By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for John Lee

Here is a list of all the postings John Lee has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: U/C. Quandry
06/10/2018 17:20:38

fb3 can't you just position the plans so that the bottom of the fuselage is on the edge of the building board, then assemble the fuselage on its side with the U/C dangling in the air?

Thread: TX talking to 2 RX's in different models at the same time?
05/10/2018 09:20:50
Posted by Martin McIntosh on 04/10/2018 22:30:59:

I have a very much under used Taranis and as I understand it the X8`s give model match but not the D8`s.

I normally use a JR DSX9 and there is no way that I have discovered which allows binding to two Rx`s simultaneously.

I can bind my DSX12 to two Rx's. Just insert the bind plugs into both Rx's turn on the Tx in bind mode & both will connect. Agree in normal use once one is bound to the Tx it will not connect to another.

Thread: Spektrum DX 6 Receivers ???
03/10/2018 22:02:14

The AR620 is about to be released, which has an internal aerial

Thread: UKCAA @ Huddersfield MAC - 30th September (Revised)
03/10/2018 11:52:55

Good to see my old Mystic 90 is still alive & well in David's hands

Thread: Second plane advice
01/10/2018 15:29:45

I would recommend the Parkzone T-28 if you like the look of it. Great flying model & now available with all the stability aids, so you can start 'protected' & gradually turn them down/off as you get comfortable.

With umpteen years experience I still enjoy flying one & also have the 2 larger versions that Horizon Hobby distribute, all go really well. And it's a scale warbird!

Thread: Transmitter Stick Length and Tension
30/09/2018 16:11:38
Posted by John Stainforth on 30/09/2018 13:22:49:

I used to fiddle about with stick length and tension until an experienced American flyer told me it was a waste of time. Now I just use the transmitters as they come straight out of the box.

I'm the exact opposite. The first thing I do when I buy a new transmitter is adjust the stick length & tension to suit me, it's certainly not a waste of time for me.

As Nigel in the OP says 'whatever suits you'

Edited By John Lee on 30/09/2018 16:12:15

Thread: Fusion
29/09/2018 20:30:21

If you are after a kit I'm pretty sure that I saw a couple in Whitchurch Models, Shropshire last time I was in. They don't do on-line trading but Martin there is very helpful & will mail order. Give him a ring if interested 01948 667766.

Thread: Plan protection
25/09/2018 15:41:47
Posted by Alan Gorham_ on 25/09/2018 12:00:49:

SLEC sell a specific plan protection film which I have used before:

**LINK**

+1, works well, I always keep a spare pack in stock & it saves scratching around for substitutes.

Thread: Ply sheets
25/09/2018 15:33:32

I usually stock up at one of the shows but I noticed a small selection of both ply & balsa in my local HobbyCraft store (one of the National Chain) this morning. No 1mm though on this occasion, but it could be worth checking if you have a local store & you get stuck for supplies in the the middle of a project.

Thread: RC Hotel
21/09/2018 20:39:15

No you would not starve Garry, put on weight more likely. There is plenty of choice in the menus, which change daily.

Sundays are the days for the traditional English Roast dinner, Wednesdays are BBQ, you can have a full English Breakfast every day if you like.

Spiros worked in the hospitality trade in Yorkshire in his youth, that & the predominance of UK guests means he is well used to such requests. Plenty of Greek food also on offer if you feel adventurous one day. Have a look here

20/09/2018 09:29:17

Posted by John Lee on 27/08/2018 18:02:40:

Magic place, I've been going 2-3 times a year since it started in 2000

Likewise John & John, what's your impression over the years?

Fundamentally there has been no change - it started as Spiros's dream to provide a superb holiday venue for RC enthusiasts and it has remained so ever since. Many of the staff/family have been there since day 1 and they provide an excellent service.

However over the years there has been the big change in that the facility moved from the first rented hotel to the present purpose built, owned, complex. Since the move the new hotel has been subject to continual improvement and is a very good holiday hotel in its own right, even discounting the RC element.

