By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Lindsay Todd

Here is a list of all the postings Lindsay Todd has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: RCM&E 2019 Fly-In - pics etc,,
16/09/2019 00:32:56

Could only make Saturday but what a great day, spent more time chatting to friends old and new and grabbed a couple of flights as well. First visit to Buckminster and I was really impressed. So many nice models but TN's Concorde was really rather impressive alongside his Harrier.

tn concorde.jpg

Linds

Thread: Ashbourne 2019
12/09/2019 23:31:49

Count me in please missed out last year. Linds

Thread: Brian Winch
25/08/2019 22:35:45

Very sad news indeed, I will certainly miss his contribution he had a skill in making the technical aspects easy to understand only possibly by someone with undeniable depth of experience and an enthusiasm for the subject matter that came across in his articles. my condolences to his family and friends. Lindsay

Thread: Terrysaur
20/08/2019 23:38:00

Funky Chicken that's a classic, why did they ever stop making that, always wanted one.

20/08/2019 23:27:40

Oh I love that, is that a kit?

Thread: How many mass build Renaissance
18/08/2019 19:20:07

Plan to be there with the original prototype so count me in for some formation as well. Linds

Thread: Terrysaur
18/08/2019 19:18:42

Thanks Stephen, yes all pretty basic stuff really, waiting to get back out and get some more photos and video done, lots of things going on getting in the way currently and model flying has had to take a back seat again for a few weeks but light at the end of the tunnel. I think this photo really shows off the body shape quite nicely though.

7f5a6134.jpg

Linds

11/08/2019 16:18:54

Well it did need some lead about 5ounces, so a hole was ground out under the main bulk of the head and together with lashings of epoxy the lead was deposited up front, when dry a bit of filler and further glass cloth and resin finished the job

ballast.jpg

The ballast might need adjusting after painting but the cunning plan was to focus the paint work to the front end so the head, neck forward body and leading edge of the wing so with luck the paint going on would not affect the balance unduly set at the rear of the main spar either side of the fuselage.

I did add a few details such as scales and skin lines and folds by using white glue through a pipet, its a bit like adding rivets in a different way and just adds a bit of surface detail before painting. ps don't forget the teeth!

For painting I went with a basic set of artists acrylic paints and basically just went for it and painted it in a fairly bright colour scheme, nobody knows what colour they were so I guess anything goes.

img_4797.jpg

with the head done, and I am pretty pleased with that, the body is a bit more basic but seemed to fit the bill and blends in with the head, a bit of shadow helps create a more 3d look to the body than just a plain colour.

img_4794.jpg

A few set up details, a check over and time to take to the hills

more soon. Linds

11/08/2019 16:03:56

img_4688.jpg

I used aliphatic glue to bond the blue foam which seems to work fine and also makes life a little easier when you come to sand as it does not ball up like pva can. With both sides glued and dry I sketched a few lines and angles around the head as cutting lines to start to create the head detail. the foam was quite simply cut away with a razor saw and hacksaw blade at this stage

img_4689.jpg

Now for some fun with varies grades of sandpaper and various shaped tools to roll the paper round to do a bit of sculpting. I went for the typical terranosaur look but you could let your imagination run riot as I don't think the shape of the head, within reason, will affect the flight performance too much.

img_4697.jpg

next was too add some more foam just in front of the front former that forms part of the neck

img_4711.jpg

next job time for some more glass cloth and acrylic resin. I used very fine multi directional cloth so it forms around the shapes a little easier, then trim excess away, and more resin over the top to build up the finish and of course added strength

Next job was to fit the wing in place fit the battery and receiver so the model was effectively flight ready and then take a look at how much ballast would be needed to get it to balance. This model needs ballast, I new that and the concept was always to create a pocket in the head to glue some lead in place.

more soon. Linds

11/08/2019 14:22:55

img_4760.jpg

ok so now for the interesting bit, the head. I use blue foam for this again but soft balsa would be just fine, but fist job was to transfer the shape onto the foam

img_4686.jpg

Cut out and glue to each side of the central profile to we have the required thickness.

more soon Linds

11/08/2019 14:17:20

tail 4.jpg

On the underside I used blue foam block sanded and carved to shape, soft balsa block would work just as well.

I also took the opportunity to cover the tail plane with iron on fabric and then used some more glass cloth with acrylic resin with a slight overlap to the covering.

tail 5.jpg

The rest of the fuselage body was also covered with glass cloth and acrylic resin plus a bit of filler here and there. I think I used 4 or 5 coats of resin with a light sand in between which gave me a good enough surface for painting.

tail 6.jpg

next job was to fit the wing bolt plate and servo rails together with the rear snakes for the V Tail. These were quite simply drilled through using a brass tube with a couple of slots cut in the end, fitted to my drill and used to cut through the tail and into the fuselage. Actually much easier to do than it sounds. Wing bolts were set by positioning the wing against the front former, fitting the dowels and then drilling down through the top of the wing having marked the position of the plate.

tail 7.jpg

elevators had ply plates fitted for horns, covered with heat shrink fabric and attached to the tail plane with fuzzy mylar hinges. I spent some time ensuring the rod length from servo (standard size futaba) to each elevator was very similar so the control throws would be the same without extensive electronic tweaking on the transmitter.

Plenty of space for a 4 cell nimh 2300mah up front and room for the receiver in the rear.

Next job was to cover the wing and fit the mini HS81MG servos I seem to always use these days in the underside of the wing attached to 1.5mm plates that are screw fixed into the wing.

