for quite a few years, we moved a couple of years ago and this engine has not been run since then.

I removed it from my Sig Rascal and planned to install it in another model - a low wing sport model - my dilemma is it runs but not very well and yes I did use after run oil and store it correctly, it does not want to idle except at a very high RPM and transition is sluggish.I did partly disassemble and flush/clean  the carb and started back with the factory default starting settings and thought I was back to my original settings but something is certainly off somewhere, also compression does not seem as high as I remember it, could I have a stuck or broken ring? thoughts anyone..

Edited By Tony Richardson on 16/05/2020 22:26:34

Edited By Tony Richardson on 16/05/2020 22:28:08

Thread: Four Engine electric setup
13/05/2020 05:34:51

Glad it worked for you Den, Ray is an old clubmate and I have had a lot of help from him over the years, his builds are amazing.

12/05/2020 06:27:33

Den do a google search for "Rays models" Ray McDougal is the guys name, he is a Canadian and has built several multi engine electric models, and i am sure he would answer any questions you have, take a look at his website and checkout his builds, some really good models there a few of them from Ivan Pettigrew plans..

Thread: Laser Engines - Technical questions
03/05/2020 00:11:09

Hi Jon, the span is 1854mm 73 inches, and weight is in the range of 6 to 9 kg i make that about 13 to 20lb, that is the estimate on the plan, i'm assuming it depends on the amount of detail undertaken.

02/05/2020 17:31:23

HI JON, it's actually the "almost" 1/4 scale kit by Duncan Hutson engine size stated on plan is a 120?? I think you are right a little extra power is always valuable and the left stick should not have to be all the way up to keep the model flying.

02/05/2020 07:07:01

Frank, Keith, you will have to have a little patience with me as I am one of the older generation and have lived in Canada a long time so I can only quote the name I see or hear over here, I suspected it might be but was not sure as it is the local paint store of all places that stocks it! We in the colonies will eventually catch on or so i'm told by the visitors we have from the UK sorry used to have, lord knows when things will get back to some kind of normal.

Thank you all, and Jon I may well order a 120 or 155 for that 1/4 scale SE5a, depends if its the next build or not, oh so many kits and plans and so little time.....

01/05/2020 02:01:33

Ok further to my previous question, Ethanol is out but where does Methyl Hydrate fall in this equation, it is also readily available here??

27/04/2020 23:41:49

Hi Jon, I have been waiting for your 180/30cc gas engine as I have been trying to move to gas engines over glow due to the availabiillity or lack of glow fuel in my location, this however is a question about your glow engines, ethanol is readily available here as is Klotz synthetic oil the problem is nitromethane, now will Laser engines run on fuel with no nitro? and if cleanliness is 100% how do you feel about home mixed fuel, I would be looking at a 120 to 180 size for an almost 1/4 scale SE5a, something that would swing an 18 - 20 prop, not looking for speed more pull and air flow..

This engine would be mounted upright if that makes a difference..

Tony..

Edited By Tony Richardson on 27/04/2020 23:43:48

Thread: Can you tell what it is yet ??
26/04/2020 21:52:09

looks like a bugly ugger laugh

Thread: adhesive for hinges
25/04/2020 15:03:41

Brian C, oiling the hinge pivot was the first thing i did but i used a very small gauge tube as a Pipet - hope I spelled that correctly - and dropped the smallest amount directly on the pivot..

John S yes epoxy is available by mail order and at some of the local hardware stores but with everyone staying home and participating in their chosen pastimes most places are out of stock at the moment, I live on an island which makes supply a little sporadic due to priority items like groceries and other essentials getting the prime seats on ferries and aircraft, plus i am a little impatient and wanted to press on.

Thank you all for the comments they have eased my anxiety as to whether I muffed it up or not, glad to know i'm not the first..

