By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Geoff Daunt

Here is a list of all the postings Geoff Daunt has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Rx AR8010T
29/08/2019 18:30:13

I have just purchased the above 8 channel Rx. There are however 11 ports.

On row one the first port is Bind. However why is this there when the binding is undertaken by the bind button on top of the Rx. I have just used the button and bound it to my JR Tx, so no necessity to use this port. Can it be used for something else??

The second Port is marked SRXL but the instruction manual says nothing about this. What is this for ??!

Any explanation appreciated.

Thread: Servo size
05/04/2019 18:05:51

Thanks Martin for your contribution.

problem now solved.

l have been pursuing my research and decided to relax and catch up with the March RCM&E magazine.

l decided to read first the Simon Cocker Silent Wings column.

For those who do not know Simon is the Slope soaring Guru especially on large Sailplanes.

On page 80 he comments on some new Servo mounts and says

” I use mainly Hitech HS5245 and Hitech HS7954H standard size servos in the wings of 1/3 scale sailplane projects”

I think the 5245 will do fine for me at about £26 each

If good enough for Mr Cocker , good enough for me.

Job done 👌👌😎😎

05/04/2019 09:24:18

Thanks for replies. I was just aware that with a Floaty flat field electric glider there was not a huge force on a servo so a simple Standard would be fine.

But with a large Glass Sailplane the Dynamic forces are much greater and did not want to run the risk of stripping gears. I seem to recall an article in RCM& E some time ago on Choosing the correct size Servo but blowed if l can find it.

As to Nigel’s question the Airtron leads have ‘Open ‘ pin connections, 2 are quite close together the third is perhaps 2 spaces further apart, on a small block

Clearly would not fit a Spectrum Rx and l do not fancy trying to fit new plugs!!

04/04/2019 19:57:21

Continuing the refurb of this 3.75m Discus type Glider for Slope.

l have just removed some very old Servos..... anyone heard of Airtron.???

l will be replacing all servos.

Rudder,Elevator, Airbrake and Aileron

Airbrake needs one servo, pull push from servo in fuselage and same for Aileron

The controls are built into wing so no wing servos.

So that is 4 servos in total.

Normally l would go for 5/6 Kg/cm on smaller gliders.

Not having had a glider of this size would you consider this sufficient or do l need to go bigger?

Any recommendation for servos greatly appreciated.

Thread: Taping Aileron and Elevator
04/04/2019 12:14:45

Many thanks to all for advice and the last picture.

That is the way l have taped before, so good to know using correct method.

Decided to go with taping first. Just cleaned all taping area with Alcohol and have applied 3mtape.

Looks the business and do not see it going anywhere soon.

If any subsequent issues will try the pin method.

Happy Gliding

03/04/2019 19:07:34

The leading edge of Ailreons and Elevator are angled at about 40 degrees.

So normal hinges no good. Guess l could use Pin hinges but never used them myself.

Any help here how to fit. The drilling of trailing edge of wing and leading edge of aileron would need to be very accurate!!!!!!

03/04/2019 18:04:38

Another Glider project. I am putting together a large pre owned Glider for Slope.

l doubt it has ever flown. Not sure of Model, but of Discus type.

l can just see part of an old label in Fuselage which is Multiplex.

Each wing is 180cm with built in air brake and aileron, so no servos in wing and large under-camber aero foil.

Ailerions are750mm long and Elevator 650mm.

l want to tape ailerons and Elevator rather than use hinges.

In the past on smaller gliders l have used 3m type cellotape.

Any recommendation please for taping this size model

Thread: RCM Pelican Grace
02/04/2019 09:28:37

I am refurbing this 2.7 m Glider. I have no Instruction sheet.

l have made a C of G calculation which comes out at 62mm from L E. at wing root

The wing root cord is 230mm, so approx. 27%

Just seems a little forward but could be correct and will need a fair bit of Pb to balance

If any one has this Glider could you tell me the Manufacturer Cof G , or where yours balances.

Always reassuring to know for a maiden flight

Many thanks

Thread: Setting up for Flaps
02/04/2019 09:17:31

Thanks John . Will do.

01/04/2019 19:10:56

Just a follow up.

Does anyone know who manufactured the Pelican Grace 2.7m Glider.

l have done a Cof G Calc, which comes out at 62 mm from LE on a cord of 230 mm, so about 27%.

Will need a fair bit of Pb to balance so just wondering if anyone has this Glider, and could tell me the Manufacturer figure for C of G.

Otherwise would you more experienced Glider Guys think 27% about right.

many thanks

29/03/2019 18:32:31

Just to bring this blog to a conclusion.

Many many thanks to all who responded.

l have certainly learnt a lot about programming following all the links.!

A particular thanks to John Lee for the video which is very informative.

The prize however goes to Flyin Brian who sent me a link for a set up.

it was an easy written Instruction sheet dealing with a full 7 house Glider set up for the JR. and best of all .......it works 👌👌.

