By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for GONZO

Here is a list of all the postings GONZO has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: The Gov't, CAA, BMFA & UAV legislation thread
02/04/2020 10:15:00
Posted by MattyB on 31/03/2020 16:28:28:
Posted by Steve J on 31/03/2020 16:03:00:

If anybody is interested, EASA published their U-Space opinion a couple of weeks ago.

From pg 30...

"3.2.2. Who is affected?

UAS operators: All legal or natural persons operating or intending to operate one or more unmanned aircraft. UAS operators that operate unmanned aircraft that are considered toys or those under subcategory A1, and UAS operators that conduct operations under model aircraft clubs and associations, and wish to operate within the established U-space airspace, will be obliged to use Uspace services and conclude a contract with one of the certified USSPs for that particular U-space airspace implementation. UAS operators are benefitting from those services as the latter support them in conducting their operations safely and therefore in delivering their services."

As recreational users aren't we the lucky ones?! angry 2

The intention, IMO, is to squeeze as much money out of us whilst squeezing us out of 'U-space' airspace.

18/02/2020 10:47:18

It's clear enough to me. As Steve J say's, "operator registration is optional until the 30th June for association members". As I chose not to register to start with I think I will wait to see what developments occur. In the mean time I'll dust off a few 'standard' planes.

17/02/2020 15:21:09

yeslaugh

17/02/2020 14:42:02

Having read the document I think I'm entitled to a wry smile(or maybe not) over all those who rushed to sign up and pay their £9 well in advance of the stated date and then boast about it. So, I stand to be corrected, as I understand this as it relates to my own circumstances; I'm a member of the BMFA and therefore according to this document I do not need to register as an operator and pay my £9 until 30th June 2020 or until this order is rescinded, additionally as I have a BMFA 'A' cert I do not need to take the CAA test or the BMFA test.

14/02/2020 11:16:03

Additional thoughts. Use of RC Rx telemetry would require ALL RC manufacturers to make their protocol public, I think this is unlikely. Also, one presumes that the GUID of each individual RC combo would prevent this. RID would need to be 'spread spectrum' on whatever frequency band was used as 'spot' frequencies would soon be full. At a club environment you can easily have 6 planes in the air with others on the ground switched on. How do you tell which plane is transmitting what information?

Edited By GONZO on 14/02/2020 11:17:19

14/02/2020 10:18:11

So, lets try and get a practical handle on the equipment weights for this RID requirement.

For my sub 250g planes I've purchased ZOHD KOPILOTLITE stabiliser and flight programmer with GPS HERE

The GPS unit is 8gm and can be purchased separately HERE for £8.65

So, we have a rough idea that the GPS unit could be about 8gm which would need to be associated with a Tx unit incorporating a store for the operator details. If additional information/accuracy is required a magnetic compass unit to give heading and a barometer for more accurate height may be required. IMO it would not be unreasonable to suppose that an integrated unit with aerial/s would weigh about what the total KOPILOTLITE weighs, 20gm (less magnetic compass unit and barometer). This is obviously dependant on frequency of operation. But, its the power supply question, dedicated or from plane. Of course this does not answer the question of what does one do for FF models, glider and power, and rubber powered FF. Then there is the question of who enters the details, operator or third party? Third party involvement is where the costs may escalate due to security checking of applicant for the device etc. Just some of my thoughts on the physical and operational issues surrounding this. I also think that this requirement will tend to push up the base level for model size/cost due to added weight and proportion of total cost.

12/02/2020 08:57:12

This video by Xjet recomending a video by a 15 y old is worth a look and as he say's 'spread it far and wide'

Our Hobby. The fight for the future

I know it's about the remote ID in the USA but we have this coming here!

Steve J, could you briefly outline the amendments.?

Thread: Who's flying today then ?
09/02/2020 12:46:55

I think my neighbour has gone flying, I just saw his shed go past my window! winksmiley

Thread: Chinese suppliers
05/02/2020 16:51:03

Gary, not even a mail order bride??winksmiley

02/02/2020 14:19:26

Latest video from Dr. John Campbell You may find his series of video's on this informative.

02/02/2020 13:15:43

This is not scare mongering. I personally have faith in our public health system and health service. But, I like to know what is going on and am not prepared to accept the 'warm words and fuzzy feelings' offered by officialdom to calm the people. Use some 'critical thinking'. What is going on and implemented does not match the claims that this is relatively unimportant. If this really gets out of control I think our problems will possibly be from secondary effects like the world economy, national economy, food imports(we import over 50% of the nations food) from other more affected nations, etc. I have spent many 10's of hours on this matter and I offer just a couple of links. You can dismiss or ridicule if you like, I have no desire to argue or convince you, but consider this; China now has the equivalent of population of the UK under lock -down and quarantine lasting for weeks, many countries around the world have now banned entry to visitors from China. How many of you could exist for 5 weeks, 3 weeks or even 1 week if you could not get out of your house to buy food?