25/04/2020 03:44:15

Hi everyone, this a question on which glue most people use to glue in Robart style hinges, - the ones with the ridges that require a drilled and countersunk hole in both surfaces, now I have always used 2 part epoxy for these but find it can be very messy and cleanup can be problematic, also with the current situation here in Canada finding a suitable epoxy is a bit of a problem where I live. I do have 5 minute epoxy but that does not give much of a working time so decided to try something different ie canopy glue, goes on white dries clear and adheres well to a variety of plastics plus wood, foam etc. a bonus is the nozzle of the container fits nicely in drilled hole, so no messing around with sticks toothpicks etc and cleanup is easy with a damp cloth. The hinged surfaces have been set up for a little over 24hrs and the standard pull test confirms they are well glued.

Now has anyone else used this glue for hinges? if so how did they hang in and what - if any - problems did you encounter..

Looking forward to all the replies even those that tell me I should have used flat hinges and pinned em with a toothpick Bar-B-Q stick.

Tony....

Thread: Queue of pilots waiting for the lock down to be lifted!
10/04/2020 19:07:00

Good to see everyone still has a sense of humour..

Thread: Insanity seems to be setting in
17/03/2020 17:24:44
Posted by Peter Miller on 17/03/2020 14:32:10:

I have to go to waitrose tomorrow. It will be interesting to see if they are in the same situation

I will carry my camera and see what I can get in the way of pictures.

What I am dreading is this. my next door neighbour is 100 years old and I get a list of shopping to do in Waitrose. Her son does Asda but I have to do Waitrose.

I will not go into it but it is bad enough on normal days. If she asks for bog rolls she will not live long enough to use half a roll.

I think I will stock up on whisky in large quantities.

I think that is an excellent idea Pete, I have been down to the local Liquor store to stock up with my favorite single malt. My theory is if alcohol kills this virus if I saturate my body from the inside on a regular basis this virus will avoid me - anyway that's my excuse and i'm sticking with it.

On a more serious note, here in Canada a lot of supermarkets have now started to limit quantities of certain products purchased at any one time, which , I think is reasonable,also some major stores are allocating 1 or two hours at opening for seniors only to do there shopping - a great benefit to my wife and I - also those that offer it are now making deliveries of groceries for free, in fact you can order online, have your order delivered and never leave the house if you so wish. We are not as yet confined to barracks but I think it is just a matter of time. Her on our Island we have only one case so far, amazing really considering the amount of ferry traffic between here and the mainland and also the ferries from Washington State which has the highest number of cases in the US and was the first state to actually suffer from this virus.

Now that I have bored you all to death I shall retire to my workshop and try and finish all those projects that need it .

Stay well my internet friends, we all will emerge a little different on the other side of this, hopefully our leaders will have learned the lesson all boy scouts learn " BE PREPARED "

Thread: Fuels Paradise
16/03/2020 20:01:34

Frankly I wouldn't give castor the time of day, when I started in this hobby the norm was "the more castor the better" but after having a couple of my engines repaired and seeing the pitting that castor can cause I have used nothing but fuel with synthetic oil since, the worst thing I noticed about castor is that when it deposits itself on valves and exhaust ports it leaves a carbon deposit so hard that to pick it off actually leaves pitting. If those of you that use castor are happy with it then carry on you will get no argument from me, but it is not allowed even close to my flight box.

Tony...

Thread: Motor stutters near full throttle
13/03/2020 18:00:28

With some transmitters and esc combinations the TX throttle trim must be all the way down before calibrating, have you tried this ????

Thread: English language ?
13/03/2020 01:51:59

Me thinks you be wright Peter Jenkins. devil

Thread: Laser 180 Petrol
13/03/2020 01:30:25

Thanks Jon I will PM you my email.

12/03/2020 20:07:21

Well if one of those guys that have them sitting in a box and are not going to use them, send one out here to Canada I have a model that would be perfect for it ready to go right now and a another about to hit the building board,. Sorry to hear the frustration Jon I was really looking forward to this engine, good luck with the new project..

Tony....

Thread: Pinning hinges
05/03/2020 19:15:53

Unless i use Robart hinges I glue and "screw" all my hinges, using tiny screws from underneath the control surface, then a dab of paint to blend them in. This on sport models and fun scale, on a true scale model the hinge would be hidden if possible.

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Sussex Model Centre
CML
electricwingman 2017
Slec
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!