By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Broken Prop

Here is a list of all the postings Broken Prop has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Gutted!
23/09/2018 11:00:32

What can I say but commiserations Cliff. It was a lovely model.

Is it salvagable?

Thread: Identification needed
22/09/2018 19:50:03

The aircraft is a Fairy 111D. This type of aircraft was the first to fly the South Atlantic in 1922 piloted by two Portuguese naval officers. The flight started at Lisbon and I assume that the monument is to commemorate the event.

The actual aircraft is in the Naval Museum in Lisbon. They were brave men to tackle a long flight over open water in a single engined aircraft.

There is a nice article about the flight on the Aces Flying High website.

Pete

Thread: Battle of Britain: Model Squadron
10/09/2018 12:46:59

Wearing inappropriate outdoor clothing in bed? Yep, that's me alright!

I thoroughly enjoyed the programme although I was a bit worried about the carnage, as it might be seized upon by our detractors as being typical of the way we fly. In actual fact I thought the participants flew extremely well given the wind and the constraints of the programme director's brief.

It would be nice if it all results in an increase in model flyers, however modest it might be. I am looking forward to the next two episodes.

Pete.

Thread: plotter/cutter
07/09/2018 13:26:38

Thumbs up for the Silhouette Cameo. The ability to cut vinyl up to 12 inches wide is extremely useful. As others have said, the software is very flexible too.

Silhouette also make a roll holder that clips to the front of the machine, allowing you to use vinyl straight off a long roll without cutting it up first. The holder contains a small guillotine and guide for cutting the sheet off square afterwards.

OK its a bit of a luxury, but it saves having to fiddle with a long unwieldy sheet of material whilst trying to feed it squarely into the Cameo's feed rollers.

Thread: Extra 230 in Jaguar Cars livery
24/08/2018 14:20:12

That is very nice indeed Nick!

Thread: Thinking of changing my car
08/08/2018 09:41:16

Jaguar XF Sportbrake. Cavernous boot area and it has refrigerated seats. yes

Thread: Cornwall Aviation Co Ltd Avro 504k Aerobatics and Wing Walking
06/08/2018 08:52:28

Thanks for sharing that with us Gordon. Some fascinating footage in that film!

Thread: Sheep and black cars!
05/08/2018 11:51:40

I read the other day that flies and bugs are attracted to dark colours, hence we should wear light coloured clothing in the country .

Perhaps the sheep are using the black cars to draw the flies away.

(I'll be amazed if that is right!)

Thread: Accurate Stick Cutting - What's the Secret?
02/08/2018 18:56:41

Surely you mean your own teeth?

02/08/2018 09:48:48

I'll second that! Thanks for sharing PatMc.

01/08/2018 22:17:56

Cutting the sticks that form diagonals in a fuselage is a real problem. I am am not sure that there is a 'right way' and there is certainly no quick way that I know of.

What I do is switch on Classic FM, lay the stick over its intended position and mark one end for cutting. Saw off using the cutting board to keep the end of the stick square (hold the stick at an angle to the saw guide).

Then sand to fit. Once you are satisfied with that end, lay the stick in position and do the same to the other end. Always cut slightly long and then sand down. It takes ages to do them all and there will be a fair amount of wastage until you get the hang of it.

(Now you know why I turn on Classic FM before I start) laugh

01/08/2018 21:24:57

Permagrit sanding blocks have a dead square profile. Lay the block sideways on the bench and sand the end of the stick square.

For cutting square ends make a cutting board from a sheet of timber about 20mm thick. Fit a bench stop to the underside and on top of the sheet screw down a wide strip of timber with one end slightly inset from end of the sheet. The end needs to be sanded smooth.

To use, hold the stick up against the wide strip and use the end as a razor saw guide. It will produce nice square cuts.

Thread: Going to the Shows: What does your pitch comprise of:
01/08/2018 08:43:36

I stay at my son's house, about an hour up the A1. It does give me the opportunity to sample the delights of a motorway service area breakfast every day on my way to the show. frown

Essential packing? Indigestion tablets.....

Thread: Telemetry - do you use it? What do you think of it?
29/07/2018 09:12:24

I agree with Frank. The Unisens sensors are very good and are easy to set up via your PC. They are also tiny, which makes fitting them into slim glider fuselages a lot easier.

They are compatible with most well known makes of transmitter.

Thread: Your favourite 3 songs
14/07/2018 08:33:21

Comfortably Numb.......Pink Floyd

Heard it through the grapevine........Marvin Gaye

Get it right next time........Gerry Rafferty

In reserve as it always reduces me to tears;

Nessun Dorma when sung by Luciano Pavarotti

Thread: Avicraft Panic - Plans & CofG?
13/07/2018 12:44:28

The CG for the kit version is the same. 100mm behind the leading edge of the top wing.

Pete

12/07/2018 18:56:12

Hi Andy

That looks like a nice plane you have there. It should fly well with the 46 up front although others have severely over engined these planes in the past. A 90 would you believe?

You are right about the foam wing. That was produced some years back although I believe that spares are still available.

I am away from my desk at the moment but I should be able to find out the CG for you tomorrow.

I don't think there are any offical plans out there as the Panic was only produced with written instructions using small diagrams to illustrate points in the build. In truth they were so easy to put together that plans were not really necessary!

Percy. They still make the venerable old beast, but in a more user friendly format these days. The wings for instance are now balsa framed and use notched spars and a pierced traiing edge so that the whole wing can clipped together and then glued with SuperPhatic or the instant penetrating glue of your choice. It is possible to build a wing panel in about 15 minutes using cyano.

Pete

Edited By Broken Prop on 12/07/2018 18:57:28

Thread: Lest We Forget
06/07/2018 08:26:31

I read somewhere that a third of all pilots killed were under training at the time.

Thread: vinyl cutters
19/06/2018 15:04:46

yesyes for the birthday present!

Another snippet that I heard was that some enterprising soul had managed to cut 1/16th thick balsa wing ribs using a Cameo.

Now, if that is true, it opens up a whole new world of home design and build. If anyone out there knows of such a thing, please post on here. (I am not sure I want to try it on my machine for fear of breaking something). laugh

Pete

19/06/2018 08:37:15

Sorry Chris, the company is MDP Supplies. As for the other thread on here, search under 'Vinyl Cutting'

P

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Wings & Wheels 2018
Overlander
Expo Tools 14 July
electricwingman 2017
CML
Slec
Airtek Hobbies
Motion RC
Gliders Distribution
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Which part of building a new traditional balsa aeroplane do you enjoy the most?
Q: Which part of building a new traditional balsa aeroplane do you enjoy the most?

Research & choosing the model
 Building the fuselage
 Installing the engine and radio systems
 Building the flying surfaces
 Covering/painting/finishing
 All of it!
 None of it. I'd rather someone else did it!
 Other

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us