By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Capt Kremen

Here is a list of all the postings Capt Kremen has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: RCM&E Dec 2018 - Ruckus Review Update
16/08/2019 12:01:43

As per my experiences, (see review section), the 'Ruckus' out-of-the-box is a BASIS for a general hack/sports model, as others have found. Quality of items as supplied, (U/C, axles, clevis, snakes, motor, ESC, prop, spinner, canopy retention and placement of these etc. etc.), can be very subjective and change a mediocre / 'duff'(?) model into a joy to own and fly. Like most, if not all ARTF, creations from the far east, IMHO they are made down-to-a-price, not necessarily up to the quality seasoned model builder/assemblers would prefer. Although much of the 'Ruckus' shares common parts with the 'Riot', I still find my 'Riot' the better of the two aircraft. Several 'Riots' have appeared in my club and are flown by a range of pilots, from relative inexperienced to 'hooligan/chuck it about' merchants! Each to their own. Enjoy!

Thread: Multiplex Cockpit Sx 9
15/08/2019 15:42:21

Whilst on MPX 'Cockpit' timers ...

Can you, (easily), stop the TOTAL flight time counter (Timer 2)?

[I appreciate you can on the screen by touching T2 'Stop' - I'd prefer my (total) flight time (not motor run time) on a on/off switch].

i.e. Flick 'On' as soon as wheels leave the ground and 'Off' when model touches down, not having to wait until after you taxied back, made LiPo safe etc. etc. Explored the timer screen and options couldn't make Timer 2 stop trying to assign to a switch.

14/08/2019 12:07:47

Hi Mike,

Just experimented on my 'Cockpit' Tx:

Depending on how you have your 'buttons/switches' assigned, you can toggle the sound on/off but 'Angela/Frau M' on 'Timer 1' keeps on speaking regardless.

The default(?) sound button is on the top left-hand side labelled 'Teacher/Vario'. Alternatively, you can touch the bottom right square next to the battery status and toggle through that. Maybe our resident MPX expert Frank S. knows.

Still reckon a decent manual would save a lot of head scratching for mere mortal MPX users!

(e.g. What do the 'Blue/Orange' adjustable bars you find by sweeping several steps to left signify with 'enable slider' tick box 'System Information 3' it says????)

A fantastic system nevertheless.

Thread: Tucano 45" Decal set
10/08/2019 10:21:08

Stan Yeo (Phoenix Model Products), makes a 50" Tucano, he may be able to supply a set of decals used in that kit.

Thread: Playboy Senior
06/08/2019 11:19:30

As others have mentioned, the tail end, (especially), needs to be kept light.

I built a vintage 'Air Trails', Ray Heit design the 'Scrappy', (similar to the 'Scram'. All traditional fabric and doped covering, couldn't get it anywhere near a safe balance point. In desperation, I ended up recovering the tail plane and fin/rudder assembly in tissue. I was amazed at just doing that simple little thing, made a huge difference to achieving a safe flyable C of G.

Also, with the advent of LiPo replacing the 'lead weight' NiCad cells of earlier electro-flight days, that has made the C of G balancing act more of a challenge!

Thread: Multiplex Vario/Altimeter vs UniSens-E
05/08/2019 13:33:15

+1 For the Unisens.

Can't see the point of daisy chaining multiple (expensive?) MPX telemetry units when the Unisens does most if not all at the 'tick box' selection on set up. Very small unit too. Also can work with other radio systems if you stray from MPX!

Edited By Capt Kremen on 05/08/2019 13:33:54

Thread: Seagull Models VANS RV-8
03/08/2019 20:09:04

A fellow club mate is contemplating buying a Seagull Models VANS RV8 model.

Firstly, anyone with end-user experience of this model (kit quality, flying qualities, hints 'n tips for build and flying?)

Secondly, What Electric Power Set-Up would folk recommend, (Motor, ESC, Number of LiPo Cells, Prop Size?

Span: 1800mm

Weight: Approx. 11lbs

Area: 992 sq.ins

Kit Suggests: 20cc/.91 i/c or 1500-2000W electric

Thread: Finding Models
27/07/2019 16:59:51

Having recently had the misfortune, (probably due the 'loose nut on the Tx'!), to land out, my fellow club mates and I, spent a fruitless few hours searching for my model. 'We' believed we had a reasonable fix on where it went down too.

