By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for John Lee

Here is a list of all the postings John Lee has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Greetings for a noob
31/08/2019 16:15:47
Posted by Peter Miller on 31/08/2019 12:19:11:

Well one book that is pretty good is available from Amazon

**LINK**

Then many of the recent plans in RCM&E have build blogs on this forum. The instructions that come with the plans are usually pretty good too.

Solarfilm used to do a DVD on covering for tche cost of 4 first class stamps.

You could try them **LINK**

The Solarfilm DVD (which I highly recommend) is now available on YouTube: Link

Thread: Unimat lathe?
21/08/2019 15:21:12

To get an indication of worth of virtually anything if you go on Ebay & search for the item & then select the 'Sold Listings' option on the left hand menu you can see what they have fetched recently.

In the case of Unimat SL there have been several sold in the last month for between £250 & £550.

Thread: What is the minimum slope for a slope soarer?...
18/08/2019 09:51:25

Years ago I flew a SAS Blob off the local 10 meter high sea defence wall and whilst I could stay airborne I quickly came to the conclusion it was all too marginal and never bothered to try again. No doubt a modern DLG would be better but I would not like to try any PSS.

Thread: KST 125 and Savox on 6V
11/08/2019 16:49:48

I've run 4 KST135MG, which I think is the same as the 125 with just a different gear ratio, in the wing of my Mini Vector for several years on 5cell NiMh with absolutely no problems. Afraid I have no experience of the Savox.

Thread: Searching for a IC ducted fan plan from the 90s Chris Golds?
07/08/2019 15:48:37

Guy, welcome & could it be this one?

Thread: Model Recommendation
30/07/2019 12:00:39

My 3s 450's are used in a Sharkface, Tomboy & Hacker Me163, all great fun & recommended. Various kits & laser cut parts are available for he Sharkface & Tomboy.

Thread: Servo Torque guide - Sport Flying (electric)
28/07/2019 19:29:39

If the servos held in the pro-spin controls they must by definition have been be powerful enough. If they were not the control surfaces would have blown back.

Thread: Where to get Good RX switches from?
28/07/2019 19:23:32
Posted by Cuban8 on 28/07/2019 12:49:42:
Posted by John Lee on 28/07/2019 12:25:21:

Inwood I used the 'JR/Spektrum switch with DSC/Charge Lead Black& Silver Front', for decades when I flew IC, not cheap now but I've never had a failure, albeit I replaced them every 2/3 years as part of routine maintenance.

Did you ever dismantle an old one that you'd changed just to see what was justifying the high price?

I never did but the cost at the time was under a fiver & they were often on offer at the shows. I was surprised to see how expensive they have become when I looked them up for the link.

28/07/2019 12:25:21

Inwood I used the 'JR/Spektrum switch with DSC/Charge Lead Black& Silver Front', for decades when I flew IC, not cheap now but I've never had a failure, albeit I replaced them every 2/3 years as part of routine maintenance.

Thread: Finding Models
27/07/2019 16:05:08

The July edition of the Magazine gave the Vifly Finder2 a good write up. It's a stand alone unit which uses a 'very loud beeper' & LED light signals.

Thread: Birthday discount from HK?...
22/07/2019 17:39:10

From the T&C's:

HobbyKing sells product in USD only. Any foreign currency exchange rates on HobbyKing.com that are not USD are indicative only (you WILL be charged in USD regardless of the warehouse that you purchase from). HobbyKing.com provides the exchange rate tool as a guide only. During the checkout process, HobbyKing.com will pass the price in USD to PayPal whom will do the exact currency exchange for you according to PayPal's currency exchange rates. The customer will then have the opportunity to accept or reject PayPal's currency exchange rate. HobbyKing.com is not liable for the relationship between the customer and PayPal.

I always pay with my Halifax Clarity Credit Card which works out about 3%-5% cheaper than using PayPal.

22/07/2019 11:27:52

When you go to checkout there is a box for you to insert it. Best of luck - mine did not work.

Thread: AND finally.....the 'Mini Jet' TSR2
20/07/2019 13:25:29

Probably as well to stretch the TSR2's wings. The full size was rumoured to have more wheel area than wing area!

