By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for GONZO

Here is a list of all the postings GONZO has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Latest CAA Update
10/10/2019 14:27:01

Martin_K Or take the test. But, it's worse than you think in your first * paragraph. Because of the site limitations most private clubs would have difficulty/not be able to comply. See my site diagram for the Delyn club which is a large site.

10/10/2019 13:27:35

Law of diminishing returns. As the cost goes up less people sign up. Both figures grow at an exponential rate until the scheme collapses.

08/10/2019 17:36:31

My Steve that's quite cheap. Try paying legal fees when you take legal action against a house builder(don't ask, no really don't ask me how I know).

08/10/2019 15:47:00

If you build it yourself then to get it compliant with a specific product standard would require you to submit it and all design/production information to a test house for CE certification, least ways that's my interpretation. The important aspect that pushes all models into A3 is the requirement for lower ratings to have 'electronic conspicuity' (along with some other features). Look at my FB link to see how all this affects the DELYN MFC, and as I've said above I think this is a big site.

Welcome to the 'spiders web' that is DRES! It's not just the registration and testing. This other aspect is, I would suggest, even more important. With slight tweaks of the airspace/site requirements they can put everyone out of business by making it impossible to find a compliant site from which to fly.

Edited By GONZO on 08/10/2019 15:54:24

08/10/2019 15:24:03

A3 Airspace at Club Field This is the only way I've found to show this, by providing a link to FB. I think a lot of clubs are going to struggle with this.

(Something strange with my account as I can't even upload and save previous photo's etc)

Edited By GONZO on 08/10/2019 15:28:30

08/10/2019 14:33:10

On the point regarding A3 airspace/site distances etc. I generated a Google Earth image to show airspace limits for the Delyn MFC, which in my opinion has a generous flying site. Those on here who know the site I think would agree. It showed that a large part of the site to the West and North were very restricted and basically the area to the South round to the East were the only areas available. Although, using the South would mean flying behind the pits and flight line. I'd post it here but am unable to even save it to my account on here

Edited By GONZO on 08/10/2019 14:39:25

30/09/2019 16:25:38

"We would also encourage members not to rush into registering or taking the test when the DRES is eventually rolled out until we have issued further guidance"

I think it is also useful to highlight this sentence for all those that are chomping at the bit.

Thread: Balsacraft Limbo Dancer IC
27/09/2019 12:14:42

yes

Thread: How To Make an Ultra Micro R/C Plane & Beat the New Rules !
23/09/2019 17:37:51

Thought I'd add a comment re sub 250gm, not having to register and pay and not take a test.. If the regs go ahead as they are now there are a couple of other criteria that people should bear in mind in case one is confronted by a 'jobsworth' implementing these regs with the hope of extracting the fixed penalty on the spot fine that is quoted as the penalty for breaching the regs. As I understand it:

1/ THERE IS A MODEL SPEED LIMIT OF 19M/S OR APPROX 42.6 MPH.

2/ THERE IS A DISTANCE LIMIT FROM PILOT TO MODEL OF A MAX 400FT ACHIEVED BY GEO AWARENESS/FENCING OR REDUCED TX RF POWER.

Just saying so that you have a story ready if needed in the future. Range check reduced power would be a reasonable story for the max distance. The others are obviously slow planes except the DLG.

Fingers crossed there are some changes.

Thread: One handed operation
21/09/2019 15:00:56

Try Modelradioworkshop **LINK** He used to do single stick conversions. Give him a ring. Otherwise you need a friendly club electronics expert to do the conversion as sticks are available. Good luck.

Thread: MDS N/V
21/09/2019 14:53:35

Got several of these.

point 1/ make sure the NV ratchet spring is not pushing too hard on the needle and displacing it sideways.

point 2/ try modelfixings for 'o' ring Modelfixings (and lots of other useful items)

point 3/ measure distance between needle knurled inner shoulder to outer face of NV body when needle is in running position. Cut, ends to be square, a slightly longer piece of fuel tubing and install in this gap to act as a secondary seal(needs to be slightly squashed).

Thread: Battle of Britain day
16/09/2019 09:29:58

It was my birthday yesterday also, 72!. As a toddler living in SE London I used to get a fly past on my birthday. Any one else living in London late 40's and 50's remember this?

Thread: All weather flyer.
11/09/2019 17:13:38

When the trees are bending at 45deg and the rain and hail are drumming at the window the best thing to fly is an armchair by the fire.

Otherwise, one of the 'plastic' planes by ARC/Thunder Tiger(got both from when I ventured forth in colder weather) like the 'Ready 2' or the bigger 'Cessna' if you can find one. Unaffected by any amount of moisture, towards the heavy side for size, tricycle UC, side mounted engine so exhaust under plane to minimise 'gunge' and most importantly 'tough as old boots'. I commend these items to the house.

Of course if your like me with mileage under your belt and arthritis in the hands, knees, hips and lower spine you'll wait for warmer weather or suffer the consequences. You'll end up aching like the blazes, I know!

07/09/2019 16:46:34

Gordon,

Depends if the CAA give an exemption or not. Exemption at the moment but no guarantee under the new regs. Thermal soaring will be a bit pedestrian without an exemption.

John,

No chance. Preparing a chicken tikka for when the wife gets home(she keeps me ill shod and chained to the kitchen sink). Yes, I'm sure the BMFA will come out with guide lines in sufficient time. It's just interesting exploring different interpretations and ideas to see what shakes out.

07/09/2019 15:57:13

Don,

I'm afraid history, distant and recent, is littered with examples where governments have willingly let/caused even the deaths of their own citizens if they perceive its to the governments advantage. So, its not normally the case where governments shaft good folk just for the sake of it. But, if there is in their opinion a good reason to that will benefit them they wont give it a second thought.

07/09/2019 15:47:17

Steve J,

I was just asking for clarification, no need to get testy. So, your post is your interpretation/opinion of what ANO 94G para 7.2 means when extrapolated to the pupil/instructor environment from the autonomous/remote pilot environment?

Different opinions, time will tell. But, no doubt there will be a few with suitable sites, deep pockets for the increase in registration fee and determination to continue. So, not finished but very greatly diminished. This is supposed to be a relaxing hobby, not another challenging endeavour to be conquered and triumphed over.

07/09/2019 13:04:16

Wingman,

I agree. IMO this legislation will finish this hobby in a few years. By design or accident(unlikely) the result will be to shut down over time the activity by stealth rather than an outright ban.

Thread: Commons Science and Technology Committee Enquiry on Drones
07/09/2019 12:30:48

I wonder how many are active aero modellers and active RC modellers?????

07/09/2019 12:02:00

Steve J,

ANO 94G para 7.2 is not specific to the trainer situation. So where are the exact words that are specific to the training situation "the instructor is the remote pilot when they are moving the control surface and the student is when they are." This would seem to be an unequivocal definitive requirement for the student to have taken and passed the test before training

07/09/2019 11:54:00

Wingman, so who else other than the club? Not the instructor because, as explored earlier, he does not have ownership/responsibility of management of the 'club trainer' which would make him the 'operator', the club does.

Support Our Partners
electricwingman 2017
Slec
CML
Sussex Model Centre
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!