By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for IanN

Here is a list of all the postings IanN has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Sanding a leading edge
02/08/2016 20:37:57
Posted by Liam Ryan on 01/08/2016 16:50:58:

Hi everyone,

I'm wondering how to sand an acceptable leading edge for a trainer? I'm building the chapter one and just about to finish up the wing.

I was going to attempt it freehand with a sanding block but I'm sure there must be cleverer ways to do it.

I know you don't want to spend a lot upfront but the concave Permagrits are brilliant for making a very decent fist of this, and they will last you a lifetime

Once your enthusiasm is on an upward trajectory - which it will be smiley - then I'd recommend them. Anyone who's used them wouldn't be without them

**LINK**

Thread: wot 4 classic conversion
02/08/2016 13:54:19
Posted by Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 14/07/2016 20:47:31:

OK lets do this the right way round! With IC you start with the engine - but you don't with electric power. Paradoxically the motor is almost the last thing you select.

We start with the weight - for a Wotty that's about 5lb. Then we decide how much power we want - well 100W/lb will give us "good sports flying" - maybe a tad more woruldn't hurt - but let's target 500W.

Next up we select a battery. Let's look at a 4 cell - nominal voltage 14.8v so to give us 500W it would need to supply a current of 500/14.8 - that's about 34Amps - sounds good.

That is max power - full throttle - average power would be about 60% of that (maybe even less - but let's say 60%) so that's say 20A. If we want to fly for 10mins with 20% left in the battery on landing that is the equivalent of flying for 12 mins at 20A so the capacity of battery we need is (12/60)x20 or 4Ah - that's 4000mAh.

Now we look at ESCs - we need one that can handle the peak current plus a bit. Peak current is 34A so a 40A would do - 50A would be better. (Your 80A is massive overkill!)

Now the motor. We need a motor that can dish out around 500W and handle a max current of 40A or so. We also need to work out the kV value we need. We can aim for a max prop speed of around 10,000rpm at full throttle. The 4s battery is 14.8v so the target kV would be 10,000/14.8 that is around 675.

So in summary the motor we want is a '500W/40A/675kV' job. So the G46 is pretty well spot on. The first motor you link to is much more powerful than you need at 1300W.

So the set up is - 4s 4000mAh battery, G46 motor, 50A ESC, which will give you lively performance but not ballistic and 10min flight times! Can't be bad

Hope this helps not just in answering your direct question but in terms of equiping you to be able to work it out for yourself in future.

BEB

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 14/07/2016 20:53:08

What an excellent summary thumbs up

I think I "sort of" knew quite a bit of that - although not as logically, or in that order. However, I was wondering where the prop selection comes into the equation as that (in my head, anyway) has some bearing on the final output

Or is it a case of follow the process and then experiment with prop dia/pitch to fine tune the end result?

Thread: What birthday present do you give your 25 yr old son
29/07/2016 20:18:34

That's excellent smiley

Westland Whirlwind cake for my birthday please!

Thread: Which model would suit an OS Max 40 V rear exhaust engine?
29/07/2016 07:40:42

Maybe a slightly scaled down version of this?

**LINK**

Thread: Windows 10 - Any Advice
29/07/2016 07:36:22

With the free upgrade about to expire I took the plunge yesterday evening on the household desktop pc. Fingers still crossed, but at first glance it appeared to go smoothly and all looks to be in order.

Thread: mustang restoration
26/07/2016 16:43:57

Yes, always surprising how much can be hidden under the skin of some second hand models. Sounds like you did the right thing by taking the plunge.

Thread: Electric vs IC
25/07/2016 16:36:48

Some excellent points throughout this thread, which all go to reinforce that

- both i.c. and electric have their own pros and their cons

- all of which are relatively easily overcome by the respective practioners

- both probably cost the same, or similar in the long run

As an i.c. flier who also uses electric (rather than the other way around) I do think that electric has obvious advantages for the beginner, providing you have enough batteries or charging capability to get through a session . Assuming the power train is carefully selected and set up properly it should be pretty much "fit and forget" - and it does remove the i.c. tuning variable from the equation. Yes, I know that you shouldn't fiddle but when you're a novice learning to run an engine, or - arguably worse -at the mercy of the club "expert" (who probably has more deadsticks than the rest of the club membership put together) that's easier said than done.

