By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Martin McIntosh

Here is a list of all the postings Martin McIntosh has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Classic Aerobatic Model Photo Thread
02/08/2020 12:38:05

My new Super Aeromaster from the Great Planes plan. Original dates back to 1966 I believe so it should qualify just about.

Converted to four ailerons/servos and powered by a Laser 80. Cowl and spats have been moulded from grp, 3.5kg auw.

It flies as steady as a rock even in a gusty wind and from test flights so far there seems to be little or no rudder coupling; loops are dead straight.

aeromaster 056.jpg

aeromaster 063.jpg

aeromaster 058.jpg

Thread: Forum members' new models: Let's see them.
02/08/2020 11:17:23

Very nice, no problems seeing that then.

Thread: Battery connectors
30/07/2020 20:42:52

I would forget Deans now since most common packs come with the superior XT series.

Thread: Mini flight stabilisers
30/07/2020 20:39:14

Have flown my Limbo Dancer and Extra 300 with the stabs fitted. Disaster with the Limbo but nothing to do with the stab so on to the Extra which flew very steadily in a brisk gusty wind which it would not have done normally so I would say that they are a success. Minimum gain used.

Thread: Lidl Auto Gyro Glider
28/07/2020 21:52:03

Yes I still have the `full house` one plus an unstarted `kit`, but my Atoms sit forlornly in the loft. Must dig them out again.

Thread: Top marks to Modelfixings.
28/07/2020 21:45:19

Got a load of nuts, bolts and other bits the next day, BUT, a flyer from Naked Wines was included for a £75 order discount off a case of mixed wine for about £115 inc. shipping which seemed like a good deal. Even though it stated that I would not have to join any sort of wine club they set up a direct debit of £20 pm on my card so be warned.

Thread: How bad can things get
28/07/2020 21:34:00

About three years ago I sent a Tx and 3 Rx`s back to HK UK branch because they had the wrong s/w; not a major problem. I would still be waiting if I had not demanded it all back after three months of inactivity and got my Rx`s plus a complete new 10ch set.

Also trying to buy a Doblo from a friend today but the DVLA site the insurers use rejects the vehicle since it is an MPV, not a van or a car. Needless to say that the DVLA email, on line chat and phones are out of use `due to Covid`. If I got a parking ticket tomorrow they would no doubt be available to give my details and it would be on the doormat before I got home.

Thread: Lidl Auto Gyro Glider
27/07/2020 21:20:29

As Richard said, now remove the wing. You will find it to be a different kettle of fish!

Thread: Tiger Moth Aileron Servos
26/07/2020 17:30:31

stampe 009.jpg

Some of you guys seem to do it the heavy/hard way. All you need for a vertically mounted servo is a 1/8th balsa box to iron the covering to, and a couple of pieces of 3mm lite ply glued to 1/4 balsa and faced with 16th birch as above.

Edited By Martin McIntosh on 26/07/2020 17:34:07

26/07/2020 17:17:00

Just installed one into a very old Limbo Dancer, it was a very tight squeeze so I shall see how it goes when we get some more suitable weather. Next will be an ARTF Extra 300 electric which I have tried on an ORX Rx/stab with limited success.

Thread: Tiger Moth Aileron Servos
25/07/2020 20:17:06

I use a lot of Corona 239MG ones which are side mounted, 10mm thick, cheap, 4kg and reliable. So easy to fit in almost any wing. A plate over the top on the average model is a complete waste of time in my humble opinion. I do use standard servos sometimes when the wing thickness will allow a vertical mount but never again on their side, it is just too much trouble.

Thread: Fixing lead inside engine cowl
22/07/2020 19:22:19

I have tried casting lead into the spinner which can work if it is a substantial one but I cannot recommend that route. The horse shoe method works for me but not on a full grp cowl.

I would be interested to find out how you get on with that motor. On the face of it and the mag. test report they look great but the one I bought was 2000 revs down on a small prop. due to the cams breaking up after less than two tanks of fuel on a test bench.576058.jpg

22/07/2020 11:47:59

Hi Jeff, success.

Connected an iA6B to a new UBEC with an input voltage of 6.6 and o/p 5V/3A and VRC does just as you said it would. NX3 gains set to 2/10 o`clock. I have turned off the travel in the unwanted direction so that I cannot inadvertently set it to HH.

22/07/2020 09:11:24

I have just dug out my i10 instruction book, not that it is really needed, charged up the battery and am about to have another look at it. The above sounds promising, just what I want thanks. Should presumably work on a JR slider too.

I shall have to use an electric set up at the moment because of the voltage problem. If this works I may look into using a 5V regulator as opposed to a UBEC for i/c.

21/07/2020 19:58:51

It is so that I can switch the thing off if it is set miles out, and to be able to fine tune it in flight without landing all the time to change the settings. Must be something out there which allows this.

21/07/2020 17:23:53

No, you cannot have the three position switch and variable in flight gain at the same time from one input channel. Ok though if you want the gyro permanently on.

Thread: Aeromaster
21/07/2020 14:37:40

I fitted the fin first which was a mistake making shaping that block quite difficult.

For the u/c I laminated 6mm lite ply and 1/8th birch between the LE former and the firewall. This was still quite easy to shape at the front and gives a strong mount base.

Thread: Best modern fillers.
21/07/2020 11:31:00

Polyester can be as fast or slow as you like, just experiment with the quantity of hardener ( you don`t need much!).

21/07/2020 08:58:08

Nothing modern about what I often use. It is a mixture of Bucks Composites lightweight fairing compound and Halfords polyester resin. The thicker you make it the easier it sands and you have time to shape it before sets really hard.

Years ago this was available commercially from Germany so I just copied it.

20/07/2020 20:27:30

OK Jeff, I shall have a go.

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Slec
electricwingman 2017
Sussex Model Centre
CML
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!