Look forward to it.

Thread: Pushrod Transfer Links
19/07/2019 16:31:40

Takes me back a bit. MK models of Japan used to do ball raced high quality transfer arms, but they were niche products and disappeared when quality small servos that could be placed anywhere in the model became the norm. I've still got this one in my bits draw from an F3A model:

unadjustednonraw_thumb_f5f.jpg

Edited By John Lee on 19/07/2019 16:32:06

Thread: Shipping Lipos to Australia
19/07/2019 13:23:30

See the CAA restrictions here, in addition there may be airline restrictions. You are limited to 2 batteries not exceeding 160 watt hours so it is not much use for your 'couple of dozen' Lipo.

I can only suggest that you try other shipping companies, perhaps through a comparison site such as shiply.com

Thread: FMS T28 Trojan v4.
19/07/2019 11:18:59

Thanks for the tip David, I've not had a problem, but this morning I've done as you have suggested with my FMS Hawk.

The T28 just seems to be the perfect layout for fine flying models. I've never flown a bad one, from the micro indoor to giant scale. I presently have the 1.2meter & 2 metre E-flite versions. They go well with a very solid 'sit' in the air and are definite keepers.

Thread: hobbyking web site
19/07/2019 11:08:08

I ordered 3 x 6s Lipo from the EU warehouse on Friday 12th July which came with free postage. Delivered Wed 17th via Royal Mail ParclePost.

Thread: Wots Wot Deluxe Kit
15/07/2019 16:49:13

Jonathan I used to use SP113 resin & 24g/sq metre cloth. It's probably over a decade since I last bought any though (not needed now I fly electric) and I can't recall seeing SP113 of late.

I've used Bucks Composites at major model shows for Carbon rods, they have a full range of products & I would go to them if I needed materials in the future. You may want to have a look at them, with the caveat that I've no experience of their resins. Perhaps someone else here can give an endorsement?

13/07/2019 17:01:06
Posted by Jonathan Quayle on 13/07/2019 13:25:09:
John, thanks for this. Was durability or main reason for the glass finish? I fly of an a pretty poor surface so this would help.

Jonathan, yes durability was the reason, but not so much from the flying surface.

When flying IC & using conventional fuel proofers my models eventually suffered from the absorption of fuel & exhaust residues over the years which led to them becoming increasingly tatty & being pensioned off. The only thing that worked for me was to coat the inside with epoxy resin during the build & finish the outside with glass, epoxy & spray paint.

I now fly exclusively electric but the last IC model I still have is a Wot4 built about 1984 & finished in this way. It has had hundreds of flights & last flew a few years ago, but it is still completely sound & I could take it out tomorrow & fly it (it's on its third OS40 FSR but still has the original Futaba 128/148 servos).

13/07/2019 11:10:21

I built one back in the 90's. It's a very straightforward build so if that's your preference I say go for it.

I finished mine it in glass cloth & epoxy & it came out a bit heavy. It was powered initially with an Irvine 72 & when that wore out I put in a J'en 90, both 2-strokes. Both were over the top power wise but we had a tendency then to see how big an engine we could stuff in the various Wots. It was as tough as old boots & I eventually sold it after about 10 years hard use only to see it on Ebay a few years later still going strong.

So to answer your questions Jonathan:

1) Yes, as have hundreds if not thousands done so over the years.

2) Yes, should be no problem given your description of your abilities.

3) Follow Chris's guidelines - .45 - 60, 2 stroke or 60-90 4 stroke. If I was to build another I'd keep it lighter than previous and use an OS 55 AX.

4) No gotchas but do use the optional GRP undercarriage & cowl.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Pepe Aircraft
Gliders Distribution
Slec
Addlestone Models
Cambridge Gliding Club
Wings & Wheels 2019
CML
electricwingman 2017
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
New Poll - Sticky situations...
Q: How often - when using superglue - do you end up with it on your fingers?

Every time
 Occasionally
 Sometimes
 Rarely
 Never
 Wear rubber gloves

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us