Start electric, then follow whichever path you fancy as you grow into the hobby

Thread: RIP AA Barry
25/07/2016 09:18:57

Brett, condolences. I really enjoyed following his posts

Edited By Pete B - Moderator on 25/07/2016 10:55:00

25/07/2016 09:16:36

That's very sad. I was following this one closely

http://www.modelflying.co.uk/forums/postings.asp?th=104878&p=1

Edited By IanN on 25/07/2016 09:17:36

Thread: Kit builders, what would you like???
25/07/2016 09:14:24
Posted by RICHARD WILLS on 24/07/2016 16:09:39:

Also Ian , I did send a PM regarding the WW , but maybe it didn't get through ?

Richard

Richard, replied to your PM but perhaps that got stuck in the ether for a while. Seems to have got through at last,as I got your text yesterday - for which thanks - will call in the week thumbs up

Thread: Electric vs IC
24/07/2016 22:30:20

I differ from BeB in that I rarely charge on site. There are plenty of budget LiPos with decent performance so I buy enough, and charge them all before your flying session. That said, I admittedly normally take two or three models including one i.c. and my club does have a couple of decent power supplies should I ever need them, so lack of electricity is never a problem for me

If your club, or wherever you are flying from, has a decent power supply for your charger then there is no reason at all why you shouldn't charge at the field, Liam. However, if not then be aware that you will need to spend a hefty sum on top of your existing budget for a Leisure Battery to power your charger

Thread: Exchange rate - impact on prices of modelling gear
22/07/2016 18:16:56

Well, that didn't take long, seems it's happening already....

An email from Airtek received today says

"It can hardly have escaped anybody's attention that since the Brexit vote the value of the Pound against the Dollar has plunged which has, unfortunately, had an immediate effect on the products we sell. As we buy most of our stock with Dollars these have become much more expensive and sadly over the coming weeks we have no option but to increase some of our prices."

And the Taranis X9D Tx that I bought immediately after the EU exit vote in anticipation of this now costs a full £10 more today than I paid last month. The receivers haven't gone up yet, but seemingly only because they haven't needed to be restocked yet - that can only be a matter of (not much) time sad

Thread: Horizon Hobby (UK) Service or rather lack of it
22/07/2016 15:23:59
Posted by John F on 18/07/2016 16:52:43:

No other retailer offers any discount or warranty repair out of the guaranteed period on anything, never mind radio gear. Spektrum are the only ones who will repair a Tx, that I am aware of, that is outside the guarantee timeframe.

John, not so. For anything bought on or before 30 Sept 2015 the Sale of Goods Act still applies. That holds a retailer liable for up to six years after purchase if goods don't conform to "reasonable standards".

There are massive grey areas within that, in that durability and reasonable expectations play a part. A £6.99 budget kettle might reasonably only be expected to have a lifespan of a couple of years whereas it would be perfectly reasonable to expect a £2k oven to give far longer service.

Also, from six months after purchase the burden of proof falls on customer. A retailer can insist on an independent report (at the customer's expense) to "prove" that an item was faulty, and not for example subjected to excessive use. If the retailer then agrees there is a fault but can prove it's unfeasible or uneconomical to repair they can then pay compensation. Basically, that's the purchase price minus a sum that reflects how much use you have had from the item to date - most retailers use a sliding scale of "% of purchase price per year"

So, I'm not saying it's easy - especally when applied to r/c gear (how on earth would you go about proving that an item had not been subject to "excessive use" - i.e. crashed a few times!), but it is not the case that "No other retailer offers any discount or warranty repair out of the guaranteed period on anything". For goods bought pre Oct 15 the law clearly says otherwise

Thread: Long Marston 2017
22/07/2016 13:09:53

It was said at this year's show that it was believed to be secure for 2017

Thread: Kit builders, what would you like???
21/07/2016 16:28:53
Posted by Nigel Dell on 21/07/2016 15:04:08:
Posted by Daithi O Buitigh on 21/07/2016 14:37:08:

Nothing to fly it with? What about Hellcats, Wildcats, Corsairs - and don't forget that they used P39s to take out Admiral Yamamoto.

