By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Broken Prop

Here is a list of all the postings Broken Prop has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: The Gov't, CAA, BMFA & UAV legislation thread
29/11/2019 12:50:12

Well, thats a good start! Just tried to take the CAA test; first question is 'What is your email address?' I filled that in and got a message stating that there is a problem with the service.

Nothing new there then.

Edited By Broken Prop on 29/11/2019 12:50:52

Thread: Junior 60 Rebuild
26/11/2019 16:57:42

Hi Phil

I did a similar mod to my J60 a couple of years back. Well worth doing as the flights are more controllable now; before it would float on and on when trying to land with the engine on tickover.

Also I can now turn off the motor and glide for long periods. Fifteen to twenty minute flights are possible using five minutes of motor burn in increments.

As your proposed setup will be lighter in weight than the IC version, you may have to move the battery well forward. Mine (2200Ah 3 cell) is mounted immediately under the motor with access from the front via a removable lower nose panel. In that position very secure fixings are recommended but hardly any extra weight is needed.

If you do not already have the leccy bits, 4Max do a recommended setup for the J60 which works well.

Good luck and welcome to the dark side!

Pete

Thread: Avicraft Panic
22/11/2019 08:41:06

Further to my post above, Robert Newman has confirmed that all parts can be cut to order at the shop, no matter what vintage. The 'Perikns Panic' uses the same parts as the originals.

Just ring 0208 460 0818 and talk to Rob.

Pete

15/11/2019 13:27:15

Avicraft are currently using Perkins to distribute Panic kits so in theory they should be available at a model shop near you. There are some in stock at Avicraft though.

Frantic and Moronic kits are still available through the shop as is the ever popular Mini Panic. They are all cut to order so a simple phone call will secure one.

Andy mentioned parts availability. As the kits are laser cut at the shop, any parts can be cut to order although as the design has evolved over the years there may be detail changes. Best to talk to Robert Newman if you have an ancient but treasured model that needs TLC.

I am not sure if the 'Perkins Panic' uses the same parts as the shop version. I will ask.

Pete

Edited By Broken Prop on 15/11/2019 13:36:09

Thread: Bad news from Germany
09/11/2019 12:26:05

Thanks Frank. Hopefully the radio manufacturing is not affected as I believe that is carried out in-house.

09/11/2019 09:24:41

That is terrible news. I have used their products for many years and agree with the comments above. Quality products.

I hope that they can get back on their feet soon.

Thread: Your best vacuum cleaner?
01/11/2019 19:05:04

John I suppose they do if you only vacuum once a year! devil

01/11/2019 13:52:39

I notice that I contributed to this thread in 2014, extolling the virtues of a Vorverk. It is still going strong and I expect it to last for many more years. (The last one went on for 24 years before finally giving up).

OK they are very expensive, but you get an enormous range of accessories and they are very efficient. How many Henrys or Dysons would you buy in 24 years?

winkPete

Thread: Relaxing Sopwith Camel flight from the Cockpit.
26/10/2019 18:20:27

Lovely!

Thread: The Gov't, CAA, BMFA & UAV legislation thread
24/10/2019 18:39:50

I'll vote alongside Chris. To me it makes perfect sense to wrap the whole registration process up as part of my annual renewal of BMFA subs.

While I have some airtime, I would like to thank those hardworking BMFA members who have spent no doubt countless hours negotiating with civil servants in order to get us a reasonably sensible deal. I have personal experience of this process, which is a bit like punching a sponge. Well done guys!

Thread: Ankle Deep in balsa Shavings
23/10/2019 10:10:12

I suffer from that Tom, but usually in relation to statements about Brexit.

Thread: What are your three favourite war movies?
20/10/2019 12:19:50

Band of Brothers

Ice Cold in Alex. (love the ending in the bar in Cairo)

But above all, for sheer realism, Das Boot takes the prize for me

ALAAAARM!

Thread: Silhouette vinyl cutter files sharing
25/09/2019 09:31:03

I was intending to do a combination of the above with what Max has written. Using Frisket film to hold everything together is a possiblitiy and would help to place the large mask over the wing.

As Max has suggested, individual pieces of the mask could be taken out and replaced as required. The only thing that bothers me is that the cuts have a finite width and paint will bleed into them, possibly giving a false colour to the edge of a camo area of another colour.

I need to experiment before committing myself to a proper model!

24/09/2019 11:24:50

I am experimenting with cutting camouflage masks. I draw the outline of the pattern that I require in CAD using Bezier curves and then overlay the wing shape to scale on the pattern. The idea is to be able to lay the whole sheet over a wing and take out the parts not needed before spraying.

I need to replicate a three colour camo scheme and thought this might be a way forward. Early days yet so I cannot report on whether it works!

Pete

Thread: CAD Tool
18/09/2019 14:48:42

What Christopher says is quite true but unfortunately not all dxf files are the same. If the laser cutter is relatively new it should be able to cope, but if the machine is old it may not read all of the lines in a drawing as it will be set up to read dxf in AutoCad 2000 or something of similar vintage.

It would be worth enquiring at the laser cutting company. Also look in the 'Save' part of your program where you may find a choice of AutoCad file to save. Others may be more familiar with FreeCad V18 and can advise further.

Pete

Thread: Precedent Stampe 1/4 Scale
29/08/2019 09:16:38

I purchased one as well. Fingers crossed!

Thread: Laser cut kit, how many of you sand off the brown laser scorching before gluing?
13/08/2019 16:20:03

It is a good idea to sand off the surfaces that may end up under the covering, for instance the top and bottom of wing ribs and spars. The burnt surface of the wood can show through light coloured coverings.

Thread: Tony Nijhuis Harvard - Build Log
07/08/2019 10:27:18

Amazing work Geoff. Can't wait to see it fly!

Pete

Thread: Flexible power wires
07/08/2019 10:23:04

Heads up for Component Shop.

I have just bought some of their silicone wire and it appears to be of good quality. Very flexible as well.

Pete

Thread: Playboy Senior
06/08/2019 08:00:07

Hi Andy

I had the same problem with my Playboy Senior and finally settled for a CG position at 40% of the wing chord. Even so lt needed about 12oz of lead attached to the bulkhead and quite a lot of down elevator trim.

It still exhibits 'homesick angel' tendencies. Make sure that you get the engine tickover as low as possible otherwise it will float on and on when attempting to land.

It is a lovely plane to fly.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Support Our Partners
Gliders Distribution
Cambridge Gliding Club
electricwingman 2017
Slec
Wings & Wheels 2019
Pepe Aircraft
CML
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Do you use a throttle kill switch?
Q: This refers to electric-powered models but do you use a throttle kill switch?

Yes
 No
 Sometimes
 Rarely

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us