The RC fleet & training has changed in line with the trends seen in your local club - 2.4, more electric, the popularity of foamys, heli's declining, quads emerging etc etc.

I'll be back again next year.

Thread: PIlot Akro
18/09/2018 15:24:26

Yes, it does look a good 'un Martyn.

I think Club 20 scale just faded away from lack of support. It was never as popular as Club 20 Pylon (which I also flew) and never really achieved a critical mass.

18/09/2018 13:42:33

I built the small Pilot Kit of the Stephens Acro in the 80's & it was good enough both in scale & flight characteristics for me to win the Club 20 Scale Competition at the Nationals in 1987 (it was never held again so I have now been reigning Champion for 31 years! dont know). That was it's last flight as it then went into immediate retirement.

Nice little model, the 120 size should be even better. They were all the rage in their day but very rarely seen now as fashions change.

18/09/2018 11:24:59

Martyn, I think it's inspired by Leo Loudenslager's Laser 200 N10LL

Thread: Purchase of flying land
10/09/2018 13:08:43

Mark, I think you are doing the BMFA an injustice. They publish the following guidance under the 'Club Support' section of their Website on page 10 of the publication 'Flying Site Guide' I'd suggest that you should read the document in full & your Committee formally approach the BMFA rather than listen to 'second hand info'

"A LIMITED COMPANY should be formed to buy the flying site and to oversee its operations. You will need advice from a solicitor on how to proceed."

Edited By John Lee on 10/09/2018 13:09:55

Thread: Boddington Instructor Plan
09/09/2018 21:33:43

It will have been published in the RCM&E about January 1988. Unfortunately I have a gap in my magazine collection around then, RC1553 was published in November 1987 & the plans followed on numerically. Hopefully someone here will have a copy.

Thread: lead weghts
05/09/2018 20:52:22
Posted by supertigrefan on 05/09/2018 17:54:15:
Posted by The Wright Stuff on 05/09/2018 12:45:54:

I dunno what all the fuss is about, I bought a 1 oz lead weight and a 1 oz steel weight to compare. They weighed exactly the same!

Me? I prefer iridium!

Exactly.

Does it matter what the lead content is as long as it works?

Well, yes, if you want to melt & mould it and don't have a steel foundry in your modelling room.

Edited By John Lee on 05/09/2018 20:54:22

05/09/2018 11:58:17
Posted by Gordon Tarling on 05/09/2018 10:19:42:

I think I ought to point out that many car wheel stick-on balancing weights are made of steel these days, so if buying them, try to ensure they really are lead.

Likewise fishing weights will be a non toxic lead substitute, I understand that it has been illegal to sell lead fishing weights in the UK for some years due to its toxicity.

I bought a bag of genuine lead shot used as diver's ballast which should see out my lifetime. The shots are about 2mm diameter, just pour in enough to get the CG correct & follow with a little warmed epoxy to fix.

Thread: Spektrum iX12
04/09/2018 15:21:54

On my Dx9 I don't have any switch allocated in the Channel Input Config menu.

It's allocated in Function List-Flap System-Switch. You use the same menu (Flap System) to adjust the Throw & Elevator Compensation mixing. Hope that helps, afraid I've not used an iX12.

Thread: Wing servo lead plugs and sockets?
30/08/2018 15:07:27

Multiplex green M6 plugs & sockets.

Use common +ve & -ve leaving 4 pins for the signal to up to 4 servos. I usually bond the plug into the fuselage & leave the socket free floating on the wing wiring harness. I only use the genuine items at about £1 each, for me it's not worth saving pennies on such a flight critical component.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
CML
electricwingman 2017
Cambridge Gliding Club
Slec
Gliders Distribution
Pepe Aircraft
Wings & Wheels 2019
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
New Poll - Sticky situations...
Q: How often - when using superglue - do you end up with it on your fingers?

Every time
 Occasionally
 Sometimes
 Rarely
 Never
 Wear rubber gloves

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us