By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for John Lee

Here is a list of all the postings John Lee has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: AND finally.....the 'Mini Jet' TSR2
20/07/2019 13:25:29

Probably as well to stretch the TSR2's wings. The full size was rumoured to have more wheel area than wing area!

Look forward to it.

Thread: Pushrod Transfer Links
19/07/2019 16:31:40

Takes me back a bit. MK models of Japan used to do ball raced high quality transfer arms, but they were niche products and disappeared when quality small servos that could be placed anywhere in the model became the norm. I've still got this one in my bits draw from an F3A model:

unadjustednonraw_thumb_f5f.jpg

Edited By John Lee on 19/07/2019 16:32:06

Thread: Shipping Lipos to Australia
19/07/2019 13:23:30

See the CAA restrictions here, in addition there may be airline restrictions. You are limited to 2 batteries not exceeding 160 watt hours so it is not much use for your 'couple of dozen' Lipo.

I can only suggest that you try other shipping companies, perhaps through a comparison site such as shiply.com

Thread: FMS T28 Trojan v4.
19/07/2019 11:18:59

Thanks for the tip David, I've not had a problem, but this morning I've done as you have suggested with my FMS Hawk.

The T28 just seems to be the perfect layout for fine flying models. I've never flown a bad one, from the micro indoor to giant scale. I presently have the 1.2meter & 2 metre E-flite versions. They go well with a very solid 'sit' in the air and are definite keepers.

Thread: hobbyking web site
19/07/2019 11:08:08

I ordered 3 x 6s Lipo from the EU warehouse on Friday 12th July which came with free postage. Delivered Wed 17th via Royal Mail ParclePost.

Thread: Wots Wot Deluxe Kit
15/07/2019 16:49:13

Jonathan I used to use SP113 resin & 24g/sq metre cloth. It's probably over a decade since I last bought any though (not needed now I fly electric) and I can't recall seeing SP113 of late.

I've used Bucks Composites at major model shows for Carbon rods, they have a full range of products & I would go to them if I needed materials in the future. You may want to have a look at them, with the caveat that I've no experience of their resins. Perhaps someone else here can give an endorsement?

13/07/2019 17:01:06
Posted by Jonathan Quayle on 13/07/2019 13:25:09:
John, thanks for this. Was durability or main reason for the glass finish? I fly of an a pretty poor surface so this would help.

Jonathan, yes durability was the reason, but not so much from the flying surface.

When flying IC & using conventional fuel proofers my models eventually suffered from the absorption of fuel & exhaust residues over the years which led to them becoming increasingly tatty & being pensioned off. The only thing that worked for me was to coat the inside with epoxy resin during the build & finish the outside with glass, epoxy & spray paint.

I now fly exclusively electric but the last IC model I still have is a Wot4 built about 1984 & finished in this way. It has had hundreds of flights & last flew a few years ago, but it is still completely sound & I could take it out tomorrow & fly it (it's on its third OS40 FSR but still has the original Futaba 128/148 servos).

13/07/2019 11:10:21

I built one back in the 90's. It's a very straightforward build so if that's your preference I say go for it.

I finished mine it in glass cloth & epoxy & it came out a bit heavy. It was powered initially with an Irvine 72 & when that wore out I put in a J'en 90, both 2-strokes. Both were over the top power wise but we had a tendency then to see how big an engine we could stuff in the various Wots. It was as tough as old boots & I eventually sold it after about 10 years hard use only to see it on Ebay a few years later still going strong.

So to answer your questions Jonathan:

1) Yes, as have hundreds if not thousands done so over the years.

2) Yes, should be no problem given your description of your abilities.

3) Follow Chris's guidelines - .45 - 60, 2 stroke or 60-90 4 stroke. If I was to build another I'd keep it lighter than previous and use an OS 55 AX.

4) No gotchas but do use the optional GRP undercarriage & cowl.