11/08/2019 11:21:29

I'll jump forward to the tail plane and elevators, very simply the main tail plane being a V tail is made in two halves from 6mm balsa strips over the plan, the halves are then joined at 120 degrees. I re enforced the joint with a little glass cloth each side. The elevators are from 1.5mm sheet with 6mm leading edges and 3mm riblets top and bottom. the leading edge being sanded to a round and a general taper front to rear.

tail 2.jpg

the tail plane is now slotted into the rear tail up against the rear former and then wedges of 3mm balsa glued either side.

tail 1.jpgThe top sheeting is 3mm that spans across the tail to the rear former following the shape of the fuselage as indicted by the black line as shown above.

more soon. Linds

11/08/2019 11:12:15

Thank Stephen, always good to try something different I think.

The fuselage of body starts by cutting out a profile section from 3mm hard balsa or lite-ply. 6mm balsa former halves are then cut and glued each side of the profile. 6mm square balsa stringers tie everything together.

img_4670.jpg

img_4673.jpg

Next job is to sheet the fuselage with 3mm balsa cut to varies strip widths and glued around the formers a little bit like traditional ship planking. it takes a while and a little patience but the result is a strong and stable form.

img_4682.jpg

Now I had a bit of an accident on the bench a broke the tail section of the profile off by knocking the body off the bench so normally there would be a tail section with a slot that the v tail would slot into as per the 3d image already shown. not to worry I grafted a new section in place and reinforced.

09/08/2019 21:27:15

I figured this 3d might make my waffling easier to understand.

ts trailing edge 3d.jpg

The fuselage or body is a bit like building a boat hull using a central keel or profile with formers added either side and then the body sheeted with strips of 3mm balsa and the head and neck modelled from blue foam although soft balsa would work just as well but I'll add some more photos and cover that in more detail soon.

ts body 3d.jpg

more soon. Linds

09/08/2019 21:17:34

Looks great Kiwi.

for Terrysaur I started with the wings built as two separate wing panels joined with ply spar braces. The main difference from normal was that the spars are 6mm medium to hard balsa curved to start with and were pinned down onto the building board first starting with the lower spar first then a 6mm spacer at the centre section and the top spar added such that it sits on the 6mm spacer at the centre and onto the lower spar at the tip so that the spars taper from centre to tip overall. front 1.5mm balsa webbing was then glued in place. A 3mm ply wing spar brace was then glued in place to the rear of the spar and then the wing ribblets were then added to the front and rear of the spar together with 6mm square rear trailing edge and two laminates of 3mm balsa for the leading edge.

img_4625.jpg

At this stage the wing looks quite solid but there is a lot of tension in it due to the curve of the spar and leading edge so the next job was to add the trailing edge sheeting such that the shape stays stable. The wing can then be removed and the second panel made and joined with the spar brace. The centre section sheeting can also be added

img_4634.jpg

The leading edge sheeting can also be added which will stabilise the structure and allow the wing to be flipped upside down so we can add the trailing edge which is basically 1.5mm balsa cut to shape built up as an extension of the underside trailing edge sheeting. I also remembers to grind some slots in the ribs for the servo cables but this will be shown as holes in the ribs on the final plan. I also added a further ply spar brace and 6mm balsa for the wing dowels to fix into.

img_4655.jpg

To support the extended trailing edge ribs are added to the trailing edge extending of the 6mm rear spar line including some soft balsa blocks for the wing bolts to pass through.

img_4649.jpg

The top of the rear was then sheeted with 1.5 balsa trimmed to fit and sanded and filled to blend in

img_4656.jpg

The leading edge sheeting was then completed. I propped and jigged the wing at this stage with the tip raised by 6mm to build some washout into the wing and then added the wing tips from 6mm soft balsa sheet.

img_4668.jpg

The ailerons are simply 1.5 balsa sheet with 6mm balsa leading edge and 3mm balsa ribs. Diagonal 3mm ribs were also added together with 1mm ply bracing for the horn fixings top and bottom

img_4662.jpg

more soon Linds

04/08/2019 19:32:23

jurasic lark.jpg

So here is something a little bit different and just a bit of fun for the slopes. test flights done and the model fly's quite nicely so build blog over the next few weeks as time allows.

terry saur 1.jpg

more soon Linds

Thread: header pipe
18/05/2019 21:35:19

Hi John, from memory I have a figure of about 14 inches from the piston centreline to the cone on the pipe however this will depend on individual motor, prop and fuel being used so some experimentation will be required by starting with a longer section of connecting silicon tube and reducing the length say 1/4 inch at a time whilst checking for peak rpm and throttle response. hope that helps. Lindsay

Thread: Matt's renaissance build
12/05/2019 21:21:49

Nice one, it struck me that a biplane version would work well. Lindsay

Thread: Tony Oneilll Renaissance
12/05/2019 21:18:13

Excellent well done hope you enjoy it. Lindsay

Thread: Bristol Blenheim Mk1V
25/03/2019 00:19:03

Hi Monz, thanks for the interest, in due course I hope it will be available, have had a number of requests including some larger versions from the LMA but I have to get the prototype finished first and some test flights done so that is still a few months away. There has been more progress and will update this thread in due course.

Linds

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
CML
Pepe Aircraft
Slec
Addlestone Models
Gliders Distribution
electricwingman 2017
Wings & Wheels 2019
Cambridge Gliding Club
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
New Poll - Sticky situations...
Q: How often - when using superglue - do you end up with it on your fingers?

Every time
 Occasionally
 Sometimes
 Rarely
 Never
 Wear rubber gloves

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us