By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Broken Prop

Here is a list of all the postings Broken Prop has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Silhouette vinyl cutter files sharing
25/09/2019 09:31:03

I was intending to do a combination of the above with what Max has written. Using Frisket film to hold everything together is a possiblitiy and would help to place the large mask over the wing.

As Max has suggested, individual pieces of the mask could be taken out and replaced as required. The only thing that bothers me is that the cuts have a finite width and paint will bleed into them, possibly giving a false colour to the edge of a camo area of another colour.

I need to experiment before committing myself to a proper model!

24/09/2019 11:24:50

I am experimenting with cutting camouflage masks. I draw the outline of the pattern that I require in CAD using Bezier curves and then overlay the wing shape to scale on the pattern. The idea is to be able to lay the whole sheet over a wing and take out the parts not needed before spraying.

I need to replicate a three colour camo scheme and thought this might be a way forward. Early days yet so I cannot report on whether it works!

Pete

Thread: CAD Tool
18/09/2019 14:48:42

What Christopher says is quite true but unfortunately not all dxf files are the same. If the laser cutter is relatively new it should be able to cope, but if the machine is old it may not read all of the lines in a drawing as it will be set up to read dxf in AutoCad 2000 or something of similar vintage.

It would be worth enquiring at the laser cutting company. Also look in the 'Save' part of your program where you may find a choice of AutoCad file to save. Others may be more familiar with FreeCad V18 and can advise further.

Pete

Thread: Precedent Stampe 1/4 Scale
29/08/2019 09:16:38

I purchased one as well. Fingers crossed!

Thread: Laser cut kit, how many of you sand off the brown laser scorching before gluing?
13/08/2019 16:20:03

It is a good idea to sand off the surfaces that may end up under the covering, for instance the top and bottom of wing ribs and spars. The burnt surface of the wood can show through light coloured coverings.

Thread: Tony Nijhuis Harvard - Build Log
07/08/2019 10:27:18

Amazing work Geoff. Can't wait to see it fly!

Pete

Thread: Flexible power wires
07/08/2019 10:23:04

Heads up for Component Shop.

I have just bought some of their silicone wire and it appears to be of good quality. Very flexible as well.

Pete

Thread: Playboy Senior
06/08/2019 08:00:07

Hi Andy

I had the same problem with my Playboy Senior and finally settled for a CG position at 40% of the wing chord. Even so lt needed about 12oz of lead attached to the bulkhead and quite a lot of down elevator trim.

It still exhibits 'homesick angel' tendencies. Make sure that you get the engine tickover as low as possible otherwise it will float on and on when attempting to land.

It is a lovely plane to fly.

Thread: Commons Science and Technology Committee Enquiry on Drones
19/06/2019 09:55:42

Thanks Cymaz. I have just wandered through the document picking out odd submissions (I have the attention span of a gnat) and I was unable to find any from model flyers. Plenty from individual drone flyers, but none from our branch of the sport.

I have to admit that I did not know about the work of the committee until the day of the first hearing. I fear that because of that I lost the opportunity to contribute.

I thought that the BMFA submission was well rounded and informative. Of all of the submissions that I viewed, our association was the only one (including those from learned bodies) to submit statistics to back up the arguments.

Well done BMFA! Lets hope thet the committee can absorb the information and make well informed recommendations as a result.

Pete

12/06/2019 18:07:55

Beaten by Chris and others whilst typing! Well said gentlemen.

12/06/2019 18:05:22

As I understand it, the session on Tuesday was the first of a number of sittings for the committee. Hopefully the BMFA will be able to make our case at a future session, hence the statement released yesterday.

In passing I noted that the CAA representative, on being questioned about the registration fee, stated that operators will be responsible for the payment. He went on to indicate that clubs could possibly register as operators under the scheme. If so, each club regardless of size will only pay £16.50.

I cannot see that idea getting very far when the CAA realise just how much revenue they will be losing by not getting us all to register as individuals.

Also there will be legal requirements (and presumably sanctions) on operators under the proposed scheme. Whilst this is fine for commercial operators who can control their users, the average club will have little control over what its members do, for instance when flying alone on club premises.

Thread: Multiplex Profi TX safety warning
08/06/2019 16:12:08

Thanks Max!

Thread: What BMFA Flightfest is all about
14/05/2019 07:16:19

yesyesyes

Thread: TE from top/bottom sheet
10/05/2019 18:18:11

I have a clear copy of the Flair plan and it shows the ends of the ribs stopping 10mm in front of the rear edge of the trailing edge.

Your Fig 1 would be the appropriate version to use. I recall having to taper the inner faces of the trailing edge sheeting slightly in order to get a good fit.

BTW the plan shows a line of shear webbing along the front face of the trailing edges, which makes for a really robust wing!

Good luck with the build.

Pete

Thread: CAA registration consulation
08/05/2019 09:50:05

It is being stated that we do not own the air above our flying sites but I am not sure about that. In the 1980's London Transport woke up to the fact that they DID own the airspace above their tube stations.

They promptly sold the rights to developers and tall buildings were erected over Monument, Blackfriars, Mansion House and probably other stations as well.

Not sure if that helps us though as a tall building erected on our flying field would get in the way a bit....

01/05/2019 21:03:28

While we are all sitting here worrying about registration, events have taken a more sinister turn. It appears that CAP1775 contains an awful lot more than financial matters, for instance:

Age limits.

Not allowing the BMFA to register flyers on behalf of the CAA.

Repetitive competency requirements.

None of these matters are being offered for consultation but are to be implemented directly. The BMFA has highlighted the intended procedures in a news letter issued today and available on the BMFA website. It makes for sobering reading.

Basically we are being shafted!

30/04/2019 17:25:50

They will probably want to know if you are LGBT.

Edited By Broken Prop on 30/04/2019 17:26:44

Thread: Flair Tiger Moth, help needed.
16/03/2019 20:34:13

Yes I have the plans on order thanks to Robert Palmer who kindly drew my attention to the ad earlier today.

Thanks to all for the useful tips posted in response to my earlier plea. As always this forum is a veritable mine of information. I am particularly grateful for the photographs as they are always of help during a build. I intend to continue gathering the necessary accessories over the summer (spot me in the traders area at the NATS later on) and start the build as next winter's project.

Once again thanks to all for your kind assistance.

Pete

16/03/2019 13:38:59

Thanks Robert!

I have replied to you by PM.

Pete

01/03/2019 13:52:44

Hi Robert

I have to admit that I had not thought of that. Perhaps it was a bit too obvious. blush

Thanks for the pointer. BTW I have been avidly following your Do24 build blog. Wonderful stuff and please give us more of the same!

Pete

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Cambridge Gliding Club
CML
electricwingman 2017
Gliders Distribution
Pepe Aircraft
Slec
Wings & Wheels 2019
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
New Poll - Sticky situations...
Q: How often - when using superglue - do you end up with it on your fingers?

Every time
 Occasionally
 Sometimes
 Rarely
 Never
 Wear rubber gloves

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us