The Power of such Forums is amazing

Thanks again to everyone

Geoff , A happy Glider boy and looking foreword to maiden flight.

28/03/2019 10:29:06

Hi Martin, thanks for input. Just working my way through the various suggested options.

Pretty Happy my Rx set up ,as set out in original Blog ,is good.This seems to be the same for the Spectrum DX Rx’s which makes sense since we both operate on Spectrum technology.

looking at various Dx set up blogs /U tube videos the problem l have is that the Screen system and set up program

method is very different ,so l cannot follow that program method.

The more modern DX system looks so much easier to use !!!

It seems obvious to me l am just missing one simple matter to get the Flaps working in the Tx set up but at the moment l still cannot find it.

will persevere.

27/03/2019 19:08:38

Hi John. Sorry to be stupid but what is PM my Address and how do l do it !🤔. Thank you for your interest and offer.

Geoff.

27/03/2019 17:08:31

Many thanks for replies. I am not that bothered, at the moment , to have all singing and dancing Mixes for launch ,speed and land etc Quite happy with the basics of simple flap operation, maybe mixed with elevator, for landing.

So decided to have a look atGary Binnie’s advice first if indeed l was wrong in Device Select, which would be the simplest solution

l copied your set up int my Tx.

Nothing changed on my Flaps, ie only defaulted to full down and no lever or switch has any effect on Flap. But l did lose motor operation. I have returned to my original setting and have motor operation back

As mentioned in first Post l have esc into Aux2 and my assigned switch is Aux3lever.

I have Aux3,4,5 free so could use any of those if necessary to power the electric motor, if l need Aux2 free.

Gary could you confirm if your various Servo inputs are into same Rx points as mine ,as indicated in my original post,

if yours are different could you kindly tell me so we are doing like for like and l can take it from there

Many thanks

26/03/2019 18:50:18

l have acquired a Pelican Grace Glider which l am trying to set up with a new Motor and Prop.

My Tx is a JR DSX9 . This only supports DSM2 so l am using Spectrum Rx which support both 2 & DSMX.

The Glider supports 7 Channels 2x Ail, 2xFlap, Elev. Rudd. Motor.

l am following the JR Inst. Manual for a 6 Chanel set up , ie for everything other than motor.

l am using a Spectrum AR10000Rx ie 10 channel

Following the Manuel the Rx is plugged as follows

Left Ail into ... throttle on Rx

Left flap.... Aux1

Right Ail. ...Aileron

Right Flap.... Gear

Rudder ..... Rudder

Elevator....Elevator

The Esc is plugged into Aux2 for Motor and l have allocated this to left side flap lever on side of Tx.

Apart from Flaps everything is working correctly including motor.

When l switch on the Flaps default to the full down position, about 80 degrees.

The Flaps should operate on the Spoiler/Throttle stick but nothing happens.

l have tried the Servo reverse on Flap on the menu but again nothing happens.

Following the Menu and using Sub trim the Flaps will move but that is it.

l have spent hours trying to get the Flaps to work on Spoiler but to no avail.

it is driving me crazy.

Any help greatly appreciated..... otherwise l cannot fly 😂😂😂

Thread: C of G
26/03/2019 10:56:01

Hi All, just to conclude l got a referral to ‘rcplanes.online/cg_calc.htm from scale soaring

This is a C of G full auto calculator... just input the measurements and hey presto.

it had been suggested that it would be close to 50% of cord due to the swept back wing construction.

The figure came out at 120mm from L E, so in my case about 48 %.

Happy days 👌👌

20/03/2019 18:07:16

Hi All , many thanks for the replies. Just joined the Scalesoaring association and asked the question. Will post any interesting reply.

19/03/2019 18:16:09

Hi Glider Guiders, l have been given an elderly Minimoa type Glider, which was past from club member to member over many yrs for a refurb but no one got around to it.

l now have it. I guess it was built 20+ yrs ago.

the wings had bellcrank operated ailerons and Tissue covered with the wing covered in nylon and dope in poor condition.

l have removed everything and replaced with modern servos and covered in a vintage type oracover.

The wingspan is 3M with a cord of 245 mm.

There is a big chunk of lead in the front of Fuselage but l have no information on Cof G.

25% of Cord is 61.25mm and 1/3 is 81.66

Putting on my Balencer at 70mm it is still very tail heavy with Battery and Servo in place

So something is wrong , if it has ever flown !!!!

For a maiden flight would you go for the 25% figure or something less??

Any general advice appreciated.

Thread: Camping for Motorhome
23/01/2019 18:06:35

Many thanks for the replies on camping. I have looked online and l think Dinarth comes up fine and seems closer for a drive in the M to the Orme. Hope to make one or 2 of the events and try out my models. Look forward to meeting some fellow Modelers.

21/01/2019 16:18:45

Hi, l am a new member of the PSSA association and interested in attending some of this years events. Could anyone who attends by Motorhome kindly advise a good local campsite for a weekend . Many thanks . Geoff

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
CML
Slec
Sussex Model Centre
electricwingman 2017
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!