As many will know only too well, at this time of the year, farmers crops are (very) well grown = 'high'. They also are in the process of being cut by those wonderous monster combine tractor machines! Despite all the 'bad press' quadcopter drones get from us fixed wing aviators, this flier was glad of their abilities. The following day, a mere 15mins 'hovering' over a tall crop field, some distance from where we all earnestly thought the model had gone down, the missing aircraft was located via the drones on board video link camera.

So this prompted me to examine what is available for locating models.

I subsequently purchased a 'Loc8ator' and a 'VIFLY Finder V2' unit as mentioned above.

Whilst not expecting NASA or GCHQ tracking accuracy, I can vouch that both systems work very well.

The 'VIFLY' in particular, is exceedingly good for its modest £10 cost. It has its own mini LiPo. This charges from the flight pack via a normal servo connection to the Rx. It can be triggered by a spare channel on the Tx. (Very loud bleep!). AND if the A/C power source disconnects in the crash / 'arrival', the units LiPo keeps it bleeping away for many hours PLUS flashing a bright LED, if externally mounted. The 'Loc8tor' uses a tiny fob 'bleeper' which can be easily swapped from model to model e.g. attached around the flight LiPo. In use a small handset is 'bound' to the fob in a manner not dissimilar to Tx / Rx binding, so has a unique coding, enabling others to have and use their 'Loc8tor' units simultaneously.

Whilst not claiming these are 100% perfect, as aids (plus help from a friendly drone perhaps?), you may stand a reasonable chance of finding your errant model.

Thread: Keil Kraft Ladybird
27/07/2019 09:26:39

My recollection was that the cowl was formed using 1/32nd balsa sheet, soaked and rolled in two layers around a traditional 'old style' glass milk bottle. There is a sketch on the original plan illustrating this. Also, mine ended up with lots of down thrust which rather spoilt the would be 'D.H.Beaver' sports scale look. It flew superbly though and mine went AWOL for a few days until a kindly Forrest ranger knocked on a 8 year old's front door to reunite me with it!

Thread: Planespotting Live
24/07/2019 11:47:19

Anyone watched the BBC 'Plane Spotting Live' programme on BBC4?

Oh dear!!!! Only another two episodes to go (thank goodness).

Thread: Wot no Acrowot!
12/07/2019 22:10:27

As a club instructor, I've had the 'pleasure'(?) of flying ply/balsa 'heavy-weight bricks and featherweight foamy trainer models. (E-Flite 'Apprentice', Max Thrust 'Riot', ST Models 'Discovery', 'Boomerang', Irvine 'Tutor' to name but a few AND 'WOT4' (Foam & Balsa/Ply variants) and the 'WOT Trainer'. They all have certain merits, all have certain shortcomings. The 'WOT Trainer' (IMHO) seems a good balance of extremes. It can take a few knocks, gentle 'nodding' stall, fly in a range of wind strengths including quite windy conditions. (Do you want to train a newbie in gale force conditions(?) Worth consideration if nothing else.

12/07/2019 21:50:44

'WOT Trainer' although a Ripmax ARTF, to do a thorough and airworthy job, wings need joining (epoxy), tail fin and tail plane gluing (your adhesive preference), all control surfaces need gluing/pining, fit radio gear and control linkages/horns, fit motor i/c or electric (different mountings), accurately drill cowl attachment screw holes. Replace parts that don't meet your quality control checks e.g. Chinese soft metal axle bolts, unbalanced 'cheapo' plastic spinner, inferior clevis etc.

All in, a little more than the usual '5-minute' job. I'd say it's a half-way house between a traditional full build or an out-of-the box 'n fly job! (That's if you wish to do it justice and ensure a durable, safe model IMO).

12/07/2019 16:42:48

Whilst the WOT4 may be used for training, subject adjusting required responsiveness, why not get a 'WOT Trainer'(?).

Same lineage and a superb trainer, can be (very) docile or 'turn-the-wick-up'/increase throws etc. and it is quite sporty.

Thread: BMFA Videos
02/07/2019 18:40:08

Hi All

As a BMFA instructor/examiner with a club candidate 'A' test coming up shortly, I checked the latest details on the BMFA Achievement Scheme page.