The Truth About the Coronavirus This is a general summary that does not get too technical

Dr Paul Cottrell If you have the will and the time go back to the start of his videos on this. He is one of many medical contributors I have followed.

Edited By GONZO on 02/02/2020 13:18:09

31/01/2020 10:57:16

I see 'RT' are reporting two confirmed cases in the UK.

Thread: The Gov't, CAA, BMFA & UAV legislation thread
31/01/2020 10:55:06

And his follow up

NOT A RANT BUT AN ADMONISHMENT

Thread: Chinese suppliers
31/01/2020 10:48:40

Being nearly 72.5 years old, an insulin dependant diabetic I'm more than interested in this latest bio threat. So, I've done some investigation. This is my take on this so far.

1/ It strongly appears that this virus strain is 'man made' (there is a patent on it) and manufactured for the purpose of investigating immunisation(so the story goes). It has been reported that it was being worked on in a bio lab in Wuhan.

2/ It has a long latency; you can be infected but show no symptoms for up to 14 days in which time you are infectious to others. This makes the spread easy and containment difficult. The mortality rate, as currently reported(?) is on the low side. But, seemingly people remain sick for some time after the initial recovery.

3/ Corona virus easily mutate and this has seemingly already gone through an atypical mutation. With the spread into a large number of people the potential for mixing with a large number of other genes and mutating is increasing exponentially.

I think the extreme measures we see being taken(well in excess of SARS and MERS) indicates the concern that this virus could mutate into something that retains the long latency but has a higher mortality rate. Whatever the biological effects/human effects if this continues or possibly gets worse there is the economic(national and world) implications to be considered.

Thread: FrSky Taranis - user chat
26/01/2020 20:08:10

Thanks Bob, yes I realise the OpenTx is the Tx operating system and does not alter the RF firmware. But, it could limit what you could access/get the RF board to do. Anyway' I've decided that tomorrow I'll bite the bullet and update the Taranis to 2.3.5. I've got a shiny new Jumper T16 Pro Hall with an internal multi module all updated to the latest firmware and with the JR module slot available for any unsupported protocols(FASST etc). I'm going to drag it from the dark ages into the bright light of the present day! I'll report back.

26/01/2020 16:46:24

Thanks for the replies and information. I'm just trying to ascertain if I can safely update my Taranis X9D to OpenTx 2.3.5 from 2.0.13(I know its old but it worked for me. Don't fix what isn't broke) without compromising/loosing any legacy facilities(internal protocols like LH12 etc) and the ability to accept old external modules like DJT, XJT, Futaba FASST(Robbe 12ch version), ImmersionRC 433mHz, and OrangeRx. I also don't want to flash Rx's(there's lots of them) if at all possible. This would then hopefully allow me to use the recently acquired TP 4in1 multi protocol module(updated to 1.3.0.53) in place of a bag of different modules.

Edited By GONZO on 26/01/2020 16:47:50

26/01/2020 11:33:39

Bob, thanks for that. Do you know if you can still force X series receivers into D8 mode both internal and external. Peter Christy states that this is prevented by the latest update.

25/01/2020 18:28:14

If I update my early Taranis X9D(pre plus) from 2.0.13 to the latest 2.3.5 will I loose the LR12 protocol for my L9R receivers? I've updated the JP 4in1 multi protocol plug in TX module and this protocol does not appear to be there so I would prefer not to loose it off of the internal protocols on my Taranis. All RF is pre LBT.

Thread: Anyone going sub-250g?
25/01/2020 16:45:51

To this end late last year I purchased a few of the Ripmax re issued rubber kits, the ACE, the GIPSY and the INVADER glider. But, I was aware manufacturers were developing sub 250 drones rapidly and thought something might come out aircraft related. Just before Christmas the RCM&E arrived and inside was a market place article on the ZOHD Dart 250g. I resolved to obtain one after Christmas and now have one. I also got myself a new Tx a Jumper T16 Pro Hall and one of their R1+ Rx(S-BUS and 2gm weight). Instead of writing 'war and peace' I'll provide some links and if interested come back.

ZOHD Dart 250g

Comes with motor, speed controller, 2 props, servos fitted, KOPILOT stabiliser and flight controller with GPS, FPV (Tx+camera+CPaerial) 'piggyback' unit. Just add a light S-BUS Rx(Jumper R1+) and batteries. The KOPILOT + GPS weighs 20g and looks like it could be useful elsewhere, especially at the price.

ZOHD Kopilot Lite

Jumper R1+(D16)

Twist wing INVADER

Invader build

The Invader with the twist wing control mods can be slope soared from any small slope/sea wall etc.

Thread: Just Curious
21/01/2020 15:27:53

Where I live a burglary rarely if ever warrants more than just a crime number over the phone. So, unless you fly your plane/drone down the high street of the local small town and through the butchers window I think it unlikely you'll get asked for any paperwork.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Cambridge Gliding Club
electricwingman 2017
Sussex Model Centre
Slec
CML
CADMA
Wings & Wheels 2019
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us