By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Broken Prop

Here is a list of all the postings Broken Prop has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Tony Nijhuis Harvard - Build Log
11/11/2018 21:31:51

That is coming on nicely Geoff. Looking forward to seeing it in the air!

Pete

Thread: Majestic Major (electric) build.
08/11/2018 18:16:52

'Imperial Major?'

I like the sound of that as it reflects the conservative stiff upper lip Britishness of the design. After all, when the original was penned we still had an an Empire, (well sort of).

wink

07/11/2018 13:42:31

I use the same method as Don to fix the wheels on all my vintage models. The only difference is that I fit an 'R' pin instead of a split pin.

My wife says I am always 'arpin on.......

I'll get my coat.

Thread: Home DIY
06/11/2018 20:40:45

Gary, as advised, drilling into a Catnic pressed steel lintol can be done with cobalt twist drills. However it is difficult to get a twist drill to start cutting in steel so a good tip is to use a lathe centre to drill a small hole first. A lathe centre forms a countersunk hole with the taper at a steeper angle than a twist drill. This allows the latter to bite and get started.

If it is an RSJ or possibly a Structural Hollow Section, these are made from high carbon steel and just laugh at normal drill bits. Buy a broach cutter (lots for sale on ebay), which is what steel fabricators use. Broaches tear into structural steelwork like a knife into butter.

If the member is a structural steel section you will not be able to get a screw to bite into it as the steel is too tough for the screw to form a thread. However you can tap the hole to take a small bolt.

Good luck!

Pete

Thread: Majestic Major (electric) build.
05/11/2018 20:30:37

Thanks for sharing this build with us David. I am an avid subscriber now. Truly a masterclass!

I particularly enjoyed your sub-thread on wire bending and the use of registration marks. Much better than the 'looks about right' approach that I normally adopt.

More please!

pete

Thread: Puller for a prop driver
21/10/2018 22:25:09

Thanks for the pointers guys! It looks a nice bit of kit so I'll get one.

P

21/10/2018 14:43:17

Hi Guys

I need to get the crankshaft out of a Saito 30 but the prop driver is very tight. Does anyone know where I can buy a small puller suitable for this job?

Thanks in advance

Pete

Thread: When modelling money saving goes too far...
03/10/2018 21:00:32

A dear old friend of mine, now sadly departed, was an aeromodeller of the old school. He quite liked the switch from razor blades to scalpels, but kept a small oil stone on the bench with which to re-sharpen them.

When I first heard of this I thought it amusing, but guess what? I do the same thing now!

Thread: Depth Perception.
27/09/2018 09:37:40

You have my sympathy David. Many a time I have landed on the runway threshold, thinking my plane to be closer than it actually was.

There is a small trick that can help. Clench your fist and stick the thumb up. Hold out your arm and place the top of the clenched fist along the horizon line. The tip of your thumb is then at about 6 degrees above, which is the best angle of approach. The plane should stay at this 'height' all the way in to touchdown, which should be close to you and hence on the runway.

It sounds a bit crude but it does work. Incidentally, if you want a 3 degree flat approach, the knuckle of yuor thumb is about right.

Thread: Tony Nijhuis Harvard - Build Log
25/09/2018 20:26:00

I've put this build in my diary Geoff. Glad to see it underway and look forward to more details.

Pete

Thread: Disappearing Lasers
24/09/2018 12:04:37

Nice one John!

Thread: Gutted!
23/09/2018 11:00:32

What can I say but commiserations Cliff. It was a lovely model.

Is it salvagable?

Thread: Identification needed
22/09/2018 19:50:03

The aircraft is a Fairy 111D. This type of aircraft was the first to fly the South Atlantic in 1922 piloted by two Portuguese naval officers. The flight started at Lisbon and I assume that the monument is to commemorate the event.

The actual aircraft is in the Naval Museum in Lisbon. They were brave men to tackle a long flight over open water in a single engined aircraft.

There is a nice article about the flight on the Aces Flying High website.

Pete

Thread: Battle of Britain: Model Squadron
10/09/2018 12:46:59

Wearing inappropriate outdoor clothing in bed? Yep, that's me alright!

I thoroughly enjoyed the programme although I was a bit worried about the carnage, as it might be seized upon by our detractors as being typical of the way we fly. In actual fact I thought the participants flew extremely well given the wind and the constraints of the programme director's brief.

It would be nice if it all results in an increase in model flyers, however modest it might be. I am looking forward to the next two episodes.

Pete.

Thread: plotter/cutter
07/09/2018 13:26:38

Thumbs up for the Silhouette Cameo. The ability to cut vinyl up to 12 inches wide is extremely useful. As others have said, the software is very flexible too.

Silhouette also make a roll holder that clips to the front of the machine, allowing you to use vinyl straight off a long roll without cutting it up first. The holder contains a small guillotine and guide for cutting the sheet off square afterwards.

OK its a bit of a luxury, but it saves having to fiddle with a long unwieldy sheet of material whilst trying to feed it squarely into the Cameo's feed rollers.

Thread: Extra 230 in Jaguar Cars livery
24/08/2018 14:20:12

That is very nice indeed Nick!

Thread: Thinking of changing my car
08/08/2018 09:41:16

Jaguar XF Sportbrake. Cavernous boot area and it has refrigerated seats. yes

Thread: Cornwall Aviation Co Ltd Avro 504k Aerobatics and Wing Walking
06/08/2018 08:52:28

Thanks for sharing that with us Gordon. Some fascinating footage in that film!

Thread: Sheep and black cars!
05/08/2018 11:51:40

I read the other day that flies and bugs are attracted to dark colours, hence we should wear light coloured clothing in the country .

Perhaps the sheep are using the black cars to draw the flies away.

(I'll be amazed if that is right!)

Thread: Accurate Stick Cutting - What's the Secret?
02/08/2018 18:56:41

Surely you mean your own teeth?

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Motion RC
Overlander
Slec
Airtek Hobbies
electricwingman 2017
Gliders Distribution
Expo Tools 14 July
Wings & Wheels 2018
CML
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Which part of building a new traditional balsa aeroplane do you enjoy the most?
Q: Which part of building a new traditional balsa aeroplane do you enjoy the most?

Research & choosing the model
 Building the fuselage
 Installing the engine and radio systems
 Building the flying surfaces
 Covering/painting/finishing
 All of it!
 None of it. I'd rather someone else did it!
 Other

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us