Thread: Flying car
13/07/2019 00:03:24

Hope it did not happen in an airfield flight restriction zone otherwise he’d be in real trouble

Thread: Ebay sellers...
11/07/2019 18:53:37

Here's a nice little 'plane, but I can't help but think the pricing is a trifle optimistic.....

Thread: Back issue of copy please !
08/07/2019 18:02:04

Maurice I posted a copy of that article in this thread which I am sure you will find of interest.

Sorry but my original magazine stays with me!

Thread: Soldering Stations
08/07/2019 17:50:47

Lots of good suggestions in this thread, I'm rather tempted by the one Peter Christy bought.

Thread: National Model Aviation Museum, Muncie, USA
03/07/2019 20:41:17

Nice look at the AMA Museum here.

Thread: Gimble
03/07/2019 20:17:13

If you have a look in the online user manuals on the Spectrum Website there is a sketch of the back of the gimbals in the section 'Mechanical Conversion'. There are several DX8 variants but the ones I looked at do not appear to be the same as my DX9.

Thread: Local club attendance
01/07/2019 12:18:24

I am a Member of a small Club which this year started a 'WhatsApp' Group for Members which enables very quick & easy passing of the 'Who's going flying' type of messages, which have been successful in increasing flying field attendance.

Out of a Membership of 24, sixteen have joined the WhatsApp Group & we typically see a third to half the Membership on our 2 main flying days a week. There has also been a noticeable increase in attendance on other days when if someone posts, eg, 'Lovely day I'm going down the strip at 2pm' invariably they will have company.

On the back of this a local Slope Soaring Club, which I am also a Member of, have also started a WhatsApp Group which has also proved popular.

In each case WhatsApp is a supplement, and not a substitute, for other Club communications.

Thread: How does a BMFA Country Member get an A Certificate?
28/06/2019 15:50:41
Posted by Tim Flyer on 28/06/2019 15:34:53:

Generally I think the BMFA achievement schemes are good but they do not seem to that well supported.

At an Achievement Scheme Roadshow in March we were told that over 20,000 Achievement Scheme Certificates had been issued to date. I think that qualifies as being well supported.

Thread: Help needed with film covering
27/06/2019 17:26:04

I can't help you in person Julian due to my location in the North West but I would recommend The Solarfilm DVD as the definitive information source of how to do it correctly. Produced by Solarfilm themselves (I think as a videotape) it put me on the right track decades ago, now someone has made it available on YouTube. Runs for about an hour & a half.

Thread: Weston Park Worth the Risk of Showers?
14/06/2019 20:02:19

Had a great day there today, thanks to Steve & all his team. The flight line was in full swing all day & all the trade stands were open.

The ground overall is still firm, but naturally rather wet. However where there has been an amount of foot or vehicle traffic it has become muddy & increasingly churned up.

We were directed to a parking area on the higher ground towards the house on the left of the driveway, which was fine. The lower area to the right of the driveway where we normally park had obviously collected more water and was becoming churned up by the traders & campers vehicles. There were not that many visitors today but if they adopt the same procedure tomorrow be prepared for a bit of a walk to the traders & flight line.

Wellies or sturdy boots recommended, but well worth the effort.

Thread: Model Finders
13/06/2019 08:52:51

There is a review of the Vifly Finder 2 in the latest (July 19) edition of RCM&E

Thread: Ripmax ARTF stocks
10/06/2019 16:42:49

It's happened before over the last few years, often around this time, I remember Clubmates hoping to buy them at Weston Park and being unsuccessful. I'm sure the shops will be flooded with them again when the next container arrives from the production in China. Feast or famine.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Motion RC
electricwingman 2017
Pepe Aircraft
Wings & Wheels 2019
CML
Slec
Gliders Distribution
Revoc
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Does your club have a safety officer?
Q: Does your club have a safety officer, or is the emphasis on individual members to each be their own safety officer?

Yes we have a SO
 No, it's down to everyone

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us