By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Martin McIntosh

Here is a list of all the postings Martin McIntosh has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: New EDF Mini Jets- Jet Provost & Folland Gnat
31/03/2020 17:26:01

Mine is now nearly ready for spraying but have not yet made the launching handle. Is this really needed?

Thread: Low wingers,very twitchy,recommend expo.YES/NO
28/03/2020 10:26:09

When I flew comps. I mostly used a Prestige 6 with Orbit sticks. These were very heavy and of a completely different design to any used now. This meant that there was a certain amount of play around centre. This was used to my advantage because to fly inverted or use a little top rudder I simply leaned on the stick to take up the play.

Later I got sponsored by Simprop briefly. Their sticks were accurate and super light, no use to me whatsoever.

When I took up the hobby again after a layoff I bought JR which I still use. It took a very long time to get used to the sticks.

27/03/2020 23:47:15

The build pics seem to show that piece left on when cutting the fus sides but it would not be practical. I am going to glue on the wing, add the scraps to fill in and only then sheet the bottom in one piece.

Thread: Forum members' new models: Let's see them.
27/03/2020 20:03:57

Somehow I don`t think anyone will be going there for the forseable future Jon.

27/03/2020 18:51:06

Don`t know if you have looked at my Gnat but in the pics you will see a small restrictor added at the outlet. This was to give it a more jet like sound but you can actually hear the fan speed up as well. I have not tried to take any thrust measurements with or without this. Try sticking your finger up the back end and you will see what I mean.

Thread: Low wingers,very twitchy,recommend expo.YES/NO
27/03/2020 18:44:04

Wise words as usual Peter. I have skipped through this thread but note that an Acrowatt e was mentioned.

Long ago in my F3A days I would almost have given my right arm for expo which was unheard of then, especially on rudder.

These days when I set up a new model of whatever type I use 30% on low rates and 40% on high which gives me a wide choice on a maiden and I do not possess one which has no expo at all otherwise I may as well use £40 basic sets. In my club I sometimes hear `I don`t like expo because I have never tried it`. Why have a fancy set of gear if you do not use it properly?

I have been to the R/C Hotel quite a few times and on the last visit most models were of the foamie e type, none with expo and they frown on you adding it. Talk about twitchy! Far too much control throw as well. I am more used to models which will not spin at full deflection on low rates.

As a general guide, if your model will stall on full elevator on low then you have too much movement or the cg is too far back. Set the ailerons on low to give 3 rolls in 5sec, quite slow.

Another tip which I have suggested to people and it works is to increase the Tx spring tension to maximum which can give you much more feel to the model. Most sets these days have very light sticks which I for one do not get on with.

Thread: Forum members' new models: Let's see them.
27/03/2020 18:02:15

I take my hat off to you. Way beyond anything I could contemplate doing.

27/03/2020 17:58:36

Years ago I tried to make model by P.E. Norman, son of Marcus the DF guru, and contacted him about it. Evidently the intake/efflux ratio is critical and he sent me their experimental data which of course I do not have now. I never did sum up the courage to run my home made 5" fan on a K&B pylon 40 motor.

There is a YT video on here somewhere of a guy experimenting with efflux dia. v EDF dia. It would seem from that that Tony`s are the best compromise, in fact the efflux could not be any larger on the models and still keep them near scale. I have read that these are ballistic anyway, so why fit a 4s? You will reduce flight times and need to take a change of underwear.

Interesting that yours shed its blades. You were not running a 3s on 4s were you?

All of the ones I have were tested by just holding in my hand. All OK until the latest for my JP which burned my fingers. I must have distorted the case a bit because I could see where the blades had touched. Other than a scuff mark it seems fine now.

Not that there is any rush with flying banned but I have been waiting ages for the mouldings and some tissue covering, no doubt due to the shortage of staff/couriers at the moment. Can get no further until these arrive.

Thread: 2020 Events Cancelled
27/03/2020 13:21:28

Oh dear, I just binned my forms.

Thread: LiPo storage
26/03/2020 19:34:58

I just don`t get this discharger thing. Do they take them down to a preset level? You would then have to stand over a charger until they reached 3.8V/cell. Why not simply get a RC6S or similar from Overlander?

26/03/2020 19:10:06

I had some of those under the Kokam brand. They discharged to zero and made the packs scrap.

26/03/2020 17:16:38

Just had a look. Pilots are OK but no way am I paying £5.30 for shipping a few grams.

Thread: Mark's TN Hawk Build
26/03/2020 14:27:52

Not had a failure (yet) on any of my HK ones.

26/03/2020 14:25:44

Unfortunately not. The patch and wind conditions have never been quite right. I was hoping to get a maiden from some tarmac but this did not happen either.

The other thing is that I did not cut a cheat hole in the underside of the fus, not realising its importance. The thrust without it is very poor and I doubt if it would even run on grass.

Plenty of time to catch up on these things now that the field is closed.

26/03/2020 13:24:42

I could not tell you that as the info was gleaned from a guy who knows far more about them both than I do.

Thread: LiPo storage
26/03/2020 11:07:16

A charger with a storage program is cheap enough, thought most of them had this now. Certainly worth doing, I have been keeping mine fully charged ready to go and now have loads which only hold 2/3 capacity.

Thread: Shops closing
25/03/2020 20:14:03

SMC is still doing mail order. Great place to deal with too.

Thread: TN Concorde
25/03/2020 12:52:08

Just took some more pics now that the sun is out. Alas this will be its last outing for a while due to field closure.

concorde 023.jpg

concorde 024.jpg

concorde 025.jpg

Thread: Has Your Club Made Any Decisions Regarding The Coronavirus?
24/03/2020 19:18:43

Just had a mail from my club stating that flying is now banned. Bit of a knee jerk reaction considering that in a wide open space we would not exactly be huddled together.

Half way through a TN Provost which I thought would keep me busy until better weather came along. Don`t want any more bloody models since I now have at least eight awaiting a test flight!

Don`t tell me to clear the shed because the last time I did that and had a clean bench top I filled it with the above.

Thread: Laser Engines - Technical questions
24/03/2020 11:35:05

I have had mine a long time with no switch problems on 14.8V. I suppose a suppressor could help (capacitor and resistor in series, connected across the motor).

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Support Our Partners
electricwingman 2017
Cambridge Gliding Club
Sussex Model Centre
Slec
Wings & Wheels 2019
CADMA
CML
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us