There's a severe lack of Japanese twins (or even Italian multis if the Betty is too problematic)

I suspect the issue will not be what to fly with it, but if there will be enough interest in it, i.e. orders to put the time and money into developing it, nice though it is.

Exactly thumbs up

As already been gone over a no of times in this thread, there are commercial realities involved here. There is little point suggesting the more esoteric or "special interest" subjects - no matter how nice they may be

Thread: errors on plans
21/07/2016 10:57:06

All part and parcel of the joys of building wink

Thread: Horizon Hobby (UK) Service or rather lack of it
18/07/2016 16:47:17

Going back a bit but I too was unimpressed

They had an enviable reputation back in the day, mainly it seemed due to a proactive policy of replacing faulty - or perceived faulty - Spektrum gear swiftly and without quibble

My experience was different. I bought a Parkzone Super Decathalon and it had a no of issues, which I emailed along with supporting pics. That obviously got sent on to someone in their tech dept, as all I got back was a forwarded copy of an internal reply - no covering note or anything else - that said "yes it's wrong, tell him he'll have to take it back to the shop"

Thread: Acrowot woes
18/07/2016 12:59:53
Posted by Bob Cotsford on 18/07/2016 09:36:26:

I think that is related to the mods Percy mentioned earlier, the fix was to move the tailplane up or down (I can't remember which) on the fuselage.

These were Percy's words - useful stuff - from a different thread, which coincidentally I searched out on here last week in anticipation of a forthcoming Acrowot build

"bit of a can of worms, this one. Over the past 30 years or so, many Acrowots have been built and successfully flown without any form of modification. However, there are now quite a number of "unofficial" mods, some of which have found their way onto the larger Extrawot and the newer artf version of the Acrowot. The mods I know of are:

1. Reduction in wing dihedral. Various amounts have been mentioned, but 50% seems the most popular mod.

2. Lowering the tailplane. Anything from 1/2 an inch to 3/4 of an inch. Sometimes I've seen an increase in tailplane span mentioned too, although I'm not sure what it's effect will be. Be aware though that these tailplane mods may make it more vulnerable to damage in rougher landings.

3. Increased rudder area, both in chord and particularly below the fuselage. An additional underfin at the rear of the fuselage will complete this mod. Interestingly, this is the mod which has found it's way onto the ExtraWot.

4. Undercarriage plate reinforcement. Although I guess this one depends both on the quality of your landings and your flying site.

However, you'll also find many modellers who've built an AW and will advise no changes at all, so I guess you pays your money and you make your choice!

Thread: HK aircraft sound module
17/07/2016 11:18:39

I've got the Sense Innovations Ess-Air unit - as yet unused - and that weighs slightly north of 5.5 oz, so c160g. A little heavier than this HK item

I would imagine that at this budget end of the market there is a physical size (and weight) of the amp and/or speaker below which the sound produced would be inadequate in a flying model?

Edited By IanN on 17/07/2016 11:21:33

Thread: Import Duty Brexit
14/07/2016 08:29:23
Posted by Rich2 on 14/07/2016 08:03:56:

Edited By IanN on 13/07/2016 23:58:54

I agree, I am getting tired of it. If people don't like the topics don't read or get involved with the threads. It is very sad that we cannot have these discussions. Where is it in the rules that we cannot discuss politics?

There is nothing in the forum rules (that I can find) and yet, it specifically mentions posts with bad language, which as Ian mentioned are being ignored.

And please do not give me "this is a model aeroplane forum", as plenty of other topics are discussed. perhaps we should close the chit chat forum altogether?

Edited By Rich2 on 14/07/2016 08:05:13

That wasn't quite my angle.

I was coming more from the point of view that the Chat thread could possibly be renamed or redefined to make things clearer and so avoid these misunderstandings or whatever you want to call them, rather than saying that political etc discussion should be allowed - which tbh I'm completely not bothered about

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
CML
electricwingman 2017
Slec
Sussex Model Centre
Subscribe now
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
NEW POLL - has the pandemic altered your event safety perceptions?
Q: Has the covid pandemic deterred you from attending shows and events in 2021?

No, I'll be attending just as many as I usually do
 No, but I'll choose my event with greater care
 Yes, I'll attend fewer events going forward
 Yes, I wont attend any where previously I have

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!