There are now two(2) instructional and demonstration videos available to view.

These feature Peter Willis and Duncan McClure.

Thread: Model Noise Level - Interesting Findings
10/06/2019 21:12:35

I was so surprised too, (hence the post in the first place).

Yes, usually, (with one or two notable exceptions), all the 'electrics' at our site record low(er) readings.

As a would-be-musician, I am also acutely aware of perceived loudness v actual measured. A sound can be annoying/irritating to the ear and yet be within technical limits. (You fill in your own 'annoying' sound, I'm not going down that route!) I didn't perceive the 'WOT' as sounding any worse than others and certainly not as loud as many if not most glow i/c that have passed the <82db standard.

I'm eager, out of curiosity as much as anything else, to investigate further with this and a(nother) electric model set-up for a comparison i.e. spinner on/off. The 'liquid sunshine' promised for most of this week will probably mean no immediate trip to the flying site. Will keep you posted when I do glean some results.

10/06/2019 14:45:23

i/c motor ... no thanks, gave those 'orrors up 35 years ago!!!

10/06/2019 14:44:21

Will carry out the 'sound / db level' checks when I next having access to the sound meter at our flying site.

All the components, (motor, prop mount), were new and had not been subject to any bending out of true due a prop strike on landing. (Remember, our club requires all models are checked before they are permitted to fly).

I don't have access to any technical equipment to check for dynamic balance i.e. like those fancy machines in garage tyre shops. I'll fit and refit the prop/spinner in different positions on the prop shaft, take readings to note possible variations. Also, try a similar, (but same size), spinner as well as same with different 'balanced' props.

Fortunately, the model is under the 82db recommended sound level limit without the spinner, which it does not require as a scale model might. In any case, I found full throttle is not necessary to fly the plane more than adequately.

And ... I recommend the model as one of the smoothest trainers I've had the pleasure to fly. Glide performance is exceptional with Mr Foss's pedigree for quality designs.

10/06/2019 13:40:43

Interesting thoughts Martin.

Will do a check of RPM outside, once the 'liquid sunshine' here stops.

As an aside, our sound meter has been calibrated. Even if it were giving erroneous readings, it's likely all our noise checks would be to consistent inaccuracy! Several different models, (i/c & electric), were noise checked yesterday.

We were also thinking that scale models, which demand a spinner to look right, e.g. Spitfire, Mossie, might be quieter if this 'no-spinner' finding were proved consistent.

10/06/2019 12:44:20

As stated in the original post the prop was balanced. Spinner subsequently checked for balance (TopFlite Magnetic balancer), no discernible imbalance found.

'Cavitation'(?) yes I appreciate it is associated with boats etc. but 'we' were struggling to think of a term that would account for the prop cut-out slot 'catching/grabbing' the air as the spinner rotated. The 'milk-bottle' effect, i.e. blow across a bottle top and it makes a sound!

Once in the air, (without the spinner!), fellow fliers said how quiet the model was!

10/06/2019 12:11:51

Whilst enjoying the respite in wind and liquid sunshine yesterday to get some stick time in, I had a noise check carried out on a new model.

(Our club requires all models to be checked in accord with BMFA guidelines prior to flight, their db level, prop size recorded and if passed (<82db @7m), a numbered sticker issued to attach to the model).

So, a Chris Foss 'WOT Trainer', 4S LiPo, Quantum40II Brushless Mtr, Balanced 12x8APC prop WITH an unmodified Irvine Alloy back-plated spinner = 81db at full throttle, WITHOUT the spinner, (all other items remaining the same), = 77db.

Suggestions for the substantial difference - 'cavitation'(?) as a result of the spinner prop cut-out slots, imbalance in the spinner(?) itself, what do you chaps think?

Makes interesting talking point if nothing else i.e. that merely removing a quality(?) spinner reduces the 'db' noise levels. Might make all the difference if you are struggling with meeting the recommended BMFA noise guideline level with your motor/model/prop combination.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Cambridge Gliding Club
Addlestone Models
CML
Gliders Distribution
electricwingman 2017
Wings & Wheels 2019
Slec
Pepe Aircraft
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Does your club have a safety officer?
Q: Does your club have a safety officer, or is the emphasis on individual members to each be their own safety officer?

Yes we have a SO
 No, it's down to everyone

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us